two

Down the Memory Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                The sun was ablaze by the time Seulgi woke up. She should be panicking right now that she’s late to work, the thought is pushed back with her hazy mind, and decides to sleep in a few more minutes. She wills herself that she’d be able to come up with a reasonable excuse later that night for her to get away with the one day absence from work. Her exhibit yesterday was a good getaway plus almost everyone in her department knows the event that had transpired last night. They we’re going to understand why she was absent. It’ll be a one-time thing.

                Now that her body is tired from resting, or so she feels, Seulgi gets up past one in the afternoon. After getting herself fixed and going through her routine, she still feels restless after the long hours of sleep. Her bestfriend would’ve nagged her to be productive rather than sleeping in and lazing around.

                Seulgi thinks.

                If she were to move into the house Joohyun has bought under Seulgi’s name, ever so selfless, what would be her next step? Moving into the house near the coast would mean leaving her job and bestfriend behind. Seungwan was okay with it since she’s not the one to meddle with other people’s business and would rather support them. But leaving her job…

                Seulgi surfs the net for possible job applications near the place. She could work part time for the meantime, if she did move in, until she finds a permanent job to help her pay her bills. As she scrolls through the page, she clicks on one of the shops that requires services such as designing and photographing.

                This would do.

               

--

                “So I’ve decided,” Seulgi starts as soon as Seungwan sits down for dinner. Since she wasn’t able to go to her workplace today, Seulgi took initiative to clean the house up (her mess mostly) and prepare tonight’s dinner as thanks to Seungwan.

                “I searched for possible jobs there and there are a handful that matches with my taste. All I have to do now is file a letter of resignation.” She finishes.

                Seungwan carefully chews the food, first savouring the taste in .

                “You think they’re going to let you go just like that? You’re their best asset, Seul. But I’m glad you’ve made up your mind.”

                “You know that won’t stop me, Wan.” Seulgi grins.

                “For an idiot like you, yeah, it really won’t.” Seungwan agrees, giggling.

 

--

                After coolly placing her letter of resignation on top of the secretary’s desk of her boss, matched by Seulgi’s ever so charming smile and the overflowing confidence, she hurries out to politely bid everyone in her department goodbye before jumping in her Cadillac. Her car is fully loaded from the heaps of items she’d be bringing over, boxes over boxes. She’d have to go back again to the apartment for her remaining items.

                Roaring closer to the coastal area of the country, Seulgi rolls her window down to get a sniff of that sea breeze the locals over the internet have been bragging about.

                Serene.

                Peace.

                Just like her Joohyun.

                Seulgi needs this kind of environment now that she’s here, she might as well fall in love with the serene place. She could get used to this. The sea breeze hitting her every now and then, the traffic of the town barely building up, and maybe the people are to fall in love with. Seulgi revs her Cadillac and went her way.

                She’s parked in front a seaside restaurant for lunch. Seulgi gets excited with the overall of the restaurant, almost running to the railing at the back of the restaurant that has an overview of the coast.

                Oh god.

                This is it!

                This view, this town, a total contrast from the busy streets of the city. Seulgi didn’t really mind the soft giggles she received from the people for her excitement of the place. It was… beyond her expectation. Sure, she’s researched about the place but to see it with her own eyes, she’d have to tell Seungwan to also move into the place.

                When she’s seated comfortably by the table close to the railing, Seulgi orders her food.

                She really couldn’t keep herself still so she ended up going inside to check out the interior of the seafood restaurant.

                “Uh, hi?” Seulgi approaches a tall girl who seemed free from running around serving people their food.

                She smiles at her, “Yes? Is there anything that you need?”

                “I was wondering about that sign,” Seulgi points to the Hiring Applicants poster that was posted up against the wall obvious to whoever goes near the counter, “Can I still apply?”

                “Absolutely! We’re still in need of people. Why don’t you come back tomorrow?”

                “Yeah, of course! Thanks, uh,” Seulgi isn’t really sure what to call the girl.

                “Sooyoung.”

                “Guess I’ll see you again tomorrow, Sooyoung. Thanks!” She beams before going back to her own table, just in time for her food to get served.

                Her body called for rest, for her to get comfortable in bed, so after Seulgi finishes her food after an hour she drives up to the address that was sent to her email years ago by the real estate company that Joohyun had transaction with. The email came in two weeks after she’s left Joohyun alone in their shared apartment. And gosh did she feel so terrible

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter