- Just Trust Me On This One

Don't Walk Away... Darling [ChanBaek]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

V I I.

 

Just as Chanyeol begins the process of parking his pure-white BMW, Baekhyun starts filming the outro to their car journey. In the passenger seat mirror Chanyeol can see Baekhyun waving cutely infront of their camera, sweetly wishing his fans goodbye. He peeks a look at the younger and tries to hold back a laugh - but not well enough as Baekhyun can clearly see his eyes squint into a cresent and the corners of his lips turn up. The idol turns his gaze upon Chanyeol and stares at him with a questioning look. Instead of revealing the reason behind his outburst of laughter, Chanyeol decides takes his turn in saying goodbye to their viewers. 

 

His appeal isn't the same as Baekhyun's. Wheras the idol uses his warm, puppy eyes to draw in fans and accentuates his playful funny nature on camera, Chanyeol tries to put more of a royal take on the word 'charm'. He waves politley at the camera, enlarging his eyes almost automatically and slightly raises his eyebrows in cute (fake) surprise, so as to seem less formal. He bows his head slightly, only taking his intense blue eyes off the lense for a second. Baekhyun observes his mannerisms, impressed by how naturally he manages to come across on camera. Over the past year he's seen too many people record themselves for the first time, and very rarely have any of them gone so smoothly. And that's including him. 

 

He watches the other finish up his message, all the while wondering how to neatly end the current portion of film. Not many options seem that doable - either it's awkward and cut off, or... Or what? As some sort of answer to his distraction a memory of his manager's instructions float through his crowded brain, making him recall a possibilty that could go either one of two ways.

 

 

 

"If you don't seem close to the CEO on camera then don't even bother trying to gain your fan's love. If they don't think you two get along, they'll lose interest." Baekhyun nods his head, the usual gleam in his eyes disappearing as the conversation turns serious. "So act as if you are with Haung Zitao. The two of you get on well. If you are awkward with CEO Park, you should be disappointed in yourself." Zhang Yixing pauses mid lecture to make sure the boy understands. He soon notices Baekhyun's usual glow has disappeared. The manager's expression softens slightly as he realizes he is intimidating the boy.

 

"I'm sure you'll do just fine though, don't stress too much." Baekhyun smiles weakly at the older man, still scared of how the employees of Six Figures percieve him. He may be in his fifth year at the company, but a person's temper is un-guessable.. He opens his mouth to speak, but on second thoughts abruptly shuts it again. Mr Zhang leans slightly forward, and uses his eyes to encourage the idol to speak.

 

"But what about-" he pauses again. "What about when you said that i can't get close to anyone as there aren't to be any scandles with the collaberation?" Baekhyun looks up at his manager in cunfusion.

 

Mr Zhang sighs, and gently pats the idol's shoulder sympathetically. "You aren't allowed to become close in real life. Pretending to have that closeness only on camera is possible, so make sure those feelings aren't carried through into your normal life." His manager avoids the boy's hard glare, ashamed by the rules he's trying to enforce.

 

"The first thing you told me Mr Zhang, is to be the same person on and off camera. That's the only way to be honest to my fans, and be a believable idol!" An annoyed flush falls across Baekhyun's cheeks as he tries to keep his anger down.

 

"I'm sorry." The manager says solemnly , slowly edging his way nearer the door. "It's hard on you - I know."

 

 

So, Baekhyun thinks to himself as he continues to watch Chanyeol with the camera, I can either disappoint my company by not being close with CEO Park - something that Mr Zhang may kill me for, He looks around the car in search for an answer to his despairation. Or i can be close with him, and then disappoint my company by actually falling for him in real life.. He sighs at the situation, exasperated by his dilema. Trying to weigh the two options up in his head is difficult whilst also trying to not look too dis-heartened infront of the camera. 

 

After a few seconds of restlessly deciding, a flash of the thought it swishes through his mind. Baekhyun tilts his head towards Chnayeols, struggling to find the perfect distance where they're close, but not too close that they feel unpleasant. But he miserably fails at this as suddenly Chanyeol feels a fleeting brush of something agaisnt his cheek. Quickly he turns his head, surprised by the warmth of their touch. A buzz of electricity flows from where their faces make contact. Baekhyun seeing the shock in the other's eyes is not sure whether or not to feel regretful for his movement. But instead of pulling his face away from Baekhyun's, Chanyeol instead moves even closer, until cheek is touching cheek.

 

Baekhyun can feel the cells lining his stomach break away, forming into the most extravagant of butterflies. As every second passes, another butterfly takes flight inside him. As Chanyeol breathes, Baekhyun breathes with him. The idol can hear the deep inhale of the CEO, can feel his sweet, calming breath skim past his chin as it makes it's way into the world.And with each one of those breaths, the butterflies in his stomach seem to flap their wings faster and faster, until eventually their fragile bodies take off, flying into even the tiniest crevice of his body. 

 

The smallest of touches hits Chanyeol's cheekbone. He side glances at the boy, wondering where the sensation came from. It's only then does he register how close they are. The touch was Baekhyun's eyelashes just lightly kissing the side of Chanyeol's face. The elder smiles to himself, allowing his mind to focus on nothing other that the distance between them. Which is coincidentally, nothing. He smiles brighter than the sun as he forgets where he is and what he's doing. His conscience takes advantage of this sudden blind spot in his brain, and out of nowhere he takes Baekhyun's hand.

 

He doesn't comprehend his acheivement until he finds himself gaping at their intertwined fingers as he comes to the realisati

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter