Epilogue

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7.7k words

 

~ Ding dong ~

"Announcement to students. This is Jiyong, the representative from the student council. I would like to wish a Happy Christmas to all students of SM Academy. Always be careful of the snow but most importantly, enjoy yourself this holiday. Again, Merry Christmas from us student body."

~ Ding dong ~

 

 

 

 

It's finally the holiday season. She's been waiting for this day. Has she mentioned that Christmas is her favourite holiday season? It's also the time when she can reunite with her family after going through mock tests and quizzes.

"Are you done packing?" Her roommate comes back with two cans of banana milk in her hands. "They were giving out these in the hallways."

"Actually. I'm quite already done."

"Lucky!" Her roommate hoots as she extends one can to her. "As usual, you're fast, Wendy."

When it comes to going back home, of course, she's always in a hurry. Pulling off the scrunchie from her hair, she lets her now long hair down. It’s been a while since she had a haircut. Never was fond of long hair. She thinks she fits best with short hair. Almost everybody thinks so. "My ride will be here at any moment. When are you leaving, Rania?"

"Me? Probably tonight. The girl's football team wants to have a meeting before leaving."

"Well, that ." Wendy says as she zips her luggage.

Now that she's done, all that is left now is to change her clothes and wait for a call from her driver that's going to pick her up. "Be careful though. I expect that this building would be empty by then."

"Nah I won't be alone. That Kwon kid is there. Besides, a lot of people would wait until two days after because they also have somewhat farewell with the alumni and—uh what are you doing?" Rania questions when she sees her struggling friend trying to retrieve something from her top-shelf. "Alright. Let me help.”

"Thanks.” Wendy takes a step back from the table. “There's a small pouch up there."

Bless Rania’s tall genes. She is even munching on a carrot while she fetches it for Wendy. "That's cute." Rania notes, nudging to the maroon coloured mini pouch with a star sewn in the middle.

"Right!" Wendy beams. She had sewn it herself in one of her aunt’s sewing class for beginners. As she tilts it upside down, onto her palm falls a silver accessory.

"A bracelet?"

"Nope," Wendy shakes her head before going down on one knee. "An anklet."

"Ooo~ it's pretty!"

After fastening it around her ankle, Wendy stands up, making a jiggle with her foot. How I miss the way it jingles.

"When did you buy that?"

"My father gave it to me when I had just started middle school." Wendy explains. It's understandable that Rania wouldn't know about it since she'd actually just transferred here 2 months ago. Wendy had kept it in the pouch because she didn't want to lose it while she's swimming. It happened before and thank God the janitor founded it in time before she manages to tell her father. "This was actually his."

"Ah, a passed down gift. I bet this is like a treasure for you."

Speaking about her father, Wendy smiles sadly. God, she misses him so much. She remembers how this beautiful silver anklet would wrap around his ankle and Wendy as a toddler would always play with it, even chewing it that she accidentally bites her father’s leg.

"A treasure by a gem himself.” She mutters unconsciously.

Sensing that Rania is looking at her oddly, she offers her roommate to see her family picture. She grabs her bag before rummages through it to find her wallet. Once she does, she reveals the picture that she keeps in it. "Here are my dads."

"Oh, they're your dads! I saw this picture by chance once and I thought this was your brother." Rania points at her Papa.

Wendy makes a disgusted face. Her father is not that young. If she tells this to him, for sure her father wouldn't shut up about it. Going back to the picture, she points to the brown-haired man who is bending down. "This tall one here is Papa." The man looks rather dashing while he has his arms on the person next to him.

"Wow, I swear he could pass as a model. How about him?" Rania jerks her chin to the other man.

"Ah... That’s my Dad..." Wendy smiles, her finger goes to brush against the picture. He is the man who is the pillar of her life. A star. A treasure. No matter how many times Wendy had seen this picture, she is still amazed at how similar her parents look then and now. Like they hadn’t even aged a year. And then there she is, sitting on her Dad's lap while she kisses him on the cheek.

Wendy remembers hazily about this day. She was probably 4 when this picture was taken. She was supposed to stand in front of Sehun but she insisted to sit on her father's lap.

Hence, this beautiful picture was taken. Her favourite picture of them.

"He's really pretty." Rania says in awe.

Wendy nods in agreement. "He really is. The prettiest man."

The way Wendy is staring longingly at the picture, especially at the blond man, got Rania very curious as to why her friend is smiling but her eyes seem so glum. "You must have really loved your dad."

"You think?" She chuckles, putting her wallet away on her bed.

"But Wendy, why do you look so sad?"

Wendy freezes at the question. Was it too obvious? She didn't think Rania would see through her considering she's been trying to put up a smile when mentioning her Dad. "It’s nothing." Wendy answers. Actually, she could have just told her but Wendy doesn't feel like burdening her roommate with her story. "I just miss him. That's all." She glances down her feet.

"Terribly."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Good evening, Miss Wendy. Slow down! You're going to—"

Oof. The man feels his stomach being engulfed into a hug.

Wendy did almost fall because she was sprinting to greet her driver. It’s been almost 2 months since she last saw him. "PB!" She yells, tightening her hold on the old man.

"Why Miss Wendy, how I miss being addressed like that." Not like there are many people in the household but only Wendy calls him PB. That's because both of them have one thing in common which is neither of them could live without a peanut butter sandwich. When PB first reveals his favourite flavour was peanut butter, Wendy instantly gifts him a new nickname that is used exclusively by the girl.

"Come on, let’s head home. Your Papa got home early today." Wendy nods before she lets PB carries her luggage to the boot.

Once inside the car, Wendy can finally take a sigh of relief. "Now, that's more like it." She says, feeling the heat in the car hugging her comfortably. Just like her Dad, Wendy has a low tolerance for cold. But still, she likes winter the most.

"So, Wendy. How was school?" PB interrogates while he's driving.

The snow falling through the car window looks rather beautiful. Surprisingly, the snow came early this year. "It was okay, I guess."

Wendy loves her school. SM Academy is a sports school recommended by her aunt. It was everything Wendy wanted in a school since her forte is swimming. Except for one...

It takes 3 hours from her house to the campus. Other kids seem to be happy that they're away from their parents. Mostly the strict parents’ kids. But she guesses that she grew up much attached to her family. The distance still hurts especially when she’s in a rough time.

"It’s good to hear that. Christmas is coming, yeah? Aren't you excited?"

Instead of excitement like every year, Wendy glimpses down to her right foot. She couldn't see her anklet but nevertheless, she puffs out a sigh. "I'll spend my Christmas missing Dad again." Leaning her head on the window, Wendy wishes this year would be different. "Hey PB." Wendy calls him again after a minute of silence. "Can we stop by the cemetery?"

"Oh… sure. Shouldn't you tell your Papa first?"

"He probably knows." Wendy shrugs but still, she fishes out her phone. After notifying her Papa, she resumes back staring outside the window.

"I want to see Dad."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They arrive at the cemetery. PB waits in the car while Wendy leaves to enter the building. She knows all too well the walls and where to find her way to the columbarium niche. But Wendy has never liked this place.

On her way, she manages to buy a stem of a blue rose. She would always buy blue flowers. Blue or violet since her Dad likes violet. Smelling the flowers, with her light steps, she makes her way to meet her important person. When she arrives at the niche, she's not at all surprised to see a blue rose placed at the side already.

Clasping her palms together, she pays her respect as she is supposed to. Just beside the gold urn, there's a picture frame. Wendy bitterly smiles as she reflects the beautiful grin in the picture.

"Wendy?" A voice calls behind her. It was a man’s voice. Apparently, the man had just exited from the restroom before he noticed the familiar We Bare Bears bag pack.

Hearing the familiar voice, she knew her hunch is always right. It's as she expected. Turning around, her previous smile turns wider when she spots the person she's been missing so much.

"Hey, Dad." She greets almost teary-eyed before running to the man in the wheelchair to give him a tight hug. “I knew you would be here.”

The blond man slowly pats her head. "Did you come to pay respect to your mother?"

Wendy clicks her tongue. "Duh what else? But I'm also here to see you so we can go home together."

Junmyeon is amazed. "How did you know I'll be here? I didn't tell your Papa I was here."

"What kind of daughter would I be if I can't predict my Dad's usual ritual before Christmas?" Wendy laughs then proceeds to swing the man in her arms from side to side. "It's been so long since I got home. I hate the academy."

"No, you don't. You love that place." Junmyeon chuckles.

"But I couldn't go home as often as I want." She pouts, releasing her father then standing straight. "Say, Dad. Let's go window shopping before we go home."

"Hah! Pretty sure that's why you want to go home together. You know your father is waiting for you at home."

Wendy groans. "Please~ Let's call Papa so we can have dinner outside. He's weak when it comes to you."

Junmyeon is taken aback. "He is not... weak when it comes to me."

"Uhh yes, he is. Okay, let's go!" She chirps. They were about to exit the room until Wendy is reminded to do something. "Hold up! I have one last thing to say to Mommy.”

She turns her heels and goes back to her mother's urn. Again, she brings her hands together and closes her eyes. "Mommy, I want to thank you for giving me to Dad and Papa. I know there’s a lot of broken family but thanks to you, I'm living my life with full of love from two such loveable people."

Wendy knows about her adoption and how it went. Junmyeon had told her about the story where Junmyeon believes that her mother, Ga-in had entrusted him to take care of her. If that is true, Wendy is eternally grateful to her mother.

She flutters her eyes open to see the picture again. Her mother has such beautiful crescent eyes when she smiles. Her teeth were also perfect. There weren't many stories told about her biological mother but Dad has never failed to remind her of how much her mother loves her.

And Wendy believes him.

"Merry Christmas." She says one last time before following Junmyeon out of the room.

She walks alongside Junmyeon who doesn't need any push with his wheelchair. He rarely needs any help. Sometimes when Wendy feels mischievous, she would sit on his lap and wait for her father to move.

"Did you get here by PB?"

Wendy nods. "Yeah. But he went home already since we saw your car in the parking lot."

"I see. You should've told me you were coming here. Imagine how surprised I was."

"That's the purpose! Anyways, I want to spend time with you as much as I can before having to go to Japan." She frowns.

The change in tone doesn't go unnoticed by Junmyeon. "Hey, why are you frowning? You're going skiing in Japan for Christmas this year. Shouldn't you be excited?"

"I think I would've appreciated more if you're coming with us." Wendy exasperates.

Ever since Sehun had told her about their Christmas plan this year, Wendy keeps thinking about Christmas in sad thoughts. She didn't even get to celebrate Christmas with his Dad last year because it was her turn to celebrate Christmas at the Wu mansion.

Of course, she knows all about it. Why whenever they visit Sehun's side of the family, Junmyeon is never to follow. It is only on very super rare occasions that she can see all of them together in one event but still, Wendy can count with her fingers the interactions they have throughout her life.

Although she understands it, but Christmas never felt complete without her Dad. It felt like that last year so this year she really looked forward to spending Christmas with her Dad's family, only for it to be canceled. "Can't I stay here? It was your turn anyway."

"Don't say that. You know Papa would be lonely without you."

"Won't you be lonely without me?" She crouches in front of Junmyeon.

"Of course I would." The blond fixes her earmuffs. "But you know this trip is to cheer your grandfather since he's not feeling well. They need you there, okay?"

"I know. I know." Wendy murmurs. Still, she can't shake this sad feeling off her chest. "I want to celebrate with everyone altogether. Grandma, you, and auntie and uncle. All in one place."

There's not a day where Junmyeon doesn't feel guilty about this. It was his mistake after all that had led to this. "Maybe one day." He tries to console her.

She's been holding for that 'one day' ever since she was 5. That was his father's response every time. But what can they do about it? Wendy could only wish that 'one day' will come sooner.

"I'm sorry, sweetie." Junmyeon says guiltily to which Wendy shakes his head. "It's okay. Let's go meet Papa."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They wait by the fountain at the famous park. By now, there's no water at the fountain. Just ice. Wendy taps her feet, synchronizing to the rhythm of the music they are currently playing out loud. The cold has her cuddling close to Junmyeon as they wait for Sehun.

One may think she favours her Dad more than her Papa. Okay, maybe she misses Junmyeon much more but that’s because she used to do literally everything with her Dad. But the one who spoiled Wendy the most is definitely her Papa. All it takes for Wendy is just to pout and enlarge her eyes while looking like a kicked puppy. That would knock out Sehun already.

Speaking of which, where is he?

It's cold and she's staaaaaaarviing~

"Hah. It's about time." Junmyeon says, rubbing his two palms together.

Wendy didn't understand what he meant until Junmyeon nudges to the direction opposite them. The minute she spots the familiar brown coat, Wendy dashes straight to the direction of Sehun and practically leaps onto him. "Papa!"

Usually, anyone would be startled when someone suddenly jumps on you but it's a habit of Wendy when she sees him after a long time. Thus, Sehun wasn't fazed one bit as he readily catches Wendy in his arms and carries her. "Oh Lord, how much did they feed you in that academy?" Sehun groans playfully.

"Ha? But I'm losing weight though?" She confessed while hugging her father.

Sehun then changes his words. "Then why aren't you eating, my princess?"

"Just kidding! I'm still the same!"

Wendy doesn't mind if everyone is staring at them. She is the type of person who is very open when it comes to affection with her family. That was something that even her friends envied her for it.

"Did you grow an inch?" Sehun squints after putting Wendy down on her feet. He could've sworn that Wendy’s height was below his chest. Now she's already on his chest level.

Wendy grins. She's usually the shortest among her groups so hearing that, it's a boost to her confidence. "Probably. Come on! I'm hungry! Dad?" Wendy turns around looking for Junmyeon.

Junmyeon approaches them with a smile. It's good to have his family complete after a few months. The house gets so quiet when Wendy isn't around.

"Let's go," Wendy reaches out her hand to Junmyeon which the latter shakes his head before taking it. She does the same with Sehun.

Ahh it's so good to be back with her family! The three of them walked together under the falling snow. It's definitely below 20 degrees now, however, the warmth radiating from her parents is enough to be her blanket.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All I want for Christmas is you~

 

Wendy ends her singing with a bow while the living room erupts into a group of cheers and claps. "Thank you. Thank you." She says shyly before running to hide behind her uncle.

"See! I told you she's a great singer!" Kris gushes, giving Wendy a standing ovation.

Every Christmas, after opening the presents, her Uncle Kris would perform one Christmas song. But suddenly out of the blue, Wendy was asked to be the one singing in front of everyone. They reasoned that Wendy has a good voice whenever she would hum to songs randomly. Still, she had never sung in front of a crowd before so it's making her ears red.

"Now, you're just lying." Wendy continues to shrink behind Luhan.

Luhan pats her head. "Really. If Kris says so, that means you are."

Ahh, what to do with these flattering comments? Should she stop swimming and becomes a singer instead?

But then again, no way! Her heart lies in swimming.

Now with Christmas dinner done, present opening done, it's desserts time! Yeri, her cousin always makes the best ginger cookies and muffins. Though other than that, her Grandma takes the cake. Yeri would always bring them out after everything is over and when everyone is casually chilling by the fireplace.

While munching down the cookie, Wendy looks around. Everyone seems like they are having a good time. She was worried about her grandfather's health but after seeing how he's barking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter