eight

Down the Memory Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                The next day starts unusual, for Sooyoung that is, when she’s minding her own business tidying up the front counter when she hears the bell of the front door ring and there she sees the two, Seulgi and Joohyun, walking together. She isn’t (she is) exaggerating things that this is a sight unusual. She’s pictured this kind of scene probably after a few months, but it’s only been weeks, and they’re that. Already.

                She eyes them, obviously skeptical and somehow she’s in the mood to be nosy, the urge came from how chirpy Joohyun is than the usual of ‘Hey, I’m just minding my business so mind yours.’ and from Seulgi whose sharper and brighter, the both of them radiating unbelievably mutual positive auras. Most of all, because Seulgi is being way too obvious with her supposedly “stolen glances” at Joohyun. Sooyoung wants to know the “juice” of last night.

                Even after lunch SeaPlates is still packed with people. Waves after waves, came the people into the seafood restaurant. Sooyoung is joyed by this but she’s slowly getting impatiently as there is no time to take a break and have time to talk to both Joohyun and Seulgi. But came the surprising reward, for Sooyoung, to see Joohyun helping Seulgi out. By helping, she sees Joohyun running out to Seulgi’s side to takeover, with that sickening sweet smile, and then just shoos Seulgi away to do the next thing she’s supposed to do.

                With how busy they are, Seulgi and Joohyun, it’s impossible for them to even notice that they have some of the people’s eyes on them, in a good light that is. Finding the duo as a perfect match that compliments each other, fills up the other’s lacking area. And they discreetly smile.

                Sooyoung finally gets the chance and pulls Seulgi to the back of the restaurant. Seulgi follows willingly sensing that this might be an important and private matter for Sooyoung.

                But Sooyoung smiles wickedly at her. Like she’s been waiting for this moment the whole time.

                That, Sooyoung did.

                Dedication. All it takes is dedication. Sooyoung grins in triumph.

                “First of all, congratulations for getting together. Second, I know that the two of you did it last night, so, congrats to that as well. Not that it’s important-“

                “Woah, hold on! Getting together and having ? Who?”

                Sooyoung rolls her eyes.

                “The two of you, Joohyun and Seugli, duh? Are the two of you really dumb and dumber or something?”

                Seulgi clears and composes herself.

                “We are not together. And most importantly, we didn’t have ! What’s up with that Sooyoung?”

                “You didn’t? Seeing Joohyun that happy? Come on at least the getting together part is correct!” She insists.

                “No. We’re good friends now. And that’s it.”

                Sooyoung sighs in defeat. So much for waiting for the perfect opportunity to talk to one of them.

                “But she’s single, right? No one is pursuing her? I mean, if only the two of us could pass being just friends.”

                Joohyun is single. Seulgi only realizes later that evening the responsibility upon Joohyun’s shoulders. She has Yerim to raise and a restaurant to manage and run. Dating…

                Does Joohyun have time for that?

                Joohyun barely has time to look after herself when she’s home. She has to attend to all of Yerim’s calls. On a free night Seulgi would see Joohyun cozied up at the living room with the television running series, but when she’s face to face, Joohyun is all asleep. Poor woman, always tired. But Seulgi, despite this, smiles at how strong of a woman Joohyun is having to go to all that trouble. Always so caring of others that she forgets to take care of her own.

                The next days, now that Seulgi got a call back from the company she’s applied for, she barely has time and the chance to see Joohyun at night. It’s all about work at SeaPlates during the day and all about managing needed files for the company after. She has a presentation to work on. A good presentation may give her some more credit upon entering this company.

                Seulgi snores lightly in front of her laptop. She’s fallen asleep while working on her presentation, compiling her works throughout the years, brainstorming ideas to creatively present her work to the people there. She sometimes hates being an artist. It’s either she’s in a full on creative mood or at the edge of desperation just for a single drop of inspiration to push her to create. There’s no in between being an artist. These days, all she gets are blank ideas, some too formal for her own style.

                Style is always so hard to come up and blend with. There are ideas that only suit a certain style but not your own. Seulgi wants to conquer that stage. She wants to be able transform contrasting ideas to suit her own style, to be able to make it as her own.

                Seulgi shakes away from sleep, someone gently tugging at her shirt.

                “Yerim?” Seulgi says, sleepy and in a trance from unconsciousness.

                “You can’t sleep?”

                The little girl, with her full eyes piercing through her sleepy ones, nods. Yerim extends her arms out to Seulgi, the first few seconds Seulgi is confused with this then she picks the idea up, also picking Yerim up and sitting her on her lap.

                “Wow, Deulgi! You’re good at drawing!” The child muses.

                Ah.

                Seulgi missed those, hearing from others how good her works were. They made her feel confident about creating her own craft. It always helped her to push harder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter