Birthday Kisses

For Them, A Million Times Over

To put it simply, Jin was tired, exhausted, and any other word that describe his intense lack of energy at the moment. He usually had lots of energy when Junmyeon was around but everyone had outdone him today.

The Avengers played for about ten minutes max before the commotion began. Hoseok and Luhan were wrestling on the living room floor while Yoongi and Minseok crushed the popcorn that made its way onto the floor into little small pieces. How much sugar did they have today?

It was fair to say that Namjoon was the reason things had gotten so hectic.

When Seokjin first put the movie on, the kids obediently cuddled together on the floor- of course with Hoseok smushed together in the middle- with an assortment of different snacks around them thanks to Namjoon and Kris who once again used the “It’s his birthday” excuse. Just one look at Hoseok’s face, Junmyeon and Seokjin just couldn’t deny him. Seokjin was regretting it now.

Junmyeon and Kris were situated on the love seat while Seokjin and Namjoon cuddled on the couch with their own bowls of popcorn. It was peaceful for a few minutes, but Seokjin should’ve known better than to expect everyone to just simply watch the movie.

It started with Namjoon pitching a single popcorn at Kris, it lightly bouncing off of his head. The first time, Kris hadn’t even moved a muscle, focusing solely on the movie and completely oblivious to the popcorn that had just hit him. Seokjin pinched Namjoon lightly in warning but the younger quickly ignored him and pitched a handful of popcorn at Kris the second time. Not only did it catch Kris’ attention, who also ignored Junmyeon’s warning and pitched popcorn back at Namjoon, it caught the kids’ attention who instantly responded by pitching their own popcorn and even a few pieces of candy at each other,

Jin had tried to calm everyone with the help of Junmyeon but once Kris dumped the entire bowl of popcorn on his head, a few pieces in his shirt, Junmyeon was ready to retaliate, immediately pouncing on his boyfriend. The kids cheered Junmyeon on as he prodded at Kris’ sides.

While giggling at his brother, the collar of his shirt was pulled. Before Seokjin could even react and let alone register what was happening, popcorn was dumped down his own shirt. With a surprised gasp, he glared at Namjoon was giggling childishly, hiding his face in his hands.

“Oops,” he laughed.

“Oops? I’ll show you oops.” Seokjin didn’t even bother to shake the popcorn from his shirt, he launched himself off of the couch and chased after Namjoon who sprinted down the hallway.

The kids’ laughed, alternating their gazes between Namjoon and Seokjin who were running around the house- Namjoon even going so far to even jump over a few pieces of furniture to not get caught by his boyfriend- and Junmyeon and Kris, the latter thrashing about on the couch trying to get away from Junmyeon’s tickling fingers in anyway possible. Kris was making the most noise, screaming and yelling for Junmyeon to stop.

“Just apologize, Baba!” Luhan snickered. “Appa will stop if you say sorry.”

“Junnie! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Kris yelled in between gasps of breaths. When Junmyeon’s fingers came to a stop, Kris stayed laying there on the couch, wiping at his eyes with the back of his hands.

“You made Baba cry, Appa,” Minseok gasped, loudly chewing on some gummy candy.

“He’ll be okay,” Junmyeon reassured. He placed a single kiss on his exhausted boyfriend’s forehead and smiled at the four kids staring up at him, still shocked that he made Kris cry from tickles.

The kids always commented on how mean Kris looked when he wasn’t smiling. Minseok and Luhan avoided asking Kris things sometimes because they never knew if their Baba was just neutral or if he was angry. Kris always did look really gruesome. Junmyeon always found it funny when Kris would whine about how he felt like his two sons didn’t like him and were afraid of him.

Suddenly there was a loud thump of something hitting the wall and an unfamiliar high pitched scream.

“Did Appa kill Daddy just now?” Yoongi questioned indifferently, looking to Hoseok who only hunched his shoulders.

“I don’t know. Let’s go see.” Hoseok led the way towards the kitchen with his brother, cousins, and Uncle Junmyeon behind him. Kris stayed lying on the couch, probably rethinking life or something. Hoseok didn’t know.

Namjoon and Seokjin were in the kitchen, Namjoon curled up in a corner while Seokjin punched and kicked at him playfully. “Mercy, Jinnie! Mercy! Our kids are worried!” Namjoon tried to reason.

“No we aren’t,” Yoongi said. If he could, Namjoon would probably go over there and give the boy the biggest kiss on the cheek he could muster. Only because he knew just how much Yoongi hated being kissed, especially in front of company.

“Say sorry,” Jin demanded.

“I’m so sorry. I’ll rub your feet tonight,” Namjoon rushed. With the mentioning of a foot rub, Seokjin was satisfied and stopped his assault on his lover. Namjoon stayed in the corner for a moment to recollect his thoughts.

“Wow,” Minseok said. “My Appa killed Baba and Uncle Jinnie just killed Uncle Joonie.”

“I know right. Uncle Myeon and Appa are badasses,” Hoseok said, taking a sip from his juice carton.

“I didn’t kill your Baba,” Junmyeon chuckled, maneuvering past the cluster of kids to get to the refrigerator.

“Yeah, they’re okay,” Seokjin followed. “And that’s a bad word, Hobi. No more saying it, okay.”

“Yes, Appa.”

When Namjoon finally regained enough of his energy, he picked himself up off of the floor. “Thanks for letting Appa kill me,” Namjoon said sarcastically causing Jin to scoff.

“You’re the one that messed with Uncle Jinnie, why do we have to help?” Minseok questioned.

“But I-”

Seokjin didn’t catch the rest of Namjoon’s argument with with the four kids as he heard his phone start ringing from the living room. Leaving the 4 kids… No, make that 5 kids because Namjoon was also a child. Leaving the five kids in the kitchen to argue about who should’ve helped, Seokjin and Junmyeon went into the living room.

Seokjin quickly located his phone between the couch cushions and hurried to answer it, seeing that it was Jeonghan calling. He chuckled lightly as Junmyeon pat Kris’ face twice, who was, in fact, still laying on the couch.

“You’re such a drama king. The kids think I killed you, you know,” Junmyeon laughed, sitting on Kris’ long, outstretched legs.

“Good. Maybe they’ll be scared of you now and then they’ll like me more,” Kris replied bitterly.

“The kids love you.”

“Yeah, right.”

“They’ll really love you if you go pick up Hoseok’s cake from down the street,” Junmyeon hummed, leaning over to kiss Kris’ nose. “I bet they’ll even give you kisses.”

Kris was already pushing Junmyeon off of his legs so he could get up, fishing the car keys out of his pocket. “Come on. We gotta hurry. I really want those kisses.”

Seokjin rolled his eyes at the conversation, throwing Kris a quick thank you for going to get the cake, and swiped the green button to the right to answer the call. “Hello.”

“Hey, Jin!” Jeonghan quipped. “I missed you today. I know it was your son’s birthday, but you owe me. The head chef made me want to gut him with that butcher knife. You know your favorite knife?”

“He’s the reason it’s my favorite knife. Every night I like to dream about butchering him into small pieces with that knife,” Seokjin sighed dreamily. What a great day that would be.

“Well fortunately now I’m on my way home. I just called to wish your son a happy birthday and hear my friend’s voice.” Seokjin was gonna respond with something sweet to lighten Jeonghan’s mood, but suddenly there was a loud horn resounded over the phone. Seokjin sighed , already knowing what was comic next.

“Hold on right quick. This piece of crap can’t drive! USE A BLINKER NEXT TIME, YOU LITTLE !” Jeonghan yelled, his voice cracking a bit. Seokjin pulled the phone away from his ear to save his ear drum the excessive strain but was only met with the persistent yelling of Namjoon and the four kids. All of them fighting to be heard over the other, resulting in all of them screaming at the top of their lungs.

“I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME!” Namjoon shrieked.

“I do, Daddy!” Hoseok yelled back.

“Yeah, Uncle Joon! But what were we supposed to do? We can’t fight Uncle Jinnie!” Minseok hollored.

“We would’ve died too!” Luhan screamed.

“WHY ARE WE YELLING?” Yoongi cried. Seokjin only groaned, knowing that he would be dealing with three sore throats tonight. Normally, Jin would’ve went in there and lectured all of them about yelling and the strain it has on their voice, but he promised Namjoon that he’d let the kids have fun today. And it sounded like they were having fun so Jin resisted the urge to intervene.

“Sorry bout that,” Jeonghan said. “I’m gonna go before you have to witness me murder someone over the phone.”

“Okay. Get home safe and without committing any heinous crime, please.”

“No promises,” Jeonghan chuckled. “Oh! And tell your girlfriend I said hello too.”

Seokjin cringed. He hated lying to Jeonghan; he hated lying in general. But when Jeonghan had asked who “Joonie Bug” was one day while they both were on break, the first thing that popped into Jin's mind was ‘girlfriend.’ So that’s what he said. Now everytime Jeonghan begged Seokjin to speak to this ‘girlfriend’ of his or asked to go on a double date with Jeonghan and his lover, Seokjin always had to think of some stupid excuse to get out of it.

“Sure thing,” Jin laughed before hanging up the phone.

Throwing the phone back onto the couch, Hoseok came running into the living room. “Appa, they’re beating up daddy.” Hoseok was pulling Seokjin to the kitchen with him before he could even respond. There, Namjoon was, indeed, being trampled on by Yoongi, Luhan, and Minseok. Luhan pulled at his hair while Yoongi threw soft punches at Namjoon’s stomach. Minseok was just squishing Namjoon’s cheeks in his hands and giggling, which didn’t really count as fighting but for soft Minseok, it probably felt like he was kicking Namjoon’s .

“Boys!” Seokjin yelled. They all stopped, the kitchen falling completely silent. “Leave my husband alone.”

“Unless you get no cake,” Junmyeon growled playfully as he set the boxed cake onto the dining room table. It was a pretty big cake but Kris made no effort to help carry it. Junmyeon would get him later. The kids scrambled off of Namjoon to follow Junmyeon, apologizing profusely for beating up Namjoon.

“But I want everybody to have some of my cake.” Hoseok's pout quickly became a gasp when he climbed up on the chair and saw the cake. “Look my name is on it.” Jin rolled his eyes at Hoseok small attention span.

“Everyone can have some cake. But after we sing happy birthday to our little Hoseok,” Kris said, swooping Hoseok off of the chair and onto his neck. Hobi looked truly astounded by how high he was off of the ground. He reached up to touch the ceiling before cheering to his dad's who he was now taller than.

Seokjin and Namjoon smiled.

Wanting to be held too, Luhan pulled at Junmyeon’s jeans with a pout. No one could resist those deer like eyes so, of course, Junmyeon hauled the boy up on his hip without any protest. Minseok ran over to his Uncle Namjoon, stretching out his arms, signalling that he too wanted to be picked up and loved on. Namjoon quickly obliged, cuddling his nephew’s face in his neck. Yoongi wasn't so obvious.

Yoongi made his way to stand next to Seokjin. Without looking up at him, Yoongi pulled at Seokjin’s pointer finger. Seokjin didn’t need Yoongi to tell him what he wanted because Jin already knew. He could feel it in a way.

In one gently motion, Seokjin swept his eldest son off of his feet and up into his arms. Yoongi didn’t giggle and laugh like all of the other kids did when they were picked up, he just silently clung to Seokjin, wrapping his tiny arms tightly around Jin’s neck.

Yoongi was so small.

Seokjin held him closer, running his long fingers through the boy’s hair.

While Junmyeon single handedly lit the candles on the cake, they all crowded around the dining table with the circular cake with Hoseok’s name written perfectly on top.

“We all start singing on three okay,” Kris said. Hoseok head on tighter to Kris’ head so he wouldn’t fall from excitement. “One, two, three…”

 

 

It was safe to say that Kris did indeed get kisses that night.