After

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6.6k words

 

It was still dark outside when Junmyeon woke up gasping for air. Not exactly a nightmare that woke him. In fact, he wasn't fully asleep. His mind has been feeling unsettled that it's almost impossible to fall 100% unconscious. Just when he thought he is close to falling asleep, suddenly he would be reminded of the things that unfold yesterday night.

Breathing a sigh, Junmyeon takes out his phone. It's 5.17 in the morning. A new day starts in a few hours but here he is, barely getting any ounce of sleep.

Truth be told, he is actually worried and felt a little guilty for kicking Sehun and Chanyeol out from his house. He was ready to search for those two when they didn't come home at 2 in the morning. However, before he could even put his cardigan on, Chanyeol had texted him.

 

"I'm sorry, Junmyeon. I'm truly am. Sehun will be staying with me for the moment."

 

He's very relieved that Sehun would be staying with Chanyeol. Can’t say that he isn’t concerned because both of them haven't exactly been getting along well. Who knows, maybe after what happened, and with the space from Junmyeon, they might just start tolerating each other better.

Another thing that keeps him up at night is Baekhyun. God, poor Baekhyun who deserves none of it. It was his fault, to begin with. They were fighting about him and somehow Baekhyun got dragged in.

Truthfully, Junmyeon doesn't believe Sehun's words are true. He knows Chanyeol. He has seen the way Chanyeol loses himself when he talks about Baekhyun. He sees the way Chanyeol smiles at Baekhyun as if there's no other light that's brighter than his boyfriend’s smile.

But he is also curious about everything that is happening right now. He has his questions but for now, those aren’t his priority.

He needs to talk to Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are two reasons why Junmyeon is nervous. One, he will be meeting Baekhyun. Two, Chanyeol would most definitely be there as well. He hasn't heard from Chanyeol after the text. What's worrying is that he fears it will be awkward to see both Chanyeol and Baekhyun at the same time.

Is it even a good idea for the three of them to be in the same room?

However, he didn’t get to find out the answer because when he enters the bar, only Baekhyun can be seen. The pretty male still has his smile on his face as he converses with the customers. No one would have a clue that Baekhyun actually is going through a rough time.

That is until Junmyeon made his presence known to the black-haired male.

The smile on his face dropped instantly upon noticing Junmyeon that is approaching. It stings Junmyeon's heart that he has that effect on Baekhyun. This is a contrast to when Chanyeol first introduced them together. More reason for Junmyeon to worry.

"Hi" Junmyeon begins timidly. His presence is probably the last thing Baekhyun would want to see but Junmyeon can’t wait even for a day. He must talk to Baekhyun and clears everything up.

The smile that was gone appears again on Baekhyun’s face. Though, Junmyeon can't say it is half sincere as it was. "Hey, Junmyeon. I knew you would come by sooner or later."

"Really?" He murmurs, hands fidgeting on his thighs. Was Junmyeon that predictable? "I figured that I have to. You know, after everything."

Despite wishing for Chanyeol’s absence, Junmyeon finds himself looking for the taller. He is still yet to see his friend coming out from the back door nor the front door. He’s not even serving anyone. Junmyeon wonders if Chanyeol even went to work.

Apparently, Baekhyun notices this. Grabbing a glass, he places it on the counter before starting to prepare Junmyeon’s non-alcoholic order. "He's out with Amber. Our lorry broke down nearby. Since Chanyeol told me that you don’t usually drink here, so is Cherry Coketail fine with you?”

“Yeah, anything.” Junmyeon replies. Whenever he stops by, Chanyeol would be the one preparing and suggesting which drinks he should taste. He isn’t exactly the type to drink so Chanyeol would just prepare anything that contains no alcohol. Junmyeon just went with it.

When Baekhyun’s done, Junmyeon takes the drink that Baekhyun held out for him. "Thanks."

Mmm… Tastes good, he hums as he takes another sip.

While Junmyeon takes his time with his drink, he pretends like Baekhyun isn't boring holes on his forehead. No. Not in a negative way. The latter just sort of...stares at him

"I don't hate you, Junmyeon." Baekhyun says out of the blue.

Oh... Junmyeon freezes, blinking as he tensely looks at Baekhyun. The latter's face void of emotions. No smile. No frown. Just his lips are in a thin line. "I'm...sorry." Junmyeon croaks out. He knows the word barely does anything. It doesn’t fix anything. But it’s the least he can offer. "...for things to happen this way."

 

There's a long inhale of breath from Baekhyun. Junmyeon is ready for any words that Baekhyun will say to him. Hopefully not curses but then again, Baekhyun isn’t the type to do so. "I don't know why you think it's your fault. I don't even know who to blame at this messed up situation. But it's not you, Junmyeon."

"I could've prevented this."

Baekhyun lets out a snort. "I appreciated it but you really can't do anything about it." Somehow, after saying that, Baekhyun’s expression finally shows a sign of gloominess. "We’re talking about Chanyeol's feelings. Neither of us has any control over it. Not even himself."

But that's where Baekhyun is wrong. Junmyeon knows how in the eyes of Baekhyun or other people, Chanyeol might be in love with him. Although, Junmyeon too isn't 100% sure about that but he knows that Chanyeol would never hurt Baekhyun purposely. As a matter of fact, Junmyeon was there when Chanyeol went home sweating, yelling that he met an angel with the same amount of brain cell as him.

The thing that Junmyeon is definitely certain is Chanyeol's feelings for the man in front of him. How does he convey this to Baekhyun?

"How are you and Chanyeol?" Junmyeon asks this instead. He's curious about this since Chanyeol doesn't seem like he changed his shift.

As expected, the question is rather heavy for Baekhyun judging from his expression. Guilt struck his heart for that. "After I ran out, we talked at his house. It was a very emotional conversation. Both of us don't do well with these types of conversations, you know that. But Chanyeol, he wants to make it clear to me that he loves me."

"And I can vouch for that, Baekhyun. I can tell you every word he has spoken highly of you. Dreamily and even some of the ones that I wish he would keep it to himself."

Baekhyun finally lets out a real chuckle this time.

It's nice to see Baekhyun smile. The frown never suited his features. That's one of the many things that he and Chanyeol have in common. "I don't doubt his love either, Junmyeon." He says before pouring the drink for the person next to Junmyeon. "I just doubt that I'm the only one in his heart."

The way Baekhyun says it with a straight face, there's so much respect that Junmyeon has for Baekhyun. If it were Junmyeon, he would have start sniffling just at the thought. And Junmyeon hates that he was the reason that Baekhyun feels this way.

"If he knew he still loved me, he wouldn't be with you, Baekhyun." Junmyeon hasn't heard anything from Chanyeol, so Junmyeon hopes that what Baekhyun said is not the truth.

"I know. Which is why I think Sehun made him realize that."

No. That's not what Junmyeon is trying to say. "What does Chanyeol say about this?"

Baekhyun taps his fingers on the counter as he tries to recall Chanyeol’s words last night. "Well, he rambles a lot. But he did say that he had never thought about it that way. However, he also said that he is... confused."

"Confused?"

"Yeah, that's what he said." Baekhyun shrugs, leaning his chin on his palms. "That's why we agree to take a break. It's what's best for us. For him to figure out his feelings and for me to think about whether I want to stay with him."

When Junmyeon looks up from caressing the drink in his hand, Junmyeon meets with Baekhyun's sad orbs. "And to be honest, Junmyeon. I really want to."

Without him realizing, Junmyeon's eyes start to become watery. Why does he feel Baekhyun's pain so much? When Baekhyun realizes that Junmyeon gets teary-eyed, the latter tries to laugh it off, saying why Junmyeon is the one getting sad.

He doesn't know honestly.

It felt like Junmyeon just came in between two people that were meant for each other. He knows both of his friends are hurting right now. Not just him, Sehun is probably hurt by his words yesterday. Or the other days when Junmyeon just kept telling him the things that he didn’t want to hear.

Trouble really doesn't leave his side, huh? Victoria was right. Junmyeon does it so well on how to cause people trouble.

"Don't worry, Baekhyun. I've known, Chanyeol. And I'm sure I know who his heart belongs to." Like he said, Chanyeol's feelings towards Baekhyun is what Junmyeon is most definitely certain of.

Looking at how determined Junmyeon is, this has a calming effect on Baekhyun. Coming from Chanyeol’s best friend, it does ease Baekhyun a tad bit. "Sometimes I envy you, Junmyeon." Baekhyun says, taking Junmyeon by surprise.

That is something that Junmyeon never thought he would hear. Especially if that person is Baekhyun who is prettier and cooler than Junmyeon can ever be. "That's ridiculous. Why would you?"

Baekhyun's face turns serious again. There's another man who ordered something and as Baekhyun is preparing the drink, he continues. "I know you think that your life is not much. I can see how you think you deserve less than everybody. But still, Junmyeon, you have 2 person who is willing to jump in front of a bullet for you. And I'm not even exaggerating."

For a second, Chanyeol and Sehun's smiling face suddenly crosses his mind. It's true. He knows Chanyeol would. He had seen how Chanyeol launched himself onto the robber that tried to rob his house.

And for Sehun, he knows what the power of love can do. With that thought, Junmyeon feels a bittersweet taste in his mouth. It was like chocolate milk being with Sehun but when it comes down to reality, it's like coffee. Sugarless coffee but he still can't help getting addicted to it.

What am I losing my brain cells over with?

However, Baekhyun is not done yet.

It is his turn now to interrogate Junmyeon. "Tell me one thing straight," He leans forward. "Putting aside everything that you fear, forget other people, just between you and Sehun. If Sehun asked you to be with him, would you do it?"

If Junmyeon got asked this question two years ago, he would have laughed it off like it was the joke of the year. It was something that Junmyeon never thought about. He has always seen Sehun like a family. Is it even possible, he would have asked?

But here's the thing.

Sehun made it possible. He really did. He made Junmyeon believed.

Unconsciously, a smile is forming on his face.

 

"In a heartbeat, Baekhyun."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol can't remember the last time that he felt so driven down. Chanyeol wasn't used to having a constant lump in his heart that weighs like gravity is pulling it down. He hates when the first thing he sees at work is Baekhyun trying to pretend like nothing happened. He hates how Baekhyun is trying to play it cool in front of their colleagues but Chanyeol just can't do the same. He feels like the more he stays by Baekhyun's side, the more it hurts the smaller.

And God knows how Chanyeol won't forgive himself if he made Baekhyun cry again.

Same as going home. It still felt heavy and it worsens when he is going back to his home instead of Junmyeon. It felt weird to sleep on his bed again. When he was searching for his pajamas, he realizes that the comfy ones are all at Junmyeon's house.

When he's done changing into a more comfortable baggy shirt, he goes to the living room where Sehun already opens one of the beers that Chanyeol brought home. Sehun looks just as miserable as he is.

The latter occupies most of the sofa with his long legs while the TV is only on for a distraction.

"Move." Chanyeols lightly slaps Chanyeol's feet. "This isn't Junmyeon's house, I only have one sofa."

Sehun does what Chanyeol told him to as he changes from being sprawled on the sofa to a sitting position. The laptop on the table meant that Sehun was doing his work. One workaholic man, Chanyeol swears. "So, did you talk to Junmyeon?" The brunet asks.

Sehun groans as he takes another mouthful of his drink. "Nope. I don't think it's a good idea." He is one persistent person, alright but now, the younger is trying to respect Junmyeon’s space.

The conversation ends there. Chanyeol doesn’t mind it did.

One of the reasons why Chanyeol went ahead and bought them beers because he didn't think he can be in the same room with Sehun sober.

After yesterday, Chanyeol came back home from meeting Baekhyun to Sehun waiting outside of Junmyeon's house. For how long he has been there, Chanyeol doesn't know. Indeed, Chanyeol should be fuming at Sehun for what he said at Baekhyun. But he felt guilty. Chanyeol is aware that he is in the wrong too. It was both of their faults that got tangled up.

Besides, Sehun is still Junmyeon's friend. Junmyeon would have wanted for Chanyeol to help Sehun.

So here they are after a few cans, their eyes getting a little droopy. Both can hold their liquor quite well. Intoxicated, but still awake enough.

"You know," Sehun plays with the can in his hand. "Although, I said those stuff yesterday, I was only 80% sure. So Park Chanyeol, are you really in love with Junmyeon?"

To be honest, it's a question that Chanyeol too wants to know. He did 2 years ago. After he got rejected, he thought he had moved on. But what Sehun said made sense as well. He realizes he gets undoubtedly jealous when Sehun came into the picture. But he's not sure which the reason behind his jealousy was. "I don't know. These possibilities... it might be true. But it might not as well."

"But do you love Baekhyun?"

"That’s a stupid question,” Chanyeol deadpans. "Of course, I do. More than he can ever imagine." The sorrow is creeping into Chanyeol's heart again just by thinking about Baekhyun. "But I love Junmyeon too. I don't know in what way but all I can say is that I can't see myself without Junmyeon by my side. I've been taking care of him all this time, Sehun."

Sehun exhales heavily through his nose. Of course, Sehun knows Chanyeol was the one who was there when nobody wasn't. Sehun is definitely thankful for that. But what's not clicking in Chanyeol's head is that he needs to know where to draw the line. "I don't know why you're thinking that I'm stealing him away from you. It's not like he will leave everything behind if he goes back to the city."

"Did you even hear what I—"

"I heard you ing clearly, Park." Sehun cuts him off.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter