The thorn

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6.5k words

 

Before today, Sehun tried to do as much work as he can from home. Well, Junmyeon’s home in this case.

He did.

But it’s nothing compared to what he had been doing before he took his ‘break’. Instead, stepping into his office again made him realize who he is before he went to Rafflesia Town to meet Junmyeon. Now that he is back in the city, he is still the same person who got admitted into hospital twice because of overworked.

He gets “Welcome back” wishes whenever his colleagues see him. It’s only just 2 weeks that he went away but he got used to being low profile very quickly. What can he say? He really prefers not to stand out as much as his siblings do. Quite inevitable considering he comes from a well-known family.

After the 3 hours of a long meeting, Sehun sags in his seat because something tells him that he will be away longer than he promised Junmyeon. Damn it. He misses Junmyeon already. Checking his phone, Junmyeon hasn’t been replying to his text. He tried calling Junmyeon’s phone but no one picked it up.

Many insecure thoughts are swirling in Sehun’s head. He can’t help it. What if Junmyeon decides to backtrack from his words? Not like Junmyeon promised him anything solid but he hopes the promise they made meant something.

He’s too busy staring at his phone that he didn’t hear the knock on his door. However, Yixing would always barge in after the bare minimum of two knocks. “You’re back early.” The dimpled guy makes his way to the chair in front of Sehun.

“In the end, work always finds its way to catch up to me.” Sehun sighs as he leans back. Being in one of the top positions in the company really has its perks. That includes having people questioning your credibility to obtain such a high position in a short amount of time. True, him being a Wu played an important role but his subordinates knew exactly why he is deserving such position. “Thank you for being my eyes and ears while I’m not around.”

“Nah, man. It’s my duty. How about you? With little blonde beauty.”

Blonde Beauty? Hey, Sehun kind of likes the ring of that. Junmyeon is very fitting of that. “It’s progressing. Gradually progressing. When I think about it, it’s only been 2 weeks.” By how Junmyeon is with him now, it should be more than enough than what Sehun had hoped for.”

Yixing chuckles. “Boy, aren’t you whipped?” All those days Yixing spent time hoping for a miracle that Sehun would be able to find Junmyeon, he almost thought Sehun would eventually give up. Although this is just Yixing’s hunch, but he thinks Sehun’s workaholic attribute has something to do with Junmyeon as well. Maybe just a tiny percentage of it.

He thought maybe Sehun busied himself to the point of sickness is so that he could distract himself from the thought of Junmyeon. Then again, it might just because it’s Wu Sehun. Who works extra hard to prove to other people who doubt his leadership skills.

“Speaking of Junmyeon, have you talked to any of the Wus about this?” Yixing asks.

Sehun shakes his head. Nothing good probably will come out of it if he confronts them about Junmyeon. A part of him wants to ask his family especially his dad about a lot of stuff relating to Junmyeon but he couldn’t. He can’t let anyone knows about him sneakily meeting Junmyeon. Especially Victoria and Kris. “Now’s not a good time. I like Junmyeon to be off their radar until Junmyeon himself is ready.”

“Well, about that.” Yixing hesitates before adding. “You might want to do something about that. You see, your sister is already on the move.”

Sehun feels the hair on the back of his neck stands. “She’s what? You mean…”

“Yes, I mean exactly that. Just two days ago my wife and I met her and you know what she did? She gave me those eyes.”

Oh no. Sehun definitely gets what Yixing means by “the eyes”. It’s the unchallenged glare, stare, scowl, dirty look and more that would intimidate any living person. “No way.” Sehun gulps.

“Lord, I have not felt fear like that since I watch my wife giving birth. She gave me that stinky eye like ‘I know you plotting something.’ She even asks me whether I know where Junmyeon lives.”

Sehun’s fingers tap against the table as he can’t shake off the fear that his sister possibly knowing it all. “What did you say then?”

“I said no of course! But you know nothing goes above your sister’s head. She could see through me instantly.”

This is trouble. It’s not that Sehun is scared to face Victoria’s wrath. That isn’t exactly new to him. But if Victoria ever tries to reach Junmyeon, then it’ll be bad news for Junmyeon. Sehun knows how hostile Victoria can be towards the person she hates. He’s not about to let Victoria come any closer to Junmyeon.

“I’m just saying. Before things get worse, it’s better to knock some sense to your sister, don’t you think?” Yixing continues, worry evident in his speech. After all, Junmyeon was also Yixing’s friend.

Yixing is not wrong. Maybe Sehun could at least come clean that he is has been meeting Junmyeon. Furthermore, it’s not that surprising if he does. His sister knew very well that Sehun had been searching for Junmyeon whereabouts all this while. Actually, his family members knew.

His family would understand. Junmyeon was part of the family. Sehun is sure his family wouldn’t against it. Maybe.

He just wishes if anything happens in the future, Junmyeon wouldn’t be taking the end of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun hated having to land here anytime soon. Not that he hated his family, never. Just, the idea that his family has actually known what Junmyeon went through behind his back and not saying anything when Sehun was at his worst 2 years ago really felt like a slap.

Still, when his mother invited him to the family’s house, he can’t really say no. Especially when his mother is very excited to hear his days during the break. Defeated, Sehun releases a sigh before stepping into the dining hall. “I’m home.” He announces as he pulls the chair beside his mother. Adjacent to him, Victoria is not so subtly giving him looks.

“You’re just in time! Bora!” His mother calls for the maid. Speaking of Bora, he’s not sure if she is aware of his stay at Junmyeon’s house. For all he knows, Junmyeon could have told her. But the way Bora acts indifferent suggests that she might not know of that detail. “Oh Sehun, you don’t know how happy I am when your sister told me that you agreed to take two weeks off. Also, you didn’t tell us where you were going.”

“Oh, do tell us, little brother.” Victoria scorns, clasping her hands together. “I’m sure there’s so much to tell.”

Sehun almost chokes on the shrimp. “Yeah, about that…” Now Sehun really doesn’t doubt Yixing’s warning. His sister is really suspecting him of something. “The fewer people who knew where I was, the better.” He hopes that is enough from any further inspections.

Or so he thought. “Of course. So where were you this past two weeks?” His mother looks at him expectantly. Seems like his mother won’t quit unless Sehun answers something. Obviously, or not he wouldn’t be here.

“Uh well, here and there,” He glances to his sister who has her brows raised in suspicion. “Koh Rong. You know Koh Rong, right?”

His mother then fell into aw as she reminisces her time when she went to Cambodia during her trip with her actor and actress friends. It’s basically the truth since Sehun did go to Koh Rong. Although it wasn’t for two weeks, but his family didn’t need to know that yet. Thank God that his answer is passable.

Strangely enough, it is also passable for his sister.

It’s Sehun’s turn to feel suspicious because Victoria isn’t asking any question to him. She went back to her dinner as his mother bombard him with more questions about Koh Rong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning, Sehun greets Vivi as usual before he heads out to work. Ever since yesterday, he wanted to talk to Bora and Jaejoong about Junmyeon but with eyes around the house, Sehun can’t bring himself to approach the couple.

Now, with everyone still busy with their breakfast, Sehun finds the married couple in the kitchen as Bora serves his husband his morning tea.

“Sehun! Will you be going with us later?” Jaejoong asks him with a smile. He always does.

Sehun shakes his head. “I brought my car yesterday so, no. I just wanted to ask some questions.” The way Bora and Jaejoong instantly glance at each other didn’t go unnoticed by Sehun. Perhaps… they knew after all. “Junmyeon told you two, didn’t he?”

It was Jaejoong who nods. “He did, of course. I mean, we knew you would eventually find him, but it was still shocking that you also knew exactly where he lived.”

“That doesn’t matter. What matters is that if your family finds out, they will be outrage, Sehun.” Bora’s eyes that went slightly vivid cool down to sadder ones. “And I can’t bear any more insults towards my son. So please, Sehun. Don’t be reckless.”

No, I won’t. He too wouldn’t want to hurt Junmyeon and their relationship that took a lot to build. “Trust me, Bora. I won’t. I’ll protect him this time.”

“From what exactly?” All three of them got startled when Victoria suddenly enters the kitchen with crossed arms. “From Me? The family? You got the nerve to paint me and our family as the villains, Wu Sehun.”

If eyes could kill, Victoria would be number one with a bullet. Confrontation with Victoria is inevitable but he really hoped when that happened, it would be just the two of them. Particularly not with Junmyeon’s parents around. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

Before the argument gets thicker with venom, Sehun excuses Bora and Jaejoong from the kitchen. Victoria watches the two leave hastily before she turns to her little brother again. “You know, you’ve always been the odd one in the family. But I never thought you would become a traitor.”

“Oh stop being dramatic, sis. I met with Junmyeon so what? How is that betraying my family?” Sehun retorts. “He was our friend. Our family.”

“He framed your brother!” Victoria shouts. “He made the whole nation went nuts, painting your brother as a cheater! Even after the truth was out, the damage had been done and he had to go through to build his reputation again! Did you forget about that, Wu Sehun?”

By this time, his parents have already overheard the shouting and enter the scene. His mother is scolding them for fighting early in the morning while his father tries to scold them with his eyes.

On the other hand, it’s good that everyone is in the kitchen now. Sehun can finally come clean and obtain some answers. “Yes, Junmyeon was a part of that but he did pay the price with his legs, didn’t he?”

Sehun scans everyone’s faces and just like he feared, everyone is surprised but not because of Junmyeon’s condition, but because Sehun found out. He can’t especially miss the guilt in his parents’ eyes. “I guess I was the only who didn’t know, huh? You knew how depressed I was! I literally cried to sleep! You were there Mama when I cried. How could none of you tell me?!”

“Honey, please calm down.” Mrs. Wu is almost at the edge of crying. “We just thought it was for the best.”

Victoria groans. “Oh boohoo, it’s because we know exactly that you would run to him the minute you know the traitor lost his legs.”

“Victoria!” His father warns her.

“What? It’s true. And then our little Sehun right here went honeymooning at Koh Rong for a week behind our back with Blondie Joonie, didn’t he?”

How the was she able to dig that? The horror on his mother’s face turns to confusion as she looks at Sehun for answers. When Sehun didn’t reply, his parents turn to Victoria again. “How is that possible?”

“Since he said he went to Koh Rong, I ought to figure out if he was lying. So I went ahead and gave a call to the only family friend who owns a business there. And what do you know, I obtain way more information than I expected.”

Sehun wishes that Victoria would just stop talking. It’s better for Sehun himself to tell his family but unfortunately, his sister wouldn’t let him utter anything. “Sis—”

“Chen told me that he went to Koh Rong a week ago and he brought along 3 people. One of them is in a wheelchair. Need I to elaborate on what his hair color ing is?”

“Okay, enough!” Sehun yells, startling everyone including the married couple that is discreetly hiding behind the kitchen’s back door. “I did, so what? You all knew how I feel about Junmyeon. If you want to be strangers with Junmyeon, I don’t care but don’t stop me from giving him a second chance.”

Victoria purposely grunts loudly as she rolls her eyes. “He’s manipulating you!”

“You don’t know him.” Sehun hisses. “None of you do, so stop telling me what I should and should not do.” The brown-haired male didn’t want to prolong this upsetting conversation any longer so he storms out of the kitchen. Before he exits the main door, Sehun hears Victoria calming his mother down.

“Let him go, Ma. He cares about the damn traitor more than his own family.”

Sehun wants to counter but he knows getting into a fight with Victoria means no end until one of them walks away. And she was never the one to lift her foot first.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the middle of driving in anger, his phone beeps indicating someone just texted him. He swipes open, thinking it was an email from work only for the heat in his heart to immediately put off as he reads the message from Junmyeon.

“I’m here now, Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He promised a week. But it’s not two weeks later that Sehun can actually have the weekend off completely. He apologizes to Junmyeon repeatedly through texts which the latter said that he doesn’t mind and that he understands. Sehun knows that Junmyeon does, but Sehun is really apologetic that he couldn’t keep his words.

In the two weeks, Sehun and Junmyeon practically text each other every day. To be more precise, every night. In the day, he could only manage just a few exchanges of text before burying his face completely in work. Immediately after he is back in his apartment, he would text Junmyeon again until he falls asleep. Some days when he doesn’t look too exhausted, he video-calls Junmyeon but it’s only been 3 times.

Still, being able to see Junmyeon even through phone relieves just a little bit of his longing towards Junmyeon.

And now that he has arrived at the airport, he inhales the familiar air and quickly finds the cab that’s holding his name.

It’s half-past three. Junmyeon told him that Chanyeol won’t be home until his shift ends. Turns out Chanyeol is still having dinner and sleeping in Junmyeon’s house which is totally fine since they already have the talk.

He can see Junmyeon’s house and his excitement skyrocketed as he wastes no time to sprint to the house after giving the driver the fare. When he opens the door, everything is just the way it was. The tables, the coats, the figurines, the smell of the cookies, and most importantly, the man that is sitting on his usual place with a One Piece

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter