Drabble: Reminiscing

Inhumans

Yixing looking back while a huge moment in his child's life comes up


Sometimes, Yixing looks back on his life and wonders how it’s turned out the way it has. Today is one of those days, as he walks from the elevator to the room his daughter resides. All day, he’s been in a reminiscing mood. She called him, on the verge of tears, asking for him to go to her room at this fancy hotel. When Y/N asked him what was wrong, he just explained it was probably Nayeon was probably nervous for tomorrow. Y/N knew that Nayeon probably wanted to see her father alone, or else she would have asked about her. Y/N just smiles with a shake of her head, knowing that their daughter gets worried about things like this often. Though she didn’t need to be. Answering his daughter, his mind went back and wondered how it all turned around. From being a human test subject to being part of a resistance against corruption. From helping to shatter the hold of an oppressive government to going off and finding himself. Looking at him, you wouldn’t think he was capable of that. He has people he sees at the hospital all the time constantly telling him that they can’t believe that was him and his friends, now that the news was out there.

He understands, though. After all that’s happened, after a new government was placed over South Korea, a democratic one, he and his friends were cleared of all their wrong doings. After that, they left violence and all it entails behind. They never wanted to have to be violent, but they did in order to survive. A few years of it all kept under wraps, then, finally, the new South Korean government, in an effort to show it’s honor and integrity, admitted how it all came to be. Their faces plastered on every news channel in every country of the world. Suddenly, people knew their names and what their darkest secrets were. After, Yixing and Y/N couldn’t get out of the house without people wanting to film them. Cameras, news reporters, and people wanting something to twist into vile rumors tried to pick their way into their lives. It was the same for everyone else, too. Even with all this happening, they still went to work and helped people, even if it was very uncomfortable. Zian would often play little illusionary pranks on the people that were stood outside their house for the two and a half weeks. After all, if they’re going to be there and disrupt them, it’s what they deserved, according to the young man. For once, his parents didn’t scold him about playing pranks on random people. They were angry that this was disrupting the lives of their two teen children, who had to stay home a week from school. Yixing found himself reminiscing that long week too.

Most of that time in South Korea wasn’t fond for him. Though the darkest periods in his life, he found her. Y/N, the kind doctor who is a human lie detector. Their relationship started quick, burning brighter as every day passed. There was a time, after liberating South Korea, that it was almost doused. It went from a roaring fire to a flickering, almost dying, flame.

Leaving Y/N in that moment is and always will be Yixing’s biggest regret. He wasn’t strong enough for her in that moment. While he needed space, he should have at least spoke to her about it. Y/N would have let him go, he knows. Even if she’s forgiven him, every now and then he reminds himself of that time. To never do that again, to make sure he is by her side no matter what. Rebuilding their relationship took some time. Trying to feed the fire and bring it back to life. Ultimately, it proved their love was true.

Yixing remembered seeing her for their wedding. She was dressed in pajama pants and a tee, which contrasted hilariously with his suit. She looked just as beautiful as she would have if she dressed up. In his wallet is a picture from that day, the two of them looking lovingly into each other’s eyes. He keeps it close, cherishes her and all they’ve done together. Anytime he has to pay for something, he sees that picture and the others in his wallet. It helps remind him that his family is what matters most. Everyone. His nine brothers, wife and two perfect children.

They got a little house, both work for a hospital and they worked hard to help as many people as possible. Some people wouldn’t let Yixing help them. The anti-inhuman movement was gaining traction. A lot of them came over from South Korea after it was liberated, hoping to start it back in China. Though they are loud, they are a very vocal minority. Granted that vocal minority is about a sixth of the nation’s population. Y/N and Yixing are very against the movement. They spoke out against it, and have for years. Even before it was revealed that they played a part in the destruction of an oppressive anti-inhuman regime. The people in their city knew that they came from South Korea after the fall. They spoke openly about things they faced, especially Yixing. He found it hard, at first, to talk about it. Though that didn’t last after hearing what some of them wanted to do. Make them wear something to signify inhumans from ‘pure humans’, not allowing inhumans and ‘pure humans’ to marry one another and have children, and strip away inhuman rights away. Some even wanted all inhumans to be sterilized. So he and Y/N fought, debated, and convinced quite a few people of the true evil nature anti-inhuman views could be. Then, soon, they had another two reasons to fight for a better future.

Zian and Nayeon, two little inhuman babies. Little boy and girl. Yixing’s heart has never felt so full of love as when he held them for the first time. His two little otters, he called them, because they were always wanting to swim, love being in the bath, and just overall were making loud squeal-like noises. Y/N thinks that Yixing saw the future when calling them that, since they loved to play pranks and a group of otters is called a prank. Now, though, both of them in their early twenties, he still sees them as a child from time to time, though they have lives of their own.

He presses the elevator button, smiling and waving to the people he passes by. Nayeon’s room was twenty floors highter than his. He looked out of a window in the hall and saw a nice view of the beach, the waves lazily flowing up and down. Y/N and him wanted to go and walk along the beach, but Nayeon is what is important right now.

In his wallet was also two more pictures. One of Y/N and him playing with them when they were five, and another of them graduating high school along with Ming. Though they are twins, they looked so different, even to this day. Nayeon looked like a rockstar growing up. Black jeans, black band shirt, facial piercings and tattoos up her arms while she was in high school. She still dresses in all black save for the occasional color, but now it looks more chic. After high school, because of her power, she was offered a job to look back at history and help the world understand what exactly happened and what was just ‘winners writing history the way they wanted’. She travels around the world, looking into the past and uncovering secrets. She’s gotten better at her power, though she refuses to look into the future anymore. Ming is with her, though she stays in China and studies to become a doctor. Something about Y/N and Yixing’s kindness inspiring her, seeing them help so many people. She’s even going to do her residency following Y/N, which she knows will be very tough and strict on her.

Zian looked normal. Mostly. His eyes were like his mother’s, with heterochromia. A bit of blue in both of his iris. Student athlete who got recognised now because of who his parents are, but because of his skill. After high school, he started to play his first season in the Chinese football league while doing college on the side. He’s gotten interest from a few large teams around the world. Uncle Jongin wants him to go to Chelsea if they offer, and Uncle Luhan wants him for Manchester United, but tells Zian if he joins Liverpool he’s dead to him… well, career wise. Uncle Sehun suggest casually that there’s that one well known team in Paris, that he could come to so they can see him all the time. Zian just laughed, saying he’d keep it all in mind. His hair, still matching colors with his sister, was straighter, the natural curls going away as he aged. He was as tall as Yixing, and strong. Though, now, his arm is also starting to fill with tattoos. On his wrist in roman numerals he has the date Y/N and Yixing met, along with a tattoo of two realistic otters holding hands. He told Nayeon that no matter where he goes, his sister is always with him. “And besides,” He had said earlier, a few years back. “The world couldn’t handle if we’re together all the time. It would combust.”

So, after a few years, their little otters left the prank to make it on their own. Yixing thought it was weird, their usual loud house mostly quiet, save for Ming when she stays the weekend to sleep in a bed that ‘doesn’t feel like cardboard’, according to her. His children, off and making their mark in the world. He was going to be fifty soon, but he found that, with a quiet house, it all felt a bit lonely at times when Y/N wasn’t around.

After a few months when the season is over, Xian came back for a few weeks before making a decision. Four teams wanted to add them to their midfield. Yixing and Y/N just told him to follow his heart. Ming told him to just go where he felt like he could make a home. Nayeon said don’t go too far from her. She was settled in Paris, though made trips to central America, South America and Egypt a lot.

Xian ended up making Luhan a very happy uncle. Zhang Xian, an MUFC midfielder. A few months in, and he was making so much money that he finished paying off his uncles houses and cars. The few that would let him, at least, slowly but surely. He tried to, for his parents, but their house was already paid off and their car too. Then he decided to just start throwing most of it anonymously into charities. He was very fond of one about saving elephants after hearing about Mrs. Ellie from his father.

Nayeon spends months away before coming back for a few weeks. Most of her time spent with Ming, going on dates and falling more and more for each other. The band tees left her wardrobe (Well, a few linger in the back) and were replaced with all black ones. She looked chic, according to Sehun, which is a very high complement from the man who was making his own clothing line.

So, for years, that how they were. Xian making a huge name for himself, Nayeon discovering things that were lost to time, and Yixing and Y/N, retired but still doing volunteer work in the clinic, would visit them and all their family.

Yixing smiled in the elevator, feeling his heart almost burst with love. Today, though, was Yixing’s and Y/N’s 30th wedding anniversary. He couldn’t believe how beautiful she still is after all this time. They went back to the place they got engaged, reminiscing and spending their time with one another. For 55, they looked good. Yixing looked like he was 30, and Y/N thinks it’s because of his power, making him look youthful. And they had to look good, because Nayeon and Ming were getting married tomorrow. Nayeon always wanted to be married the day after her parents, saying it was a lucky day since they’ve been together for so long. Zian said he was fully planning on getting married the day before his parents anniversary, too. Currently, he’s also engaged to a lovely female soccer player from Australia. Her name is Layla, and she plays for the women’s team of his rivals. That didn’t bother him. For the other bride, Ming’s mother came, but her father refused. Not that Ming cared that he was missing it, since she didn’t want him in her life anyways. Her mother, though, after years of ignorance, came around after Yixing saved her life when she was in a car accident.

That was a messy time. Ming’s father was disgusted with his wife that she would let him do that. Claiming that if it was suppose to have been her time then she should have died. Not even hours later, he found himself with a stack of papers calling for a divorce.

Upon entering the room, Yixing watched as Nayeon nervously tried on her suit again. Black with a white shirt, her hair just black for once. He went over, wrapping his arms around her, smiling. “It’s ok, little otter,” He said with a smile, “Don’t worry so much.”

Nayeon turned to him, tears in her eyes, “But Dad, what if it all goes wrong? What if it starts raining? What if Ming changes her mind?”

“Your mother is making sure nothing goes wrong. Between her and your uncle Baekhyun, no one would dare let anything stop this from happening. Uncle Junmyeon is here, so if it rains he’ll just keep the rain off of us.” Yixing smiles at his daughter, wiping the tears from her eyes, “And Ming won’t change her mind because she’s been so excited to marry you she’s been practicing writing her name as Zhang Ming for months now.”

Ming reaches forward, holding her father close to her, “What if I’m not good enough for her? What if we get married and she decided that tomorrow was a mistake?”

Yixing wipes her tears, “Listen to me. She won’t think that. And as for the first question, I understand that feeling. I constantly feel like I am not good enough for your mother. Even after all these years, but the fact that she chose me is more than enough for me to not worry. Ming said yes. She chose you. Out of everyone in the world, it’s you who has her heart. Trust her.”

A knock at the door as Zian pokes his head in. His hair black and shorter, after Ming said he looked like a homeless person yesterday. That was never going to change between them, especially now. As they live across the world from each other, keeping their hair the same color makes them feel closer than they are. They even go out and send each other the same brand to dye their hair. He looked worried, “Um… I just felt like… you needed me.”

Yixing smiles, nodding. Sometimes this would happen. They would just know something was wrong with the other. It’s happened from the time they were children until now. Zian, the eldest by two minutes, walks in. He moves to his sister, holding her in a tight hug, “Hey, stop crying, idiot. Tomorrow is supposed to be a great day!”

Yixing smiles at the twins, slipping out of the room quietly. Only there for about a minute, but that’s all Nayeon needed. She just wanted to hear it from him. Yixing takes one long look at his two children, embracing before he quickly wipes a proud tear away. He turns, walking down the hall and out the door, seeing the beach. He smiles, before moving to the exit, quickly catching up to a figure that is sitting in the sand.

Y/N smiles to herself, “Hello Darling,” She says, not even looking. Yixing sits next to her, putting an arm around her. “Happy anniversary.”

“Happy anniversary, my love,” Yixing says with a smile, pressing a kiss to her temple. “Nayeon is nervous.”

“Nayeon is always nervous about important things,” Y/N just replies, watching the sun go down. “I take it Zian is with her?” Nayeon had a special relationship with Yixing while Zian always sought out Y/N when it comes to advice or crying on someone’s shoulder. They didn’t take it personal at all. Nayeon, a fairly brutal and blunt person, needed Yixing’s kind words while Xian, the sweetheart, needed the totally honest words from Y/N.

“He always has been,” Yixing says, pulling her close and giving her a kiss on the temple. “Thirty years… the best thirty years of my life. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Y/N just says with a small smirk. “I think we should go back with Minseok and Kyungsoo after the wedding. We should go back to where we first met.”

Truthfully, they haven’t been back to the school in years. They’ve rarely been back to South Korea at all, only to Kyungsoo’s and Minseok’s respective houses. While they are both married with a few kids, who, coincidentally, Minseok’s son is married to Kyungsoo’s daughter. Even after all this time they’re both still in Korea, everyone else has been scattered. They still trained soldiers, but soon were both going to retire and finally settle down. Jihae and Kyungsoo were very happy earlier, watching their grandchild play with Grandpa Minseok and Grandma Hyejin. Little baby Jiwoo was around four now.

Baekhyun spends half of his time in Washington D.C., the other half in California with Chanyeol. The two of them finding out more about themselves and decided to date years earlier. Fifteen years ago they got married in a courthouse and didn’t tell anyone for a few months. Both of them still working their asses off, decided not to adopt and just be content with the family they have. Baekhyun joked that Chanyeol was like having a child already.

Chen was traveling the world after signing a record label. He was in an out of relationships at first. The he found the one in a woman from Spain named Andrea Maria. She was a Spanish opera singer, and they hit it off. A few years of dating, and a few months of marriage, she sadly passed away. Drunk driver, killed on impact. He was a mess for a few months, going from place to place. After, he never looked for love again. She was the one for him, and he’s fine with it. Now, though sometimes still sad, he was grateful for the time they had. He still wears his wedding ring.

Jongin was in America, still in New York city. After it was all said and done, he took up dance. Within a few months, he decided to go and audition for a ballet. He got the part. The time needed for Broadway was exhausting, but he loved it. It was a small part. Then the next one he got a bigger one. And the next one, and even bigger one. Finally, he managed to get the main character. A few years, a couple of Tony awards later, he asked Neon to marry him. They’ve been together since leaving South Korea. She was an artist, paid big money for her neon lights for shows, parties and art galleries. She’s also a big hit at EDM festivals. Sometimes she does a bit of art on the street. She said yes. The two had a little girl named Hana and Jongin is completely wrapped around her finger, even now. She was just about to start college, enjoying the wedding before she had to start school soon.

Sehun and Luhan are still living in Paris. Both married and gone from modeling to making their own designer brand. Now everyone wanted to wear their creations and called them fashion geniuses. Which, they both agreed with. After a few years into their marriage, they adopted a little girl. Her name is Celia, and her parents passed away when she was barely one. She looked nothing like them, and she was fine with that. Anyone who would give her about being adopted got a middle finger and a whole lot of curses. Celia worked for both of her parents, helping design clothes. She just got engaged, and his very happily planning.

She, funny enough, is marrying Junmyeon’s son. He ran a hospital in Paris, where he met his wife, Eloise. She had a small flower shop, and Junmyeon would go in there and buy flowers just to see her. He ended up asking her out with a pun, and when she said yes, he knew there was real potential for something more. They had a son named Junwoo who had his mother’s blue eyes and looked exactly like Junmyeon. Well almost. He and Celia grew up together, the classic friends to lovers. He asked her to marry him just a few weeks ago by changing the lyrics of the mega popular korean girl group Twice’s song ‘Likey’ to ‘Will you be my Wwifey, My wifey, wifey, wifey?” Sehun pretended to gag when he hear that.

All this time away, everyone making their own lives, it would be nice to go back, Yixing thought. “Where you saved my life for the first time, you mean,” Yixing says with a smile.

“No,” Y/N says, smiling, lacing her fingers with his, “Where you saved mine.”

Yixing stared at Y/N, holding her hand tightly. Even now he was afraid of losing her somehow. After all this time, after everything… all of his friend and family of EXO, his two wonderful and beautiful kids, his stunning and smart wife, he still wonders how he managed to get so lucky in life. So, he holds tightly on to his relationships and family, letting his heart pour out all his love and support in order to make sure they all know he is forever grateful.