Calico Cats and Straight Jackets

Serendipity

I'm not crazy.

I am a very calm, bright, and SANE person. I just happen to have an over active imagination. I always have. It's my biggest strength, and also my biggest weakness.

I'm use to the teasing by now. People saying that I'm weird, that I most not be from this planet, etc. It's not my fault I see things the way I do. Now that I'm older, I know better then to tell people the things I see and hear.

But back then, I thought it was normal or cool. But after awhile, people started to treat me different, calling me a freak, and teasing me.

"Taehyung, are you sure you're okay?" My mother asked me as she felt my forehead. "Yes mom, I was just joking with you. I didn't see or hear anything. I was just playing with Mr. Chung's cat." My mother sighed and nodded. "Alright, come back inside in a little bit, okay? I'm going to get dinner ready."

I nodded to my mother before I ran back outside. I looked around my backyard. There was no sign of the cat. I sighed out in frustration. "Stupid cat."

"Hey, that's not a very nice way to talk to your only friend." I sighed before I turned around and stared at the cat. It was a very beautiful cat. It was calico and had piercing blue eyes, unusual, I know. But nothing in my life was normal.

"People think I'm crazy. They don't believe me." I watched as the cat walked over to the tree and sat down next to it. I walked over and sat next to him. "You're special." He said. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Sure. Everyone thinks-!" I lowered my voice. "Everyone thinks I'm crazy."

The cat sighed. "You're not. I promise. There are others like you, I could take you to them if you wanted." I looked through the back door. "No... I-I can't leave my mother. It's just the two of us." I watched as the cat stood back up on its legs. "As I've told you before, there are others out there like you. There are also those out there willing to hunt you down and skin you alive. You staying here, puts your mother in danger. But, do as you please. I'll be around."

I watched as he jumped up onto the wall ledge. I stood up. "You do know I'm only ten, right? Why would-!" I asked him. "Taehyung?" My mother asked softly. I looked at the cat then back at her. "Mom-" "Taehyung... what are you doing?" "He! Mom, I swear- Mom, he can talk! I'm not crazy!" I walked over to the cat. "Show her!" I yelled.

My mother walked over and tried to pull me away. "Meow." I scoffed. "Some friend you are, you stupid cat!" "Kim Taehyung!" My mother yelled as she turned me around and grabbed me by my shoulders. She shook me a bit. "I can't take it anymore! Taehyung, you are ten years old! Something is seriously wrong with you!"

I watched as my mother fell to her knees and began to cry as she hugged my waist. "Where did I go wrong with you? What did I do-" I wiped my tears and hugged my mother's head to my stomach. "I'm sorry mommy... I'm not crazy though... I promise-" My mother shook her head and stood up, wiping away at her tears.

"Come on. It's time to eat." She said before she walked back inside. I glared over at the cat. "I'm sorry, Taehyung. I told you, only you and others like you can hear me." I scoffed and shooed him away. "Taehyung-" " off! Leave! I never want to see you again!" I said before I ran inside and up to my room.

I cried into my pillow, sobbing for what seemed like hours until my mother walked in. "Tae... sweetheart, you need to eat." I sat up and wiped my eyes. "I'm really-" "Don't apologize, we're going to get you help. I already called the doctors. I should of gotten you help sooner.. I'm sorry." I stood up and walked over to her. "Let's just go eat, okay?" I nodded and followed her to the kitchen.

The next couple of years went by, six to be exact. It was coming up on my seventeenth birthday in about two months. I was still in therapy, I might not have the talking cat bothering me anymore, but strange things still happened around me.

I was walking into school when something across the street caught my eye. I furrowed my eyebrows and completely turned to look for it. I slowly started to walk across the street. A hand clamped down onto my shoulder before I could go. "Mr. Kim. Skipping school now are we?"

I sighed and turned to face the principal. "No, ma'am. I thought I saw something-" "Just a cat, Mr. Kim. Come on, you're going to be late." She pulled me by my jacket sleeve. I turned my head and caught sight of the cat. I sighed out in relief, seeing as it was a black cat and not calico. I furrowed my eyebrows as the cat seemed to look back at me.

I sighed as I went to my locker. My headache had already started before class had. "Taehyung!" I smiled a bit as my best and only friend, Hoseok ran up to me. He pushed his glasses up and smiled at me. "Hey man." I said.

Hoseok smiled even brighter. You'd hardly ever see him without a smile. Hoseok was a year older then me, he got held back because the previous schools he was at failed to help him with his learning disabilities. I patted Hoseok's shoulder to get him walking and talking after I had closed my locker. I listened to him as best as I could, but my ADHD was getting the best of me.

I looked out the window we were passing by. Another cat. I got a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach as another one showed up, seemingly talking to the other. I shook my head and tried my hardest to focus on Hoseok. "It was so awesome, Taehyung! Man, you gotta come over and see it!" I nodded and gave him a side hug. "For sure, after school?" Hoseok smiled and nodded "Meet you at your locker?!" He shouted after me. "Yeah! See you!" I shouted back as I ran towards my class.

I sighed as I sat down in my seat. Jackson, the school bully walked past me and kicked my seat. "." He said under his breath. I just sighed and ignored him. "Whoa, look at those cats! Why are they sitting in the tree?" Someone said.  I looked out the window, panic spread through me. There were six of them now, with more climbing up the tree. My breath hitched in my chest as I noticed where they were looking. Or more like whom they were looking at.

Me.