Chapter 17: Writer's block

The (Not so) Perfect Story

 

"What should I write next...? What can I write next...? What do I do!?"

Ah...

The evil evil writer's block.

Every writer gets writer's block. Even that... that... that person who wrote Twilight.

 

What is writer's block?

 

 

Writer's block:

Web definitions:
an inability to write

 

They're are a few different reasons why an author would have writer's block.

1. Nothing to write about. No good ideas. Stuck on detail.

2. You're anxious to write; nervous.

3. So stressed you can't write.

4. You don't like your story anymore and it bores you.

 

 

How to cure writer's block:

1. "Nothing to write about. No good ideas. Stuck on detail."

  • Life experience

    Yes. Life experience.
    "What's life experience?" I hope you don't ask me that. If you do, you, my dear friend, live under a big, fat rock.
    Some of you guys may have some personal life experiences that could help you write your story. Love story? No problem, call up your boyfriend or girlfriend and make some happy memories!
    Let's say you killed someone.
    [ON ACCIDENT I HOPE] Alright! You could put that in your angst story...
     
  • Have a brain dump

    Dump out all the thoughts you have for your story. Just jot down notes on different paths your story could go into. Get your creative juices flowing! Throw out all your idea's, even the stupid ones! There's one that's bound to be a good idea.

     
  • Ask people

    Asking people is not that bad, and you never know, one of them could have a good idea.

 

2. "You're anxious to write; nervous."

  • Reassure yourself

    Review your story plot and reassure yourself on what you're going to write next. Focus. 

     
  • Rituals

    You know what I mean right...? Chew gum, eat food, listen to music. Do something to keep you going. I usually eat food and listen to music when I write. It keeps me focused mainly on the story for some weird reason. [Like now- I'm eating jello and listening to Infinite's Nothing's Over.]

 

3. So stressed you can't write.

  • Stretch

    Stretching helps a lot. It can relieve all the tensed up muscles, the brain included. When I'm stuck, I usually jump away from the computer and walk around the house.

     
  • Calm yourself

    Breathe deeply and hold your breath until you can't anymore. It's like applying pain on pain. If you apply enough pain, the first pain will go away! Get it...? No...? Oh...

 

4. You don't like your story anymore and it bores you.

  • Dig up old ideas

    Come on! There must be a reason why you wanted to write your story in the first place right? Dig into your mind and bring those old ideas out!


    I can tell authors don't like to continue their story because they already planned it in their mind. They get all excited with writing about what they're think and when they finally put it down on paper, the idea doesn't amuse them anymore.
    When that happens...

    I can't help you. I really can't! It's not like I can drill a hole into your head and fill your brain with some excitement... or can I?