2 years

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7.4k words

 

Slowly, the snow on the road starts to melt away, signalling the end of winter. For Junmyeon, it marks the end of one hell of a season. Winter was the hardest for him. Other than his low tolerance of cold, Chanyeol has to make sure that he doesn't get stuck in the pile of snow. And Junmyeon hates that he has to be dependent on Chanyeol most of the winter.

But now, he doesn't have to worry as much. After 2 years of being half human and half wheels, Junmyeon learns how to cope with his disability. And that wasn't by forcing anyone to help him. God, no. He’s paraplegic but the last thing he wanted was to burden someone with what it seems to be his mistake once upon a time.

But it's fine now. 24 months was a long time to learn how to love himself. He's getting there.

Just not quite there yet.

Yesterday was a nightmare to sleep. Not sure why but he was awfully awake at his usual sleeping hours, resulting him getting just 3 hours of sleep. These days, Junmyeon gets exhausted easily. Especially around his arms. Maybe he should start building muscles around them again.

Since he woke up earlier than he usually does, Chanyeol isn't there to greet him in the living room. The tall man would always wait for him at his wooden coffee table with a cup of tea for Junmyeon while coffee for himself.

Chanyeol, the son of his parents’ best friends, also happens to live just next door. He's too energetic even in mornings and with Junmyeon’s bleak life, Chanyeol was like the happy virus that he didn't know he needed it. Junmyeon knows that secretly his parents have been sending his neighbours food baskets in return of Chanyeol taking care of him. Although Chanyeol’s presence made Junmyeon's life much easier, it took a week of Chanyeol’s absence for Junmyeon to realize that he has to be independent on his own.

He puts down two cups on the counter when the door creaks open, revealing a tall brunet with permed long bangs covering his forehead. Not noticing his presence, the giant keeps whistling on how the snow has melted outside until he finds Junmyeon waving in the kitchen. “Awww man. I wanted to surprise you today!”

Junmyeon reaches for the sugar in one of the drawers. “It's too early for surprises, Chanyeol.”

“Well yeah, but you don't usually wake up in another hour so...” Chanyeol shrugs, removing his coat to hang it on the coat stand. “I wanted to cook something nice for you today.”

Junmyeon raises his eyebrow. Chanyeol do usually help him at cooking but only on rare occasions that he does all the preparing for their meal. Except when he has something to celebrate or when he feels guilty about something. “You have some news for me, don't you?”

“What?! No.” Chanyeol denies far too exaggerated for it to pass as the truth. He then sits on the stool opposite of Junmyeon. “Can't we have a normal lunch prepared by me?”

“Suit yourself, Chanyeol.” Junmyeon turns to the water dispenser for hot water. Chanyeol would have helped Junmyeon to make his own coffee if it weren't for Junmyeon’s displeasure. The blond male hated when someone interrupts him. Chanyeol knows better than to make Junmyeon feel like he can't do anything without a second person.

“But if you're going to cook lunch, we need to go out. We're short of ingredients to cook anything actually.”

“Okay!” Chanyeol hops off the stool. “I'll go get your coat.”

But Junmyeon wheels to him carefully, carrying the tray on his lap before Chanyeol could do so. “Drink your coffee first. I'll get it on my own.”

Chanyeol watches Junmyeon leaves and his tiny back reminds him of why Chanyeol vows to protect Junmyeon.

 

 

2 years ago, the small house that was vacant for so long suddenly was full of noise. Chanyeol spotted his parents talking to a couple and judging from how loud they were laughing, they're probably close friends. He was on his way to be a polite neighbour and greets his parents' friends until his eyes caught a glimpse of a man around his age, sitting on a wheelchair near the fences. The man had a pot resting in between his palms and a blanket draped over his lower half.

Figured that maybe talking to someone his age is easier, he waddled his way across the garden to the man on the wheelchair. “The town is not that far.” Chanyeol said the first thing that came into his mind.

When his new neighbour turned to him, Chanyeol paused at the distant-looking eyes. It wasn’t the first time for Chanyeol to see such sorrow eyes. Working in a bar, he has met with tons of people. Rich, poor, people with love problems, money problems. And the man in front of him isn’t any different. “I'm Chanyeol by the way! Your new neighbour.” He offered his right hand out.

The other stared at his hand curiously before reluctantly accepted the handshake. “Junmyeon.” He said timidly.

“So, let me guess. Daisies? No, Orchids?” Chanyeol pointed to Junmyeon’s lap where only just a tiny sprout seeking from the soil in the small pot. “Or is it something boring like roses?”

Junmyeon raised his eyebrow before looking back at his plant. He didn’t know what made him think that he could grow a plant, but this is the least he could do to make himself useful. At least that’s what he thinks. “Marigolds.” Junmeon replied, caressing the edges of the brown pot.

“Marigolds? That’s interesting. They are pretty. Like the Sun, you know.”

Rather than appearance wise, when Junmyeon went to florist, he asked for a flower than fits his situation. No, he wouldn’t get roses which its’ meaning are all of those qualities that he isn’t. He wouldn’t get Chrysanthemum which embodies cheerfulness. He chooses Marigold, for what it means.

Despair.

“So,” Chanyeol whistled when he sensed that this Junmyeon guy won’t be replying him any further. “What made you move to the smallest town possible in this state?” He's pretty sure that Rafflesia isn't the smallest town in his country but it's barely even there on the map. With a population barely 3,100. It's the perfect place to find yourself here. “Which is it? Peace? Or Hiding?”

The first hint of smile decorated Junmyeon's face. Although Chanyeol can see through it that the smile is indeed not a sincere one. “Both.” Junmyeon responded. Even his tone seemed like it weighed a lot of meaning behind it.

“You're not the type to converse a lot, aren't you?”

“Not recently.” Junmyeon answered. “I was much more...” he paused, as if he is searching for the right word. “...fortunate.”

“Are you not now?”

To this, Junmyeon let out a bitter laugh. Chanyeol took note on his cute round teeth and how Junmyeon's cheeks are like peaches when he laughs. “Chanyeol, you're naive, aren't you?” He asked back.

“Not really,” Chanyeol leaned his back on the white fence. “I'm just awfully optimistic.”

Junmyeon stayed silent for a while as his gaze not leaving Chanyeol. The way this brunet’s smile didn’t falter ever since he arrived amazed him. Maybe he is an optimistic person after all. “I could use some of your energy.” He sighed while his fingers traced circles on his own knee.

“You don’t happen to be punishing yourself, right?” Chanyeol thought he can understand just a little of Junmyeon's agenda even without much details. He’s seen people doing it a few times. Perks of working in a bar.

“And if I am?” Junmyeon peeked curiously.

Chanyeol offered him a bigger smile before walking behind Junmyeon. The smaller flinched when he felt his wheelchair moving. “Then Welcome to Rafflesia Town. Where you will be at your redemption arc.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Chanyeol?”

He was brought back to present when Junmyeon appears from his bedroom door, already wearing his coat and red scarf. It was safe to say that Chanyeol has grown fond of the blond male and he vows to give Junmyeon the absolute best that he can for him to be safe and happy.

Even if it meant making Junmyeon's house his second home.

That’s actually a bonus.

“I'm here.” Chanyeol grins, getting behind Junmyeon. “Let's go.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Standing in front of the mirror, Sehun cuffs the button of his sleeves before straighten up his vest. His maids had already prepared his shoe and his coat so all that is left is... He crouches down, calling for his baby until a cute little nose peeks out from the bathroom door. “Vivi! Daddy's going to work now.” In a blink of an eye, the bicon frise runs to him and Sehun's hand. “Okay, okay. Be a good boy until I return.”

Downstairs, everyone waited for the youngest Wu to sit for breakfast and judging from how his mother's smile falters upon seeing his clothes, Sehun has it coming. “Why are you wearing that?” His mother gently casts her spoon aside.

“I have work, Mama.”

“You just got back from the hospital. Don't be ridiculous, son.” Scolds his father.

Letting out a sigh, Sehun scans the table before pulling his chair. He lets the maid pour him a bowl of pumpkin porridge. “What's the occasion?” There are more crowds than usual in his parents’ house.

“Mama called yesterday. We were worried sick about you.” Victoria, his sister, hands him a paper bag. Sehun doesn’t have to peek inside to know that his sister had bought some vitamins and some healthy drink sachets. She always does whenever one of them gets sick.

“The doctor said it was exhaustion. Nothing more. I'm sure there are more reasons as to why we are together here.”

“Actually, I called everyone to gather here.” The soft-spoken voice chirps and even if he had a blind fold on, Sehun would know instantly that the voice belongs to no other than Luhan. “Kris and I have been thinking about something.” The honey blond male takes his brother's hand into his. Sehun didn't forget to glance at the gold band on their fingers.

“Now that Kris is on break from his idol activities. And we have been thinking about what Mama said. So… we decide it’s time to have a baby!”

The table roars with encouragement as Victoria immediately leaves her chair to hug the daylights out of Luhan. They are told that both them are searching for a surrogate mother and hoping for the best in their future. Sehun congratulates both of them for their next step on building a family.

He truly is happy for them. Especially Luhan who sometimes tells him how he yearns to be a father. But Kris is a known person. Their whole family are, so it's hard for Kris to really settle down.

He didn't know why but suddenly his brain plays a memory of a certain blond male who is brushing Sehun’s hair as the younger lays his head on the other's thighs. He remembers that they were watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians when Junmyeon suddenly blurted out. “Do you sometimes feel like you can't wait to be a father?”

Sehun's eyes left the television to glance up at his friend. Sehun was 17 so, how can he answer that? “Do you?” He asked back instead.

“A lot.” Junmyeon answered with a dreamy smile on his face. “But it's too early to even imagine, don't you think?”

Sehun shrugged. He tugged Junmyeon's hand which was on his hair to his forehead instead. “Just last week we celebrated your 20th birthday.”

The older shook his head at Sehun's spoiled behaviour but he nevertheless, he massaged the younger’s forehead. “You're right. I still have a long way to go.”

Sehun hummed while he listened to Junmyeon's rambles about how he's going to get married one day, then wow his guests by dancing with his life partner and then have kids of his own. Sehun learned that he really loves to hear Junmyeon speaking about the future because Junmyeon sounded like he was on cloud nine just thinking about it.

Whatever happens in the future, Sehun hoped Junmyeon would achieve all of his dreams. Just like how he is eager to have them come true.

 

But back to reality. Can Junmyeon still achieve those things? Wherever Junmyeon is right now, can he still be happy after what happened 2 years ago? There are so many questions about Junmyeon that Sehun desperately wants to find out but he remembers that he has to forget them. Looking at his family laughing and cheering loudly, why was it easy for them to forget Junmyeon?

Especially Kris when he was supposed to be Junmyeon's best friend. But then again, it was always Junmyeon who tails behind Kris whenever he can.

“If there's nothing else, I'll be heading to work now.” Sehun stands up, leaving his untouched pumpkin porridge.

The laughter dies as everyone's eyes are on him. “Sehun.” Victoria warns him. If it was years ago, he would've succumb immediately to his sister's stern voice.

“Look, there's a pile of work that I have to do. You understand right, Baba?” He pleads to his father. The others wouldn't understand him because none of them actually buries themselves in the office like he does. Except for his father who is still the Chairman of the company.

Ignoring his wife sending alarming signals with her eyes, as a businessman like his son, Sehun is right. The company won't run on its own when the two Wus who are in charge are simply taking their time with their breakfast. “Let's go together then.”

Thank God, Sehun internally exclaims.

Just then, Sehun sees Bora taking a tray of breakfast and heads out to the porch. Again, he excuses himself and chases the maid.

At one of the tables in the front yard, Bora is massaging his driver's, shoulders as the latter takes a sip on his drink. Just like any other married couple, Bora carries her duty as the wife and Sehun remembers how it was never just the two of them. Junmyeon was supposed to be there having breakfast with his parents.

Sehun jogs to them and upon noticing the young master, Jaejoong is immediately on his feet. “Good morning, Sehun.” It's a pity that as Sehun grows older, his workers’ speech became more and more formal. He still remembers the days when he would cling to Bora when she cooks and play hide-and-seek with Jaejoong.

But sometimes, things change whether you like it or not.

“Having breakfast, I see.” Sehun gestures Jaejoong to sit down and continue with his breakfast.

“Of course.” Bora chirps, cutting the remains of yesterday's chocolate cake when his family welcomed him home from the hospital. “Although this old man has not been eating much this lately.”

“Why is that?”

“My stomach had been feeling unwell in these past few days. But it's getting better.”

Sehun frowns. “Oh. Did Baba give you any day off?”

“He did, don't worry.” Jaejoong assures him.

At the back of Sehun’s mind, he really wants to straight up ask about Junmyeon's whereabouts again. It won’t be the first time, in fact, the couple is probably tired of the question. But Sehun thinks one day he'll get lucky and gets an answer in return. “Does Junmyeon know about your stomach?”

That shall do.

Already used to it, Bora ignores the question as she feeds Sehun a spoonful of cake. Sehun is still like Bora's second son after all. “Hmm taste good.”

“You didn't eat any yesterday?”

Shaking his head, he wipes the mess on his lips with the tissues given by Jaejoong. “Didn't feel like it.”

“There's more in the fridge. I’ll pack a few slices for you to eat at work.” Bora says as she picks up the tray behind.

“Thanks.”

When his maid is finally unseen, Jaejoong chuckles as he takes another nip of his drink. “You know you'll get nothing from her.”

“Today’s mark another unlucky day.” Sehun waits for his driver to provide him even just a little detail about Junmyeon. Jaejoong always does.

Breathing a sigh, Jaejoong puts his cup down as he looks straight to Sehun. “He's fine. Just like always. He sent a picture of him yesterday. His hair is already covering his eyes.”

“Not getting any haircut?”

“He likes it that way.”

“Oh...” Sehun ponders. Junmyeon has always been the neat model student like. Well, appearance wise only. The way he dressed was always like he is going to an in-laws dinner. Just like how Sehun would wear his hair up to work, that's how Junmyeon's daily hair would be like. “Then, he must have looked really pretty with it. He wouldn't change a style that he isn't comfortable with.”

“Indeed.”

Unlike Bora, Jaejoong is thankful that the questions about Junmyeon kept coming. Sehun knows that despite being sworn to secrecy, Jaejoong doesn’t want his son to be forgotten by the Wus. At least by one person. If only Jaejoong would tell him where Junmyeon is but that would mean he is going against Junmyeon's wish. “I'll find him one day.” Sehun declares just like the many times he did to Jaejoong and Bora.

“He won't be too happy when you do.” Jaejoong says, picking up his gloves to leave when he spots Victoria heading towards them. Sehun didn't need to turn around. Only Victoria would wear such noisy heels.

“Why does the conversation always end when I arrive?” She sits at the spot where Jaejoong sat previously. “You ate the cake?”

“I did.” Sehun answers blatantly. He's not really in the mood to be his sister's prey such early in the morning.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter