Nine

Inhumans

Through the chaos. Jongin was bringing the freed Inhumans one or two at a time. He informed us that the police arrived earlier than expected. I was leading the newly teleported people into a room where we had some fairly decent sized cots, pillow and blankets. I told them to stay here and I’ll come back and see them once everyone is taken here.

After escorting two more, I feel a small hand grab mine. I look down, seeing a young girl with dark skin. She looked like she was one of the Inhumans taken from another country far away from here, she was terrified. She look about ten years old. In her right hand she was holding a knife, her hand shaking.

I lean down, “It’ll be ok. Do you understand me?”

She shakes her head no, eyes filled with tears. I put my hand over hers, the one with the knife, “You are safe,” I said in English. I learned ages ago, though it was very rusty.

“Are you sure,” She asks, her accent sounding like she’s from England.

I nod, “They do not know we are here,” I say, carefully taking the knife. “We will get you home. To parents. Safe.”

She nods, wiping tears from her eyes. I give her a small hug, walking back to the entrance, the knife now in my hand. I a few more Inhumans, hearing gunshots and fighting over the ear piece. Worry set itself in. Jongin teleports once again, and I see the neon haired woman from before, though her hair was now a mix of blue and purple. She was holding a cut on her hand, cursing.

“All the information is taken care of,” She says, her voice softer than I thought it would be. She was a few inches taller than I was. Her hair was up in a ponytail, out of her face. Her eyes were a bright glowing orange as she stood next to Jongin. Her accent when she spoke was different. I’d guess she wasn’t born here, but brought here like many others. She wore an oversize grey tee that had a few rips, jeans with holes and a pair of black boots. “Just get them out of there!”

Jongin nods, before motioning to me, “This is Y/N, she can help your cut or you can wait for Yixing!”

“Just get them,” She says, the glowing dying in her eyes as they return to a light blue.

He was gone in a flash, Baekhyun runs out of his office, looking at her and giving her a hug. “I’m so glad you’re alright,” He says, looking at her.

“I’m so pissed,” She says, growling. “How did they find me! They never have before!”

Baekhyun lets go of her, looking at me, “Are they alright?”

I nod, “They’re all fine and safe. A few have some minor scratches, but other than that they’re just scared.”

Neon’s eyes finally look over at me, looking me up and down before hardening her stare. “I didn’t know you fellas got someone new,” Her voice a bit tense.

“She’s Nayeon’s daughter, Y/N,” Baekhyun explains. “She’s a doctor, since… well.”

“Since Xing can’t heal himself,” She finishes for him, looking at her cut. “No offense, but I’d rather just have this healed. Stitches itch too damn bad.”

I nod, “None taken.” I look at the knife in my hands, “Um, a small girl had this. Is it yours?”

Neon smiles, “It is. Can you hold it for a bit, at least until I get this healed?” She hold us her arm, as a drop of blood falls to the floor.

I nod, about to open my mouth to say something only to see people return before us in a flash. A few cuts and scrapes, but that wasn’t worrying. What was worrying is that holding onto Yixing’s arm with a gun pointed to his head was an armed man. Another armed man was holding onto Jongdae, a gun in his hands, though pointing at many of them. Minseok lets go of Yixing’s other arm, glaring at the man. Their backs turned to us. Chanyeol’s hands light in flames as he glares at him. Jongin moves back, clutching his head as he puts one hand on the wall, trying to regain balance.

“Stop or I will shoot him,” The first man yells. I watch as they all hold their hands up slowly, watching carefully as the second moves his gun from one person to the other after Jongdae shoved him away.

“It’s ok,” Yixing says, looking at the other members before him nodding.

“Shut up,” The man says, kicking the back of Yixing’s legs, making him fall to his knees. Yixing yelled as he landed, keeping his arms raised, not daring to move them.

My heart felt as if it was in my throat. It was beating so loud, it was almost deafening. It was like time was moving slowly as I watch the man hold it close to the back of his head. The fear on everyone’s face was a terrifying sight, because I was so use to them being powerful and completely in control.

“You don’t have to do this,” Junmyeon starts, trying to reason with the man. Sehun was glaring daggers at the man, his hands shaking. Everyone was on their toes, getting ready to fight.

“Shut up,” The second man yells. He turns his gun to Junmyeon as his ally pushes the barrel of the gun completely against Yixing’s head, making me feel like I was being ripped apart.

“I won’t be able to take you all,” He yells, looking ahead of him at Yixing. “You’re all disgusting, you freaks deserve death and if I can die taking one of you out, then I’ve done my job!” The man looks down at Yixing, “Do you have any last words?”

“Minseok,” I hear a shaking voice say. It was tiny, small, and full of fear. It was the voice I’ve some to adore as he was on his knees, looking up at the eldest man. His body language completely still, reserved. “Tell Y/N I’m sorry,” He says, his voice cracking a bit.

Minseok eyes doesn’t leave his, “Yixing, don’t-”

The second man turns his gun onto him after he took a step forward, “Don’t move!”

I see Yixing’s shoulders shake, “Just let me, ok? There’s… there’s no way out of this. If you all attack, he’ll kill me and the other will kill one of you. You don’t, he’ll kill me, but then you’ll have a chance to save everyone else.. Just… let me speak.” None of those who teleported notice me, Baekhyun or Neon as we stood behind them. I see Baekhyun and Neon both frozen in fear. They didn’t know what to do or what to say.

“Tell her it’s not her fault, because she will find away to blame herself,” I hear the struggle in his voice trying to control his emotions. “And tell her than these past few months with her have been the best in my life and that I wouldn’t trade them, ever. Make sure she knows that I love her more than anything in the world.” My heart hurts hearing him say it, because he was saying it like he was never going to see me again.

“Cute,” The man replies bitterly, as he looks ready to pull the trigger.

I run forward before I knew what I was doing, running into him as the gun goes off. We fall to the ground, before he’s on top of me. I hear a torrent of flames as the other man who was there was engulfed in fire. His scream was terrible and painful, but it sounded distant as if it was just a whisper. I see everyone else in shock as his hands circle my throat, cutting off my air. I try to breathe, glancing around. I see Yixing hold his thigh where the bullet grazed him, blood coming from it before he looks at me. Shocked at the sight, tears running down his face. I see Neon’s knife to my right where I dropped it when I hit him. I reach, seeing people coming to run forward before my hand grabs the hilt.

My body was on autopilot as I slammed the knife into the side of his body. The bullet proof vest covered the front and back, but the sides were exposed. His grip on my throat loosened as I draw the knife out and stab him again, blood coming from him and getting all over my hand and side. I panic and twist the knife, watching as he’s suddenly pulled back, Kyungsoo throwing him across the room.

I blink back tears, taking in huge gasps of air, trying to calm down. The smell of the burning body hitting me full force. My breaths were faster and faster as I sat up, looking at the blood on me. I wipe at it with my other hand, dropping the knife. It felt hot and sticky, making me feel ill. I felt dizzy, the world around me felt like it was moving slowly. My head pounded as I wipe at the blood, seeing it all over me. I felt like I was going to throw up.

I feel someone grab my face and soon all I could see is Sehun as he held me, looking in my eyes, “Y/N, just breathe… it’s ok.”

“Yixing,” I say, my voice strained as it hurt to speak. It sounded as if I haven’t spoken in days. “He’s hurt! I have to go,” I say, my hands shaking as I try to get up.

“Baekhyun will do it,” Sehun says, “You can’t. You can’t do it when you’re like this. You taught him how, just breathe.”

I feel my throat hurt as I start to cough, tears coming to my eyes from the pain. “It hurts,” I said between coughs, my breathing still erratic.

“Panic attack,” I hear Neon say, her voice even softer than before. “She needs to get calm somehow.”

“Minseok,” I hear someone say, the world around me becoming a blur as my eyes felt heavy. I look at Sehun, trying to keep my eyes open. He was trying to be calm as everything in my vision was going fuzzy. “Y/N, stay with me,” Sehun says, trying to remain calm. Before I could understand, my eyes were closing, and all I could see was darkness.


When I open my eyes, I see my room was dark. The string lights were on, but there were swirls of color in the air on the ceiling. I laid there, watching them, letting my mind stay blank. My eyes still heavy, my body almost too tired to move. I close them, but I hear movement. I open my eyes again, seeing the swirls change color slowly, from yellow to green to blue and so on as it shifted to every color of the rainbow. The swirls reminded me of a painting that I can’t remember the name of, though I always thought it was beautiful.

I vaguely hear people talking, making me sit up, trying to regain control. My vision returning sharper and my hearing becoming clearer as I look over to see Neon and Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looks at me, “Y/N?”

“Everything feels off,” I mutter, feeling my throat on fire. I reach my hand up to it. I hear Neon start to tell me not to, but it was too late as my fingers make contact. It hurt so bad as I yank my hand away.

Baekhyun grabs the glass of water on my bedside table, handing it to me, “It’s going to hurt really bad, but you need water.”

“But Yixing, is he alright? Is everyone alright? How are the others? Did you get everyone here safely? Baekhyun, you have to take me to Yixing, I have to-”

“You have to drink this first,” He says, his voice as hard as steel. I lean away, shocked. I’ve never heard Baekhyun talk to me like that before. I was use to the joking and funny Baekhyun. The serious one terrifies me a bit.

Neon walks over to the light switch and turns it on. She looked worried, but now I could see Baekhyun was paler than usual, dark circles under his eyes. “You’ve been unconscious for two days, Y/N. Drink this water, please,” He begs, “Then we’ll take you to Yixing.”

Neon smiles sadly, “He’s not allowed to walk, so he’s been cooped up going crazy wanting to make sure you’re ok.”

Baekhyun smiles a bit as I take the glass from him. “He’s only staying because I told him if you knew he was walking around after that you’d be furious.”

“I would be,” I say, my voice raspy and quiet. I take a sip, my eyes watering in pain. “Ow,” I whisper, before taking a few more.

“Take it easy,” Baekhyun says, “You don’t have to drink it all in one go!”

I don’t stop, giving him a look through the pain as I empty the glass. I set it on the table, standing, bracing myself on him for a moment. “Let’s go,” I mutter, my legs feeling like jelly. I take a few steps, slowly, before Baekhyun puts his arm around me to keep me steady.

I stop a moment, eyeing my mirror. My clothes were changed as I stood there in pajamas instead of what I was wearing before. My throat was covered in deep, dark purple bruises. There was a red spot in my eyes where a vessel popped. My hair was a complete mess and I looked paler than normal. There was a bruise around my left wrist, though I don’t remember getting that at all. Everything in that moment happened so quickly, yet also slowly.

“To answer your other questions,” Neon calmly says, pulling me away from my thoughts. “Everyone got here safe. Everyone who I brought with me are gone and on their way some place safe. I’m staying here until I can find a new place to operate from.” She looks to the ground, angry. “I don’t know how they found me… I’ve been there years and no one has seen anything until now.”

The silence was uncomfortable as we walk to the medical room. It took a while as Baekhyun made me stop and take short rests. My throat was killing me, making my eyes water. Once we’re at the door, I go to open it, only to have Neon grab my hand.

“Yes,” I ask softly, trying not to aggravate my voice any further.

She smiles sadly, “Just… Xing is going to freak out when he sees you like this. So… be prepared for that.”

I open the door, and immediately, I see Minseok turn. His eyes are wide as he sees me, looking extremely upset. Next to him was Junmyeon, who was standing a bit to the side, dark circles under his eyes. Something tells me he hasn’t slept as he was trying to sort this all out.

I see the person on the bed lean up. Yixing’s eyes meet mine. He was pale, completely shirtless as he was sitting there, the blanket pulled over him. He had a black eye, and a small bruise on his chin, a few cuts and bruises on his  arms and chest but other than that, he looked fine. His eyes look lower, to my neck. His eyes wide in pain as he sees what happened to me. “Baobei,” He says in what I was guessing was Chinese, though I don’t know what it means. I walk forward, pushing everyone away as I get to him and hug him, reminding myself to keep away from his leg.

“You’re alright,” I mutter, tears falling down my face.  I hold him tightly, as if at any moment he’d turn into smoke and disappear. “I… I couldn’t let that happen. I had to do something.”

“Suho, Baekhyun, Neon,” Minseok says, his voice soft, “How about we go… work on a few things for a bit.”

I don’t hear what they speak about after. All I remember is the door softly shutting behind me. Yixing slides over in the bed, letting out a grunt of pain, pulling me up to sit on it with a hiss.

“Stop,” I say, wiping my tears, “You’ll hurt yourself.”

Yixing says nothing as he pulls my face to his, lips pressing against mine hard, like he’s scared to let me go too. I feel the cold sensation go through my body, though noticeably weaker than other times. “How can I care about that when you look like this,” He says, his expression and voice pained. “How can I give a damn about my being hurt when… Y/N, you…”

“I killed someone,” I finish, looking down at my hands. “It’s like I can still feel the blood on my hands. Hot and gross. But Yixing, I… I don’t regret it.”

“Y/N,” He says, looking at me. “You didn’t have to.”

“Yes I did,” I say loudly, my throat still hurting a bit, but it was much better than before. I pull away, looking him in the eyes. “He had a gun to you. He was going to kill you… and you know that he was.”

Yixing looks down, his hands barely touching mine. “There’s no point in lying,” his voice was sad. “I thought I was going to die…”

“Then you know that I had to kill him,” my voice breaking, cracking as I try to keep my feelings down. Tears fell from my eyes. “I hate killing. I thought I hated it more than anything.”

“Which is why you shouldn’t have had to,” He says, his hands taking mine, his eyes avoiding me.

“I love you more than I hate it,” I exclaim. I let go of his hands and make him look me in the eyes. “I already lost the person who mattered the most to me once. I can’t lose another, so don’t you dare try to convince me that I made the wrong choice!”

“I’m not telling you you made the wrong choice,” He says, looking up at me without my having to force him. “I just… I don’t want you to resent me after it.”

“Why would I resent you,” I question, shaking my head.

“For getting myself in the situation, for forcing you have to make that choice,” He says, his voice is hard and quiet, as if he was yelling at himself.

“Yixing,” I mutter, putting a hand on his shoulder, “No one can make my decisions for me but me. If our roles were switched, would you have done what I did?”

“In a heartbeat,” He answers, looking up at me. “I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to you and I could have done something.”

“That feeling,” I say, before leaning my head down on his shoulder. “That feeling is mutual.”

I feel him wrap his arms around me, pulling me to him. His head resting against mine as he lightly kisses the side of it. “You were very brave,” he said, one of his hands touching my arm as I feel the cool sensation again.

“You’re too hurt to heal me,” I mutter, “You’ll be fine soon, and so will I. Save your energy and let your body heal yourself.”

“Are you saying that as my doctor or as my girlfriend,” He jokes, laughing lightly.

“Both. Save your energy.”

“I just can’t bare to see you like this, is all,” He mutters with a sign.

“Then keep your eyes closed, because the more you try to help me the longer it will take for you to heal,” I say, pulling away from him. “How did Baekhyun do, anyway?”

“Fine, after I convinced him to stop shaking. He was nervous. Nothing major was hit,” He answers my unasked question, knowing I was going to ask it at some point. “Between the thigh and my knees aching from landing on the floor like that, I’m apparently not allowed to walk until tomorrow at least.”

“That’s good, are the stitches straight are are they all jagged and too far apart? Can I see how he did?”

I see him smirk a bit to himself, a light blush on his face. “I’d show you, but I’d like the first time you see me completely to be not related to any sort of injury if I can help it, thanks.”

“You’re… oh…. OH,” I say, my voice becoming a pitch higher as I bury my face in his shoulder. My face turning a deep red as I hear him laugh at my embarrassment.

“You’re so cute when you’re embarrassed,” He says, wrapping his arms around me again. “Stop, your cheeks are going to set my shoulder on fire!”

“And you’re cuter when you’re not making fun of me,” I mutter, making him laugh again.

“Where’s the fun in that,” He says, giving me a small kiss on the forehead.

The door slams open, revealing Sehun and Minseok. Sehun looked at me, his eyes wide. He rushes over, pulling me away from Yixing before wrapping his arms around me, picking me up off the ground.

“I’m sorry,” Minseok says, looking up at me sadly. “I tried to stop him, but the brat wouldn’t listen.”

Sehun sets me back down as I leave a hand on his shoulder, “Sehun-”

“No,” He says, looking at me, his eyes wet with tears. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I ever thought you wouldn’t risk your life for one of us. I’m sorry we didn’t think of something to stop what happened. I’m sorry you had to do that and I’m sorry that you had to do something you hate.” He tries to regain control over his emotions, but he can’t seem to stop crying. “It almost happened again and I’m so glad you were here and were braver than the rest of us and actually did something while we all just stood there about to watch our brother die.”

“Sehun,” I muttered, rubbing his arm, crying to calm him down. “It’s fine.”

“No it’s not,” He yells, making me jump. His eyes widen as he looks back at me, “I just… I’m sorry.” He turns to walk away, escaping the grip I had on his arm.

“Sehun,” I yell as he bolts out the room. Minseok attempts to stop him, his glass of water spilling on one of his feet. I look back at Yixing, who simply nodded as I turn to go after him, trying to keep up. My legs kept shaking as he started getting further and further.

I feel the air grow colder as I see Sehun suddenly stop, his right foot completely frozen to the ground.

To my right I see Minseok holding up a hand, his eyes completely white. He lowers his hand, his eyes returning to normal as he nods at me.

“Thank you,” I say, moving to catch up with Sehun. I get there as he takes a knife, trying to pry his shoe out of the ice. “Sehun, just talk to me. What’s wrong.”

“I thought next time it happened I wouldn’t be a coward,” He says, wiping tears from his eyes as throws the knife down, starting to unlace the shoe. “But I’m faced with the same situation and I do the same ing thing!”

He yanks his foot free from the ice as I grab onto his arm. He yanks it away, sending me into the wall with the force. I yelp, my legs becoming even worse than before after colliding with the wall.

We stand there for a few moments. He was silent as tears feel from his eyes, his shoulders shaking. I stayed on the floor where I fell, waiting to see what he would do next. He tentatively takes a step to me, offering me his hand.

“Thank you,” I say as he puts an arm around me, helping me walk along with him. He opens a door to a room I’ve never been to, turning on the light and helping me onto a chair. The room was rather plain. A bed, a chair, a side table, a lamb and a plain black rug. However there were Polaroids covering every inch of one wall. Some had my mother, some had the whole group, but many of them are of him and just one or two other people. There was a picture of him with everyone. There were pictures of him and the people I didn’t get to meet, too. A thick layer of dust coating everything in this room.

“This is… was my room. I haven’t been in here in ages.” He paces a bit, not looking me in the eye. “Y/N,” He says, his voice cracking. “I… I’ve never told anyone this. But I have to tell someone or I’m going to explode.”

“It’s ok,” I mutter, wanting to comfort him. “I’ll listen. It’ll be ok.”

“No it won’t,” He says, looking back at me. His eyes full of pure sorrow and heartbreak. “Because I’m the reason that Kris, Tao and Luhan are dead.”