Two

The Twist In My Story (Chaennie)

Jennie POV

“Eomma, I am going to the library, I’ll be back by dinner time” I announce as I hurriedly walk past the living room towards the front door, but before I can leave my mother calls out

“Not so fast Jennie. Come here. Your father and I need to have a word with you” I stop in my tracks and slowly walk back to stand near the entrance of the living room “What’s wrong?” I ask

“Come in, have a seat” My mother beckons me and asks me to sit on the couch across them. I want to protest for I am getting late, but noticing the serious looks on their face I decide not to say anything.

“What’s the matter” My palms are getting sweaty as my mom fishes out something from her bag. I didn’t do anything wrong so why am I feeling this nervous.

“Here” she places a file on the center table separating me and my parents. Before I can pick up the file my father scoops it up

“It’s your evaluation report” My mother says

‘Uh oh’

“You have done well in everything except…”

“History, I know” I sigh cursing professor Lee in my head. I always knew he hated me.

My father looks at me with disappointment in his eyes, the look really hurts “Why did this happen Jennie? Did you not work hard enough?”

“I did! Mr. Lee is just way too stern with me”

My mother raises her eyebrow “Oh is that so? Because I happen to have had a word with Mr. Lee today and according to him you have been daydreaming in class and showing up late”

“That was one time! Moreover it’s just a B” I protest “It’s not an F or anything” I say this but I want to cry. I have never gotten a B before. I don’t deserve this. I bite my lip to prevent myself from breaking down.

“Well Jen, this attitude won’t do. We have always given you freedom, bought you all that you asked for and in return all we asked of you was to maintain good grades” father says

Freedom? Bull.

“I don’t know, you need to get back on track soon or I’ll replace your smart phone with an outdated phone” he continues. I nod

“Aren’t you going to ground her?” My mother says suddenly “The dean’s daughter getting a B! The Kim Empire’s sole heir getting not doing her best at school. What would people say?”

“Who cares about people!?” I say angrily

“We do! In this family we value our honor. And as the sole heir you have the duty to uphold the honor.”

“Got it. Can I please go now?” I ask with a lot of restraint for there is a lot that I want to say but I know it will be pointless. I can see my mother getting angry, but my father nods so I pick up my bag and leave. As soon as I am outside, instead of going to my driver I run out of the main gate with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Rosé POV

Ever since I moved to Korea one thing that I have been doing every evening is visiting the park near my flat. I went there on the first day I arrived, when I was feeling extremely homesick, and found solace walking under the setting sun, amidst the luscious tall trees and colourful flowery bushes. There was something comforting about watching the children play or the geese waddling in flocks through the lake. Just sitting on a bench and observing everything around helps when I need inspiration with my art. The park is my happy place.

But today something feels unusual. The children are running around happily, the geese are waddling together, even the trees and flowers seem fresh, yet something in the air feels a bit off. It’s not the usual cheerful happy vibe, if you know what I mean, and this makes me really confused. That is until I see her.

I notice, on my usual bench, a girl sitting with her feet folded, arms wrapped around her legs and her face dug into her knees. I don’t like to invade anyone’s privacy, but seeing the girl crying by herself really breaks my heart and so I decide to approach her.

“Excuse me” I say awkwardly “Is something wrong?”

She looks, her face is swollen and her eyes are red. But I recognise the eyes, not everyone has those cat-like eyes.

“You are Jennie right?” I say as she quickly wipes her tears, a little jumpy on seeing me.

“Yes yes” she says and offers me her hand “And you are Roseanne? Or is it Rosé?”

“Well my English name is Roseanne, but my Korean name is Park Chaeyoung and Rosé is simply a stage name” I shake her hand

She smiles a little “Okay so which do I call you?”

“Just Rosie” I say

“Nice to meet you Rosie, I’m sorry that the first time we talk you have to see me like this”

“Nice to meet you too Jennie and please don’t say sorry. I saw you crying and got a little worried that’s why I came over”

She smiles softly again “Let’s sit” she says and I sit beside her

“I don’t want to be invasive or anything, but if something is troubling you, you can share it with me”

Her smile disappears

“I got a B in the exams” She says with a sigh after a short pause. I keep looking at her with anticipation which leads her to give me a confused look.

“You got a B. So?”

“So? What does that mean? It’s a B”

“It’s just a B. It’s ok we all get that sometimes”

“No. Not me at least” she says tearing up again “My parents were so disappointed”

I am slightly puzzled but I guess by now it’s apparent that she comes from a strict family. I had heard about Jennie Kim the first time I joined the institute. The dean’s daughter who comes from a rich business family. I expected her to be an arrogant show-off girl, but instead whenever I see her I see an innocent quiet girl.

“Hey it’s all right!” I put an arm around her shoulder as she starts crying again “It’s ok you will get straight As next time I am certain” I her back to comfort her

“I am the sole heir of my family’s business empire. My family is very well respected. If I can’t be the best my family says I bring dishonour”

I hand her a napkin “Hey I’m sure that was just something they said in the heat of the moment. One B does not result in dishonour.”

“I know that. But my parents put too much pressure on me and I’m so tired of it”

We sit quietly for a while

“How was your result?” She asks suddenly

“Decent” I say

“You are a scholarship student. This was your first exam. I’m sure you got straight As. Probably some A plus too”

I hesitate “I did get straight As but just one A plus”

“Which subject?”

“History”

She looks at me with a sad smile “The very subject that led to my downfall”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Mr. Lee hates me. You are in my class, you see how he picks on me” I nod

“But honestly he is right. I haven’t been paying a lot of attention in class” she states

“Oh is there a reason for that?” I ask

“Not sure. I’m not a big history fan. My mind keeps wandering in class and I don’t want to be tutored by a man like Mr. Lee”

I nod again, followed by silence as we both contemplate

“I can tutor you” I say “If you want”

Her eyes brighten up slightly “Will you?”

“Yes. I actually like history a lot. I can make it interesting for you as well. That way it will be easier for you”

She smiles brightly now, the air in the park feels cheerful again “Oh Rosie I will be so grateful. I don’t want to be a burden though”

“You won’t be” I smile “I offered after all”

She pulls me into a hug “Thank you Rosie” she squeals “I can manage other subjects and if you help me I’m sure I’ll get right back to getting straight As and my family will be happy”

I smile at her rambling “Yes we can do it!”

She pulls away and we sit there a while talking. At first I tell her a study plan for History and we exchange numbers, then she asks me questions about Australia, I learn that she lived in New Zealand for 5 years, which is where I was born. She then asks me about my living situation and I tell her about Lisa, she tells me about her family and how strict everything is I can sense that she doesn’t like it but does it for the sake of her parent’s happiness. I tell her a little about my family and I slightly tear up talking about them leading her to give me another comforting hug. This feels nice. I was right, the seemingly mysterious cold girl is actually a really kind and cheerful girl.

As we get comfortable I find myself saying “It’s funny you were crying on this very bench”

“Oh. Why is that?”

‘This bench is kind of my sad spot too. I come here whenever I am sad.”

She raises her eyebrow

“Why were you crying here by yourself?”

“When I was new here it was mainly homesickness. A while later…” I stop myself

“A while later…?” She urges me to continue

“Well I had a breakup”

“Oh.” She says slightly surprised “I can’t imagine dating a guy. My parents would literally be so angry if I dated a guy because right now they want me to only study. But I’m sorry that you broke up with him. What happened? Was he cheating?”

I my lips nervously, not sure what to say “Uh well Jennie actually…it…um… wasn’t a guy” my heart races as I watch her facial expression change

“Was it a girl?” she asks

“Yes” I say nervously

She smiles and paces her hand on mine “Don’t worry. Don’t talk about it too much in college or you will be bullied but I am an open minded person and I think it’s cool for a girl to be interested in girls”

I relax. Oh thank god “I’m glad you think like that.”

“Is your family….do they know?”

I smile “Yes”

“And they are ok with it”

I nod

“Wow that is amazing. Lucky you. I would like to know more about this but” she looks at the sky, now dark “I need to go home”

“Right”

“It was lovely meeting you. I am forever indebted to you for agreeing to teach me”

“Oh no please. It’s not a big deal. Travel home safely”

“You too”

As soon as I turn around to leave I literally run. I am happy to have found a new friend but slightly regretful at having told her my biggest secret. I trust that she will keep it to herself but I am worried that it might ruin the friendship that we built today. I hope I am wrong.