Episode 10: Pending Status

My unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author POV

Wendy was slightly irritated with the heat that was coursing throughout her body. She groaned grumpily, wanting to inch away from the source of heat. Yet her attempt fail deliberately as she noticed that her limbs just couldn’t budge. She lazily flutter her eyes open only to find her left arm was sacrificed as a pillow for a certain bunny and her waist was locked by both of the latter’s arms.

 

Her eyes widen.

 

Even if she wasn’t a doctor, she knew her blood pressure was skyrocketing. It felt like warmth was spreading across her cheeks. When her head finally registered their sleeping position, she was inwardly panicking.

 

She gulped. Sweat starting to trickle down her supple skins. It felt surreal. Her breathing became short and her mind felt so dizzy for a moment as if her lungs were giving out air. She uncomprehendingly stared at her so close to her face. All her irritation of the heat soon washed away.

 

Her mind went blank, confuse and staggered to be honest.

 

They were literally in a honeymoon hug position with their faces facing each other along with their entangled legs. She notice how clingy the Bae heiress was; both arms held her waist closely with her head nuzzling on her arms as she cradle her to sleep. It felt so comfortable like she was her safe haven and vise versa.

She knew for a fact that this bunny is so damn - “Cute.” She muttered unconsciously. Her heart pulsated, eyes fixated on the latter to make sure she was not showing any signs of waking up. Well that was supposed to be kept in her thoughts but it just slipped out. She finally calmed down since she’s still sound asleep.

 

She crooked her head and sighed heavily with her eyes closed, quietly inhaling her prominent scent. Wendy’s right arm was already encircling the Bae heiress’s neck to have her own body close to her. This is probably the closest she could ever get close to her after all. She bit her lower lips to stop herself from smiling. As much as she wanted to watch her sleeping face, she knew the guilt as a ‘friend’ had won over. She sighed heavily with a heavy heart.

 

She watched lights penetrating though her curtains, giving a lovely transitory brightness her dark room and she knew it was her que to get her working in the kitchen.

 

Wendy took one last look at her princess whom she adore dearly. She cupped her soft pale palms lovingly as she quietly whispered under her breath, “I love you.” And yes this is the only confession she could ever make once in her lifetime after all. There’re no second chances anymore after this. She gently place a kiss on her forehead, so subtle yet gentle to touch.

 

Today is after all, ‘Day 1’ of getting over Bae Joohyun.

 

 

 

 

“Good morning.” Wendy chirped when she finally heard footsteps sauntering down the stairs. She made a full 180 degree spin to place a plate of goodness on the dining table.

 

Irene lazily nodded her head and hummed, “Morning, Seungwan-ah.” She softly smiled across at the hamster who was already in her favorite khaki canvas apron that she specifically requested from her sister during her 13th birthday. It never failed to astound her. Irene who just woke up, ran a hand though her tousled midnight black locks. The curls that coiled round her pale fingers, so natural and bouncy that flowed over her shoulders and, Wendy thought, she was so captivating and somewhat bewitching.

 

“What are we having today?”

 

“O-Oh! The toast bread that I baked two nights prior and guacamole spread. I used the bacon oil to toast the bread to absorb the smoky flavor and since then I made hollandaise sauce with pouch egg too-” Her vibrant voice was clear as the sky as she continued on, the glistering twinkles was very much oozing out from her eyes showing her enthusiasm towards the effort and love that she put into cooking was one of the few things Irene really could never comprehend since it allows Wendy to be more expressive.

 

But that was a side that Irene also adored since the young hamster shared her thoughts about it despite her own lack of interest in committing herself to cook, still, it never stop intriguing her since Wendy seem to have so much to tell. Maybe that’s one of the reason why there’re friendship was always sailing. Both compliment the opposite nature. One was warm and the other was cold yet both fit so well together.

 

Irene took her seat after setting the cutleries. She never dare to enter the kitchen when Wendy was cooking because she’ll be upset and having her presence was distracting her as she quoted from Wendy Shon herself.

 

One time she recalled while Wendy was talking to her just for a few seconds and the boiling milk started to form a thick foam causing it spill over the gas stove. What a bummer.

“A tea for Her Highness.” Wendy’s voice snapped her out from her daze. She saw her ridiculously did a silly yet seemingly look like an extravagant bow with an impersonation of Joseon dialect that made her slang even funnier. Her laughter resonated throughout the kitchen, like a songbird that brought rumbles to Wendy’s soul as their eyes met with a smirk formed on the hamster’s lips.

 

“Thank you for your excellent tea, servant Wendy.” Irene said nonchalantly who seem to suppress her laughter once more.

 

She took a sip of her tea. Just perfect, the right amount of sweetness that perfectly blends with her hot milk. Only Wendy could make her milk tea that simply fits her taste. When both finally settled down for breakfast, Irene raised her brow. She noticed Wendy sat somewhere further away from her seating.

 

“Seungwannie~ Come and sit here next to me.” Irene purred, patting her hand on the chair to usher the cute hamster over to her side. Even her voice was so sweet like a honey that would certainly draw anyone close to her.

 

“Oh its fine unnie. I’m good being here. Come on let’s dig in because I’m starving.” Wendy politely rejected, turning her head away.

 

Her shoulders sunken as her lips stretched thinly. Her eyes twitched in agitation. Hold the up. Unnie? Was her ears playing tricks on her or did she actually called her ‘unnie’? Not that she wanted to brag or anything, Wendy never fail to fall for her aegyo.

 

What’s with the sudden cold shoulder? She seems to be plainly indulging herself with her meal as if she purposely planned to not level her eyes on her. Or was that all in her head and overthinking things?

 

She watched the hamster bolted up and rushed to the calendar right beside the kitchen wall, “Oh.”. As if she had come to realization, she peered at Irene’s way.

“What’s wrong?” Irene curiously asked, wondering what’s with the stare she’s hinting at her.

 

“It’s the time of the month.” She meekly said.

Her brows furrowed, not catching the hamster’s words. “What?”

 

“Um your period.” She stated.

Irene stared at her for a good 5 seconds before checking the date on her watch. Oh it’s the first day of the month. No wonder she felt so cranky when she got up adding up with the headaches she was feeling. Her eyes shot up to the hamster in awe, “Wait. How did you know?” Now that she thought about it, she always ranted out how she feels when she’s in her period; the moodiness that she never asked for that would taunt her. She grown to be more expressive with herself after Wendy gave her a comforting smile and reassured her that she’ll hear whatever she had to say. Sometimes the Bae heiress would be extremely quiet with a stoic expression. Her personality would be cold and frosty, not sparing a glance at anyone who wasted her precious time. One look on her face made others wouldn’t bother to approach her as if they could see a resemblance of her essence with a feline tigress. After all, nobody in their right mind would even try to be on her bad side.

 

“From the way you walk? You usually look like a graceful swan that would dance around the kitchen. And you don’t seem to talk much so I check the date to be sure. So yeah.” Wendy replied, scratching her not so itchy head in which Irene ventured to Wendy’s side and playfully slapped her shoulder.

 

She watched her in amusement. It felt like Wendy knew her body hormones better than she ever knew herself. Speak of the devil, she felt a gush liquid pooling down her nether regions. Her head instantly sank lower as the strands of her long black hair fell forward her flaming cheeks. She unconsciously pulled Wendy’s sleeves.

 

As if their minds were synchronized, Wendy quickly took a tampon from the storeroom and gave it to Irene, ushering her to take the nearest bathroom. Irene muttered a small thank you, seeing how attentive Wendy.

 

Really. Not many would be that attentive on the tiniest detail. And sometimes it scared Irene a little, how much Wendy’s kindness and affection was out of the world like she didn’t deserve it yet she had it all at the tip of her fingers. Being with Wendy was surreal and seeing her sincerity boring out from her actions makes a whole new difference on how she perceive the world.

 

When she walked out from her bathroom, she saw Wendy seem to have spoken a few words over the phone before hanging up. “Oh hey Irene unnie.” Irene immediately held her steps before she could even greet her. Her smile dropped. Her eyes blinked, puzzled with Wendy’s change of heart of calling her name instead of her usual nickname again.

 

“I got ox bone soup recipe from my aunt. I’m sure it’ll be good for you. Ah I should also make some ginger tea too. You can stay here for today. I’m sure Seunghee would love to have you here too.” Wendy smiled brightly.

 

Irene simply responded with a small smile lifted on her lips that never seem to reach her eyes before seeing her frame disappearing into the kitchen. She clenched onto the hem of her oversized T-shirt. Something is not right. Her radiant smile may fool any dumb stranger, but Irene knew better behind that fake smile. She was no fool to this folly trick. Although they seem to be carrying out their daily routine as usual, something was seriously not right and she knew it. She just can’t seem to point it out or even put her finger on it. It dampen her mood even more. She detest this uncertainty hanging between them.

 

Irene decided to offer to do the dishes since she had extended her stay with Wendy. Wendy politely rejected initially until she earned a threatening glare from Irene’s eyes that she relentlessly gave up and shut her yapping mouth.

 

Was it the period? Wendy thought to herself.

 

Later when she was cleaning the storeroom, Irene came in to help her with the work which Wendy finds this phenomenon strange. Not that Irene never helped her with the chores before, but usually it would be the lighter chores. If she had to be honest, Irene was a real definition of princess that was born to never do the heavy work.

 

Not to mention she didn’t like to carry stuff or even push the trolley when they’re at the mart. Well she didn’t know this piece of information because Irene never particularly told her until one day, Joy brought up a discussion about the traits and characteristics that they were looking in their future partner.

 

Wendy literally had her eyebrow rose up high up to her forehead. “I never knew.” She muttered.

 

“What?! The one who admired this grandma cabbage here didn’t know?” Joy said, genuinely surprise with the revelation. Wendy unconsciously gave Joy her puppy eyes, as if she actually committed a crime in front of the royals’ presence. “Sorry. . .” the hamster ventured timidly.

 

Upon seeing Wendy pouting, Irene swiftly turned her head towards Joy, furrowing her brow and shot her a death glare. “What’s with you?” Joy said accusingly, instinctively crossed her arms close to her chest to hide her fear from her piecing gaze.

 

“Tsk. I never mentioned it to her because I never needed to. Seungwannie would offer to carry stuff for me. And every time we got into the mart, she’s already pushing the trolley without being asked. Got a problem with that?” She bluntly stated without any reserve.

 

Joy nodded in silence, acknowledging her reasoning. She tilted her head, baffled with the unfolding truth regarding on these friends of hers. She watched Irene comforting Wendy, her soften eyes accompanied with a rather sweet honey voice as she reached her hands out to hold Wendy’s palms. This was extremely rare sight of her to do so.

 

What’s this? Joy thought.

 

It felt like there was a tension between them but then again she decided to shrug it off.

 

A small smile played on her lips upon recalling such fond memories. The complexity of knowing the Bae heiress was like peeling an onion; layer after layer. After the clean up, both took a shower and finally settled comfortably in the living room doing their own respective work.

 

“Hot chocolate?” Asked Wendy.

 

Irene simply responded with a “Hmn.”. She made her way to the bar counter to settle herself before resuming with her assignments on her laptop. For some strange, her presence gave her a sense of peace, as if it wasn’t too lonely anymore while Seunghee’s away.

She was wearing Wendy’s favourite sweater . . . again that covered up just barely above her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter