Chapter 4

Love thy Enemy

Still feeling annoyed, Jinki allowed himself to be led away by an older gentleman near him, who tried to calm him down.

"No, son. You should never get involved with this kind of people. Five years ago, they chopped off the arms of a man who tried to stop them"

"I can't just stand by and watch this happening"

"Please, listen to me"

Stepping back, but not letting his eyes leave the scene, Jinki felt his blood boil even more furiously as the children started to cry even louder. As he was about to leave, he caught a glimpse of the 4 yakuza members leaving. One of them looked vaguely familiar to him from the back, which led Jinki to follow the group stealthily. As he watched them get into a black car with tinted windows, he was able to see the side profile of one of the men. This one was very familiar to him.

"J..Jonghyun-ah?"

Filled with shock, he picked up his phone with shaking hands and dialed the first number he'd learned by heart.

"Hello?"

"Jonghyun-ah, where are you now?"

"I'm at the office"

"I'll be there in 10 minutes. I need to see you"

For the first time, Jinki felt as if Jonghyun was lying to him. In any case, if Jonghyun wasn't at his office when Jinki got there, then his question would be answered. Or more honestly, his question would give rise to even more doubts. Jinki drove like a maniac to get to Jonghyun's office as fast as he could. After asking the girl in the reception to buzz Jonghyun, he waited. Within a minute, he heard the sound of the elevator whirring and out came Jonghyun, looking very professional and handsome in a cream, full sleeved shirt and black pants.

"Jinki-ah, this is a surprise"

"Jonghyun-ah, you're here? I thought....oh, never mind"

"Now that you're here, do you want to grab lunch before you leave?"

"No...I'm not hungry. I'll see you later"

Jinki was filled with confusion. Had he seen someone else? He could've sworn it was Jonghyun, but seeing as Jonghyun had been at work all this while, it meant that he was wrong. How could Jinki be wrong about this? He'd known Jonghyun ever since they were kids. Did Jonghyun have a doppelganger? That must be it. There wasn't any other logical explanation for what he'd seen.

***************************************************************************************

Meanwhile, Jonghyun was sweating buckets. He'd heard the conviction in Jinki's voice when he'd called and just kept praying that he hadn't been spotted. His heart leaped to his throat when Jinki had announced that he'd be at Jonghyun's office soon. What most people didn't know was the fact that the Family had installed a lot of secret passages and pathways to and from their various buildings. Gathering his energy, Jonghyun had ended up sprinting through one of the passages and managed to reach the office in the nick of time. Hurriedly casting his leather jacket aside, he grabbed the first shirt he could see. He'd just finished buttoning up the shirt when he got buzzed that Jinki was waiting for him. That was definitely a close shave for him. Jonghyun knew there was no way for him to escape next time. If only he could do the decent thing and just be completely honest with his boyfriend. Who was he kidding? Of course he couldn't tell Jinki the truth. Jinki would just absolutely despise him, and wouldn't be able to understand that he was stuck. There was absolutely no way for Jonghyun to leave the family. The only ones who were able to leave were the ones who were dead. Or let off by the Godfather for doing a good job for years. He'd only been with the family for seven years, which definitely wasn't enough for him to get let off. He'd have to continue concealing his 'job' from Jinki and keep hoping he would never find out. Knowing Jinki as well as he did, Jonghyun was sure he would go back to the area and try to do some sleuthing of his own. Jinki had to have seen him when he was with the boys, dealing with the family who didn't repay their loan. The first thing he had to do, was damage control. Putting his leather jacket back on, and putting on a bit of black eyeliner, Jonghyun set off, to their apartment. The boys had removed half of their furniture in lieu of money, but had given the family two more days time to pay up. Cocking his gun, Jonghyun knocked at their door.

"Yakuza, I'll do my best to pay the money in two days. Please don't hurt us"

"I have a job for you. If you do it well, I'll give you a week's time to pay us back"

"Anything. I'll do anything"

Thinking quickly, Jonghyun pulled out his phone, which had a picture of Jinki as his lock screen, and showed it to the man.

"If you ever see this person, you should pretend as if you don't know who I am. If you convince him, then I'll convince Mr. X to give you more time to pay the loan. If you fail, I'll be back to shoot you in the head. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir. I promise I won't fail"