Finding Byul

Find A Way

Yongsun woke up the next morning with a headache. She slowly got up from her bed and looked at the other side of the room where Byulyi used to occupy. She sighed dejectedly knowing she had to do something to make it right. 

"If you keep beating yourelf up because of what happened before then you'll never move on unnie."

"What do you mean?"

"Go talk to Byulyi unnie again and this time really talk to her. Don't let either of your temper get in the way."

"But I did try talking to her, multiple times! It always ends in disaster."

"Look unnie the only way you can move on from this is if you clear things out with Byulyi unnie. Do you really want to end it with her like this? You regretted turning your back on her before right?" seeing Yongsun nod the maknae continued, "So try mending things one last time. If she still doesn't forgive you then at least you tried."

Her conversation with Hyejin came back to her and as she watched the empty bed Yongsun knew that she had to try again. 

I owe her that.

With a new found confidence she went out of her room to find Hyejin already dressed for the day. She looked around and frowned when she couldn't find the other maknae. She was about to ask where the other girl was but Hyejin was quick and said Wheein was still in their room. 

Byul isn't the only one I should be apologizing for. She thought gingerly.

Their morning routine was filled with unease, the normally loud and cheerful dorm was now silent and reserved. It was apparent that something was missing and they all know who it was but no one dared mention her name. The three girls silently made their way to their company with Wheein still avoiding Yongsun. She decided to give Wheein her space for now as to not put pressure on her but Yongsun made it her mission to make up with her within the day. As they drew closer to their building Yongsun was silently thinking of a plan to get in touch with Byulyi.

It became clear to Yongsun that her previous interactions with Byulyi was not how she pictured it should be. Considering the fact that they were both wary of each other, she didn't know much about Byul. Not her contact number, not where she lived, nothing.

I don't even know her number let alone how to find her.

Which brought her to their CEO's doorstep.

After arriving she sent her maknaes to their practise room while she made her way over to their CEO. He was the one who recruited Byulyi in the first place so he should know where Yongsun could find her. Gathering her courage Yongsun knocked on the door and went inside.

"Ah Yongsun I was about to call you. Have you talked to Byulyi already?"

"No CEO not yet."

"Why not? Didn't you talk to her yesterday? I sent you home earlier so you could do that."

"She wasn't at the dorm. When we arrived yesterday all her stuff was already gone and I didn't know where to find her. I was hoping that you might have her phone number or maybe an address that I can try."

She heard their CEO gave off an agitated growl and replied, "Her phone won't do us any good since it's still with your manager but you can try her last apartment or check that coffee shop she last worked on. I'll get you the address."

"Thank you CEO Kim."

"I trust that you can bring her back here Yongsun."

Yongsun swallowed the lump in upon hearing her CEO's words. She knew that that wasn't a request but an order and she wasn't sure of herself if she can really bring Byulyi back.

If she even wants to come back. 

She left the room in a hurry, her feet taking her towards where her members were while her mind was a thousand miles away. 

What if Byul's not in any of these address?

What if I can't find her? Wait, what if I do find her? What then? 

She'll probably slam the door in my face or refuse to see me.

You deserve it and you know it.

She'll hate me. 

She already hates you .

Great I'm talking to myself.

She was lost in thought that Yongsun didn't notice she was at their practice room until she walked right towards the closed door, slamming face first. 

"Oww that hurt." Yongsun took a step back from the force and rubbed her forehead.

"You okay there unnie?" Hyejin was standing by the door looking at her curiously.

"Yup I'm fine, don't worry."

The older girl came inside the room while still rubbing her forehead. 

"Did you get anywhere with the CEO?", asked the maknae.

"He gave me Byul's last address and where she worked before so I'm gonna go there this afternoon. See if she's there."

"Can we come?"

"I think it's better if I go alone. We don't know if she's there or not and if she is I don't think having us all there would help. I'll talk to her first."

Wheein was sitting quietly in the corner of the room but Yongsun saw her freeze when Byulyi's name was mentioned and she knew she had to talk to her now. She gestured for the door and Hyejin softly exited the room without being noticed by her best friend. Wheein still had her back turned against her and so Yongsun approached her cautiously. 

"Hey, can I sit here?"

A few seconds of silence greeted her which made Yongsun feel even more guilty in upsetting their angel. She was about to open to try and start the conversation when she saw Wheein nodding at her request. It didn't take long for the leader to take that chance and sat herself beside the quiet girl.

"Wheein-ah," she started, "I know you're mad at me because of yesterday. I yelled at you for no reason and I know it wasn't right. I'm sorry, can you forgive me? Please?"

"Is it my fault that Byul unnie left?"

To say Yongsun was shocked to hear the maknaes reply was an understatement. She tried thinking of any possible reason why the girl would think that way but she came up with nothing. 

"W-what? Why would you think that?"

"You were mad at us yesterday and I heard you two fighting when Hyejin and I left the room." Yongsun looked at the singer closely and saw that she was trying to hold back her sobs, "If you fought because of me I'm sorry unnie. I won't cling on Byulyi unnie anymore, I'll keep my distance if you want, I promise I won't bother her so much anymore so please make her come back."

Wheein was full on crying at that point and seeing the usually smilling girl sobbing had Yongsun at a loss. It's the first time that she saw the younger girl so distraught and she somehow wish Hyejin was there to help her but she isn't. And so she did what she thought would help ease the girl.

Yongsun immedietly pulled Wheein close, hugging her tightly, trying to soothe the crying girl. All this time she thought Wheein was upset with her but she was really blaming herself for Byulyi leaving the group. 

Why am I such a mess of a leader? 

"Wheein-ah it wasn't like that. I was the reason Byul left not you, so please don't cry." 

"B-but, b-but you and..."

"Sshhhhh like I said Byul left because of me." she gently cupped Wheein's face in her hands and looked at her eyes reassuringly, "I did something terrible to her in the past and now I'm paying for it. None of it is your fault okay?"

As she brought the young singer for a hug again she felt her arms wrap around her waist. Wheein's tears were soaking her shirt but she didn't move an inch, not wanting to break their moment. Yongsun continued rubbing circles on her dongsaengs back for comfort while saying reassuring words in her ears.

"I can't promise that I can bring her back because that would be up to her but I promise I'll try."

 


It was nearing six in the evening and Yongsun was standing in the cold night air outside a coffee shop for the past fifteen minutes trying to catch a glimpse of a silver haired rapper. She was able to send her dongsaengs home despite them wanting to come along. She reasoned they shouldn't crowd Byul this time so she'll have to go alone but in reality she just doesn't want them to be dissapointed if the rapper wasn't in any of the address they were given. 

Yongsun first went to the younger girl's previous address but she came up empty handed. Someone else was already living in the said apartment and the landlady of the building haven't heard of Byul since she moved out. It was disheartening to hear but she still had one more stop. She wasn't about to give up her search that easily. 

This lead to Yongsun's current position; her looking like a weirdo standing outside a cafe. 

Just go inside already! You can pretend to get some coffee or something and get out if she's not there.

"Do you wanna come inside miss? It's getting a little cold out."

Too focused on trying to look pass the window, Yongsun let out a shriek when she heard someone beside her talk.

Turning quickly she saw a girl wearing a white button up shirt with an apron around her waist. 

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

"No no no you didn't.. I wasn't...  well maybe a little... but it's fine!"

"Alright, well it's a lot warmer inside plus we have lots of warm coffee to choose from. Beats standing outside all night, don't you think?" The stranger gave a friendly smile and Yongsun couldn't help but give one back.

"Thank you but I'm not really looking for coffee tonight."

"Ahhh so you are looking for someone then."

"How did you...?"

"Nobody camps outside a coffee shop in the freezing night air for no reason. Plus you have this look on your face, your eyes kept darting around as if your looking for someone and I could see it all the way inside the cafe."

"Was I that obvious?"

"Just a little bit."

Yongsun bowed her head down shyly while chuckling to herself. 

"Well I've worked here for a while and I know all our regulars maybe I can help you, you look like you need one."

"No you don't have to do that! I don't want to trouble you."

"It's no trouble at all. Like I said you look like you need help so I'm helping. Who are you looking for anyway?" 

The girl then copied Yongsun's behavior earlier and was tying to look inside which put Yongsun at ease. Since I'm not getting anywhere by myself  I guess I can take her up on her offer. 

"Her name's Moon Byulyi." she stated, "She used to work here so I was wondering if she passed by at any chance."

That got the girls attention. She turned to look at Yongsun with a blank face, "Oh your looking for Byul!"

"You've seen her? Is she inside? Where is she? Can I see her? Please I need to see her." In her excitement Yongsun didn't notice the girl's demeanor changed.

"Why are you looking for her? Don't tell me your from that entertainment company." The girl had her arms crossed over her chest and was staring at Yongusn suspiciously.

"Well actually..."

"Sorry miss but I think my friend doesn't want anything to do with your company anymore."

As she turned away Yongsun quickly grabbed her arm to stop her from leaving pleading her to stay.

"Wait please I just need to talk to her! I am from the company but I'm part of the group she's with."

"If you're from the same group then you should know she quit yesterday."

"I know, I do know. I was the reason she quit."

The girl had her brows furrowed but didnt say anything, silently prompting Yongsun to continue.

"That's also one of the reasons why I need to talk to her. I have a lot to say and clear things out with her, I promise after this I won't bother her ever again I just really need to see her." 

She was met with silence and as she was about to give up hope about getting her help the girl let out a sigh.

"This is what I get for trying to be nice. Look miss I can't tell you where she is," yongsun looked dejected, " but I can relay your message."

"Really?"

"It's the best that I can do for now but yes."

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Yongsun was hugging the girl not caring that she's basically hugging a stranger at this point. All she knows is that she'll get her message to Byul.

"Don't thank me yet, if you've been around Byul this past month you know how stubborn that girl is. We don't know if she'll agree to meet you or not."

"I know but still, thank you for helping me." Letting go of the girl Yongsun gave her her biggest smile. 

"Let's hope she's in a better mood than she was yesterday. Anyway I need to get back to work, my breaks almost over. Goodluck miss."

"Yongsun. My names Yongsun."

"Minji." 

Minji went back inside with Yongsun feeling elated. She may not have found Byul but she did manage to send her message. 

Now the only thing I can do now is hope she'll listen.

 


 

Moonbyul was lying on the floor while watching TV when she heard the front door opened. It wasn't long before she saw her friend Minji enter the living room and sat on the couch, looking at her.

"What?"

"A girl came by the cafe earlier tonight."

Byulyi raised her eyebrows in question. It's not unusual for a girl to come into a cafe so she was confused as to why Minji brought it up.

"She said she was from that company that recruited you. Her name's Yongsun, ring any bells?"

Byul got up from the floor and glared at no one in particular. How the hell does she know where I  worked?

"She was asking about you, says she wants to talk."

"Did you tell her where I am?" She could feel her anger welling up again and tried to calm herself down. 

"No of course not." Byul let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. "I did say I'll tell you her message though. So I'm telling you now."

"You should've ignored her."

"She was standing outside the cafe, in the cold, trying to see if you were there! If I ignored her she would've froze to death."

Moonbyul kept shut hoping her friend would drop the topic but it was no use as Minji continued. 

"Look I don't know what happened that made you quit or what's the deal between you and that girl but clearly she wants to make it up to you. Why not give her a chance?"

She continued starring straight ahead and Minji know's that she won't be getting any answers from her friend any time soon and so she left her alone for the time being. 

The night passed by slowly for Byulyi. It wasn't like she was new to sleepless nights but this time felt different. Her thoughts were filled with a certain girl and it was driving her mad. She looked at the clock and noticed it was past ten in the evening and sighed. It was times like these that made her miss her family even more. She used to crawl her way to her parents bedroom and lie with them until she falls asleep but she's too old for that now. 

She finally gives up on sleep and carefully tiptoed out of the room Minji let her stayed in to go to the kitchen for some water. As she passed the living room she saw the home phone lying on the table. She cursed her own stupidity when she left without getting her phone back from the company. She doesn't have the energy to deal with the CEO again just to get her phone back which left her phoneless.

10:40 PM

They're probably sleeping now. 

10:41 PM

I don't want to disturb them.

10:50 PM

Loneliness won and Byulyi found herself picking up the phone, dialling that familiar number and tried to calm her beating heart. 

The phone rang once, twice, by the third time she was ready to hung up thinking they were already fast asleep but then she heard the voice that always calmed her down. 

"Hello?" Hearing her mother's voice at the end of the line made her tear up instantly.

"Mom?" Byul tried to contain her voice but it sounded tearful even to her ears.

"Byul-ah? Is that you? What's wrong honey?" The sleepy voice she first heard was gone now, replaced with worry in a matter of seconds.

"I just missed you. How's everyone?"

She heard shuffling in the background before her mother replied.

"We're all doing fine, it's you that I should be asking that. What's wrong?" 

"Nothing mom really. I just wanted to hear your voice that's all."

"Try again Byul. You're my daughter, I know you. So tell me what's wrong or I'm gonna be in Soul first thing tomorrow morning to get it out of you." Her mom would do it, she knows she will. Byulyi was starting to think calling home wasn't such a good idea but talking to her mom eases her and so she swallowed the lump in and decided to come clean. 

"You remember I told you about that entertainment company that wanted to recruit me right?"

"You told us you accepted being a trainee for them, yes. Did they do something to you?!"

"I saw Yongsun there. She's the leader of the group I'm in."

Byul worried that the line got cut off since she couldn't hear anything from her mother's end. 

Her family knew Yongsun well. She used to bring the girl around with her all the time and her parents treated the older girl like their own. They were all fond of Yongsun and knew how much she meant to Byul so when they found out what happened during their high school days all the compassion they had for the girl vanished. It all became too much for Byul and her family saw how it affected her, that was the reason why her father agreed to be relocated in the first place. To get her far away as possible from that toxic environment before it ate their daughter alive. 

The silence grew heavy but it came to an end when she heard her mom speak in that low tone she always had.

"Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"I didn't want you to worry about me."

"We'll always worry about you no matter how old you get, do you understand?"

Byulyi knows that but there's still something about hearing it directly that made her teary eyed. 

"I'm guessing it didn't end well." 

"I left the group yesterday." she said, "I couldn't do it mom, it hurts so much. I thought I was over it but I..." Byul promised herself not to cry for Yongsun anymore but she couldn't help it. Her tears flowed freely and she couldn't make it stop even if she wanted to.

Her mother consoled her as best she could over the phone. After all the times that she kept her emotions down, tried to be cold and aloof whenever Yongsun was around, when deep inside she wanted to run, it all came crashing down. Hearing her mother's caring voice made her feel safe again even if she's far away. She told her everything. From the first meeting, to Yongsun trying to make amends, their fight, her leaving the company, everything. It fel good to finally talk to someone about it, not hiding behind this cool mask that she always show but the vulnerable, insecure side of her that most people don't know about.

"Can I give you an advice?" she heard her mother say after she calmed down, "Hear her out."

"What?"

"Don't get me wrong Byul-ah, I still don't condone what she did but I think it would do you some good if you listen to what she has to say."

Byul was left speechless at that. Out of all the things she thought her mom would say, talking with Yongsun was not one of them.

"This may sound strange to you but maybe the reason why your hurt this badly is because deep down you still care for Yongsun, even for a little bit,"

I don't care about her anymore mom! You're wrong!

"and talking with her might help ease that pain."

No that's impossible.

"Talk to her Byul. I'm not saying you should forgive her, just talk to her. This is your chance to let your heart heal."

"I'll think about it." 

"We're always here for you our little star."

Water forgotten, the young rapper went back to her room and tried to get some sleep. Exhaustion caught up with her and as she was drifting off to sleep her mind kept replaying her mother's advice in her head.

I'll deal with it tomorrow. 

Moonbyul mentally said to herself and drifted off to slumber.


 

7:20 AM

Thirteen hours twenty minutes. 

Yongsun has been starring at the clock since she woke up that morning. She didn't get much sleep either because her dreams were filled with old memories, each one ended terribly and when she woke up for the third time she decided to just stay awake. 

Thank God it's Saturday. I don't think I can work in this state.

After coming to the cafe the leader went straight home where she was bombarded with questions from her dongsaengs asking about their missing member. The news wasn't all bad. She wasn't able to find Byul but she did manage to convince Minji to relay her message and hopefully she gets a positive response from the rapper. It was better than nothing and the maknaes seemed to agree with her.

7:22 AM

Thirteen hours twenty-two minutes.

Maybe I should've asked for Minji's number so I could call her. Waiting !

Her dongsaengs found her staring blankly at the clock a few hours later and conviced her to stop sulking. They dragged their unnie out of the dorm to get some food, Yongsun tried to refuse saying Byul could come by anytime but the two girls were persistent. 

They were only suppose to get breakfast but with the two younger girls it seemed impossible not to look around the city. In the end Yongsun ended up window shopping with them and while looking at their happy faces she thought they all needed this after the stressful week they had. 

It was nearing two o'clock when they finally came back. Yongsun went straight inside trying to check if there was any sign of Byulyi anywhere but their dorm was still empty. She was about to lie down on their couch when she noticed a red blinking light from their home phone indicating they have a voicemail.

Thinking it was their CEO nagging about Byul again she hit play with a little more force than necessary.

"Hey uhm.. it's me Byulyi." 

Yongsun almost leapt in her haste to hear the rest of the message. 

"I got your message from Minji last night. I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I'll be at Han River by five today."

The message ended but Yongsun still had her eyes glued on the phone, asking herself if the message was actually real. She went to play it again just to make sure and after the second time she was certain it wasn't a dream.