five

Down the Memory Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No, Wan, can you, can you shut up for a moment?”

                “No, she isn’t awake yet.”

                “Wan, call me later, okay? I’m cooking breakfast.”

                “For someone so sophisticated as you, why are you causing this much trouble, like, for the first time in forever? Are you on something?”

                “Oh, shut up. I’m ending the call.”

                “Oh- Hyun!” Seulgi jumps, surprised not because she’s already awake but for calling her name so intimately.

                “Sorry,” She mumbles. “I didn’t mean to call you that.”

                Joohyun remains expressionless. Seulgi tries not to mind the heavy atmosphere, quickly leaving the cooking food to pull out the chair from the dining table to invite Joohyun to sit down and have breakfast, and thankfully Joohyun did. Silence. Seulgi continues to cook for the both of them having the sizzle and casual pouring of milk and water fill the room. There’s nothing to talk about anyway. If there is, Seulgi is too scared to initiate one as of the moment.

                Joohyun sits at the table waiting for Seulgi to finish, head down knowing or rather remembering bits of what happened last night, definitely embarrassed.

                They settle for this kind of setup. Quiet. Seulgi taking quick glances at Joohyun and in return Joohyun at least gives her the slightest quirk of her lips. Not that it’s anything special. But it still is something to Seulgi.

                “You feeling better?” Seulgi asks.

                There is a slight pause before Joohyun places back down her spoon. She plays with it.

                “Probably,” Joohyun coughs then.

                “Do you want me to drive you to your house?”

                The silence felt longer. Too long that Seulgi feels she violated her space and limits. Joohyun just sat there unmoving.

                When Joohyun looks up to pierce a cold look at Seulgi, she tenses up.

                “For one,” Joohyun deadpans. “This is my house.”

                “Just how thick is your skin to do this?”

                Well that isn’t really a pleasant breakfast for the both of them. Seulgi really would’ve settled for the quiet and tensed mood rather than having to be engaged in this almost-argument scenario. Who would want that early in the morning?

                But Seulgi smiles instead.

                “I want to be your friend, Hyun.” Seulgi says it this time with a firmer voice. “And in my defense, this is our house. You bought it under my name. It goes both ways just to be fair.”

                “Don’t call me that.”

                Out of the blue came continuous knocks through the front door of the house. Seulgi shifts her attention to the sound and quickly excuses herself to open the door and see who is the person.

                “Sooyoung? What are you doing here?”

                The taller girl holds onto Seulgi’s shoulder, body bent trying to catch her breath, looking tired in her jogging outfit.

                “You okay now?” Seulgi asks again.

                Sooyoung only raises a finger. A minute, please.

                When she’s composed herself and is now fully functioning, she greets Seulgi a nice morning and picks up the box of milk that she’s brought as gift.

                “What’s this for?”

                “Well, it’s kind of late already, but it’s my house warming gift.”

                Confused, Seulgi asks, “Wait, you’re not here for Rene?”

                “Huh? Why would I be here for her? Unless- Did the two of you sleep together?! You nasty!”

                Sooyoung laughs and gives her a mischievous look as if fully knowing what went down last night between the two of them.

                “I didn’t know you had your eyes on Rene!”

                Somehow, despite being attacked by Joohyun earlier, Seulgi thanks Sooyoung for lifting her mood up. She’s always been a happy person and her happiness is contagious.

                “Can I come in?”

                “Sure-“

                Sooyoung walks past the owner. She heads straight to the kitchen and sees Joohyun slowly eating the left food on her plate. She makes her entrance a little over the top, too distracting for this early morning, she twirls and places the box of milk on top of the counter then pulls out a chair beside Joohyun. So much coming from her.

                “What the hell are you doing here?!”

                Sooyoung shrugs and steals Joohyun’s plate and fills it with food.

                “I should be the one asking you that, Rene. Disappearing like that last night and then I find you here at Seulgi’s, you should explain yourself to me.”

                “No, why are you here?” Joohyun insists.

                “No reason. I mean, if you wanted a place to stay in so badly you could’ve just asked me and not disturb Seulgi.”

                “Not to interrupt but a place for Rene to stay in? What’s going on?”

                Joohyun glares back at Seulgi, “This is not your business.”

                “Apparently, she kinda is in the business. Don’t be rude this isn’t your house,” Sooyoung then invites Seulgi over the dining table to further discuss the topic, “Rene actually wanted to stay in this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter