One

The Twist In My Story (Chaennie)


Jennie POV

   Since I first laid my eyes on her I knew there was something very unorthodox about Roseanne. I am not saying it’s a bad thing, in fact if you ask me it’s quiet refreshing to have someone like her in a place like this, but I suppose I am the only one who thinks that way.

  Ever since Roseanne Park, or I believe that is her name, joined Hongdae Institute of Science and Technology, one of the most posh and reputed universities in Korea, she has been the talk of the town.

“Is she really from Australia? Her accent seems so fake”

“She comes to college on a bike? How can she even afford to study here?”

“Look at her giving all the right answers, trying to be the teacher’s pet. Who does she think she is?”

“I know right? Why is she always smiling like that? Such a show off”

“She doesn’t even own an iphone!”

  Ugh. Well to be fair I cannot blame my classmates for thinking like that. They are used to petite rich girls in expensive formal clothing at the top of their manners at all times. So it is only natural that when a girl arrives every morning on a bicycle instead of an Audi wearing converse instead of Prada heels, people are bound to take notice. And that’s the sad part about this place. People don’t accept different. You either fit in with the crowd or you are on your own. The latter is what happened to Roseanne.

  I would watch every day as she sat by herself at lunch with a huge tray piled with food eating to her heart’s content as everyone laughed. The strange thing however was that she seemed unbothered. She would simply read a novel or plug in her ear phones and travel to another world while the others simply stared and made faces whenever she used her hands or took a bite that was too big. It truly amazes me how she manages to keep a smile on her face despite the ill treatment from all the snobs. She just lets it slide.

  Maybe that’s why I am so fascinated with her. I’ll be honest I am not what one might call a friendly person. I have one best friend and a couple of acquaintances but I am content. I would like to think I am approachable but I usually don’t approach people mainly because I like to stay with my circle. However Roseanne seems to have made me change my mind about that. There is something about her that makes me just want to go and talk to her and the most annoying part of the whole thing is that I don’t even know why I feel this way.

“Jennie! Hello you are daydreaming!” My best friend Kim Jisoo nudges me out of my thoughts
“Huh what the…?” I look around and notice the students and our teacher Mr. Lee, all looking at me
“Well Ms. Kim? Do we have an answer?”
“What?” I ask dazed
“It’s a pity that you won’t be able to maintain your good grades if you keep getting lost like this” He sighed as my face turned red with embarrassment  and I stood up stammering apologies “Your mother wouldn’t be too happy if I report this to her the second time this week, would she?”
“No sir. I’m sorry” 
“Sit down and pay attention or your mother will hear about this”
“Yes sir, sorry sir” I fumed. So much for having your mother as your dean, not only does it give all the teachers something to threaten you with constantly, but also adds to the pressure of performing better, not like there wasn’t enough pressure already.
I heard some boys snickering in the back making me turn around and give them a cold look
“Now then you don’t want to get caught again.” Jisoo says making me turn back around and pay attention immediately. Mr. Lee finished his class in some minutes and left us early.
“Wow I can’t believe it. I swear he always picks on me because of a personal vengeance. What have I even done to him!?” I complain as we walk down the stairs
“I mean he had a pretty valid reason this time” Jisoo says without even looking at me, too busy trying to unwrap a candy bar “You were practically drooling while staring at the girl”
“I was what!”
“You were staring at that new girl. Didn’t you realize?” Jisoo offered me the candy. I waved her hand away
“Gosh this is so embarrassing” I sigh
“Why were you staring though?”
“I wasn’t! At least not on purpose” I blush making Jisoo snicker
“Talking about the new girl here she is”
  She walks past us without even noticing. Her red earplugs plugged in, a guitar on her back and a skip in her steps. She seems happy about something or rather, excited as she practically runs across the room. 
  The realization strikes me that I was staring again making me immediately take my eyes off her, but it’s too late. Jisoo is already smirking.
“Do you have a crush on her or something? What’s with the dreamy staring?” She pesters me
“Nothing! Shut up!”
“No wonder you keep rejecting all those guys”
“Jisoo, can you not!”
“It’s ok I support you”
“Kim Jisoo I swear…”
“Excuse me” I froze for a second as a melodic sweet voice struck my ears. I turned around and there she was with a soft smile on her lips and a twinkle in her eyes.
“I’m sorry to interrupt. I was wondering if you could tell me where I can find Ms. Jung the music teacher. I’m new here so still getting to know this place” she giggles sheepishly
“Of course” I nod “Her cabin is on the third floor right beside the biology lab.”
“Thank you.” She says. But just as she turns to leave I find myself asking “So you sing?”
She faces me again “Yes. I am still learning though. That’s why I was hoping I could get in touch with Ms. Jung so she could help me out with my performance”
“Performance?”
“Yeah I perform at café mocha on alternate Sundays”
“That’s nice. Good luck” I say awkwardly
“Thank you. I’m sorry I’m in a hurry but thanks for your help”
“No problem” I say as she jogs off

Roseanne POV


5 days later


“It’s your turn Ms. Park!”
“I’ll be there in a minute. Thank you.” I smile softly at the café’s manager who came to call me out for my turn to perform. I fix my brown hair and do my routine last minute vocal exercises before I pick up my guitar and walk out. 
‘Hwaiting!’ I say softly to myself as I make my way to the podium and sit on the stool. I look up to face the crowd and am immediately taken aback by the large number of people looking at me with anticipation.
“Ladies and gentlemen. Please put your hands together for  Rosé” The manager introduces me and is immediately followed by a loud applause making me blush softly and at the same time making me even more nervous.
“Thank you all for coming today” I strum my guitar “I have decided to cover one of my recent favourites . It’s a sad song but if you listen to me it will make me happy” I strum again and then proceed to playing the chords for ‘Eyes closed by Halsey’


‘I...I know how to play.
I know this game
It’s all the same’


  I usually sing with my eyes shut, a hundred percent focused on the music, but today I look around the crowd instead, locking eyes here and there. I see Ms. Jung with a wide smile on her face, her own eyes closed as she sways to my tune. I see Lisa, my roommate and bestfriend filming me with a huge grin on her face.. I smile at her. Suddenly just as I reach the bridge my eyes meet hers. The girl with the cat like eyes.


‘Now if I keep my eyes closed…she feels just like you’


  The moment our eyes meet something takes over me for I can’t look away. Neither can she. I notice her panic when our gaze first meets, but she doesn’t look away. A pink tint emerges on her cheeks as I smile softly at her and she smiles back at me. At that moment I swear for a second I forgot there was anyone else there. It feels like it’s just us with me singing for her. Sadly no matter how much longer I want to keep looking into her eyes I am forced to tear my gaze away and focus it back on my guitar.
  When I finish I stand up and bow. There is silence for a good ten seconds after which everyone stands and applauds. I can see people wiping away their tears. I quickly thank them and rush off the stage wiping hiding my own tears. Just as I get off the podium I am immediately attacked by Lisa’s tight hug and several kisses on my cheeks.
“Chipmunk! You killed it! I’m so proud” she says excitedly while squeezing me in her arms. I giggle
“Thank you Lisa!” Lisa is literally one of the only people I actually talk to here. She is also a scholarship student like me but from Thailand, studying in a different college and unlike me she seems to have gelled in well. I am really lucky to have someone supportive, caring and loving like her in my life. With her by my side I can face anything.
“You literally made people cry! That’s amazing”
“Yeah I really didn’t think I’d be able to do that” I say as we head back to our table 
“I really don’t know why you have to study in college when you have such an amazing gift” she says putting her arm around me as we walk. 
“You know how it is” I wrap my arm around her too “Maybe one day I can do this for a career but for now college stays”
She nods “Just like me and dance”
“Yes” I say as we sit down on a table “That reminds me, you should rap for me during one of my performances”
Lisa’s eyes light up “That sounds like a good idea”
The barista comes over and I ask her to get an Americano for Lisa and an espresso for me. She leaves and comes back five minutes later with our mugs. But before I can even take a sip Lisa protests and make me put my mug back down so she can take pictures. I can’t with this multi-talented girl.
  While she takes the pictures I look around the coffee shop. Everyone is engrossed in conversations. I notice Ms. Jung talking to another student who is supposed to perform next. I see several familiar faces from when I was up on stage, but I don’t see the girl with the cat like eyes. She has left and I don’t know why but it makes me sad.

Jennie POV


The Next Day
“You should have been there Jisoo! You should have heard her sing! Her voice is so beautiful” I can’t stop talking about the previous day with Jisoo over lunch.
“Firstly I know. You have told me this at least a hundred times till now. Secondly, I still cannot believe you went all the way there just to hear her sing.” She says without even looking up at me as she eats her chicken salad
“Like I said I was just passing by!”
She glances at me then back at her food
“You want me to believe that?”
‘Yes because it’s the truth” I cross my arms angrily 
“Whatever you say Jennie” she smiles still poking at her salad “But if it makes you any happier she’s staring at you right now”
“What where!” I turn around and there she is sitting with her earphones plugged in as usual. Our eyes meet and she smiles at me. I smile back. She stands up, picks up her tray and grabs her bag. She smiles at me again before walking out of the room.
“You look like a tomato” Jisoo snickers when I turn back around. I am about to yell at her for calling me a tomato but she speaks before I can
‘Why don’t you just go talk to her? Tell her you liked her voice”
I nod “I should do that”
“Then tell her she’s pretty and ask her on a date”
“JISOO!”
She laughs loudly. “Come on Jen, you have a crush on her!”
“Jisoo I am not gay or anything like that ok. And even if I was I am not allowed to date anyone and you know this very well. If I date my parents will disown me and moreover if it's a girl that I date they will literally kill me.”
“Ok ok calm down” Jisoo is still laughing “You sing too Jen. Maybe ask her to teach you the guitar or something. You know you want to talk to her”
I sigh “Yeah I guess that’s a good idea” I glance at my watch
“It’s gonna be one! Im late for class shoot!” I run off with my tray as Jisoo shakes her head
“Kids these days” I hear her say as I jog out of the room