Chapter 11

Love thy Enemy

Jonghyun was in utter shock as he saw the numerous tattoos that Jinki had got. Why did he have to conceal all of them? What Jinki had done was exactly was Jonghyun's daily routine was. In this regard, it seemed as if Jinki was hiding something as well.

"Jonghyun-ah, I have something to tell you"

That reluctant admission scared Jonghyun, who by now, had a rough idea of what Jinki's secret was.

"I think I know what you want to tell me, but you don't have the tattoo on your chest"

As Jinki sat down and pointed to his calf, Jonghyun saw the tattoo that would doom their relationship forever.

"Jinki-ah, you're a yakuza? How could you do this?"

At that moment, all Jonghyun felt was complete and utter horror. Not only was Jinki a yakuza, but he was from the rival organization. How could he have kept this a secret for so long? First things first, no one else should come to know of their connection, or both of them would be dead.

"Mr. Z found me as I was looking for you. It was you, Jonghyun-ah who threatened that family. I saw you"

"I had to lie. You know how secretive the work has to be"

They loved each other, but they both knew they had to stay loyal to the Family, else they would lose everything, even their lives. After a long discussion, it was decided that things would go back to the way they were before, so people around them would be none the wiser. Once Jonghyun had left, Jinki sat down and for once, thought about how difficult it would be to pretend as though he didn't know Jonghyun. How could he, when his face lit up like a Christmas tree each time they saw each other?

*************************************************************************

*One month later*

By this time, Jinki had become well known at the organization for being the one who 'cleans up' all the messes. His job was to ensure that their suspects or defectors never spoke again. If Mr. Z or anyone else ever got the slightest suspicion that he was deceiving them all, he would die. Or more accurately, he would be executed. For the general public, he was a bodyguard and for the family, he was one of their best assassins. Drugging people, slitting their throats, shooting and stabbing became a part of his daily routine and he hoped that Jonghyun would never have to encounter him whilst he was on a job. However, as his luck would have it, the day's assignment was to take out one of the senior members of the Morita Tenshin.

After calling his target and posing as a buyer, Jinki refilled the bullets in his gun and set off, followed by his team to complete the assassination. As expected, his target, Mr. Y was accompanied by a few members of the Morita Tenshin who surrounded the table at the restaurant he was sitting at. This made his job a lot harder, but Jinki was quite experienced by now. Sitting opposite Mr. Y and making polite conversation, Jinki purposely dropped his fork and the silencer of the gun as he bent down. Concealing the gun under the napkin on his lap, Jinki made a big show of enjoying his meal. Looking around, he noticed a few tables being occupied by his team and breathed a sigh of relief that they were there to support him once the deed had been done.

Soon, he'd got his victim to become comfortable with him and lower his guard. Once again, under the pretext of dropping something, Jinki raised his gun under the table and squeezed the trigger. Since the table was covering the mark's stomach, those around him didn't notice that anything was wrong. Continuing his conversation with the dead body that hadn't yet been discovered, Jinki quickly stood up and walked slowly towards the restroom so as to seem nonchalant. Spotting his teammates leaving, Jinki locked the restroom door and climbed out of the window, running towards the car. As he neared the car, he could hear the sound of screams being emitted from within the restaurant. Jumping into the car, he saw the bodyguards of the target rushing outside brandishing their weapons. Escaping to the safehouse in the nick of time, Jinki and his mates equipped themselves with all the weapons available and braced for the attack that was sure to come.

Soon enough, the door of the safe house was blasted open, and Jinki heard the sound of the Morita Tenshin army making their way towards them, fuelled by their anger and thirst for vengeance. Jinki's heart sank as he noticed that Jonghyun was amongst the men who had just entered, brandishing their weapons. That was the beginning of the shooting battle between the two rival groups. Jonghyun and Jinki were careful to ensure that they missed the shots fired at each other while injuring the others among the rival group. The only way for them to be able to move out safely was with a white lie, and Jinki nodded at Jonghyun before letting out a loud gasp of recognition.

"Jonghyun-ah, I can't protect you the way I used to"

"I don't need your protection, traitor"

"Get away from here before I slaughter you. You don't know me anymore. I'm not the same person that I used to be"

"I'm the only one here who knows you, Jinki. You can't hide or escape from me anymore. I'm going to destroy you"

This admission of theirs made their respective teams look at them with a new light, as they moved aside to let them battle it out.