Chapter one : A time for love

What the war did

Eunae

 

It was easy to get in, harder to get out, everytime I went to that place, it was the same, I would be a bit scared at first, but then, Jungkook would take my hand, and the fear would go away, and time would fly, but then day would come back, and we had to leave.

I sat on the roof, it was near 4 am now, everybody was asleep, Jimin and Eunmi were both sleeping on the roof where I could see them, holding hands, on the single matress, cuddling to avoid the cold. I smiled, even if Eunmi wasn’t sure about what was happening between them, I knew it was the beginning of something great.

 

"You’re not asleep ?"

 

Jungkook had just got to the roof, I smiled and shaked my head.

 

"No, why aren’t you asleep either ?

 I don’t want to waste the time i get to be here sleeping, I’m happy I’ve got company for once.

  • You come here often ?

  • I can see the stars, the city from here, it feels more.. like I’m alive. Not like when I’m in that basement.

  • Hiding must be tough.

  • No, it’s being out in the front that’s tough. Thanks for... You know, saving our asses.

  • I wish we could do more than hide a few groups of man, they’re not really sending them to war you know that right ? More than half of the recruit dies before seeing the fields, they say they die during training but... I know it’s something else.

  • I guess it’s some tests they do on them, the ones that come back from the war, you said they were different right ?

  • Yes, I looked at him sadly, they were different, our... family members, they came back,changed. Sometimes they wouldn’t sleep for days, without getting tired or sick, they would only get angry, snap easily, hit something, break something, hit someone, break someone..."

 

I felt a shiver down my spine.

 

"We got out in time.

  • Eunmi told us you escaped from your home. She said you saved her.

  • That’s how she sees it.

  • I think you’re very brave.

  • You don’t know me.

  • I know enough, and, I see you, getting out every day, and getting in every day, bringing us food, clean clothes, usb with new movies, you’re keeping us alive. In our bodies and minds...

  • Joining the force was... hard, but it’s worth it when people like you, feel grateful, and show us support..."

 

I had to gasp a bit of air, it was hard not to cry sometimes, after thinking about my family. He took my hand in his, and gently kissed it, when our eyes met, we both grabbed each other for a kiss, our lips encoutering for the first time, in this cold weather.

 

I remember that day very well, my first kiss with Jungkook, my first time being sad to leave this place. I finally understood why Eunmi’s face was so down everytime she would come back from here.

 

Eunmi and I are volunteers at "The force", a secret society of man and women, tho mostly of women now, who even before war were suspecting the governement to be doing something much worse than planning a war in secret. Their latest theory is that they try to modify men to make them into half weapons, they probably also break them through session of brainwashing, making sure they would dedicate themselves to the fight and never get scared or never feel doubts about a strategy, even if it meant for them to die for nothing.

The force started hiding people, men mostly to avoid loosing half our population into scientist experimentation, but also women, who had ran from the governement for exemple.

Eunmi and I joined after they found us running away from our home. We told them what happened, how what was left of our father had attacked us, how our uncle would threaten to break our arms any time we said something wrong, how they tried to break in our room and searched it after we opened the door, like if they were looking for evidence that we were the enemy. How they pushed our mom from the stairs...

We were younger at that time, but war had made thousands of orphans, we were just lucky enough to be found by the Force and not someone else.

They fed us, schooled us, and then asked us to join the force. Since then we’ve been delivering food and supplies to different places where they hid people. The basement was one of them.

Of course, we had to build a new identity outside of the force, and we both started jobs as nurses, because they were needed, and had access to medical supply which could be useful.

Even if I was a bit scared of blood and needles, I could do a lot of things that didn’t implied needles or stitches.

 

Eunmi

 

I sat down on the bench and sighed for a long time, my legs were hurting from all the walking around and running around, playing hide and seek with the police, working late just to go straight to the basement or some other place. And tonight there was even a meeting with the force... Eunae was strong enough not to show how tired she was, but I could still guess she was as tired as me.

I wish I could have slept all day long, just once, but my comfortable life was far behind.

I took out the nurse uniform and massaged my head, it was hurting, everything in my body seemed to be broken today.

I hadn’t felt this tired since dad came home, at that time I was too scared to sleep, what if him or our uncle tried to kill us ? What if a bomb fell near our house ?

Now, I was too tired to be scared, or to feel anything at all.

I put on my usual clothes, black jeans, black sweater, it was very rare to see people with colorful clothes lately, and if there was any colour,they were dark colours, deep blue, dark red...

Eunae suddenly appeared, she was looking upset.

 

"What is it ? I asked.

  • It’s just... Dr. K has asked me out. Again.

  • What ?

  • Yes. And I said I didn’t felt like it but... What if he knows something ? What if..

  • Hey.... No"

 

I put my hands on her shoulders and made her sit down.

 

"Don’t you dare think of taking that kind of risks. D’you hear me ?

  • But it could be useful.

  • It’s not worth it, ok ? Keep pushing him away, don’t do anything stupid got me ?

  • Yeah..."

 

 

Maybe Eunae was right, maybe Dr K did knew something, but all the knowledge of the world wasn’t worth loosing my sister.

I let her change clothes and we went to the meeting together, we had to hide, be careful, wait for some time, but finally we got in a room full of people like us.

 

"Girls !"

 

An older women appeared and we both smiled to her.

 

"Hi Mrs.Kim. How are you ?

  • I’m fine, but what about you ? Still making deliveries ?

  • Yes, I answered with a tiny smile, what about you ?

  • Oh, you know, same old same old,I ask questions, I listen and watch carefully everything that happens but.. Nothing much, anyway... Can I ask... Did you... Have you seen Taehyung lately ?"

 

Her eyes suddenly got wet from emotion, of course, she had been separeted from her son for months now, she wasn’t aloud to see him or get in touch with him in any way, it was too dangerous for both of them, and for the secret of the force.

 

"We have, Eunae said, he is fine, don’t you worry.

  • Does he eat well ? He isn’t sick isn’t he ?

  • He is alright, I said grabbing Eunae’s arm, trust us, and trust the force, your son is hiding not being tortured, now get yourself together before someone notices you."

 

Eunae looked shoked, but she didn’t said anything, as for Mrs. Kim, she stopped whinning and left, I knew what I said was cruel and unsensitive, but the force’s order were clear, we were to share information with no one but our boss, and even when it was family, we had to be careful, what if someone betrayed that trust ?

 

"You could have just reminded her of the rules, you didn’t had to be so rude, Eunae said still holding my arm as we walked around looking for some food.

  • I know, i’m just so tired... I snapped ok ? It won’t happen again.

  • It better, I don’t want to be your next victim, you’re too scary !"

 

I laughed a bit, but I didn’t really felt joy, how could I ? I had just said a worried mother to off when she was only worried about her son, who I could see and talk too almost every day if I wanted to.

Eunae let go of my arm to go greet someone, and I felt much more alone than before, I felt lost. I had to eat something fast before I collapsed.

 

"Welcome, everybody, and thank you for coming."

 

Well, food would have to wait...

 

"Today’s meeting is about information and trust..."

 

Eunae

 

Once the meeting ended, I took my notes and some fruits to give to the guys and waited for Eunmi outside, we only had a few minutes to get there before it was too late. The guys wouldn’t open even to us after a certain time, those were the rules.

Eunmi was slow, but we made it in time, and despite everyone’s warm welcome, I couldn’t take my eyes off Jungkook. He smiled gently when he caught me looking at him, and slowly made his way to me.

 

"Let’s go talk on the roof ?"

 

I noded, I couldn’t wait to be alone with him again.

 

Jimin

 

I took the fruits to the "food space" and let Jin and Yoongi start without me. Taehyung and Namjoon were both talking to Eunmi since Eunae had disappeared with Jungkook. These two were faster than me despite all I did.

 

"I’ve seen your mother today, Eunmi said to Taehyung, she was worried. But she looks alright...

  • What about my dad ?

  • You know I can’t ask for that kind of information...

  • What about the meeting ? Namjoon asked, any improvements ?

  • They, Eunmi touched her forhead frowing, they talked about a lot of things today. It’s hard to remember it all.

  • Try please, Namjoon insisted, we’re stuck here so... all the information comes from you.

  • I know, I’m sorry, Eunmi sighed, she was sweating, they just asked us to be careful, and they welcomed a guy in the decisive cercle.

  • A guy ? As in a grown up man ?

  • Yes, apparently he works for someone important, obviously they didn’t said that at the meeting...

  • Who is he ?

  • How can he help us ?"

 

Watching Eunmi trying to keep answering was too much, even though I wanted her answers too, from my point of view, Eunmi just couldn’t keep up with their questions.

 

"Guys, I said stepping in, let’s... wait a bit ok ? Let’s have some fruits and ask Eunmi later, she seems a bit off.

  • Right, Namjoon stepped back, sorry.

  • Don’t apologize, she smiled. Jimin let go of me, she pushed me away, the guy used to be a cop, but that’s a rumour, he name was... is..."

 

She stopped talking and suddenly fell on her knees, I caught her before she hit the floor.

 

"Eunmi ?! Eunmi ?!"

 

Namjoon and I got her to the couch.

 

"What’s happening ? Namjoon asked.

  • I don’t know, get her sister ! I think she has fever !"

 

I put my forhead against hers, she was burning.

Eunae got down running, she pushed me away without a glance and started taking care of her sister.

 

"Eunmi... ?"

 

Eunmi was coming back, she opened her eyes and looked at her sister.

 

"Can you hear me ?

  • Yes...

  • Are you in pain ?

  • No...I’m just ….sorry, I’m making you work even now...

  • Tsh, Eunae smiled, you’ve got fever, you need rest, guys, can someone get me a pillow and a blanket ?

  • I’ll put her in my room, I said, if that’s ok with you Taehyung.

  • Sure, Taehyung nod, she needs more rest than us.

  • Ok, Eunmi, can you walk ? Eunae asked.

  • l’ll carry her..."

 

Eunmi’s eyes finally got to me, and she smiled a bit, enough to make me smile too. I got down next to her and lift her up in my arms, she put her shivering arm around my neck, her head resting against my shoulder.

 

"Let’s go, I smiled looking at her, enjoying yourself ?

  • We’re going to your room ?

  • I know what you’re thinking .

  • It’s the fever, she whispered.

  • I’m sure it is."

 

I put her down in my bed, well, Taehyung and I slept close to each other, but still. I covered her with a blanket and lyed down next to her, looking at her eyes slowly closing.

 

"I don’t want to sleep...

  • You should rest, Eunae is safe with us, you can both stay here as long as you need.

  • I have to work... and do... you know.

  • It’s fine, just sleep.

  • I’m taking your bed.

  • I can squish with you, I got a bit closer, guessing she liked the warmth of our bodies together, are you comfortable ?

  • Yes... Can you... hold me ?

  • I will, I wrapped my arms around her and she let her head against my chest, sleep tight..."