The kiss

Missed Opportunity

“Seulgi! Over here.”

Seulgi just walked into her usual café and ordered her drink when she heard a familiar voice calling her name. She turned to see Seungwan sitting in a corner with her laptop and headphones. Seulgi smiled as she walked over after getting her drink.

“Hey Wannie. What’re you up to today?” Seulgi asked curiously as she took out her sketchpad.

“Just editing some music before class.”

Seulgi mouthed ‘ah’ as she took out her pencils and began sketching. The two girls did this regularly. They would meet up before their afternoon classes and complete work.

Fifteen minutes had gone by before Seungwan spoke up, “So there’s this cabin in the woods and I know how you said you always wanted to go camping. I was wondering if you and the others would want to go this weekend. I wanted to do something before we all graduated and there aren’t any exams coming up next week.

Seulgi looked up and pondered for a moment. Camping with Irene and Seungwan would be fine, but she was worried about the other two. She could easily see Yeri and Sooyoung trying to start a fire to roast marshmallows and end up burning the everything down. Then again, Seulgi did want to go camping so she agreed. 

‘What could happen in one night?’

--

The group had arrived at the cabin in the morning and had gone for a long hike. Afterwards, they stopped by a convenience store to stock up on soju and ramen. The eldest decided to call it a night and the youngest pair decided to go late night fishing. That left Seulgi with Seungwan sitting outside the cabin in front of a small fire.

Maybe it was the alcohol in her system or the cool breeze that ran through the cabin, but Seungwan was being extremely touchy with her tonight. The smaller girl was leaning in too close for comfort as she laughed. Soon she was laying her head on Seulgi’s shoulder and burying her nose into her neck. Seulgi tried to ignore the other girl’s hand resting on her knee as they talked about their future plans. Seungwan wasn’t sure if she was staying in Korea after college or returning to Canada. She felt the petite girl sigh and it sent shivers down her spine.

Seulgi is talking about starting her new job when Seungwan’s face gets closer to hers. She stops when the girl is only a few centimeters away. She doesn’t register it at first when a pair of lips reach her own. It ends as soon as it starts and Seulgi wonders if it happened at all. Before she could say anything, the latter got up and ran into the cabin. Seulgi doesn’t move until Sooyoung and Yeri return. Seulgi looks over to Wendy who is hidden under her blanket and sighs before turning off the light. As Seulgi lays down next to Irene, her minds drifts to Seungwan and their kiss.

--

The following morning, Seungwan is talking to her as if nothing had happened and Seulgi goes along with it. The group pack their things and leave.

After returning to school, the two had gotten back into their regular routine. They still met every morning before classes and the kiss was long forgotten. That is, until it happens again at a party the following week. While she initially refused to go, she found herself several hours later downing another beer as Seungwan’s arms were wrapped around her waist. The two were swaying their hips and singing along to a song when she feels the smaller girl whisper into her ear.

“What? I can’t hear you.”

Seungwan leans in again, “I’m really glad you came.”

Seulgi smiled as the two dance some more. A few minutes later Seungwan grabs Seulgi and says she needs to use the bathroom and wanted Seulgi to accompany her.  The door closes behind them and before she knows it, Seungwan had her pushed up against a wall and the two are kissing again. Seungwan roams her hands around Seulgi’s body and she feels as if her skin is on fire. The two were interrupted when someone knocks. Seulgi groaned as Seungwan pulled away to open the door. The intruder stared at the two in disgust as Seungwan exited and pulled Seulgi with her.

The two went back to the dance floor to find a very drunk Sooyoung and they decided it was time to go home. Seulgi fell asleep that night confused, wondering if this would be something more or a one time thing. She hoped it was the former. 

--

“I decided I’m going back to Canada after graduation.”

Seulgi couldn’t believe what she was hearing. It had been a few weeks since their ‘makeout’ session. Since then, the pair hadn’t engaged in anything more.

“I got offered a job as a music producer and I’ve been missing home.”

Seulgi wanted to tell the girl to stay. She wanted to hug the girl and tell her how much she meant to her and that she couldn’t imagine not having her by her side but instead Seulgi just nodded.

--

Graduation had come and gone. Seulgi shed tears with her friends and hugged everyone goodbye. She was talking to her parents when her eyes landed on a shorter girl. She excused herself as she approached her. They made eye contact and the other spoke up first, “Hey”

“Hey”

The duo stood in silence for a few seconds before the smaller of the two spoke up again, “My plane leaves tomorrow.”

Seulgi could only mouth ‘oh’. She thought she would have more time. 

“I was hoping you could come and send me off?”

Seulgi hesitated before agreeing.

--

When morning came, Seulgi couldn’t bring herself to get out of bed. She picked up her phone and texted Seungwan ‘sorry, I’m not feeling well. Have a safe trip’ and tossed it to the side. She ignored the beep indicating a text from her phone. She didn’t want to see what Seungwan wrote. She was afraid that she wouldn’t be able to let her go when she saw it. Instead, she fell back asleep as tears ran down her face. She later woke up feeling empty knowing that the Canadian was back home and Seulgi had missed her chance to tell the girl how she truly felt.