Baby Steps

Find A Way

Yongsun did not know how it happened but Byul was hugging her back, it maybe not as tight but she'll take it. 

"Uhm unnie?" She heard Byul's low voice close to her ear which made her held onto her tighter.

It felt good to hug the younger girl again after such a long time. When she found out that her best friend had left, she lost all hope that she'll ever see her again. Yongsun tried her best to find out where the family moved but no one knew where they'd gone. She also tried Byul's phone but she guessed the girl changed her number too. 

Is this what they call fate? She thought.

"Yongsun unnie, I think Byul unnie needs air." Wheein's voice was filled with mirth and the girl was instantly backed up by her best friend.

"She's turning blue." Agreed Hyejin and they both snicker as the eldest hurriedly let go of the rapper.

"I'm so sorry Byul-ah! Are you okay?"

"It's fine unnie," 

Unnie! she called me unnie again! This really isn't a dream!

"No harm done."

She kept standing there in the middle of the room, just watching her childhood friend in front of her. That was until she heard the maknaes clear their throat and got her out of her daze. 

"Sooooo since we're all back together," Hjeyin moved towards her leader and held on to Yongsun's shoulders, "what do you say we skip practice?"

"Yeah! Leggo come on!" Their second youngest was hyped and kept on jumping around the room trying to get their leader to agree to the idea but Yongsun knew that they'll get in trouble with the CEO if they did that.

"You know we can't guys, we'll get in trouble if we skip out now." The leader tried to reason with the two but they weren't having it. She looked to the side and saw Byul smiling throughout the scene and when she turned to meet her eyes, the younger girl just shrugged. "Byul can you come and help me with these two?" 

"But unnie," she started, "I suddenly want to go and eat tteokbokki."

"Wait what?!"

After hearing this, the maknae line immediately went and hugged the older girl. 

"It's three against one Yong unnie!"

"It's decided! Let's go and eat!"

Yongsun was at a loss of what to do. Of course she wanted them to hang out and relax after what happened but she also knows they can't. What surprised her the most though was Byul's response and the way she said it. There wasn't any bite to it, like she was trying to get under her skin or anything, it was teasing more than anything and Yonsung had to keep looking her way to make sure that she wasn't imagining it. Byul was still standing off to the side but with an amused smile and the leader felt her heart swell at the sight.

Their fun got interrupted when all of a sudden she heard another voice in the room and all of them stood at attention.

Crap! This was what I was trying to avoid.

"What's with all the noise?" In the midst of them goofing around they didn't notice that their CEO had entered the room until it was too late. "Yongsun, I expected you to meet me in my office when you got here but instead..."

"I'm sorry CEO Kim," all heads turned to the Byulyi's direction when she spoke, successfully cutting off their CEO's rant. "Yongsun unnie wanted to come meet you right away but I suggested that we should practice first since I wasn't around much last week. I'm sorry."

Byul lowered her head and bowed while all of them waited for what was to come next. They expected to be scolded by their CEO but instead they heard him laugh which made Yongsun frown and stare at him in confusion.

"Ah Byulyi you're back!" he exclaimed and went directly to her side making the rapper stand up. "No, no, no that's alright. No need to apologize. I just wanted to talk to Yongsun, see if she talked to you but it looks like everything's fine now."

Yongsun saw how his whole demeanor changed when he heard Byul's voice. Gone was his irritated scowl and was instantly replaced with a smile that Yongsun believes would split the mans face if he doesn't stop anytime soon. He was hovering on the silver haired girl, trying to make sure that she's really back and that he wouldn't lose his rapper again. 

It was a really funny situation if you ask her; seeing their mighty CEO go all soft and mushy over Byulyi, Yongsun just couldn't help but let out a snicker at the sight she's seeing. 

I think Byul-ah has him wrapped around her fingers. She thought as she laughed at the idea. 

"Alright then," she snapped out of it when the singer heard their CEO yell happily. "I won't take any more of your time. Enjoy your day ladies and Yongsun?" The quickly put on the most professional face she could and held her breath. "Good work."

It took about a couple of minutes after the door to their practice room shut close when they all burst out laughing. Yongsun didn't know why but she felt like all the burden she carried with her for years vanished; add that to the fact that Byul didn't seem so distant anymore plus her having to witness their CEO act towards the young rapper like a puppy is hilarious enough.

The singer let her eyes wander around the girls in the room with her and it made her smile more. Seeing all of them laughing together feels so right. It was like they were meant to be with each other and nowhere else. Hyejin's giggle that rarely comes out is in full sight while Wheein was throwing her head back in laughter, and Byul? Byul was laughing. 

I've missed your laugh.

She still didn't have the courage to say it out loud but she meant every word of it. She used to be the source of the other girls laughter all the time and she was determined to always protect that smile from now on. 

 


 

The day couldn't go any more perfect for Yongsun. They all worked flawlessly with each other so much better than before, it was like they have been together for years and she couldn't be happier. Once they finished for the day, the two maknaes begged for them to go and eat out as a celebration and the leader didn't have the heart to say no to two pouting faces. It didn't help that Byul sided with the two once again and so instead of going straight home they all went to a restaurant to get dinner. 

"I want crabs!"

"Wheenie, today's special so we can't just get crabs. I want gopchang!" 

The two have been arguing about what to eat for the past 5 minutes and it was hard for Yongsun not to get a headache. 

"What's so bad about crabs? You were craving for them yesterday."

"That was yesterday, today's different!" Their youngest countered while the puppy like girl frowned.

The four girls were walking along the streets of Seoul trying to look for a good restaurant but then came the argument of what to eat. She was fine with anything and by the looks of things so does Byul but the younger two seems to think otherwise.

Why does this two always ends up fighting over what to eat?

Yongsun knew that if she doesn't interfere they might end up with a fight on their hands. Before she could do anything though, Byul managed to stop the fight before it escalated.

"How about we get samgyeopsal? My treat."

At the mere mention of free food, the two immediately stopped bickering and cheered. The two young girls quickly ran, looking for a place to eat while leaving their unnies behind. 

All throughout the day Yongsun felt more relax with the rapper but it was different when it was just the two of them. They kept on walking ahead, making sure to keep an eye out for their dongsaengs quietly. It wasn't like the early days where it was awkward but more on a comfortable silence. The longer they walked though, the desire to talk to the girl beside her became stronger but she didn't know how to start a conversation with her. 

She was still coming up with conversation starters in her brain when she heard someone calling her name and tapped her shoulder. Turning around automatically, she saw it was Byul looking at her quizzically.

"Unnie you okay?" She asked with that low tone she was starting to get used to.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry."

The silver haired girl kept on looking at her and let out a sigh. "Unnie, when I said let's start again I meant it."

She was startled at that. 

"You don't have to act a certain way for me you know. It might take me a while to completely trust you again but that doesn't mean that you can't be yourself around me." Byul was staring straight at her now, not looking away and Yongsun could see the sincerity in her eyes.

"If you want to talk to me then do it, if you want to yell at me for being stubborn, and believe me I know I am, then yell." Yongsun let out a chuckle at that admission. "What I mean is, I'd rather have that than go back to what we were doing for the last month or so."

Yongsun couldn't believe the kind of person Byulyi turned out to be. Here she was, not only giving her a chance but she's also the one to give her a pep talk? She was at a loss for words and so she nodded her agreement. Both now smiling, they made their way through the streets again.

"Sooooo can I ask you a question?" She heard herself ask the younger girl.

"You just did unnie." 

"Mean." 

The rapper just let out a chuckle at that which she returned. 

"I just want to know," she stopped walking causing Byul to stop as well. "When you said you wanna start again, does that also mean being friends with me?" Yongsun hated the way her voice sounded so small. It never used to be like that but she doesn't know why her confidence dies out whenever she's around her.

She waited with bated breath for the other girl to respond. She prepared herself for whatever the answer Byul was going to give but she secretly hoped it would be positive. Yongsun was scared that her heart would pop out of her chest but soon it became filled with joy as she saw Byul's little smile and she knew the answer even before she opened .

"Yes unnie, I also meant that. But baby steps, okay?" 

The singer felt herself nodding vigorously at that which made Byul laugh. 

"Yeah baby steps! I can do that. No problem Byul-ah."

They were still in their little bubble when she felt arms wrapped around her neck, almost knocking her down on the ground and the unmistakable whining of their youngest in her ear. 

"Come on unnies, you have to walk faster. I'm hungry!"

"Hyejinie you're always hungry." the eldest protested while trying to get her maknae off but to no avail.

"Wheenie's hungry too." Pouted their second youngest and Yongsun knew there was no chance for her to win this one. 

"Byulyi's hungry as well," she quickly turned her attention to the rapper, noticing the little smirk she had on her face. "so you might want to hurry up unnie."

"Yah! Is this how it's going to be from now? You three ganging up on me?" Her tone came out playful but Yongsun knew, that right there and then she'd do anything for the three girls she's with tonight.