Reunion

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5.4k words 

 

Staring at himself through the reflection of the window, his hair is going to reach his shoulders at any moment now. But Junmyeon quite likes it when his hair is long. It's when he ties half of his hair up, his bangs doesn't get in the way of his eyes. Plus, Junmyeon's hair gave up at all the wax he used before on his hair. He's gotten rid of it for a good cause.

Chanyeol's loud yawn catches his attention when the later stretches himself from his good sleep. It's already dark outside which means Chanyeol is going to be late if he does not move now. Junmyeon places Chanyeol's usual coffee on the table, not too bitter, not too sweet either. Just as he likes it. “Chanyeol, it's almost time.”

“It's okay,” the taller waves him off. “A few minutes late won't harm anyone.”

“The boss is too nice. Or too old.”

“Either way, I won't get fired. Customers love me.” Chanyeol boasts. Although it’s the truth, Junmyeon can't help but make a puking noise to offend the latter. “Whatever. You need to leave before you spread your narcissistic dust all over my floor.”

Of course, the more disturbed Junmyeon is, the more playful Chanyeol gets, so he pretends like he's blowing dusts all over the floor.

But Junmyeon was right. If Chanyeol doesn't move now, he's going to be even later than he is usually. “I'm leaving my One Piece manga here okay!” He reminds Junmyeon as he is exiting the door.

Shaking his head, this is the 5th manga that Chanyeol has left in his house. Picking up the comic, Junmyeon places it in the cabinet where he organized Chanyeol's manga in one place. He wouldn't say that Chanyeol spent most of his time at Junmyeon's house more than he did with his own house, but that could also be the case. Chanyeol's company is comforting.

But soon, Chanyeol will have his own life. For now, yes, Junmyeon is Chanyeol's priority. He too doesn't understand why. However, it's only a matter of time before Chanyeol asks Baekhyun out and eventually, he can't always be there for Junmyeon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Night part of the day is where Junmyeon spends his time just sitting in the living room. He usually doesn't get up from the sofa until it's time to hit the bed. It's not like he did much during the day either but at least he has the flowers to take care outside which Junmyeon is sure that winter had killed them. Other than that, it's either the TV or Chanyeol's manga.

But a life like this can be boring. Junmyeon misses the days when he can stroll outside when his house gets too suffocating. Or when he can freely tag Kris along to his practices. Junmyeon misses those time when he had everything. When he can see his future wasn't as bleak as right now.

Despite not having faith in the future, Junmyeon thinks this is fine. As long as he keeps living like this, secluded from the rest of the world, it's probably for the best.

In the end, Junmyeon decides to fold his clothes while tuning to Kris’ latest album. By far this is Junmyeon's favourite album of his. Others were great but his recent album has a lot of songs about family love and Junmyeon guesses that Kris hiatus has something to do with building a family. His heart feels warm whenever he thinks about creating his own family. But it'll then dissipates into worry.

Just as Kris was about to hit the high note, suddenly the music stops and the screen shows that Chanyeol is calling. Not thinking much, Junmyeon swipes up and put the phone against his ear. “Hello?”

“Junmyeon. Are you alone right now?” He can hear the worry lies in between Chanyeol's voice. “Of course I am. Who else would I be with?”

“Oh good good. I thought that Wu Sehun guy reached your house already.”

Junmyeon swears the time stops for a moment. Out of the blue, he feels panic arising at the mention of someone who he should not even think of associating with. “Chanyeol, how...how did you know that name?” He is stuttering. Badly.

“Junmyeon. Is everything alright?”

“Where did you heard that name?” Junmyeon repeats but he can feel his voice getting weaker and weaker.

The line goes silent for a moment before Chanyeol speaks up again. “Apparently, according to Baekhyun, the guy stopped by the bar to ask for directions. Because Baekhyun recognizes the address is similar to my house, he assumes it was your place considering there's only 2 houses that's around the area.”

Oh my God.

He's coming here. That means he's going to arrive at his home any moment now.

No. Sehun can't see him like this. His eyes land on his wheelchair and his blood runs cold. “Junmyeon? Are you sure everything is alright?”

“Has it been long since he left?”

“Who? That Wu Sehun guy?”

Junmyeon hears another faint voice talking to Chanyeol. He assumes it is Baekhyun. “Baek said around… 10 minutes?”

“.” Junmyeon curses under his breath. His house from the bar takes 20 minutes of walk. 10 by car. He needs to do something. “Junmyeon! I need you tell me what's happening right now! Who is Wu Sehun?”

He has no time. Junmyeon can't delay any more time. Without explanation, he bids Chanyeol goodbye before tossing his phone to the side. Sehun is going to arrive sooner or later. He need to avoid this.

Can he even avoid this?

Junmyeon moves himself onto his wheelchair and he almost tumbles with how messy his movement is. Chanyeol always have a habit where he often forgets to lock the door after he leaves so Junmyeon was about to head to the door until he remembers that this morning the locksmith should've come to fix the lock on their door but it was cancelled last minute.

Oh .

Even if he pretends that he's not in the house, he is 100% sure that Sehun would find his way.

He thinks and thinks of what should he do and Junmyeon comes to a conclusion that he really can't avoid Sehun. Not when he knows where Junmyeon lives. It'll be a matter of time until Sehun asks around again for him.

Heaving out a long sigh. He needs to chase him away.

Junmyeon is running out of time because there's a sound of a car engine outside of the house. He didn't need to look outside to know who. Immediately, Junmyeon rolls himself to his bedroom. Firstly, he needs to hide his wheelchair and because of that, Junmyeon braces himself using all his upper body strength to leap forward until he falls off harshly from the wheelchair.

His wrist is throbbing but he has no seconds to spare so Junmyeon drags himself across the floor until he's at the sofa where he sat. Taking a few breaths, what's the function of his two legs if they're just going to make Junmyeon's life harder? Maybe he should've just chop them off if he could.

Knock Knock.

“Hello?”

Junmyeon's head spins so fast at the direction of his door. The knocks come again and Junmyeon can't be mistaken of that voice. Suddenly, he manage to find his strength in midst of fright as he climbs on the sofa. Thank the heavens that the furniture in this house are specially made to be shorter than every usual furniture. It makes it easier for a handicap like him. He ignores the ringing on his phone and puts a blanket on his legs.

“I'm coming in!”

Junmyeon braces himself at the possibilities of Sehun's reaction. He watches the door slowly opened revealing a brown haired male with a large build and Junmyeon gasps quietly at the man who is now staring at him bewilderedly.

“Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You. Are. The. Worst. Little. Brother. Ever!” Sehun had to pull the phone away from his ear in fear of any damage to his eardrum. “I even had my bags packed!”

Considering that his ‘break' is also a supposedly sibling-bonding time, Sehun feels guilty that he had actually boarded the flight before even telling anyone. “So you're not going to tell me where you at?”

“I'm going somewhere quiet and very... downtown. You won't even last for a week, sis.” Sehun chuckles, eyes roaming outside the windows where there are barely any lamps on the street. He can count the amount of streetlamps that he has passed with his fingers. Thank God, he stumbled across an old man who is willing to send him to his destination. Hailing a cab in this small town is harder than he thought. “I don't understand why you're not going to a real attraction places. But you've always been the weird one among us.”

“I take that as a compliment. Anyways, I have to go. I'm arriving at my destination.”

“Which is...”

“It's a secret~” he chirps. “This way none of you guys can bother me.”

The old man turns right after the three junction and a few seconds later, two houses can be seen in front of him. To be more precise, two very small houses. It's only a one story building and the size of it is almost just the size of a farm house.

He sees no cars. Just a small lawn. Is this really where Junmyeon lives? It's too small even for someone who is easy going like Sehun. One of the houses were pitch dark and another has lights on and he nods when the old man said that the house with the light is the one he is looking for. “I'll talk to you in two weeks, sis. Take care.”

After hanging up, he offers a tip for the old man to which he refuses at first but Sehun always has his way with someone's soft spot. He bid him goodbye before turning back to the tiny house. How can Junmyeon live here? He remembers how Junmyeon had such a fine taste and he wouldn't settle for anything less. A perfectionist sometimes.

As the distance of him and the front door becomes smaller, Sehun’s breaths become shorter. Reluctantly lifting his fist, he's been waiting for 48 months for this person so there's no room to cower.

The first three set of knocks come in and there's no answer. He did it again and still, there's no answer. Not even when he yelled ‘Hello’ loudly. Glancing at the door knob, should he just barge in? Won't that be disrespectful? But the truth is Sehun doesn't have any other choice because one, the night is freezing and two, he really has nowhere to go. Not even a car at least.

Carefully, he turns the door knob and makes his way inside. He is surprised that even from the entrance door, he can already see the kitchen and the living room. And then...

The blond head.

“Sehun.” He hears the gentle voice calling him. It's a 2 years’ worth of reunion and Junmyeon doesn't look any different. Except for the hair which he had expected. Other than that, he is still as beautiful as Sehun remembers. Or even more beautiful.

“I've finally found you.”

Junmyeon tries not to stare at Sehun for too long. 2 years isn't a long time but he thinks Sehun has grown even taller. Or maybe Junmyeon has become shorter which is possible in many ways. “You did.” Junmyeon replies, positioning himself to be more comfortable on the sofa. “You sure don't give up, do you?”

“You're not someone I can just wipe away, Junmyeon.” Sehun says without wavering. The way Sehun means every word makes Junmyeon frown because Junmyeon wished he didn’t. He wouldn't feel hurt like this.

“Even Kris has forgotten all about me, how come you haven't?”

Sehun places his luggage near the coat stand and Junmyeon's eyes panic when the younger walks closer to him. “I doubt he did.” There's a seat near the heater and Junmyeon ushers Sehun to sit there. He notices Sehun looks like he could use a warm bath but at the same time, Sehun needs to sit further away from him. “I'm sure Bora told you that I'll be coming sooner or later. I've never really given up on you.”

Junmyeon's frown deepens. “Why?”

“Hmm?”

“Why do you insist on looking for me? Now that you're here, what's next?”

There's a visible silence in between them. Whether Sehun is thinking of the answer, or he is hiding his answer, Junmyeon doesn't know. He never figures out the quiet Wu Sehun. The taller was never like his brother or sister who were loud about their thoughts. He was always the pearl in the shell that Junmyeon has to make Sehun open up to him to discover the colour of Wu Sehun.

“Can't you be more welcoming to me?” Sehun fiddles with his fingers.

Now Junmyeon actually feels guilty. He's been known that Sehun kept asking his parents about his whereabouts. Funny thing is that his bestfriend acts like he is a taboo topic but Kris’ brother was the one who still remembers that they all grew up together. “I'm sorry.” Junmyeon apologizes. “I'm...just afraid.”

“Of what?”

If only Sehun know how long it took for Junmyeon to accept the turning of his fate. If only Sehun knew j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter