Episode 6: Element of Surprise

My unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's PoV

 

Joy was munching her food; enjoying the delicacies before her, as she brought up the conversation since it came across her mind at spur of the moment. “By the way, this morning, one of the guys from the jocks team confessed to Irene unnie.”

 

“Oh is he hot?” Yeri wriggled her eyebrow as curiosity began to overtake her body system.

 

“He’s more to the cute type.” Seulgi admitted, not really immerse with the conversation but try to satisfy the little satan’s curiosity.

 

“Wow, seriously. . . I mean it’s like the 10th confessions streaks in this month alone. Aren’t you the popular one unnie.” Yeri rolled her eyes in amusement.

 

 

“Don’t mention it. You should count Joy in too. A lot of guys are drooling over her when she’s dancing and they gave her hand written letter into her lockers.” Irene spoke her words calmly.

 

 

Joy flipped her hair to the side of her neck, smirking in pride. “Of course! At least they know how to appreciate a total beauty like me right Yeri?” Joy blew a kiss and gave her a wink as the finale before she resumed enjoying the food on her plate. Yeri narrowed her eyes in disgust seeing Joy being in her own zone of confidence makes her want to puke.

 

 

“Eww. No thanks. I’ll pass. . .Anyway what about Wendy and Seulgi unnie?”

 

 

This immediately piqued Irene and Joy’s attention off the bat since it’s not every day they talked about something personal like love or anyone that sparks their interests.

 

 

Wendy and Seulgi lifts their heads in a blink of an eye as soon as their name are being called. “What about us?”

 

 

“About your love life. Anyone caught your interests?”

 

 

Wendy and Seulgi gazed at one another with a perplexed look on their faces as if the term ‘love’ sounds like a foreign language to their ears.

 

“Nah, I’m not interested in anyone at the moment. I want to focus on my studies for now.” The young hamster explains shaking her head as she has finally cut the chicken into pieces and tries to share some of her portion with Seulgi, probably just dodging the question altogether.

 

 

Seulgi nods her head in agreement. “Me too. I’m not really that interested in love either.”

 

 

“Ceh~ Both of you unnies are so boring! Ah! I think I know why both of you are not interested in love!” Yeri exclaims.

 

 

“Huh?!” Wendy and Seulgi widen their eyes, as to how the little Satan came up with reasons to deduce their disinterest in love.

 

 

“Seulgi’s been awfully close with Sunmi sunbae and she’s practically fawning over her the past few months.”

 

 

“Yah! Sunmi unnie is a very kind person! Who wouldn’t fawn over her kind and dorky nature! It’s unnatural when you think about it!” Seulgi protested, while Wendy starts laugh as she witness the cute bear riling up more than usual.

 

 

“I could say the same to you too Wendy unnie. Aren’t you fawning over Irene unnie too.” Yeri grins evilly.

 

 

“Yah! If you don’t appreciate the cute bunny here, you must’ve been blind!” Wendy protested, promptly clinging one Irene’s arms like a koala bear. This leaves Joy and Yeri to cackle in laughter while Irene’s seemingly shaking her head. “Aigoo what should I do with you Butter wan.”

 

 

“But unnie~ I can’t help it okay. Your cheeks are irresistibly cute and your meat is soft and squishy and and!!.”

 

 

“Someone save me please.” Irene tittered.

 

 

“Who needs boyfriends when both me and Wendy have Sunmi and Irene unnie right Wan-ah?” Seulgi pouts. Wendy presses her lips, nodding her head vigorously.

 

 

“Omo omo. Detective Yeri you’ve solve the case in a blink of an eye!” Joy chortles.

 

 

“I know right? You don’t call me Satan for nothing.” Yeri grinned.

 

 

 

 

 

The school bell had finally ring. Everyone instantly pack their belongings and exit the classroom as soon as possible.

 

 

“oh? Seungwannie, you’re not going back home today?”

 

 

“Yeah. The librarian board is having the first meeting. I wouldn’t wanna miss it! Joy you’ll accompany our cute bunny right?”

 

 

Joy raised her eyebrow, looking at Wendy sceptically as she uttered, “What’s in for me if I accompany this lovely bunny?”

 

 

Wendy grinned as she exclaims, “Extra serving of fried chicken.”

 

“DEAL!” Joy shouted at the top of her lungs as soon as those five words reached her ears.

 

On normal days, Irene would laugh out to her heart’s content with the two comical acts but today has been taking a toll on her; a community to lead in her recent club, dance club practice and piles of homework. She sighs heavily, watching the two nodding their heads, staring at Wendy’s sweet addicting smile directing towards her causing her to reciprocate with a smile naturally plastered on her face as well. For some reason something was missing when she watched Wendy’s shadow disappearing from her sight. What was missing?

 

“Hmn? That’s weird. Wendy always hugs you before she leaves right?”

 

 

Ah. Irene turned to look at Joy as if she has solved the riddles to her question. Indeed, what Joy said was true. The dorky hamster never fails to give her a hug before parting ways with her.

 

 

“Maybe she’s in a rush for the meeting.” Irene merely shrugs her shoulders, not bothering much as she walks out from the classroom, wanting to reach back home as soon as possible to take a nice long bath and sleep as much as she wants since it’s been a while she her a free time in the afternoon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sorry I’m late!” Wendy bursted, still huffing and puffing from all the running along the hallways.

 

“Wendy calm down. The meeting haven’t even started yet.” Leeteuk tittered, patting onto her back as she walked into the small room specifically designed for those who wear coats.

 

“Leeteuk sunbae!”

 

“Glad to see you’re looking good kiddo. Anyway since you’re here, let me introduce to you the juniors! I’m sure you haven’t met them yet.” He simply ushered her into the meeting room, introducing every single one of them, particularly the juniors since there’s no girls spotted yet. She did recalled another five more girls who will joined the meeting as well. “This is Park Chanyeol. He’s the head boy for the juniors for the next one and a half years. Get along okay!”

 

 

“Omo! Chanyeol-shii! It’s been a while!” Wendy beamed happily as soon as she saw him in sight, shaking hands with him as he flashes a smile to her in return. “It’s been a while indeed noona.”

 

 

Leeteuk who looked rather surprise voiced out his curiosity, “How did you two meet?” He wriggled her eye brow while grinning as he looked at Chanyeol.

 

 

“We met through a mutual friend and hanged out together one time. I couldn’t say we were close but at least I can remember his name.” She mutters.

 

 

“Yah, Wendy-shii when did you became popular?” Leeteuk teased, ruffling her hair as she pouted.

 

 

“Sunbae~ I thought you have other stuff to do.”

 

 

“I do! I’m only here today specifically to monitor your meeting as the ex-president.” He grinned. For the rest of the remaining time, Wendy chatted with a few of the juniors that were being introduced by Leeteuk and having him around eases her anxiousness as it was her task in being strict with the people whom she’ll work with in the long run.

 

 

A clap of a hand echoed throughout the room which immediately caught everyone’s attention; a signal to start the meeting. Leeteuk instantly excused himself, walking to the opposite site of the table to watch over the whole meeting as it takes place. Given that her position is the second vice president, Wendy sat beside Chanyeol followed by the girls who held secretary and treasurer and so forth.

 

 

“Nervous?” A voice immediately snapped her out from daze.

 

 

“Yeah a little.” Wendy twirled her thumbs, giving him a slight nod as the new president declare the new rules established in their era of governance of the librarians.

 

 

“Don’t worry noona! I’ve been a librarian since I was in my 6th grade. You can come and ask me if you’re not sure.” Seeing Chanyeol being a sweet kid reminded Wendy of her brother who’s currently studying in Canada and he’s probably the same age as Chanyeol too.  Her smile radiated so brightly like sunshine, gently caressing his shoulders briefly, “I’m thankful for having someone as reliable as you Chanyeol-shii. I think I feel better now.” This left an instant flush on his cheeks, not that the oblivious Wendy would know.

 

Upon the end of the president’s speech; Wendy stammered a little at first as she highlighted her points and stating a few sets of rules regarding the girls’ discipline with butterflies in her stomach followed by the rest of the speech were made by each section unit. As nerve wrecking as it sounds, a part of her was grateful that Chanyeol was kind enough to support her all the way throughout the meeting session, chiefly helping her in translating difficult words since her Korean was still not really fluent nor was she articulate in it yet.

 

 

Chanyeol was certainly an angel descended from heaven.

 

 

The clock immediately struck 3p.m. as the meeting has come to an end. Everyone bid their farewells. Wendy quickly got up from her seat, arranging the papers and notes she has made earlier on, packing them into her bag. Her hands then shuffled throughout her bag and promptly halt Chanyeol’s pathway to the exit.

“Chanyeol-shii! Here, have some.” 

 

“Cookie?”

 

“My way of saying thank you for helping me just now! Ah. . .Were they not good enough? I was thinking of baking muffins this morning but then I didn’t have the time to since I was practically rushing and. . . Oh! Sorry! I said too much again. Pabo Wendy.”

 

Chanyeol stared at her for a little while, chuckling with her antics. Wendy is a little weird but definitely cute in her own little way. Wait. Cute? Park Chanyeol, have you gone mad?! He shook of his inner thoughts away, offering a sincere smile, steadily taking a plastic filled with chocolate cookies with a cute ribbon tied on it too. “They’re good enough really. Thank you, Wendy noona. I’ll enjoy it at home. Goodbye noona!”

 

“Dae! Annyeong Chanyeol-shii!” Wendy waved frantically from afar, running down the hallways and to the gate.

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene scurried her way back home and as soon as she reached the front door, she noticed the door to her house is unlocked. There’re even unfamiliar shoes arranged in accordance at the entrance to the condo. Paying no heed to it, she walked into the condo without making much noise, when she heard a grunt sound from the living room.

 

She bit her lips, keeping her poker face in check as she turns around to meet her parents with two guests sitting on the opposite side of the couch. “Oh Joohyun, come here. We want to introduce you to someone.”

 

Her eyes twitched when a young man approaches her with his hands extending out to greet her. “Hello Bae Joohyun-shii. I’m Song Seunghyun.” Instead of reciprocating the gesture, she took a step back, bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter