six

Down the Memory Lane
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                It rained the next day, making the scene mellow and the atmosphere lazy and somehow heavy. Seulgi still woke up early despite having the urge to sleep in because of the perfect bed weather. She’s done her morning routine, no emails from the company yet if she were accepted or not, so all she has left is to attend to SeaPlates later on. Since her morning schedule is clear, she went on a drive to the fresh market.

                She’s not exactly the morning type of person but this time, and probably the days after, will be an exception just because it’s Joohyun. And Yerim. She wants to get on the good side of the kid, very lovable, plus Joohyun would, maybe, like it if she were to be able to handle Yerim. Call her responsible for that.

                Seulgi bought fish and pork, all fresh having it deliver just this morning. After that she hurriedly went back home to prepare and cook breakfast for the three of them. The instance she gets near the kitchen, she smells coffee brewing.

                “Hyun?” Seulgi calls, and when Joohyun turns to her direction, she flashes her a smile. “Good morning.”

                Joohyun manages to smile at her, slightly, and replies back with, “Good morning too.”

                Joohyun is then again greeted with another familiar smile of Seulgi. Different from the first one.

                Getting Joohyun to say good morning back, ticked off the list. Seulgi inwardly says to herself.

                “Do you want fish or pork for breakfast?”

                “Fish.” Joohyun timidly answers.

                Just like that they let themselves be embraced in silence. Joohyun has nothing to say, no, nothing at all, not even how Seulgi was good at keeping Yerim company while she unpacks. So she patiently waits for the breakfast Seulgi is cooking and prepares another mug of coffee for the girl as a sign of thanks. Seulgi smiles at the small act.

                As for Seulgi, she really has a lot to say to Joohyun but she’d rather keep it all to herself as of the moment. The company she had applied for emailed her last night about the interview, nothing new to Seulgi, it’ll be over the weekend and she has a lot of time to prepare for it. But she’s confident enough that she’ll pass it. She has refined skills and experiences throughout the years. It’s a plus that she held Down the Memory Lane exhibit before. She’s at the top of her own league right now.

                Seulgi hears Joohyun’s phone go off. First part of the conversation, she didn’t pay much attention as it was just Sooyoung talking over the phone. Her ears perk up when Joohyun mentioned that there is no one that’ll be taking care of Yerim later this afternoon.

                That’s my shift.

                Joohyun sighs defeatedly after the call with Sooyoung, worried that there’ll be no one to look after her precious cousin. Yerim doesn’t like going to SeaPlates, reasoning that there are too many people and that she’s afraid she’ll be taken away once Joohyun doesn’t have her eyes on her. She sighs again.

                What am I going to do with you Yerim…

                Seulgi turns around and in hopes she suggests, “I can look after Yerim,”

                She searches for the approval in Joohyun’s eyes and quickly added, “Only if you want. I mean, if you and Sooyoung would let me skip my shift today. In return I’ll take extra hours tomorrow.”

                Seulgi flashes her a smile, something that would always work well whenever she was asking Joohyun of a favor back then. And in return, Joohyun also shows her a smile of thanks.

                “That’s nice of you but I’m afraid if you can take care of her. It’s not like you have any experience handling kids before, Seulgi.”

                “I have actually.” Seulgi chimes.

                “You have? When?”

                “Years ago when I was living ago with you,” Seulgi blushes and turns her back from Joohyun. She resumes cooking breakfast, lett

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter