seven

Down the Memory Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Ever thought how to get out of an awkward situation wherein you, your ex, and her bestfriend are all sitting together in one table to have dinner but it ends up where the bestfriend asks the question that you, and your ex, has been avoiding? It’s like that when Sooyoung casually asked why both of them broke up. She doesn’t mean it to be rude or anything, just a ‘casual’ question for exes that’s supposedly have moved on from each other- that according to Joohyun.

                Sooyoung thinks otherwise.

                “Well since the two of you don’t have any answers for me, try to figure it out. I’ll go check on Yerim.”

                Seulgi is off to washing the dishes just for the sake of not having to face this odd and somehow unsettling atmosphere that they’ve created. The longer she does the dishes, the deeper her thoughts were. Just why did they break up with each other just like that? When they could’ve talked it out like the mature adults they are right now.

                Right, we really aren’t much mature back then.

                Joohyun stays rooted at the dining room, probably thinking the same thing as Seulgi.

                “Hey Hyun,” Seulgi softly calls, “Did we really break up with each other?”

                “We didn’t really say that we’re over. We just.. left?” Seulgi’s voice is open, unsure.

                “Isn’t that another way of saying we’re over?”

                And Joohyun suddenly becomes emotionless as she recalls what happened between them. Nothing was said. She left and that was it. Joohyun wanted a new life, a life without Seulgi in it. And here she finds that, the almost perfect life, beside the sea. It suited her style. The house she paid for is here. But she really couldn’t put her tongue into it as to why she’s never stepped a foot inside of it. Until Seulgi came along. Again.

                “What if it isn’t for me?”

                Seulgi becomes nervous. Anxious. Her heart starts to pick up the pace and it suddenly feels heavy to carry.

                “What’s in it for me?”

                She waits.

                Seulgi tries to calm her heart, get her breathing back to normal. It’s hard to be suddenly vulnerable in front of someone who you want to see you as someone strong.

                Silence.

                Dead silence.

                Hyun.

                “Seungwan told me that there are fights between couples that can still be fixed and some are just supposed to be left where they were, you know, move on or fix it. That kind of thing. And I thought about what happened to us before,” Seulgi finally turns her back to the sink to face Joohyun. She’s listening to everything that Seulgi says. Joohyun is paying attention to everything. “If you still don’t know, I actually held an exhibit of my works.”

                “I know.”

                “Y-You do?”

                Joohyun does. She hates to admit that she’s searched Seulgi a couple of times before. And the biggest headline was flashing right before her eyes in front of her screen. Kang Seulgi is about to hold an exhibit, her very first. Then the other day was Kang Seulgi successfully held her art exhibit with people crowding the place.

                “Thank you. It’s a shame you weren’t there… But you know after the exhibit, Seungwan and I talked. She called me stupid and a loser for drinking wine after a successful event because I’m sad. I told her about you, us. How we broke up,” Seulgi checks if Joohyun is still listening. She still does. “And, days after that, I realized that maybe we lost communication with each other. We forgot how to balance ourselves. We were either too caught up with our personal things.”

                Joohyun holds back her tears. She shouldn’t become vulnerable in front of Seulgi. Not like this. Not when she’s hit directly the spot. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter