Like Always

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

8.3k words

 

"Junmyeon! Slow down!"

With a slice of bread hanging by his mouth, Junmyeon looks over his shoulders to the woman’s voice. At first, he didn’t know why his mother is running towards him but when he sees the tote bag in her hands, he gasps. "My bag!"

"You almost forgot your PE clothes!" Bora pants then goes to flick Junmyeon’s forehead.

Despite getting hit on his forehead, he has to thank his mother a lot for this. Today at school, they will be having test and measurements in sports and he would be doomed if he didn't bring his PE clothes! This is why he can't live without his mother, Junmyeon dramatically thinks.

Before Junmyeon could say goodbye for the second time, they hear the sound of a car honking to which both of them immediately scurries to the side. Just like the usual mornings, Junmyeon’s father is driving Mr. Wu and also the Wu siblings to work and school respectively. When the car bypasses them, Junmyeon waves his hand excitedly to the boy inside. Kris, of course, would always wave back even if it’s just barely but he sees the small hint of a smile on Kris' face.

That’s the apparent thing about their friendship. He and Kris are from two different worlds. The Wu siblings didn't go to public school as he did. No way! His level is just high up there. But sometimes, Junmyeon wishes that one day they get to enroll into the same school. With that, he could show everyone that he is also Kris’ friend. Although, if he were to do that in Kris' private school, he'll probably get laughed at.

How can a commoner like him befriend with someone like Kris?

However, that's one of the reasons as to why he is fond of Kris. Because Kris doesn't discriminate him. The taller is really such a great person.

He didn't realize he was smiling giddily to himself until Bora hits his shoulder. "What are you grinning so much in this early morning? Hurry up to school!"

Oh, right! Junmyeon unlocks the lock on his bicycle. His school is pretty far since this neighbourhood is really for the elites. You don't see any single public school bus or van in this area. Everyone either has a Range Rover or some expensive cars that Junmyeon can't even pronounce as their ride.

Also to avoid any misunderstandings on Junmyeon's behalf, he rather just rode to school by bicycle instead of people spreading rumours that he is from a rich family. No. His parents are working in a rich family. Not that he is ashamed of his parents' occupation, but Junmyeon knew how brutal the people in his school could be with their words. He's trying to avoid being a victim so he rather just not tell people about himself that much.

"I'll be home a little late!" Junmyeon notes his mother.

His mother looks at him in confusion. It's Friday. "Do you have an extra curriculum?"

"No, not that." Junmyeon wears his safety helmet. "Kris said he was craving for the spicy rice cake down the XX street. I'm going to buy some!"

Bora shakes her head. That street isn't near his school or on the same road back. It takes another 15 minutes just to get there. But she knows better than trying to stop Junmyeon. She never succeeded so she doesn’t bother trying anymore. "Do you need extra money?"

"Never mind! I got it covered. See you later, Mom!" Junmyeon shouts while exiting the front gate.

Sigh, everyday Bora worries about her 16-year-old son riding off to school like that. Sometimes, she wonders if Junmyeon gets jealous or not looking at the Wus. Despite Junmyeon insisting that he is contented with his life now, Bora just wishes she could give more.

"Come home safely." She whispers into the air.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The queue to the rice cake took longer than expected. Why of all days, it had to be so crowded today?! At least he manages to get some before it runs out. Junmyeon grins to the plastic in his hands.

Kris would be so happy.

He didn't even change his school attire before skipping up the stairs to Kris' room. Oh boy, Kris is going to be so thankful when he—

Junmyeon falls silent when the door is opened and Kris is not in his usual spot. Instead, there are three boys who wear similar school uniform as Kris looking at his way. Junmyeon recognizes Kyungsoo from Kris' music club but the other two are new to him.

"Hello." Junmyeon bows politely.

Kyungsoo upon spotting him, immediately sits up from the bean bag by the window. "Junmyeon!" He runs over to the blond man. "It's been a while!"

Junmyeon also thinks it's good to see him again. But in his hands, he only has rice cakes that is enough for two people. If he knew Kris' friends were coming over, he would have kept it in the fridge so that he and Kris can eat together later.

"Oh, is that for us?" Kyungsoo points to the food in his hand.

"It's... It's for Kris." He stutters, hiding the food away behind his back.

"Oh..." Judging from the small container, Kyungsoo is sensible enough to know that Junmyeon didn't intend this food to be shared by others. “I see. Well, I can give this to him. He's showering at the moment."

But... Junmyeon bought them so that he and Kris can share. He even skipped his school meal so that he could use the money to buy two portions of this darn expensive but super delicious rice cake.

However, he can’t really say no to Kyungsoo. There’s nothing he can do about it.

 

Junmyeon hands Kyungsoo the plastic and before he could excuse himself, another head appears behind Kyungsoo. "Who's this?"

Oh, it’s someone who Junmyeon can’t recognize. Again, he bows politely.

Kyungsoo shakes the stranger's chin off from his shoulders. "Gross. You're too close. And this is Junmyeon. He is a friend of Kris.”

The stranger who Junmyeon noted to have blue hair and slanted eyes scans Junmyeon and his school uniform before tilting his head. "I didn't know Kris has middle-class friends."

The remarks from this stranger immediately earn a jab on the ribs by Kyungsoo. "Yibo, you don't say words like that!" Kyungsoo hisses.

The male winces while clutching his abused rib. "Why? It's true, right?"

Junmyeon immediately shakes his hand to stop Kyungsoo from elbowing this Yibo guy again. "Oh, it's fine. I get that a lot.” He tries to laugh it off. “I'm Junmyeon, by the way. I lived here as well."

The confusion in Yibo's face doubled after Junmyeon's introduction. Seeing how dumbly puzzled Yibo is, Kyungsoo explains to him how Junmyeon is the son of the head maid in this household.

Yibo nods in understanding but he still seems like he has a question in his head. "Then, doesn't that make you his errand boy or something?"

Junmyeon's lips twitch at the question and Kyungsoo jabs him again at the same place. "I just told you that Junmyeon is Kris' friend!"

Instead of feeling bad for himself, Junmyeon sorts of understands it. This is what he expects after befriending with the son of a famous family. Not all people are like Kris and Kyungsoo. He doesn't blame this Yibo guy for thinking so. "I'm just dropping the food for Kris. I'll be taking my leave."

It’s better to stop the conversation there. Many times Junmyeon felt so out of place, and this is one of those moments. As he was about to leave, he is being stopped again by another unfamiliar voice. "Wait."

All of them turn to voice that belongs to the male who was lying down on Kris' bed. Now, the stranger is in front of Junmyeon with his arms folded. "Are you really Kris' friend?"

The hard gaze made Junmyeon flinch. Some rich kids are scary, he knows that much. Especially the spoiled ones according to Sehun. Junmyeon wanted to answer but the other's gaze is taunting him to stay quiet. Like saying I dare you to answer.

"Kris barely made any friends at school. We're only here because we ended up in the same group project.” The intimidating boy hums. “I'm sure you know who I am.”

To be frank, Junmyeon honestly doesn't know but he is just going to keep that to himself.

"So I'm curious how do you get to call yourself as his friend. I would've believed if you told me that you're just his errand boy."

Junmyeon scratches the back of his head. Why is he being interrogated again? "Uhh, you don't have to believe me, Mr...?"

"Kibum." The boy answers and judging from his face, he isn't too pleased that Junmyeon doesn't know his name.

"Kibum. Yes. Well, forgive my bluntness but I've known Kris for a long time and he's been my best friend since I was a kid, so it's not that hard to believe." Junmyeon says confidently.

The latter only squints his eyes at Junmyeon. Not even Kyungsoo dares to say anything.

"How confident." Kibum scoffs. "That… Or you’re just deluded by your own crush towards him.”

Junmyeon's eyes immediately widen as Yibo and Kyungsoo look at Junmyeon with the same eyes. "What?! I do not..." Junmyeon lowers his voice after remembering that Kris could hear him. "...have a crush on him."

"Sure you do!" Kibum smirks as he makes his way back onto Kris' bed. "Just now Kris said that he was so full that he couldn't eat anything anymore so it didn’t make sense for him to order a big portion of spicy rice cakes to be eating it now. Unless... You bought it voluntarily."

"Ugh even if he did, how can that translate into him liking Kris? Stop making people uncomfortable, Kibum.” Kyungsoo who can’t stay silent any longer finally backs him up.

Kibum only rolls his eyes before leaning his back on the pillows. "Yeah, right. Didn't you see how disappointed he was when he saw us?"

Okay maybe Junmyeon is disappointed that Kris wasn't alone but... but... to say that he has a crush on Kris, how can Junmyeon dare to even think about it? Kris is way out of his league and he shouldn't be pushing his boundaries...

Right?

He didn't know what to say. Kyungsoo mouths to him an apology because he knew how uncomfortable Junmyeon is at the moment. Junmyeon wants to excuse himself but he didn't want to seem like he's proving Kibum a point.

To his misery, he hears the bathroom door opens and Junmyeon internally curses.

"I can't even shower in peace with all of you yapping outside." He hears Kris grumbles.

.

Does that mean Kris had heard them? Junmyeon freezes in his spot because he didn't dare to face his best friend if Kris had really heard their conversation. Would Kris feel uncomfortable now?

"Ahh here's the main character." Kibum sing songs.

Feeling rather small and intimidated, Junmyeon bows his head as an attempt to excuse himself. "I have errands to do. I'll be going." He quickly turns around.

Unfortunately, his foot betrays him. As he was about to fall, rather than kissing the floor, he is immediately greeted with a still wet sturdy chest. "Junmyeon?"

The blond looks up to see Kris with his hair still wet as the taller tries to balance Junmyeon from falling. Kris glances at him before looking at everyone else in the room. "What’s going on?”

Junmyeon feels his face heating up. Lately, he's been noticing that there are times when he gets shy around Kris and this is one of it. He couldn't even make eye contact when he answers the taller. "I came by to drop the spicy rice cake."

"He says you two are best friends." Kibum lazily crosses his arms. "I just find that absurd considering... well, just look at him."

Hey! Junmyeon frowns.

But thinking about what Kibum had just said, Kris never really said that Junmyeon is his best friend. When he self-proclaim that they are best friends, Junmyeon meant that it was Kris who is his best friend. Although, this does not necessarily means that it is reciprocated. All this while he likes to think he is too. But what if Kris doesn't acknowledge it? Now, his frown gets deeper.

"And if he is, so what?"

Junmyeon whips his head so fast to look at Kris. The latter only shrugs before continuing. "I honestly don't see a problem with that. And if you do, that just proves what kind of a person you are, don't you think?"

Kibum’s fist clenches by his side as he tries to smile through his gritted teeth. "I see you're not denying it."

"Think whatever you want. Your opinion doesn't matter to me." Kris said bluntly before grabbing the plastic in Kyungsoo's hand. "Put it in the fridge. We can eat it together later tonight.” He pushes the plastic back into Junmyeon's hand.

Junmyeon feels like crying. Kris is standing up for him. He knew Kris despite being blunt and scary at times, he's actually someone with a very good and kind heart.

And this is why he very much loves the taller.

 

Love?

 

As if he just confessed something that he didn’t even know beforehand, his eyes enlarge like an owl.

What did I just say?

Sensing that he's probably not in his right mind, he excuses himself and this time, he finally manages to exit the room without being stopped again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Even after 2 movies and a bowl of the spicy rice cakes, Kris didn't bring up the incident that happened earlier. And Junmyeon thinks there isn’t any reason for it. In the middle of their 3rd Harry Potter movie, Kris ended falling asleep on the floor with only a small donut-shaped pillow under his head.

Carefully not to wake the latter up, he cleans any trashes on the floor and sets aside the plates and mugs. He didn't want to wake Kris up because he knows Kris’ temper upon wakening up even when there's something urgent. This is usual. By the second or third movie, Kris would be knocked out and Junmyeon would be the one turning off the TV and clean everything. And when everything is done, Junmyeon would go back home at the worker headquarters.

He was about to head out but before that, Junmyeon takes another donut-shaped pillow and lies in front of his friend. Now that Kris has his eyes closed, he looks so peaceful and calm when he sleeps. All Wu siblings had cold eyes but truthfully, they are actually full of warmth. It's just that they are born with eyes that make them look like they're glaring at you.

If Junmyeon was to be honest, he could barely focus on the movies. The words that Kibum uttered moments ago rang in his head like a broken record.

Does he really like Kris?

He never really thought about it that way. –No, he's never even thought about liking anyone. Why would he when he... already... have Kris?

Oh.

"It would be impossible, right?" Junmyeon whispers, hand removing the phone in Kris' palm.

This isn't some fairy-tale or Korean drama where the rich marries the poor. He has no main character miracle that can change his life like Cinderella. He is merely... Junmyeon, the head maid's son.

Junmyeon has never really mind about his status so for him to feel sad about it now, only Kris can make him feel so many emotions at once. "I guess I really like you, huh?” Junmyeon smiles sadly as he traces patterns on Kris' empty palm.

Abruptly, Kris starts groaning in his sleep, startling Junmyeon. And somehow, Kris' palm ends up closing around Junmyeon's wrist and then he sleepily tugs it below his head.

. Kris must have thought that his hand is another pillow. Though, Junmyeon wonders if his hand is that fat to be mistaken as one. He tries to wake Kris to withdraw his hand but the latter only groans again and this time in displeasure.

Okay, terrible idea.

Since it has come to this, then, shouldn’t Junmyeon take this opportunity to stay for the night? He guesses he'll just take a picture of this situation so he can prove to Kris that it was him who is preventing Junmyeon from going home.

Still, this whole scene is so adorable to him. Junmyeon didn't mind. He didn't mind at all if Kris would want to use him as a pillow. "You're adorable, do you know that?" He mutters while lightly swiping Kris' bangs aside.

Just when he is busy admiring his friend, the door to Kris' room creaks opens and Junmyeon immediately retracts his hand. He looks over his shoulder and finds Sehun standing at the door frame. "Oh, Sehun."

"It's late. You're not going home?" The 13-year-old boy says sleepily.

Junmyeon shakes his head. "I think I might need to sleep here tonight."

Even with half-lidded eyes, Junmyeon can see the sudden sparks in Sehun's eyes. "Really? Then, you don’t mind if I join you?”

"Of course!" Junmyeon beckons Sehun to come closer.

He thought that Sehun would occupy the empty bed but instead, the brown-haired male takes a pillow from the bed then places it beside Junmyeon's pillow. "Not sleeping on the bed?"

"Nope." Sehun answers. "Here is fine."

Junmyeon can only chuckle at Sehun's adorableness. The little kid sometimes is extra clingy with him and tonight probably is one of his episodes. Oh well, Junmyeon is sure that Sehun enjoys having another brother in this house.

Just like that, Junmyeon asks Sehun to change the light to the night lamp and they start preparing to sleep. Junmyeon is still facing Kris while Sehun is behind him when a small voice speaks up again. "Are you still holding Kris' hand?"

Junmyeon whose eyes were previously closed open up again. "Actually, it's your brother that's holding my hand. I can't move."

Sehun hums before asking another question. "But why are you guys holding hands?"

"I think he's mistaking my hand as a pillow. Let him be. He'll shift in his sleep eventually."

"Oh...” Sehun ponders. “Is it normal to do that?"

Okay, why does Sehun have so many questions tonight? How does Junmyeon explain to Sehun that it's not actually normal for anyone to hold hands together while sleeping? If he says it like that, he bets Sehun would question even further. So instead, he nods his head. "Yeah. It's pretty normal between close friends."

"Ohh... I see."

Junmyeon exhales. He hopes that Sehun would stop interrogating further. However, not as he had thought, Sehun isn't done with his questions. "In that case, can I hold your hand?"

The blond male was taken aback by the request. He shifts his body until he is lying down facing the ceiling. "You want to hold my hand?"

"Well, since you said it's normal and we are close friends too, right? So I can, right? Or am I... not your close friend..." Sehun's voice becoming smaller n smaller.

Junmyeon is doing all his best not to coo at Sehun. He knows how Sehun hates being called cute and naive. "Of course, you are! Here." Junmyeon offers Sehun his free hand. "Now, don't pout and let's sleep."

Excitedly, Sehun takes Junmyeon's hand with a wide smile before he contently closes his eyes.

It’s going to be a long night with both of his hands being taken as hostage by the two Wus.

But he doesn't mind. He felt important and loved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Even after years, Junmyeon's heartbeat still races when he is near Kris. But this time, Junmyeon sure as hell knows it's not the heart fluttering kind.

It's fear.

What is he doing here?

"It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Junmyeon is unable to move his lips to reply. He couldn't even meet Kris through his eyes. God, he feels like running.

While

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter