Our scars

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

10.4k words

 

More of the snow on his lawn has already melted into the ground. He's glad. Nature is getting ready for spring, which is his favorite season out of the four. Most probably because it's easier to do a lot of things on his own during the spring. It's a bonus with the flowers blooming beautifully. Pulling the hem of his cardigan, he's been feeling unsettled since yesterday. He barely even had an ounce of sleep. Somehow, his gut is telling him that Sehun will be back.

But Junmyeon hopes he doesn't. Because it'll be hard to explain about his legs. And Junmyeon doubts that Sehun will leave him alone. Not after seeing him in a wheelchair. But more than that, Junmyeon has enough pitiful eyes directed to him daily. Sehun shouldn't be an addition. Plus, none of the Wus should even know that he's living a pitiful life.

Grazing the anklet on his palm, he misses the Wu. Unlike now, he used to be so warm even in winter. Spring is about to come and yet the winter loneliness seems to not have bid its goodbye. Pulling the sleeve of his cardigan, he lets the cold wind brushes along his cheeks. His nose goes red at the mere breeze.

Can the wind take him back?

Take him back to where he used to have everything. Where he had wings to be free from anything especially heartache. With a breath, he flutters his eyes close, allowing his memories to take over his head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 a.m.

Now everyone wouldn’t think that Junmyeon is already awake. It’s a Sunday and Junmyeon wouldn't wake up until noon. Unless Kris is going somewhere and he shamelessly wants to tag along but today isn't the day.

Sprinting out from his room, he finds a slice of cake at the small kitchen table outside. Oh, Junmyeon is all grown up alright. To be excited on your birthday at the age of 17 is considered childish. But his mother makes the best caramel chocolate cake and she only does so on rare occasions. “You couldn't even wait to take a shower.” Bora walks into the kitchen with a pile of laundry in her basket. “Thank God I baked it in time before you started whining.”

“I don't whine,” Junmyeon complains as he takes one spoonful of cake. He couldn't stop the moan when the caramel melts beautifully in his mouth with a mix of chocolate. It’s already a perfect birthday! “This is wonderful!”

There's a proud smile on Bora’s lips just by looking at her son eating. Her only baby. Having Junmyeon was never her plan. Nor marrying the butler. But God has his ways of uniting two souls when Bora woke up one day and head straight to the toilet bowl. And then a small wedding happens.

The couple received well support from the Wus which resulted in them having one room that's bigger than the others in the workers' headquarters. Coincidence enough that Junmyeon was born in the same year as Mrs. Wu’s second child.

“I wonder where Kris will take me today. The aquarium? The skating rim? Or the show!” Junmyeon giggles as he bites the spoon. Taking out his phone from his pocket, he searches any good shows to watch today.

“When will you stop pestering the young master?” Bora throws the kitchen towel to him. “They've been spoiling you too much.”

Junmyeon lets out a displeased groan before he offs his phone. “It's not my fault that I'm best friends with Kris!”

“Oh please. He’s just putting up with you.”

“Mom!” Junmyeon pouts. “Anyways, I'm going to the Wu mansion after shower. Thank you for the cake! Love you so much!” Junmyeon hugs his mother tightly and only let go when his mother pinches his waist. “Come back early and help me with the housework.”

“Will do!” he says before disappearing.

This kid, Bora shakes her head.

 

Ever since Junmyeon was little, he had been playing all by himself in this little place they call home. His friends were only the other maids. That is until he started going to school. But what truly changed Junmyeon's life was when he was helping his mother serving tea and muffins for Mrs. Wu. That was the first time that Kris had talked to him. And since then, Junmyeon would always sneak into the garden without her knowledge. He was 8 at that time. What she thought was just a normal servant/master relationship, which is until Mrs. Wu welcomes Junmyeon to the mansion to play with the Wu siblings.

It's like his daily routine. On weekends, after freshen up he will launch himself to the mansion's living room. If Kris isn't there then he would climb up to the latter's room. Although Kris never said it himself, he likes to think that he is Kris' best friend. Well, they did grow up together and Kris isn't the type to hang out or parties like boys their age. He prefers silence, composing in a quiet surrounding rather than blasting his loudspeakers. Junmyeon loves being around Kris. They're total opposites but Junmyeon never felt a dull moment with his friend.

Thank God, Kris is in the living room but he's not alone. Mrs. Wu and all the other siblings are present. Just like any other day, he latches himself next to Kris. “Good morning, Mrs. Wu!” He greets cheerfully.

“My my. Aren't you early.” Mrs. Wu chuckles as she puts down her notebook. “Are you two going somewhere?”

Junmyeon hums, looking hopefully at Kris. “Are we?”

Kris rolls his eyes before detaching Junmyeon's arms that are wrapped around his. “Before that,” Kris takes out something from under the sofa. It's a pastel blue box that's the size of a palm. “This is from all of us. So, happy birthday.”

Junmyeon couldn't control the gasp escaping his lips as he looks at Mrs. Wu. “For me?”

The elegant woman nods. “It was Sehun's idea. The present.” She says. "Open it.”

Junmyeon sends a grateful look to Sehun who's looking expectantly before putting back his attention on the pastel box. Gently, he lifts the top cover and there's a shining small bracelet lying in the box. “It's beautiful.” His mouth hangs in astonishment.

“It's not too feminine, right?” Sehun asks, casting aside his comic book. “I want it to be something that's long-lasting and significant.”

“Significant?”

“What Sehun wants to say is that we want to give you something that you will always remember. And this bracelet, significance that you are a family to us.” Mrs. Wu finishes for him.

Hold on. This is too overwhelming for Junmyeon. Is this a real white gold? He turns to his best friend for answers and Kris only breaks into a small smile before shrugging. “I don't hate the idea plus, you are like a family here. You've been a great friend to me, a great brother to Sehun and also a great punching bag for Victoria.”

Junmyeon is still horrified about having to help Victoria with her karate kicks. But still, there's no denying that everyone treats him like he's one of them. “But... I'm just a servant.”

“Oh please.” Mrs. Wu waves her hand. “Bora has been working with me even before I got married. She's like a family and that means you are too.”

All these kind words are making Junmyeon feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Although they all practically grew up together but Junmyeon still doesn't forget his boundaries. But now, he truly feels like he has gained more family members. His mother would be glad to hear this.

“So what are you waiting for? Wear it!”

Upon Victoria's request, Junmyeon gently removes the bracelet from the box. However, he notices the bracelet seems a tad smaller than usual. And longer when he gets a better look at it. “Are you sure it's a bracelet?” Victoria moves to take a closer look.

“It looks like a bracelet to me.” Sehun does the same.

“But did you ask the clerk?”

Sehun makes a confused face. “I... just told her to wrap it up?”

Victoria groans as she takes the ‘bracelet’ and inspects it herself. “Boohoo this is an anklet.”

“Really? Let me see.” The item is now being passed to Mrs. Wu and slowly, Sehun hides his face in one of the cushions.

“Wu Sehun. How can you buy an anklet instead of a bracelet?” Mrs. Wu shakes her head as she hands it back to the rightful owner.

Sehun groans, cheeks starting to burn. “What's the difference?”

“For someone who is supposedly the most brilliant among us, that's a let-down. I guess you only have numbers and formalities in your head.” Victoria snickers.

Mrs. Wu pinches her daughter to zip . “Well, we did leave the present hunting job to a 14-year-old.”

“Awww guys it's not that bad.” Junmyeon skips to Sehun’s and slings his arms around the smaller. “Bracelet or anklet, I'm still going to wear it!”

But that wasn’t enough to convince Sehun that he didn’t mess up the present. “It's okay, Junmyeon. I'll return this and trade for a bracelet.” He says solemnly through his round cheeks.

Aww little Wu Sehun, the one always a victim to his siblings’ teasing. “I refuse! Our little Sehun chose this for me. How can I refuse this?” Junmyeon coos while ruffling Sehun’s hair.

Prying Junmyeon's hand off his now disheveled hair, Sehun huffs as he glares at the older. “Hey, I'm not that little anymore.”

“He's right.” Mrs. Wu laughs, going back to her notebook. “All of my kids really take after their father.”

“Believe me. I noticed, Mrs. Wu. I could use some of those tall genes if it's possible.”

The room erupts into a burst of laughter but amidst it, Junmyeon hears Sehun muttering something under his breath. “What was that, Sehun?”

“Nothing,” the shorter retrieves back his comic book. “I just thought about how I can't wait to be taller than you.”

“Oho! Don't think you can bully me with your future height, young man.” Junmyeon hoots.

“Of course not! I have my reasons.”

“...and that is?”

Playfully, Sehun sticks his tongue out. “Can't tell you!” And that earns Sehun another round of being in Junmyeon's chokehold. Who said that Junmyeon isn't one of those people who ?

“Okay okay stop!” Sehun shudders when Junmyeon slips his fingers on his waist to tickle him. “You're going to lose it if you don't wear it.” The anklet is taken away from Junmyeon's hand and Sehun tugs Junmyeon's left foot onto his lap.

It’s a cold touch when the anklet is being wrapped around Junmyeon's ankle. Even so, Junmyeon’s face lights up the way the silver object reflects the light.

This is the first time for Junmyeon to be gifted with such a meaningful present. He’s not even sure whether he deserves it. But at the end of the day, it is a present from the Wus and exclusively for him.

For a while, he keeps on staring at his ankles while it remains on top of Sehun's lap. That is until Kris puts down his phone and gets up from the couch. Just like a puppy tagging its owner, Junmyeon too stands up and follows the taller with his arms clinging to Kris' ones. “Hey, there's an interesting performance showing tonight! Want to see it?”

Already used to this kind of scene, Mrs. Wu shakes her head as she watches her son and Junmyeon leaves.

 

Pity.

 

If Junmyeon was attentive enough, he would be able to catch the gloom on Sehun’s expression as he stares longingly at Junmyeon's back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The ends of his lips couldn't help but curved upwards at the beautiful memory. It was easier back then. No worries. No self-pity. No gloominess. Those are the things he has been feeling for a while now. Who would've thought that two years later this anklet is back to its owner? That's the least he deserves, right?

Bending forward, Junmyeon tries to fasten the anklet around his ankle. But he can barely see the hook to clasp it together. Frustration is starting to seep into his blood as he fails again and again to lock it. If only Chanyeol is here, Junmyeon huffs. Such a simple task and yet Junmyeon can't even do. This is useless. He’s never going to—

His brain freezes when suddenly a pair of hands makes its way to his legs and Junmyeon lifts his head to see a brown-haired male crouching in front of him. And of course, his fear about Sehun returning to his house again becomes a reality. Junmyeon was too occupied in his thoughts that he didn't at all registers Sehun's footsteps. What's worse is that how can he explain why he is in a wheelchair to Sehun?

Their skins brush as Sehun quietly helps him while Junmyeon isn’t sure what he is supposed to say. He lets the other does his thing. Just like always. Just like old times. Junmyeon hates this. The sense of familiarity. The audacity to hope that Junmyeon should perish it instantly.

“There.” Sehun pats his foot once he is done. Not that Junmyeon can feel it. He didn't even feel a cold white gold against his skin. “It's been missing its owner.”

Although Junmyeon can't see, he would know that the anklet won't get lost easily. Because it is Sehun. “It would've been better if she finds a new owner.” Junmyeon says solemnly, looking down onto his hands.

A beauty like she shouldn't be stuck with an owner like Junmyeon. He can no longer make the anklet sings. Junmyeon can no longer jingle it even if he wants to and just like everybody, beautiful things shouldn't stay with him.

Another wave of cold wind hits both of them, making Junmyeon’s hands curl into a fist. To Sehun, it's like Junmyeon has changed but at the same time, he didn't. Junmyeon is still sensitive to cold but the Junmyeon that he knew won't ever stand outside even at the slightest cold weather without having at least a coat on. Untangling his scarf, Sehun circles it around Junmyeon's neck. “You were its home. If I were her, of course, I would want to come back to you even if you leave me.”

Those words could have directed to Junmyeon. Junmyeon knows that at least. The way Sehun is looking at him doesn't say otherwise. “I thought you'd left already.” Junmyeon buries his nose deeper into Sehun's scarf. He silently grins at the fact that Sehun never changes his perfume. It still smells the same.

“I'm not a kid anymore, Junmyeon. I don't give up easily.”

Junmyeon snorts. “Of course. You wouldn't be here if you were.”

“Exactly!” Finally, there's a hint of Junmyeon's chuckle even if it was covered by Junmyeon's palm. That was the first sound that Sehun wished to hear when they encounter. “So what was on your mind?” Sehun stands up, hiding his cold hands in his pockets. “You didn't hear me coming, didn't you?”

“Would you believe me if I say I was thinking about us? Back in the living room, on my 17th birthday.”

The day you got your present, Sehun mentally sigh. “The best day of your life?”

“One of the best days.” Junmyeon corrects him. “But still, I would do anything to go back to that time.”

Sehun hates to admit but he doesn't want to go back to that time. Sure, Junmyeon was the happiest. But Sehun was the farthest to reach him. There are many things that Junmyeon was unaware of. Junmyeon didn't know that Sehun missed his violin class just so he could bake Junmyeon a cake only for the older to taste it a day after his birthday. Sehun grows up wishing he was the same age as Junmyeon. Maybe that way Junmyeon would cling onto him instead of Kris. Maybe Junmyeon would talk about the theatre performances enthusiastically to him instead of his brother who was only listening half-heartedly. Sehun would be a better listener. “Come on. Let's get you inside before you catch a cold.”

It's weird having Sehun pushing his wheelchair. Junmyeon wonders what does Sehun feels about all this. So far there's no extreme reaction that Junmyeon would've expected. No pity eyes either.

“I know what you are thinking, Junmyeon.” Sehun stops his wheelchair in the living room. “Why am I not asking much, right?”

Back then, Junmyeon would have teased Sehun for being a mind reader. But his mouth couldn't open to utter anything.

“Your fiancé barely knows anything. So I doubt you would open up to me.” Sehun says bitterly while making his way to the kitchen.

Oh.

So Chanyeol hasn't told Sehun about the truth yet. Junmyeon decides he would just let it be. Sehun has enough revelation for today already. Plus, wouldn't that be too pathetic of him in Sehun's eyes?

Unbeknownst of him, the truth has already reached to Sehun. However, per Chanyeol's request, the secrecy has to go on. ‘Junmyeon doesn't want to think you would pity him. Even if you don't, to Junmyeon he feels pathetic.’ That's what Chanyeol had said.

If it's for Junmyeon’s feelings, Sehun would do anything.

Sehun comes back from the kitchen with two cans of drinks in his hands. He places them on the coffee table in front of Junmyeon. “It got cold while we were outside.”

Junmyeon hums. Looks like Sehun didn’t forget his favorite can drink. Though it’s been a while since he drank this. They don’t sell this brand here. And it seems to Junmyeon that Sehun is having a hard time keeping his eyes open because the latter keeps brushing his eyes with his knuckles. “Did you sleep?” Comes Junmyeon’s question.

“A little.” Sehun said before sitting on the sofa.

“You can sleep for the time being. I was about to make lunch anyways.” Junmyeon was about to wheel himself away but Sehun is quick to grab the wheelchair. “Stay.”

“I'll just be in the kitchen, Sehun.”

“No.” Sehun runs his hand over his hair. “I'm not hungry yet. And it's been so long since we’ve talked.”

Sehun does look exhausted. It's written boldly in his eyes. Junmyeon doesn't have the heart to say no to the younger, not when he's already lying down but his hand remains grasping the wheelchair. “Alright.” Junmyeon breathes out, making himself comfortable in his chair just beside Sehun's head. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Anything. How are you now? How did you meet Chanyeol?”

That's how Junmyeon finds himself telling the story of him for the past 2 years. The days where he was so lost, can barely do anything for himself. It's through the story where Sehun realizes how important Chanyeol is to Junmyeon. But still, the reason why Junmyeon is unable to walk hasn't been brought up. Sehun isn’t going to push it.

“You should really take care of yourself, Sehun. Fainting between works is worrisome.” Junmyeon says worriedly as his fingers naturally brush Sehun's soft hair. Without him realizing, he succumbs into the familiarity he has with Wu Sehun.

“I know. I know. I've got enough nagging on that. Which is why I'm here. I'm taking a break here.”

“Really?” Junmyeon sounds amused. “That's not very Wu of you.”

“And what is that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, I don't know. I thought maybe you would go to Europe or the West Coast area. How about California? There's a lot of girls in swimsuits walking around.”

The younger only laughs softly before pulling Junmyeon's hand that was previously on his head to his cheek. “Here's not so bad either. There's you.”

The blond’s smile freezes. Just why is Sehun going through all the hassle to find him? He really doesn’t understand what his value is to Sehun for the younger to stay even knowing Junmyeon lied on their first reunion. “Why me?” He finds himself asking.

Releasing Junmyeon’s hand, Sehun closes his eyes for a brief moment before he meets Junmyeon’s eyes with a smile. “Because unlike my family, I'm the only one who truly loves you.”

It would have been the perfect confession if it weren't for how terrified Junmyeon looks. He did think of how his confession can come as a burden to Junmyeon and just as he expected, Sehun's feelings would only scare Junmyeon. It’s fine. It's too early anyway. “I mean, we grew up together so you’re like family. And family seeks out for each other, right?”

“Oh.” Was the first thing Junmyeon says. Sehun couldn't unseen how the horrified expression automatically washes away. “Right. Right.” The older lets out a relieved laugh.

Sehun can't say that it didn't pain him. “Anyways, Junmyeon. I have a favor to ask.”

“Hmm?”

Sehun tries to sit up but he did it too quickly that he's having a whiplash. Poor boy clutching his head, but it made Junmyeon giggle so maybe it isn't so bad. “I know I'm asking for so much but for the next two weeks, can I make myself home here?”

Junmyeon wishes he could outright say no but there's uncertainty on what he wants right now. For Sehun to stay. Or for Sehun to leave. But either way, won't it still hurt Junmyeon? “But... Chanyeol—”

“I've talked to him. He said he's fine with it since he's planning to change his shift.”

“He is?”

Sehun nods. “He's probably going to talk to you about it first thing when he sees you.”

If Chanyeol's fine with it, then there's no reason for Junmyeon to say no. Besides, if Chanyeol switch shifts, although Junmyeon hates relying on people but with Chanyeol going to work, he can count on Sehun for the things he needs assistance with. “Two weeks, Wu Sehun.”

And that is enough for Sehun to split into a grin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There's something about working at night shift that exhausts him. No matter how many hours Chanyeol slept prior to his work, he's just not cut out to work beyond midnight. Today isn't any different. Before he left for work today, he had discussed about changing his shift with Junmyeon. Although he tells Junmyeon that it was his body failing to keep up with the night shift, deep inside Chanyeol can't deny that it was to spend time with a certain brunette who is taking the day shift.

He's been meaning to do it earlier but Junmyeon will always be his priority. However, now with Sehun's existence in the picture, maybe things will be a little bit different. Although there's a part in his heart doesn't want any changes when it comes to Junmyeon and him.

Just like usual, instead of going back to his house, Chanyeol crashes into Junmyeon's. He has the spare key attached together with his house keys. He is not at all surprised to see this Wu Sehun guy sleeping in the guest room. This just means that Junmyeon agrees to let Sehun stay.

Gently, so that he won't breathe a single sound, he tiptoes into Junmyeon's room. As expected, the latter is already asleep. Chanyeol changes into his sweater before climbing on the bed next to Junmyeon. Even though it's dark, but the moonlight through the window is enough to shine on Junmyeon's face.

He looks so peaceful like that. Really beautiful. Chanyeol can't help but wonder how Junmyeon would look like before the... well, whatever downfall he went through. He must be glowing. He can't deny there's this possessive feeling that he wants to protect Junmyeon from whoever had hurt Junmyeon and that includes the boy sleeping in the guest room.

But if he's needed for Junmyeon's development, then he'll have to keep him, Chanyeol sighs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first morning in Junmyeon's house smells like cookies. Then, Sehun remembers both of them baking Sehun's favorite Oreo cookies yesterday because it's one of the things that he misses of Junmyeon. It was nice on Sehun's part. It’s like he just went back in time to back when Junmyeon was still with them. On days when Junmyeon isn't latching himself on Kris, Sehun finds those times opportunities for him to slip in.

As he heads to the living room, there is no sign of any fresh-made breakfast or any smell of coffee. Chanyeol mentioned that Junmyeon usually wakes up early in the morning. It is 30 minutes past 11 already.

“Junmyeon?” Sehun knocks on the Junmyeon’s bedroom door gently. He gets nothing. He tries again knocking louder. Still nothing. He tries again and again and he's becoming worried when Junmyeon who isn’t a heavy sleeper didn’t reply back. As he was about to turn the doorknob open, the door opens before him and suddenly a half- Chanyeol is standing in front of him.

Sehun’s eyes widen. “You...”

“Do you have to be so noisy in the damn morning?” Chanyeol groans. His bed hair sticking out and it is making Sehun's eyes turn into a scowl. “It's almost noon.” Sehun can't hide the spite in it. “What the are you doing in his room?”

Chanyeol's sleepy face brightens up just a little looking at the agitated man. “Oho~ Why? Can't I sleep together with my fiancé?”

“Fake fiancé.” Sehun reminds him. “Or did you forget that you have a boyfriend waiting for you at work?”

The devilish smirk falls from his mouth as he clicks his tongue. “You don't have to be so pissy, Wu. You're not even his boyfriend yet.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter