Five years later

Missed Opportunity

“Seulgi! Get up before you’re late for work.”

Seulgi rolled over her bed and grabbed her phone to check the time. ‘’ The girl quickly jumped out of bed, brushed her teeth and got changed. She rushed out and grabbed a protein bar before putting her shoes on.

“You know if you woke up earlier, you wouldn’t have to skip breakfast every day.” Seulgi sighed as she glanced at the food Irene had cooked. Her stomach growled, but she was running late and there was a new client coming in today.

“Tomorrow!” Seulgi grinned before waving bye and exiting the apartment building. This happened almost every single morning. Seulgi would go to sleep ‘early’ in hopes of waking up earlier so she wouldn’t have to rush, but every day without fail she was running late. She shook her head as she got into her car and drove off.

Seulgi checked the time ‘okay, fifteen more minutes. I’ll make it.’ Unfortunately the girl spoke too soon. She turned a corner only to hit traffic. ‘Ah crap’

‘C’mon!’ Seulgi banged her head against the wheel. ‘My grandma walks faster than this and she has a cane.’ Seulgi screamed internally before looking to her right. She paused as her eyes fell on a familiar café.

Memories began flowing back as Seulgi remembered the days she used to spend with Seungwan. She thought back to the day Seungwan had left and how she didn’t have the courage to send her off. She also remembered the text message the last girl sent to her. Seulgi considered deleting it. The two hadn’t spoken since, yet Seulgi would find herself reading the text over a thousand times when she missed the other.

“Ah…ok. I hope you feel better. I love you Seul.”

Seulgi considered texting back, but every time she wrote something, she could never press send. She wondered how the girl was doing. Has she been taking care of herself? Was she happy? Had she met someone else? Seulgi sighed. Since graduation, she moved out of her parents house and got an apartment with Irene. The older girl started her own skincare line. Seulgi had helped her take advertisement photos and after filming a CF, the world was captivated by Irene’s beauty and everyone started buying her products. Sooyoung went to vet school and also started a puppy shelter. The youngest of the bunch, Yeri, became a music producer. She and Seungwan used to always write songs together and was definitely the most heartbroken when Seungwan left.

Seulgi’s thoughts were interrupted when she heard a honk from behind her.

--

Seulgi finally arrived at work.

“Sorry, there was so much traffic on the way.”

Her superior waved her hand, “It’s fine, your client just arrived. She’s in the other room.”

Seulgi nodded as she proceeded to drop off her bags and jacket. She went to the closet to find her camera and quickly cleaned the lense. Today’s client was a singer named Sunmi who was here for a photoshoot for her new album. Yeri asked the girl to get the singer’s autograph. She was a huge fan and wanted to produce music for her. Seulgi said she would try, but not to get her hopes up.

Seulgi got all her things ready before entering the room. She greeted the artist before proceeding to take photos. The session lasted a little bit over two hours. Sunmi was a natural with her facial expressions. Seulgi was easily able to get all the photos she needed. After the two finished she was packing up her equipment when Sunmi approached her.

“Hey Seulgi. Thanks for everything today!”

“No problem. It’s my job.”

“I was definitely more comfortable with you than some other photographers I’ve worked with in the past.”

“Oh I’m sorry about that. Must be hard when you’re a celebrity.” Seulgi watched as Sunmi’s eyes fell a little.

“Yeah, but it’s okay. I work with a lot of great people, like you. So it makes up for it. Well I should get going, I have another schedule.”

Sunmi waved bye and turned around when Seulgi remembered she had to get her signature.

“Hey wait!”

Sunmi turned around with a questioning look.

“Sorry, you must get this all the time. I have a friend who’s a music producer that’s a huge fan of yours and always wanted to work with you. She said she’d kill me if I didn’t get an autograph for her.”

Sunmi smiled, “Yeah definitely, what’s her name?”

The singer rummaged through her bag to find a sheet of paper and signed it before handing it over to Seulgi. She thanked the singer and was about to walk away when she was stopped.

“Hey, I actually have a small gathering happening this weekend. We always celebrate before we start working because it’ll be awhile before we can have fun again. It’s just going to be me, my dancers, managers, music producers, etc. Do you think, you would want to stop by? You could bring Yeri and any other friends you want to. Maybe we could work something out.” Seulgi was surprised by the invitation, but she quickly agreed.

Sunmi beamed “Great, here’s the address and my phone number if you get lost.” The singer bowed before leaving the building.

Yeri was going to faint when she tells her. She pulled out her phone to text her friends. She continued editing photos for the rest of the day and looked forward to the weekend.

--

Seulgi groaned as Sooyoung sat her down and began applying foundation.

“Unnie, you really got to put on makeup, or at least moisturize your skin. You do realize you live with someone with her own skincare line right. I forget you’re a girl sometimes.”

Irene looked at the younger girl and nodded.

Yeri chimed in, “Yeah unnie. No wonder you haven’t had a date in years.”

Seulgi picked up a pillow and threw it at Yeri, “Yah, shut up or else I’m not going to bring you.”

Yeri looked up with fearful eyes and nodded.

Seulgi squirmed as Sooyoung moved onto applying blush, but she had to admit that Yeri was right. She tried going on a few dates here and there. Her and Jimin lasted the longest. They had been dating nearly a year, but every time the boy kissed her, all she could think about were a pair of lips that belonged to someone else.

“Done!”

Seulgi looked at the mirror, ‘Alright, she actually looked decent, but she wasn't going to give Sooyoung the satisfaction.’

“Now, to find you an outfit.”

--

The girls finally arrived at the address Sunmi gave her and walked in. Seulgi scanned the crowd and made eye contact with the singer who quickly walked over.

“Hey! Glad you guys could make it, I’m Sunmi.”

Seulgi introduced the girls and exchanged pleasantries.

“Well I have to go talk to some people, but enjoy the party. It’s an open bar and you can order any food you want.” Sunmi smiled before walking away.

“Great, let’s hit the bar first.” Sooyoung yelled.

Yeri quickly ran after her and pulled Irene along. Seulgi shook her head and began following her friends. She had almost reached the bar when she heard someone calling her name.

“Seulgi?”

Seulgi froze. ‘No way. It couldn’t be.’

She turned around to see Seungwan standing with a drink in her hand. The girl was wearing a loose white blouse, tight leather jeans and heels. Gone were the blonde bangs and large glasses. Instead the girl donned grey circle lenses and dark brown hair. She was slimmer and her cheekbones were more defined. Seulgi felt like her heart was about to explode. She felt go dry and was paralyzed as she watched the smaller girl approaching her.

Everything felt like it was happening in slow motion and soon Seungwan was standing in front of her with only a few inches between them. “What’re you doing here?”

Seulgi couldn’t reply. She couldn’t stop staring at the girl in front of her. 'Was this a dream?'

The other girl opened to say something else, but was interrupted when Sunmi approached the two.

“Hey! I see that you two have already met. Seulgi, this is Wendy. She’s the music producer for my new album. I met her during one of my trips to the States and it took a lot of convincing to get her to come to Korea. Also Wendy, Chanyeol was looking for you.”

Seulgi looked first at Sunmi before looking back at Seungwa – no – Wendy. ‘Who’s Chanyeol?’

Wendy nodded and turned to leave with Sunmi, but not before turning back to Seulgi and saying, “Meet me at our usual place tomorrow morning at 9.” Before Seulgi could reply, the shorter girl had already walked away. Seulgi couldn’t breathe. She had to leave. She walked out and called a cab. During the ride back, she texted the girls that she wasn’t feeling well and had to leave early.

Seulgi looked at the text messages.

Sooyoung: Did you know Seungwan unnie is here?

Yeri: Yeah, she’s here with a boy. I just saw them kiss.

Sooyoung: How come she didn’t tell us she was coming back?

Yeri: I can’t believe she didn’t tell me!

Irene: Seulgi-yah. Feel better! Take a nice shower and sleep. I’ll see you later at home.

Seulgi looked out the window of the cab. She never imagined that she would meet the girl again, but here she was. ‘Now what?’