City Lights

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13.3k words

 

The very first thing Sehun did after arriving back in the city is to hold a meeting with Bora and Jaejoong. Apparently, Junmyeon had told them the news about his tumour and about his parents’ reaction, he didn’t tell Sehun that. But Sehun figured he should immediately tell both of them their plan. Their plan to bring Junmyeon back to the city.

They met at a cafe nearby so that Mrs Wu wouldn’t be so suspicious of Bora's whereabouts. Groceries shopping, as she tells his mother. He has to say, he was trembling. Knowing Junmyeon's whereabouts was already enough to anger Bora so, Sehun can’t imagine how she would react when Sehun propose them his plans.

Sehun must say, it wasn’t an easy task to convince Junmyeon's parents about future plans. Repeatedly Bora tried to contain her voice from going too loud because she just couldn’t accept that Junmyeon is going to live in the city again. Furthermore, her son would be staying at Sehun’s place which undoubtedly dangerous if any of the Wus to find out.

"Sehun, as harsh as it sounds, I do not want my son anywhere near your family. The Wus have made it clear that they would not tolerate any relationship with my son." Sehun notices how Bora's voice quivers. She was so taken aback that she forgets about her drink, leaving her tea untouched. "The only reason I'm still in this house is that we have been serving your family for a long time."

Her reaction was completely understandable. Appropriate even. If Sehun was in Bora's shoes, he would have done the same thing. Jaejoong who stayed quiet mostly also couldn't hide the disagreement displayed on his brows.

However, Sehun further explains that he will try his best to not bring any of his family in the picture. This is solely for Junmyeon and for him to recover because if they leave Junmyeon back at Rafflesia, they're going to be on thin ice. Although Chanyeol would do his best to aid him at home but Junmyeon needed more than that.

Junmyeon needed his parents.

And that is why Sehun will bring him to them.

Still, Junmyeon's parents are just like him. They will never receive anything for free. They refuse to let Sehun shoulder the medical bills to which Sehun says that it can be compromised. In short, they can be as involved as they want in the bill payment. But earnestly, Sehun wishes that they would let him do this alone.

They're both old. Especially Jaejoong who should be resting more at home.

The discussion went back and forth on how Sehun tries to convince the couple that Junmyeon needs him and his parents. This isn’t a battle that Junmyeon should go through alone.

As expected, negotiating without Junmyeon is to no avail. At last, Sehun lets Bora, Jaejoong and Junmyeon to discuss on their own through a video call.

It was only the next day that Sehun receives a long text message from Bora, agreeing with Sehun’s proposal with a few terms and conditions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sehun.” Bora calls his name tensely. “Are you sure about this?”

They’re standing at the front door of the Wu’s house. Sehun can see the sweat trickling down on Bora’s nape. Certainly, this probably would be one of the biggest decisions that Bora has made. “I am.” Sehun answers seriously, making Bora turns her head to him. “For Junmyeon, I am.”

There’s a silence from Bora followed by a sigh before she pushes the front door open. This time, she didn’t straightaway disappear to the kitchen where it connects to the workers’ headquarters. But instead, she scans the house, looking for a specific woman.

The man who was beside her told her that he’ll be in the kitchen, waiting. Somehow, this makes the heartbeat in Bora’s chest quickens.

It’s evening and if Mrs Wu isn’t in the living room watching reruns of historical dramas, then she would only be in her room.

Just as she thought, Mrs Wu’s calm voice permits her to enter the room when Bora comes and knock on her bedroom door.

“Bora,” She welcomes, lifting her gaze from her book momentarily. “Come.”

The maid nervously approaches the exquisite woman who is taking a breather at the balcony with another thriller novel in her hands. That’s just her preference even back then. “Mrs Wu. I have something very important to discuss.”

The serious tone from Bora immediately caused Mrs Wu to slip her bookmark between the pages and casts aside her book. Not only that, but her eyes seem to beam more than before. “Really? Sit down then.”

Without objection, Bora sits on the seat adjacent to Mrs Wu. Even when Bora refused, Mrs Wu still insist on pouring Bora a cup of tea. “It’s very rare these days to see you initiate conversation. So tell me anything. I’m all ears.” Mrs Wu gleams. Bora can’t help but feel immense guilt as she was about to turn it all around.

“I… would like your permission to be dismissed.” Bora beseeches loud and clear so that she doesn’t have to repeat her words. It would be hard for her to do so without a wavering voice.

As she figured, the smile on Mrs Wu’s face would be pulled down to become a frown. “You want to quit?” Mrs Wu repeats, the previous beam in her eyes fades.

“You have been very generous to me for many many years. And I couldn’t thank you enough.” Bora bows her head. “But, I think my time here has come to an end. I would like to put my family first before anything else. I deeply wish that you would understand.”

Mrs Wu stays quiet. Bora waited for her reply but when she didn’t, she lifts her head to see Mrs Wu dejected gaze. “Bora. Do you hate me?” Mrs Wu asks suddenly with a solemn voice.

“Eh?”

Mrs Wu exhales heavily through her nose before looking emptily at the cup in front of her. “After we chased Junmyeon out, I know things have been hard on you. I see the changes in this household. Your relationship with everyone in this house.”

Bora tries to remain her poker face although she can’t say that she didn’t feel anything towards Mrs Wu’s words. If anything, the air feels suffocating out of the blue. “Of course, wishing me to remain the same after all that has happened is impossible. However, I do not hate you, Mrs Wu. It was my son’s mistake after all.”

She doesn’t deny it. Bora knows Junmyeon was at fault and was the main reason why the thing that happened happen. The Wus action was justifiable. However, which mother wouldn’t feel devastated to see their son harshly kicked out from the house. His bags and stuff were thrown away like it never held an ounce of meaning.

Bora remembers thoroughly how his son went from a family friend to a family enemy in just a split second. How she catches Junmyeon limping after a brawl with Kris. His son in his arms was crying, saying how he was sorry and that it was his fault for everything. Even with Bora scolding Junmyeon for making terrible choices, both of them knew what’s next.

She was ready. If she and her husband had to leave as well, so be it.

But then, the accident happened.

Maybe his son’s sin towards the Wu family was too big that it had cost him more than just being a stranger. It cost him his legs. And the worst part is that she can only watch his son from afar, picking up the pieces of his life falling apart.

The Wu had given them mercy to pay the medical bills during the accident. Bora and Jaejoong knew that they couldn’t afford it.

It’s not like they weren’t in a tight situation. The aftercare medical bills, the therapy, and also for his son to live in the city, with their pay, it simply wasn’t enough.

Bora and her husband aren’t like those fortunate families who have good educational backgrounds to apply for work elsewhere. Instead, it’s fortunate to be working with the Wus since they pay fairly good even for a position such as a driver and a maid. Thus, quitting maybe wasn’t the best idea. Especially at their age.

Thus, Bora had to thank her old friend back at her hometown to find a cheap house for Junmyeon. Thankfully, it’s a house near the son of this said friend. This reassures Bora a lot as she has someone who can supervise Junmyeon when she’s not there. Living in the city would be much harder in financial and also for Junmyeon to move around.

As soon as Bora can trust Junmyeon to live alone, she sends him to live in Rafflesia Town.

She was deep in her thoughts that she didn’t realize Mrs Wu has already begun rubbing her temples. “Bora, when you…” Mrs Wu pauses for a while before continuing. “When everything fell apart, you stopped talking to us and only utter when necessary. I understand why you did so. I know my daughter also treats you differently. It’s inevitable but… I don’t want you to detest me.”

“Again, Mrs Wu. I do not detest you.”

“I know you don’t.” Mrs Wu smiles sadly. “But you hate this house, don’t you? You hate being here, having to live with the people who threw your son out.”

“…”

Mrs Wu undeniably hits a bulls-eye on that one. Bora’s hand clenches on her own skirt under the table.

Seeing Bora’s eyebrows are starting to furrow, Mrs Wu gulps. “Then can you promise that when you leave this house, you will still see me as the same lady who you served when you were younger?”

Again, Bora said nothing. How can she answer a question like that knowing her answer wouldn’t impress Mrs Wu at all? But even without Bora’s answer, Mrs Wu knew all too well what it meant. “Why do I feel like it has already changed?”

After a long silence, Bora finally croaks out an apology. “I’m sorry, that it has come to this, Mrs Wu. I did not intend to cause any discomfort for you. I am getting older, it’s best for me to be by my son’s side.”

The words were reasonable. Mrs Wu would have understood. At the age like theirs, it’s time for their kids to be taking care of the parents. But the reason why Mrs Wu can’t seem to accept this resignation is because as soon as Bora walks out that door, she will lose a friend.

Even if Bora never sees herself that way.

“When?” Mrs Wu finds herself asking.

“As soon as possible.”

Hearing that, Mrs Wu nods her head then picks up the previously casted book. There are so many questions that Mrs Wu wanted to ask.

‘Where will you go now?’

‘Are you still going to work?’

‘How are you going to support your son?’

However, there’s already a wall between them that is unbreakable, Mrs Wu knows this. Both of them do. Despite being a mere worker to her, it doesn’t change the fact Bora was like a friend who saw her through ups and downs. Losing Bora isn’t like losing one of her normal workers. They’ve been with each other for more than 20 years.

“Then, we’ll keep in touch after that.” Mrs Wu still insists, eyes unbearable to see Bora off. Although she doubts Bora would, Mrs Wu says it just in case Bora still remembers their years of being together as friends.

With a tight lip, Bora thank her again before exiting the room. Although it sounded civil, but why does Bora feel like this is a bad farewell?

Descending down the stairs, Bora feels a heavyweight in his heart. She’s relieved but going away like this, it didn’t feel right. But farewell wasn’t meant to be sweet. Especially when you don’t plan on returning.

 

She meets Sehun in the kitchen who is leaning on the fridge with a box of yogurt ice cream in his hands. She’s not at all surprised that the younger eats it directly from the box with a spoon. Shaking her head, one can’t really force out a habit out of someone. “You’re lucky no one else eats that flavour except you.”

“Too lazy.” He mutters, the spoon clean. “How’d it go?”

“Fine.” Bora heaves out, remembering the not so pleasant talk. “I expected it would be harder for her to agree.”

Sehun must have made a puzzled look because Bora chuckles after glancing at him. “Your mother and I have a long history with each other.”

“Well, you have been working with Mama before she even got married.”

Bora nods, thinking those days when she was younger and healthier. Even though back then work was tougher but she without a doubt spent her youth well. “She was still a rookie actress when I first worked with her. Although I was merely a maid, but I was the closest to her age in the house. Naturally, we would get along well.”

Bora recalls back how she first serve with the Oh household. All her life, she knows her superior as Oh Yeon Ji. It was later when the media kept glorifying the ‘Wu Family’ that she decided to be referred to as Wu Yeon Ji.

“Later when she started moving out from the family house, I was requested to follow wherever she goes. And I did. Even until now. I grew up from seeing her cry of her first scandal to her giving birth to her 3rd child. I was also there to console her whenever her ‘close’ celebrity friends frustrate her every now and then.”

Sehun doesn’t deny that. He would always think that his mother and Bora have this special bond. They would have been the best friends if they actually drop the formalities between them. That’s what years of friendship is. And sometimes, two people from different worlds can understand each other better than others.

“This must’ve been hard for you, Bora.”

Surprisingly, Bora shakes his head. “Not as hard as not being there for my son when he needs me the most.”

That too, Sehun doesn’t deny.

“Sehun, I know you said you want me to live with Junmyeon and that’s why you’re preparing for us to move in your apartment but,” She looks seriously at Sehun. “I gave it a thought and I would like it better if Junmyeon would be the only staying there. I’ll rent somewhere nearby so that I can still see Junmyeon every day,”

Sehun puts down his ice cream. “You’re afraid of being a bother?” Knowing Bora, she probably doesn’t want anyone to think that she’s using Sehun. Just as Sehun thought, it’s hard convincing the latter to take such a huge offer. “You should just use your savings to start a business.”

“It's enough for both, Sehun. I know you’re doing this all for Junmyeon but there are still things that I am capable of.” Bora insists. “I know you want to but not everything you have to do it on your own. Junmyeon has me and his dad. So it’s okay, understand?”

The plan was for Junmyeon and Bora to live in his condominium. Until when Sehun doesn’t know and he doesn’t mind. As long as Sehun comes back to Junmyeon every night, he’ll be fine. But he guesses accepting a free place to live would be burdensome for Bora to accept.

Well, he can’t really force her. She has a point too. Besides, if Bora wants to start her own pastries business, she should have her own space to produce them.

“Okay. We’ll do that.” He agrees.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon spent the entire two weeks packing his belongings. 2 years went by so quickly. It's just like yesterday that he picked up this artificial plant from the box to place it on the coffee table. And now, he's putting it again in a box.

Chanyeol had been helping him to do so and it wasn’t until they were clearing up the shelf where Chanyeol suddenly became quiet. Junmyeon realizes now that with him leaving, he had to return Chanyeol's One Piece manga that Junmyeon didn't realize that Chanyeol had brought here that many.

Still, on his last days in Rafflesia, Chanyeol treated him normally and that's a relief. Junmyeon didn’t really want anything to change. He said this before. If it's possible, he didn't even want to leave. Having the surgery done here wasn’t a bad option.

But at the same time, he wants to be where Sehun is. He wants Sehun to be at ease. And if moving to the place where he fears the most is the way, then so be it. As compared to the lengths that Sehun had gone for him, this is nothing.

Alas, the day where Chanyeol dread the most finally came. Sehun arrived a day prior so that he too could help Junmyeon with his stuff. Chanyeol took a time off from work so he could see Junmyeon off.

The journey to the airport was quiet. Junmyeon has his arms wrapped around Chanyeol's left arm while leaning his cheek on Chanyeol's shoulder. The brunet comforts Junmyeon by tracing circles on the back of the latter's palm while humming the song on the radio. It's their last day together so Sehun lets Junmyeon savour his moment with Chanyeol.

If it was Chanyeol, he wishes that the journey to the airport would never end. He wishes that they won’t ever arrive. That way, he would still have his closest friend by his side. It kills him that he had to be away from Junmyeon especially now since Junmyeon needs a lot of care. If he had a quarter of Sehun's wealth, he would have bought a house in the city.

But his imagination can only go so far. When Sehun gets off from the passenger seat, Chanyeol's frown deepens. The sound of an airplane taking off nearby was like gravity pulling him to still in place. Chanyeol can’t avoid this. Both Junmyeon and Chanyeol eventually walk into the airport, hand in hand.

Again, Sehun lets them because he knows how important this is. Chanyeol isn't just a friend to Junmyeon and vice versa. There's no need for jealousy where it's not due.

It's odd that Junmyeon and him spent his last week pretending like Junmyeon isn’t leaving. Well, except for the packing but other than that, they never brought it up. But now, with the last minutes, Chanyeol didn't know what to say.

When it was time to go, Chanyeol still couldn’t find the right words. Junmyeon waits patiently for Chanyeol to say something although he knows that every word would wound him.

Sehun who understands the atmosphere excuses himself to ‘buy something”. This is just an excuse for him to give some space for both of them to share their heartfelt goodbyes.

With Sehun's back leaving, Chanyeol then turns to Junmyeon again. "Wow. You're really leaving, huh?" Chanyeol didn't know why but it felt so much like he lost. Although he shouldn’t feel like that but he still can’t help the heartache at the thought of not being able to see Junmyeon often.

"It'll be fine." Junmyeon pats the back of Chanyeol's palm, assuring him that they'll be in contact often. "I promise."

Chanyeol crouches down then kneels on one knee beside Junmyeon. "Are you really going to be okay? If things go south there, I'll fetch you here. No doubt.”

This manages to draw a chuckle out of Junmyeon. Chanyeol might sound like he is joking but really, all it takes is just one call for Junmyeon, and Chanyeol would wait for him here at the airport.

“Chanyeol, it’s not like I’m going to war.”

It definitely felt like it, Chanyeol grimly thinks. “I should be sending you off with a smile.” He reasons with himself. This is different. It isn’t like sending your friends off after receiving a better opportunity. It isn’t a goodbye where there’s nothing to worry about. Chanyeol has plenty to worry about especially Junmyeon.

Of course, his friend is not a baby. But Junmyeon too isn’t exactly going to the most peaceful place for him. Plus, how can he not worry for Junmyeon when he’s in that condition?

Still, this is what Junmyeon chooses. He is opening a new chapter of his life with Sehun and now Sehun will be taking his role to take care of Junmyeon. Chanyeol should be glad.

“Just…” Chanyeol ducks his head, letting out a shaky breath. “Just come back here healthily.” He pulls Junmyeon’s nape so the latter would rest his forehead on Chanyeol’s shoulder. He shuts the sound of people buzzing around them and just focuses on Junmyeon’s warmth because he won’t get that luxury anymore. At least as much as he did before.

On the other hand, Junmyeon understands if Chanyeol is terrified. Junmyeon is too. He has had sleepless nights thinking about the days that lie ahead of him. Will it be bright or dark, he doesn’t know. Yes, he does want to return to this small town that he calls home. And he swears to God by that time, he wants himself to be in the best condition as he can be. “Will you be alright, though?”

Chanyeol snorts. “Hey, I’m not the one that’s sick.” He tries to joke and gladly, Junmyeon is humored. Tightening his grasp on Chanyeol’s jacket, Junmyeon inhales Chanyeol’s cologne. “Come visit me soon, okay?”

Chanyeol eagerly nods, brushing Junmyeon’s nape. “I will.”

Junmyeon didn’t realize he was crying until Chanyeol Junmyeon’s wet cheek and presses their forehead together.

There is so much that Chanyeol wants to say. But instead, he kisses Junmyeon’s closed eyelid before pulling Junmyeon in his embrace again. “I love you, Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon unconsciously smiles. “I love you too. This isn’t goodbye, Chanyeol.”

It really isn’t. At the same time, it is in a certain context. “I know.”

They break free from each other and wait for Sehun to return. Meanwhile, Junmyeon doesn’t let go of the hem of Chanyeol’s sleeve while Chanyeol takes a few pictures of them, promising that he’ll have it print and hang in Chanyeol’s house.

Chanyeol’s lonely house will finally light up with pictures of their smiles.

When Sehun arrives, he gives a nod to Chanyeol before shaking the taller’s hand. For the whole 2 years that Sehun wasn’t there for Junmyeon, he is extremely grateful that Junmyeon is under the wings of someone like Chanyeol. Despite their brawl, it doesn’t change the fact that no other friend could have treat Junmyeon better. “We’ll see you soon.”

Chanyeol knows they will. And he will see everyone happier than today. He hopes everyone will.

With one last glance towards Chanyeol, Junmyeon throws a finger heart to his best friend. Playfully, Chanyeol pretends to catch it but soon the smile turns upside down as he watches Sehun pushes Junmyeon’s wheelchair pass the gate. When they’re no longer visible, Chanyeol’s mind slowly spaces out.

Even before Sehun came along, he knew that one day… one day, he’ll be going back home to an empty house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol comes home to see a fruit basket on his table. One, someone who left this must have the keys to his house. Two, he’s never received one, so this is suspicious to him. Slowly, he nears the item then pokes it a couple of times. As he lifts the basket, he notices the yellow note under it.

Befriends with the new neighbour.

“Oh…” He puts down the note to eyes the fruits again. Right… His parents did tell him to keep an eye on Junmyeon. Help him if necessary and be a good friend. That’s easy. Chanyeol has been told he is a social butterfly so that part would be easy.

However, the thing that he isn’t sure of is whether Junmyeon would want his company or not. From their first encounter, Junmyeon barely talked, let alone smile (sincerely) or laugh. Picking up the apple, Chanyeol washes it first before taking a bite.

Outside, there’s a sudden sound of a crash that made him stop in his tracks. He pulls the blinds slightly to see what’s going on at his neighbour’s side and one look, he immediately abandons the apple in his hand. Chanyeol runs out as fast as the wind before pushing open the gate to Junmyeon’s house.

“Woah! Stay where you are! Do you need help?” Chanyeol approaches the grunting man who is trying to reach for the broken glasses on the floor. The man in front of him ignores him as he still tries to bend his body forward to grab them. “You’ll hurt yourself.” Chanyeol warns him.

Just as Chanyeol said so, the blond male winces as he accidentally cut his finger with the sharp piece. “See! I told you to stay put.” Chanyeol scolds before tugging Junmyeon’s hand to inspect the cut. It isn’t that deep, thank God. “I’ll get tissues. Do you have a broom?”

Junmyeon looks at his bleeding hand before answering with a nod. “In the kitchen.”

Not a minute later, Chanyeol returns by Junmyeon’s side with a broom and tissues. He ushers Junmyeon to the pipe near them so he can clean the bloodied cut. After the blood is almost gone, Chanyeol asks Junmyeon to wrap the tissue around them.

All this while, Junmyeon didn’t utter anymore word. He only nods then shakes his head when Chanyeol asked if it hurts. Once he is done aiding Junmyeon, he goes back to the shattered glasses to clear them off from the pathway.

While sweeping the floor, Chanyeol heard the first sob that comes from Junmyeon’s mouth. He looks back to see the blond having his face buried into his hands. Chanyeol gulps as he is at lost whether to comfort the latter or pretends to not hear him. Latter sounds appropriate so he continues to sweep the floor.

It was only when he is done with the cleaning that Junmyeon suddenly croaks out an apology. “I’m sorry.” The smaller man’s voice sounded hoarse. “You had to clean it up for me.”

Chanyeol immediately shakes his hand. “No, it’s not a big deal. If you need anything, you can ask me for help. I’m just next door.” He’s not sure if that was the right response because suddenly Junmyeon’s sobs got louder. “…Or you don’t need it. It’s fine!”

“No. No. I mean thank you, Chanyeol.” Junmyeon mutters, trying to breathe calmly again. “Sorry, you must be startled. I didn’t mean to cry in front of you.”

It’s not Junmyeon’s crying that startled him. It’s when Junmyeon was stubborn to clean the mess himself that he ended up hurting himself. Even when Chanyeol is already there, Junmyeon still refused his help.

When Chanyeol didn’t say anything, Junmyeon takes this sign to continue. “Pathetic, aren’t I? Can’t even bring a glass to water the plants without making a mess.”

Ahh, so that was what he was doing. It must have been hard for him to carry a glass in one hand and trying to push the wheels on the other.

Again, Chanyeol didn’t know what to answer so instead he wordlessly takes another glass from the kitchen then fills it in with water. He looks around to find the plants that Junmyeon was talking about then he spots one near the windowsill. “That one?” Chanyeol points to it.

It takes a second before Junmyeon wipes all his tears and mumbles a soft ‘yeah’.

He went back and forth from the pipe to the pots to feed them water. His last step was to put the glass back in the kitchen but Junmyeon manages to tug Chanyeol’s pants before he could have done so. “You’ve helped plenty. I feel like I should repay you.” Junmyeon takes the glass from Chanyeol’s hand.

Their fingers brushed and Chanyeol didn’t know why he paid so much attention at how pretty Junmyeon’s hands are. Shaking his head, Chanyeol must have been out of his mind to even think about it at this time.

The blonde wheels himself pass Chanyeol as the taller’s feet unconsciously follows suit. “How about let us have dinner together? At your house.” Chanyeol suggests. Since his parents insist him to befriend with Junmyeon, then this could be the first step. Plus, leaving his neighbour like this doesn’t feel right.

Junmyeon frowns. “I… Still am not used to cooking in this state.”

The face that Junmyeon made instantly makes Chanyeol regret asking it. He should have known, damn it! “I’ll help you!” he says in a heartbeat. “We can cook together.”

The other still has the guilt written on his face but nevertheless, he beckons Chanyeol to come into the house. Chanyeol sighs because he’s not sure what to do if Junmyeon starts crying again. He’s relieved when Junmyeon gave him a grateful smile instead.

“Okay.” Junmyeon mutters softly. “I’ll make sure to make something delicious.”

It’s no pressure, he wanted to say. But Chanyeol couldn’t refuse a good meal, could he?

 

Preparing dinner wasn’t awkward. Neither when they were filing their bellies. As he expected, he did most of the talking. That’s just how it is with everyone but what’s nice is that Junmyeon isn’t as quiet as he expected. Sometimes his eyes brighten at the topic that he likes. His eyes too would crinkle into crescent moons when he smiles.

The only problem is that it didn’t last long. As if he could feel any emotion in this world but in the end, the frown would catch up to him. Chanyeol wanted to ask this but he might be overstepping his boundaries. He knew Junmyeon wasn’t fine from the first day so he really would want to avoid pushing any unnecessary buttons.

But still, he was curious.

Very curious.

That’s how it is with Junmyeon for a few following nights. Chanyeol had taken a liking to visit Junmyeon’s house after work. He really wasn’t lying when he said it’s much better eating with someone as compared to eating alone. He would text Junmyeon before coming by, questioning whether should they cook or Chanyeol will bring dinner home.

Furthermore, being with Junmyeon is plenty of enjoyable. He’s almost like the opposite of Chanyeol but it was nice being around him. Junmyeon didn’t have to say much and Chanyeol finds comfort when he sees Junmyeon after a long day at work.

But one day, Junmyeon didn’t reply to his text messages. He didn’t answer his calls either.

Chanyeol runs home as fast as he can, not caring about anyone on his way. When he calls Junmyeon outside of his house, he waited a few seconds and no one replied. His worry rises when he had knocked repeatedly and the voice that usually would be half-yelling and half-laughing, telling him to be patient, never came.

Chanyeol knew something was wrong.

He never learned how to pick a lock. Maybe he should have paid attention when Miya from 5th grade taught him. So his only hope was just to knock the door down, though he doubts he could. He was stretching his limbs to actually do so but then he remembers.

Junmyeon’s window.

Chanyeol sprint to the direction of Junmyeon’s room and thankfully, Junmyeon’s casement window was slightly opened. Of course. How can he forget that Junmyeon likes to open them in the morning because he said his room is a little small and stuffy?

He peeks inside the window and Junmyeon is still nowhere to be found. Without much thought, he climbs through the window effortlessly then heads outside to look for Junmyeon. It doesn’t require much effort because Junmyeon is just there, lying on the sofa with a pillow covering his face.

Junmyeon’s chest is still moving and Chanyeol lets out a deep breath of relief.

Chanyeol moves the wheelchair aside before he kneels by the sofa. Gently, he removes the pillow from Junmyeon’s face. Anyone who sees Junmyeon still body would think he is asleep so Chanyeol is definitely taken aback when Junmyeon has his eyes weakly opened while tear stains are visible on his face.

“Junmyeon?”

The blond male only blinks, making a new drop of tear falls out from the corner of his eye. His nose is still red and Chanyeol feels the jab in his heart when he sees the way Junmyeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter