Chapter sixteen : Rebirth

What the war did

Jungkook

 

*

 

Finally, after two months, the governement changed, and for the first time, we were aloud outside without risks. New politcs had started, and foreign countries were here to protect us.

I held Eunae’s hand as we walked out. We were given an appartment that we shared with Namjoon and Jin as roomates, we couldn’t hope for better since most buildings were still not rebuild.

And because of what Eunae and her sister had done for The force, they felt like they owed us something. So we were to receive money every month for a year, by that time we would be able to have jobs and live on our own.

Jimin was still helping with the soldiers, his communication skills were very useful, so in a way, he had a job. And he had a place with Taehyung,far from ours. No one blamed him, not even Eunae. They had spend two months trying to be friends again,but it was just too hard for him. So I convinced Eunae to drop it, he would come back, some day, when he was ready.

 

"I love this colour, what do you think ? She asked, it’s light, it’s nice, not white like in the basement !

  • I love it, I smiled and watched her try out the colour on the wall, hey.

  • What ?

  • You wanna go to the beach ?

  • But... We haven’t even really moved in yet.

  • So ? Let’s go, the weather is getting warmer, we can leave for only a day or two. The painting can wait.

  • Ok... I guess we can go to the beach..."

 

So we took a car and I drove to the beach, following the GPS advices. Most regions were still destroyed by the war, but it didn’t bothered us, we couldn’t escape reality.

I parked near the hotel, it was almost night, and we were among the only tourists. So we got to choose a huge room that should have been out of our price.

 

"It’s huge ! And there is a bath ! Eunae yelled. Come and look at this !

  • I am, I laughed and put the suitcases down. Should we take a bath ? You smell bad."

 

She hit me but still let the water fill the bath, she added bubbles and salts, and we both inhaled the vapor with a smile.

I sat on the bath border, looking at her getting undressed.

 

"You are so beautiful, I whispered.

  • Shut up. I still have marks from the knife, I’m too skinny..

  • Shut up, I’m telling you, you look beautiful, I got up and kissed her neck, the marks will disappear, and if you want to gain weight trust me, I can help you."

 

She giggled a little when I bite her neck’s skin and went inside the bath.

 

"Come on, get for me young man."

 

I laughed and did a little dance while taking of my shirt, pants, and underwear. I went inside the bath and put my legs around hers.

 

"Wow, it’s hot.

  • It’s nice, she said.

  • So, happy we went away ?

  • Very ! Thank you !

  • Thank you !"

 

I kissed her gently, but just that kiss was enough to arrouse me, and I grabbed her hand under the warm water, my other hand caressing her leg.

 

"Let’s step it up a little..."

 

 

Jimin

 

I sat down outside the lab, a bunch of doctors were passing by when Dr Lee noticed me.

 

"Hey, how is it going with Kihong ?

  • Well they say he might have to meet over people from now on, I smiled, I’m sad I don’t get to work with him again but I’m glad he is better. You know they found his family ?

  • That’s great ! Congratulations ! Most of his progress were thanks to you. Well and science but you did all the experiment while we were just doing the theories !

  • I’m glad I was useful. I’m going to miss that feeling.

  • Well, Doctor Lee smiled, if you feel like it, we have some other cases that might need your attention, not soldiers this time, you still have Kikwang and we don’t want you to get too much inside their brains, that might get to you and... anyway, she smiled again, we found some labs where they held people captives.

  • Really ?

  • Yes, and it’s tricky, those people, were kind of still in the process of brainwashing, so they are very confused and traumatised, it could help if they had someone to talk to. I don’t have the details, but I could recommend you as my previous assistant, if you’re interested.

  • Of course ! I’d love to help out.

  • Great ! I’ll put your name on the list and they will call you !"

 

And they did call.

I had an appointment at a secret lab that was based underground in a secret location protected by the police. It had nothing to do with the small lab we had underground at the shelter, this place was gigantic. There were hundreds of rooms, place of experimentation, places for surgery, for torture, for containment. I went there with a Doctor, the Doctor Hyul.

 

"So, Jimin, I heard you’ve done some benevolant work with the soldiers of the force.

  • I did.

  • I saw both of them, they are making fast progress, and Doctor Lee told me you had something to do with it.

  • I hope so,but I’m not a scientist.

  • What did you do before the war?

  • I was a singer.

  • So communicating emotions was your work in a way ! Good, he smiled, this place is like no other, I have been studying the fiels for weeks, they have done multiple kinds of testing. Most of the tests were actually psychological, once they had made the drugs for the soldiers, they mostly focused on how to tamed their spirit and make them obedient and submissive.

  • I see.

  • They used physical and emotionnal torture, on many people. But you, you’re going to work with their latests cases, they aren’t the most traumatised but they still need help and sadly, we don’t have enough therapists to take care of them.

  • Ok, so they haven’t been there for long ?

  • No, not very long. Let’s see..."

 

He opened the door to a room that appeared to be the camera room, there was a huge screen on the wall and he started to look for something on one of the computers.

 

"These people according to the fiels were found during accidents, or at hospitals, every case is different really, I’ll give you a copy of the ones you’ll be in charge of.

  • Thanks...I said looking at the screen."

 

On the screen slowly the videos of the camera that were all over the building appeared, every room, every lab, had a camera. In each room there were people, alone, or with others, some were in the dark, some in the light, some looked more dead than alive... I felt a bit sick, but I had to hold on, these people needed me.

 

"So, I was saying, the doctor said, these people have been led to think they were dead.

  • What ?

  • They have been completely isolated from sound, light, everything, they were kept in dark rooms, usually waking up after a big trauma, they had not interactions with any living being. They were fed through perfusions while kept asleep with the help of a gaz. When the would woke up they wouldn’t know something had happened to them and think they were still dead.

  • Why would they make them think they were dead ?

  • Apparently one of the scientist, when they were convinced they were dead, would appear to them as a.. god like figure. A voice at first, and then sometimes a hologram. He would be their only contact with anything really. This kind of situation led them to think of him as an all might creature. And they would obey his comands.

  • Like the soldiers obeyed to their superiors..

  • Yes. It’s a less violent way to achieve this... submission, but still traumatic. Especially, with these ones."

 

The screen changed and focused on a few cameras angles only.

 

"These people haven’t met the "god" yet, or just a little,enough to shut them down when we try to persuade them they’re alive. You see... They think they’re dead.

  • Eunmi....

  • Excuse me ?"

 

I couldn’t believe it, could this be true ?

 

"Could you please, I couldn’t feel my throat, rem, I caughed, zoom in this one ?"

 

He agreed and zoomed on the girl’s face. She had bangs, and she was wearing a white average pajama, but I couldn’t have mistaken her for anyone in the world. It was her.

 

"This is impossible...

  • Do you know this person ?

  • I... I thought she died during the last bombings. The hospital collapsed and...

  • Oh, the doctor went through his fiel, yes the found her in the bunker.

  • I thought all the people from the bunker had died...

  • Most of them did, and they took the survivors here, making them believe they had all died that day.

  • She was here... all this time... I...I need to sit down."

 

He helped me sit and gave me a glass of water, I threw it at my own face and shaked my head.

 

"Doctor, I’m not crazy right ? Do you have the girl’s name ? Anything she might have said ?

  • Yes, it’s written she was a nurse, Yoon Eunmi.

  • That’s her name doctor... She’s alive ! Eunmi’s alive !"

 

I couldn’t believe it, I touched the screen with my fingers as tears slowly made their way into my eyes and onto my cheeks, could this be real ? Could she be real ? I started shaking and I put a hand on my mouth so I would stay silent.

The doctor let me watch the video a few minutes before coughing.

 

"Can I see her ?

  • Well... He bite his lower lip, she’s still very unstable, I’m afraid seeing someone she knew would be too much of a shock right now.

  • Oh... Yeah... I guess so.

  • Why don’t you meet your patients today ? I have two other people for you, someone will do this work with her and when she is ready, I’ll ask him to switch with you. Does she has any living relatives ?

  • She does...

  • You should warn them about the situation, tell them she is a bit sick right now, but soon, we hope, she’ll be fine. She has only been here for a little while.

  • A little while ? She disappeared like three months ago.

  • Oh, they kept her in a cauma like sleep for the time needed for her to heal from her wounds. So really she has only been here for a month and a half, and we’ve been working with her for half a month now, soon enough she’ll need her family.

  • Sure."