Episode 8: I wish

My unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy’s PoV

 

These few months had been the busiest time of the year. The librarian board had been holding a few meetings to settle the events throughout the next one and a half year time. Irene and Joy were busy with the prefectorial board and the exams were drawing close.

 

 

My deepest concern was the minimal contact between me and Irene lately.

 

 

If you’re asking me why. . . Well we had to pay attention during our classes so we hardly talked and during recess period it’s either me or Irene had our own specific duty, causing our schedules to clash. As for our off school periods, we had to complete piles of homework that the teacher had assigned for us because the subjects we were taking were quite challenging. No joke. Without practice, you’ll surely fail your test. I’m sure everyone shared the same sentiment.

 

 

If it’s not homework, it’ll be our club activities or the board duties we had to fulfill. It was painstakingly killing me because I couldn’t hug her as much as I could as before. It was just a simple exchange of greetings and a small smile played on my lips when we happened to run into one other.

What’s more, Leetuk sunbae reminded me that I’m the Vice President so I had an image to maintain; being strict and watching the overall actions of the librarians, specifically the girls. Although I’m putting up a facade, making sure that I’m not fawning over Irene or hugging her in public, it’s still a damn torture. I could imagine a sad emoji hanging at the back of my head with the sacrifice I made.

 

 

And because of everything that’s been going on for a while, we unpremeditatedly drifted apart; physically wise.

 

 

to be me.

 

 

I sighed. Here I am, all alone in this board room, specifically for those who wear coats. Being in the higher ups had its perks. The board room was located at the corner of the library with glass panes as the dividing line. There were blinds if we needed our privacy but apart from that, the door was also transparent too.

 

 

Everyone went back home after the meeting ended and I was the last person remained in the room. Another few librarians who were on duty were sitting at the counter outside, watching over the students who entered the library.

 

 

I scribbled the white sheet with a black pen, summarizing the whole events for the upcoming annual dinner for the librarian board in two months’ time. I leaned my back in my chair, extended my arms and stretched my legs before me. I mulled over the day’s events.

 

 

I was selected by the majority of the committees to honour the annual dinner as the emcee since they somehow knew I was articulated in English. I immediately suggested for a bilingual route whereby I’ll speak in English while another emcee talked in Korean. I wouldn’t want to have my frozen before a few hundreds of people before me by myself.

 

 

Somewhere behind me, a faint creak sounded from outside. I tilted my head to one side. I instantly smiled when I saw a familiar figure from afar, walking clumsily into the library, waving her hand at me from inside the room cheerily. I chuckled, reciprocating back the gesture.

 

 

“You’re finally here Chaeyoung! I was beginning to starve to death.” I whined, giving myself a belly rub.

 

 

So the chipmunk looking-like girl who graced her presence into the room is none other than my partner. The President hand-picked the treasurer, Rose which I didn’t mind since she was super nice and sweet. If I had to describe her in one word, she’s an angel.

 

 

I found it rather endearing of our ambiguous relationship. After all we’re never close back then. We never talked. Just waving hellos and biding our goodbyes. I did notice a lot of males are drooling over her and conclude that she must be a popular girl. But that was it.

 

 

I had a bad impression on her early on because I caught her making out with her boyfriend one time when I was taking the stairs.

 

 

So yeah. . . We didn’t started it off well at all.

 

 

Our relationship changed one day. It all began when we first started off our duty as the members of librarian board; I saw her walking in late on a rainy day with a tall and handsome hunk by her side from the board room.

 

 

I was still chilling in the room, doing my homework, not really paying attention to them.

 

 

It was when I lifted my head again and saw a few people flocking her outside of the room, seemingly cornering her at the entrance of the library from afar.

 

 

Curious on the matter at hand, I immediately intruded their conversation because the Vice President of the junior section was really displeased with Rose’s attitude. She was standing still with her stiff shoulders as she looked downwards in guilt. Not being punctual on the first day might have them the impression of slacking off.

 

 

She looked like she was in a pinch, biting her lips in frustration so I calmly talked to him after apprehending the situation from him, “Let me handle this matter.” The only reason I’ve heard from him was that she was late. It was a rather faint reply coming from him.

 

 

He frowned. “But-”

 

 

I glanced at him, smiling sweetly while patting his shoulders. “Although I’m aware I’m still a green horn, but I’m still given the task to be in charge of the ‘girls’ discipline. So please let me fulfilled my role, okay?”

 

 

He finally gave in, not before he gave me one final glance, strictly reminding me in a firm tone, “At least give her a punishment for her misconduct. Or otherwise we’ll be questioned for favoring her.”

 

 

I nodded. “I’ll see to the matter.” I uttered, waving my hands to the boys as I lead her to corner of shelves to avoid any unwanted attention. “Park Chaeyoung right?” I raised my brow.

 

 

“Yes.” She whimpered.

 

 

“May I know what happened?”

 

 

She looked at me, puzzled as to why I was asking her when I had known the answer. “I want to hear from your side, Chaeyoung-shii. I’m sure everyone has their own reasoning.”

 

 

She explained to me that she reasoned with the boys who were in charged at the counter that when she went out for a meal with her boyfriend early on accompanied by her best friend, they were stuck in a heavy traffic. However no one seemed to budge, thinking it was a poor excuse.

 

 

I sighed, noticing that her body gestures were still rigid. I kindly asked her to extend her hands as I swiftly had both of my hand slapping onto the back of her hand. She immediately snapped from her daze, glancing at me in confusion.

 

 

“I usually do this when I feel nervous.” I gave her a subtle smile, seeing that she had finally loosened up a bit as she saw no malice from me. “Let this be a warning for you. Next time, don’t be late, okay?”

 

 

Her eyes widen, scrunching her eyebrows. “You’re not going to punish me?” She questioned.

 

 

I shook my head. “I’m well aware that we’ll make mistakes on our first try so just don’t repeat again. I’ll let you off the hook.” I muttered, holding her arms tightly to give her a little guarantee that I wasn’t planning to go back on my words.

 

 

“B-But. . .”

 

 

“Everyone will forget about it soon.” I said calmly. “Just . . . Don’t be late.” I uttered, scratching my ‘not’ so itchy head. I wasn’t sure if I could comfort her given with my position so I held back my tongue, patting gently onto her petite shoulders as I walked away.

 

 

We met up quite often during the librarian board meetings. It was then I could grasp a little itty bitty pieces of her personality here and there.

She was smart; typically good at Math, kind and just a loveable person in nature. Plus she had an artistic side of hers and Seulgi told me that she took Physics as well aka her classmate.

 

 

We instantly zinged after we planned a secret celebration for our president one time. Rose and I went to Mina’s house to prepare the president’s birthday gift. At that time we were good friends but not close enough to know one’s interests either. It was only then, after the president’s birthday that night, we started having an actual conversation; sharing common passion in arts, music and food.

 

That’s how we became close friends.

 

 

“Hey Wannie! The cafeterias today served kimchi fried rice and guess what I told them to add.” The girl with her perfect wavy hair tied into a bun, chirping as she frantically opened the door. A waft of chilled fresh air hung in the room and the sound of the rain got louder.

 

 

“Fried egg!” I exclaimed, my feet were literally tapping onto the floor giddily when she gave me the green lights. I gave her a high five as she placed the food on the table.

 

 

I unbox the food packages while Rose was wiping the cutleries. “Yah. Kimchi fried rice must always be accompanied with egg. They’re practically married to each other.” I beamed with my tummy rumbling in hunger. “Oh! We have tofu and veggies!?”

 

“I asked the cafeteria guy for some side dishes and he was kind enough to give me some for free.” She winked.

 

 

“Wow. Chaeyoung, I should be nice to you in the future.” I cracked.

 

 

“Wae?”

 

 

“Because I can have extra food.” I simply answered, wriggling my brows, in which she rolled her eyes. “Well since you’re so cute and pretty all the guys are giving you free food!” I added.

 

 

“Ey. Wannie, sometimes there’s no choice but to do so okay.” She puffed her cheeks.

 

 

And I bobbed my head as I laughed because I’ve lived with my sister and she does it all the time with the men she dealt with. So I can’t really blame her. People may talk back behind her but really, she just outwitted them out of it and it was their decision to give it free or not.

 

 

“Dae Chaeyong sungsaenim. Thank you for your hard work.” I quipped jokingly, bowing into a 90 degree angle before her before enjoying my meal. Having a friend like Rose also has its perks.

 

 

“Ah! I made some scones. Do what some?”

 

 

Her eyes immediately lit but then they drastically melted down. “Wait, are they any blueberries in them?”

 

 

I smirked proudly. “Hoho. You’ve underestimated me! I knew you hated them so I opted with chocolate!”

 

 

Rose was literally clapping her hands like a seal, which was really funny just by imagining it. As she took her first bite, she gave me a thumb up. “It’s so good.” She coed.

 

 

Sigh. At the back of my mind, I wished I could give them to Irene so that she could review them too.

 

 

“I’m glad you like them.” I have a faint smile, scooping some more kimchi fried rice in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter