Just One Piece

For Them, A Million Times Over

Yoongi didn’t have many friends in school. The reason for that fact wasn’t because Yoongi was mean (well not all of the time) or because the kids simply didn’t like Yoongi, but because Yoongi didn’t want many friends. He didn’t want to share his crayons when it was playtime. He didn’t want to share the soccer ball when the kindergarten class went outside onto the playground. He only wanted to share with Hobi. So instead, Yoongi stayed alone with all of his things until lunch and recess when he was able to see Hoseok.

“Okay, class. It is time to have lunch. Does everyone have their lunch bags?” The teacher Mrs. Jung asked with a bright smile. Yoongi giggled at the single streak of orange marker on her cheek that he’d put there earlier when she offered to color with Yoongi, who was sitting alone at the time.

“Yes, Mrs. Jung!” All of the kindergarten kids answered.

“Okay! So I want everyone to hold their lunch bags over their heads and show me that everyone has lunch today.” Mrs. Jung did the same with her own blue lunchbox. “Reach it as high as you can everyone.”

Yoongi grabbed his small lunch box from his backpack and put it over his head. He grinned. Yoongi loved his blue and red lunch box with race cars on them and was happy to show it off. Daddy and Appa picked it just for him.

Just like the teacher advised, Yoongi raised it high over his head, stretching his small arms above his head along with the rest of the kids in the classroom. Even a few grunts were heard around the classroom as some of the overdramatic kids- Hoseok would definitely be included in this group if he were in kindergarten and not the daycare.

“Good job, class! You know what, since all of you listen so well, we will go outside and eat with the nature. Plus, you all get an extra five minutes to play outside for recess!”

The class erupted in light cheering. “That’s like… the whole day,” one little girl gasped. Mrs. Jung couldn’t hold back a laugh.

“Not quite, Dahyun,” Mrs. Jung kneeled and ran a hand through the little girl’s hair. “But it’s extra time. And we shouldn’t waste it. So let’s go!” Just those last two words had everyone jetting from the their spots on the Korean Alphabet rug and towards the doors. As always, Yoongi was the last to leave but that was okay.

He waited until everyone had dispersed onto the gated playground and went under the big tree to wait for Hoseok’s class too.

With a little bit of difficulty, Yoongi managed to take the lid off of the lunch box with a small gasp. There was rice and meat with a baozi in there designated little corners of the bowl. “My daddys are so sweet to me,” Yoongi smiled. He’d just learned how to use chopsticks too! So he couldn’t wait to eat his food and teach Hobi how to use them too when he got here.

He slowly picked up the chopsticks-almost forgetting how to hold them- and his lunch box to begin eating. With a hum, Yoongi drifted in his own world while the other kids played and yelled around him. Yoongi liked being alone.

He’d only had about four bites of rice and meat when some of his classmates came over. Dahyun, Jihyo, and some other boy whose name Yoongi couldn’t remember at the moment. “Hi, Yoongi,” Dahyun greeted. Yoongi waved at the three of them and swallowed the half chewed food as best and as quickly as he could. He set his lunch box aside since the three of them were looking at him so closely. Go away please.

“You have a baozi, can I have it?” The boy asked.

“No,” was the first word that left Yoongi’s mouth without him even having to think about it. Yoongi loved his Appa’s baozi and didn’t wanna give it away.

“Why? You never eat your food anyway. I’m hungry and I will eat it for you.”

Yoongi’s stomach turned as the three of them looked down at him. He suddenly didn’t feel so good and didn’t want to eat anymore. Just the thought of eating now made Yoongi want to throw up. He wanted them to go away.

So he gave it to them. “You can have it…” Yoongi said with a forced smile, dropping his chopsticks into the grass and pushing the box towards the boy. The boy smiled and clapped at himself as if he had achieved something.

“Give me some too, Yoongi!” Dahyun exclaimed. She kneeled next to Yoongi and grabbed for his hand, folding it between hers in plea. Yoongi stayed completely still as he took a deep breath. “Please, please, Yoongi!”

Yoongi wanted to throw up. And he was sure he was going to if they didn’t get away from him and take the food with them.

“Stop it! Stop it! No!” A small voice yelled as persistent steps followed, trudging through the grass.

Hoseok was sprinting now when he saw that Yoongi was on the verge of tears and that some boy was about to eat his brother’s food. Moving as fast as his small legs allowed, Hoseok continued to yell. “Give Yoongi his food back! That’s for him! Not for you!”

Hoseok dropped his own lunchbox and began to push them all away like animals in some way. He forcibly pried Dahyun’s hands from Yoongi and pushed her away along with Jihyo. “Go away!” Hoseok then snatched up the lunchbox from the boy’s hands. He used so much force that some of the rice and meat went flying out of the little lunch box.

Yoongi just stared as more kids seemed to notice Hoseok’s yelling. There was no doubt that they noticed that Yoongi was trembling and in tears on the ground behind Hoseok. Oh no. Stop it, Hobi.

“Why are you doing that?” Dahyun questioned with a pout.

“Yeah, Yoongi said we can have it,” Jihyo joined in.

“But it for him. Not you. So. Leave him ALONE.” Hoseok screamed so loud in the three kids’ faces that the teachers heard and the three of them began to cry. Hobi hated to hurt people’s feelings. Usually when he did, Hoseok would even join in and cry too because he felt so bad. But this time, Hoseok didn’t even give a frown in response to the three crying children. He only turned around and placed the little race car lunch box in his older brother’s lap.

“Here, Yoongi. You can eat now,” Hoseok said when the three kids ran away. With them gone, Hobi sat next to his brother with his back against the trunk of the tree also. He’d grabbed his own lunchbox and began to eat with his personal fork.

“No. I-I don’t w-wanna eat,” Yoongi uttered shakily, pushing the food back onto the ground.

“Why not? Appa made baozi.”

“I-I… I don’t feel good.” Soon after, Yoongi began to cry. He didn’t know what was wrong, but all he knew was that he wanted his Appa and Daddy. He didn’t want to be around all of the kids at the school.

His tummy flipped again.

“Yoongi, are you okay?” Hobi pulled Yoongi in his arms and hugged him tight. In just a few moments, Hoseok was crying along with Yoongi. “What to do?” He whispered. “What Hobi do?”

Before Yoongi could answer, a feminine voice called out to Hoseok. “Hoseok?! Did you make your classmates cry?” Hoseok’s daycare teacher, Ms. Zhang, stalked over to where Hobi and Yoongi sat under the tree.

“They were being stupid heads! They won’t leave my Yoongi alone! They made Yoongi cry,” Hoseok cried.

“That is a mean thing to say to your classmates, Hoseok. You have lost your playtime,” Ms. Zhang said. “Go inside now.”

Hobi gasped.

With four people surrounding him, Ms. Jung walking over, Hoseok clinging to him. and the repulsive smell of food in his nose, Yoongi’s tummy flipped and flipped. Until he vomited right onto the grass. He hadn’t eaten too much so most of what he had vomited wasn’t even food.

So embarrassed. Wanna go home. Everybody is looking at me. Appa! Daddy! Everybody is looking.

With the last bit of energy he had, Yoongi stood on wobbly legs and ran away towards the school building. But not without Hoseok’s hand in his as he dragged him along with him.



 

Seokjin and Namjoon rushed into the school building as fast as they could without actually running. They didn’t know exactly what was going on because unfortunately, the teachers had no idea either.

All they were told was the Yoongi locked himself in one of the classrooms with Hoseok. And while they could easily use the principal's key to open it, they knew it would only irritate Yoongi further and cause him even more distress than he was already feeling.

As soon as Seokjin had gotten the call from the school about Yoongi, he’d finished preparing his last dish and was darting off towards his car. Jeonghan had promised Jin that he’d take care of everything with the head chefs on his behalf. Gosh, what did Jin do to deserve such a great friend?

Namjoon almost missed the call from Seokjin because he and S.Coups were in the studio making a beat and he didn’t even hear his phone ringing. If it hadn’t been for Seungcheol glancing behind them and seeing Joon’s phone lighting up, Namjoon wouldn’t have known. To thank Seungcheol, Namjoon placed a firm kiss to his forehead and was rushing out of the studio to meet Seokjin downstairs.

As soon as the teacher-if Seokjin remembered correctly, this was Ms. Jung- noticed the two of them looking around frantically after entering the double doors of the school, she waved them over to follow her down the decorated hallways. “Thank you for getting here so quickly. I’m not sure if you remember me, but I’m Yoongi’s teacher, Mrs. Jung.”

“Yes. I remember. What’s going on with Yoongi?” Normally, Jin would have responded with some enthusiastic response, but all he could think about at the moment was Yoongi and Hoseok. Namjoon couldn’t focus either.

“I haven’t been able to talk to Yoongi or Hoseok about what happened, but a few other kids said they were simply asking for a bite of Yoongi’s lunch and Hoseok got really angry about that. He made the kids cry. Yoongi and Hoseok are both great kids and seem to be best friends, so I’m not really sure what’s triggering such behavior today.”

“How many kids were asking for Yoongi’s food?” Namjoon questioned. Ms. Jung looked a bit taken aback by Namjoon’s sudden input. Shouldn’t Seokjin be asking these questions? Yoongi was Jin’s son, correct? Not this random man.

She glanced over to Seokjin who didn’t look at all bothered by the man’s question so Ms. Jung answered. “There were about three kids.”

Seokjin and Namjoon shared a worried glance. It all seemed to make a bit more sense now. Directing too much attention on Yoongi while he was eating was an instant trigger for him. Seokjin could only imagine how overwhelmed he must’ve felt. Ms. Jung stopped at the colorful door of the playroom with a slight smile. “They both are locked in here. Maybe you could talk to Yoongi to get him to open the door for us and let Hoseok go back to his own class. He won’t even respond to us.”

“Of course.” Seokjin looked to Namjoon again before they both hesitantly stepped up the door. Jin placed both palms on the door and calmly called, “Yoongi-Bear. It’s me… It’s’ your Appa.” He placed his ear to the door soon after to listen closely for Yoongi’s voice. He didn’t hear Yoongi’s voice but he definitely heard Hoseok’s.

“Appa?”

“Hoseok? Yes. It’s me.”

There was a short moment of quietness. Just the small sounds of the two boys’ whispering. He couldn’t make out what they were saying though.

“Is Daddy there too?”

“Yes,” Namjoon called. “Daddy’s right here.”

It was needless to say that Mrs. Jung definitely grimaced at that, wondering if there was any other explanation for what she’d just heard. These seemingly decent men couldn’t… wouldn’t do something so… disgusting as raise children together. They were two men and it simply was wrong. She couldn’t imagine the detrimental effects og the children’s health to be raised in that sort of environment.

“Daddy wants to know if you’re okay, Hoseok. Is Yoongi okay?” Namjoon questioned with a sweet voice. One that he usually used with Yoongi on those days when he felt clingy or wanted more attention than usual. To let him know that his dads will always be there to cuddle him in excess amounts of love if he ever needed or wanted it.

“No. I’m not okay.” That was Yoongi’s voice. So small and embarrassed. “I want to go home. Please, Appa and Daddy...”

“You have to open the door first, honey,” Seokjin cooed.

“Can you please open the door for us?” Namjoon followed, rhythmically tapping his fingers on the door. It was offly soothing and Seokjin instantly recognized the tapping as Yoongi’s favorite little nursery rhyme. Seokjin would sing it sometimes for the boys when they couldn’t sleep. While Jin’s voice would caress every part of their being, Namjoon would run his hand lovingly through the boys’ hair. It always put the boys straight to sleep.

Just a few seconds went by, just silence. However, the faint click of the lock and the wiggle of the knob let them know that it opened.. Both of them sighed in relief as they slowly pushed the door open, revealing Hoseok who pointed over to Yoongi sitting in the middle of the floor, on the rug that displayed all of the colors. 
Seokjin gave an affectionate smile to hide his sadness from Hoseok while looking at Yoongi. He was covered in what looked to be dry vomit. His hair was messy and his usually pale skin was painted in red from being so overwhelmed. The whites of his eyes were red too from crying so much. Hoseok was in a much better state as Jin watched him rush back to Yoongi, being the support he needed.

“Yoongi… what’s wrong?” Seokjin asked. Now that they were in the comfort of the playroom, alone with their children- completely oblivious to the fact that Ms. Jung was standing right behind them- Namjoon grabbed for Seokjin’s hand. Letting their sons know, that their fathers were there for them, together as they sat down cross legged in front of them.

Yoongi didn’t say anything for a moment. Just continued to stare at them, disoriented in a way. “They wouldn’t leave me alone, Appa. They ask for my food. They look at me. Why do they… look while I’m eating.”

“I understand, Yoongi. But… can you tell Daddy why you don’t like anyone looking at you? What are you so afraid of, sweetheart?” Namjoon asked.

“I look like a monster… they say I look like a big, ugly monster when I eat… I don’t wanna b-be ugly, Daddy.”

“You aren’t ugly! You’re so pretty!” Hobi exclaimed with wide eyes as if he couldn’t believe the words that just left Yoongi’s lips. “So pretty!” Hoseok wiped a tear from Yoongi’s cheek.

Seokjin chuckled. “Hoseok’s right, Yoongi-Bear. You’re such a handsome boy. You are not ugly.”

“One of the best looking kids I know,” Namjoon added with a cheeky smile. He reached over to pinch Yoongi’s cheek that had a few traces of vomit there.

“How about this,” Seokjin said, catching their attention. “We’re gonna go home and we’re all gonna take a bath in our bathtub.”

“Really!! The big bathtub!?” Hoseok gasped so hard that Namjoon had gotten scared for a second, afraid that the boy might’ve hurt himself.

“Yup. We’ll put bubbles in there too. Then we can eat something really good and then sleep in the living room tonight. We can even ask Uncle Junnie and Uncle Kris to bring your cousins over. How does that sound, Yoongi?”

Yoongi weakly smiled and gave a thumbs up. With their hands still interlocked, Seokjin reached for Yoongi’s hand and Namjoon reached for Hoseok’s hand to help the both of them stand.

Turning around to head for the door, Ms. Jung was still standing there with a look that Jin nor Namjoon bothered to try to decipher at the moment. They both just nodded their thanks to the teacher for calling them and proceeded to sweep each boy into their arms to exit the school building.

 

After a bubble bath with his daddys and brother and being given a plate of all of the baozi he could eat in one night, Yoongi was fast asleep with Hoseok at his side and his dads cuddling them both between them on the living room floor.