Chapter 13: Point of View

The (Not so) Perfect Story

 

Point of View

 
Noun:
  1. A particular attitude or way of considering a matter: "change his point of view".
  2. (in fictional writing) The narrator's position in relation to the story being told.

*Sigh*

I don't know how to say this nicely, but people who constantly shift point of views will not become a good author in the future.
[If they're aiming to be a real author.]

You don't see real authors going:

Chapter 1: Podomo's P.O.V. 

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Chapter 2: Momo's P.O.V.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Chapter 3: Winnie the Pooh's P.O.V.

Blah Blah.


Just... no.

 

What not to do:

Don't constantly shift P.O.V.'s! Don't, don't, don't. It can seem kinda annoying for me, trying to see it from a different person's view. Why don't you just pick one to write with?

 

1st person:

Web definitions:
The speaker is a character in the story or poem and tells it from his/her perspective (uses "I").

 

2nd person:

Web definitions:
(Use of you) Not usually seen in narration – sometimes a technique used in essays

 

3rd person:

My definitions:

(Use of he, she, they, them) There are three types of well known 3rd person P.O.V.'s

Omniscient: The "All Knowing" point of view. It knows everyone's thoughts and feelings. It knows where they are and what they're doing.

Limited: Narrator only knows the feelings and emotions of main character.

Objective: Like a camera. True feelings are determinded only when talking. 

 

There! Now explaining the point of views with sentences.

 

1st Person:

I prepared myself and stood infront of the mirror. I waited for the right timing, and without a second thought, I started to move my body to the beat. An automatic reaction of mine from practicing so much.

 

2nd Person:
[This is completely different from Chapter 9] [It's like the author is talking to the reader.]

Okay so, to stop your baby from crying, give it a pacifier. You wouldn't want to have your baby keep crying when you sleep would you?

 

3rd Person:

Omniscient:
He quietly watched her as she ate her ice cream. 'She's pretty cute...' He thought.
She stopped eating when she saw him watching her. 'Does he think I'm weird or something...?'

Limited:
They walked side by side in confortable silence. She looked at the sky. 'I wish this day would last forever...'
He stopped and turned to face her. She stopped as well.
"Listen..." He started.
'I wonder what's wrong.' She thought.

Objective:
She rushed around the house as he followed her. 
"Yah! What's wrong?" He asked in a worried tone.
She hastened her pace. A tear streamed down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away.
She calmed her breathing and spoke slowly. "I'm leaving you."

 

Remember:

This chapter was extremely boring for me and took a while to write. SO YOU BETTER NOT FORGET.
Don't forget that point of view is important and whatever way you use it shows how organized your story really is.