Trouble Brewing

Find A Way

Yongsun was woken up by the sound of her alarm clock the next day. She fumbled to turn the annoying sound off and got out of bed, still half asleep trying to find the door and get some coffee. In her half-awake state she forgot about the new additions in the room; namely the second bed, and as she was searching blindly for the door she tripped and fell on the bed.

“Ompf, w-what the…?”

“Owwww… why the hell is there a bed in here?”

“That would be because of me.”

She heard a low voice groaned and Yongsun realized that she was lying on top of someone instead of a bed. She looked up from her position and confirmed her theory that the voice did belong to one Moon Byulyi. Yongsun was half on top of the girl and their faces were so close to each other that Yongsun could smell Byulyi’s shampoo from last night.

“Yongsun? Could you get off me now?”

“Byul-ah! I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to- well- I uhm..” She quickly got up and backed away from the bed’s occupant still mumbling to herself.

Slowly Byulyi got up and ran her fingers through her hair which Yongsun found entrancing.

How can a girl be this handsome so early in the morning?

Wait what? What the hell am I thinking? She shook herself away from those thoughts and left the room in a hurry not noticing Byulyi’s eyes following her.

Stupid Yongsun! How could you forget that you were sharing the room with her?

She was still berating herself for being so clumsy until she got to the kitchen where she got the coffee maker ready hoping the caffeine would take her mind of her roommate. As she was waiting for the coffee to be ready her mind went back to what happened just minutes ago.

I guess she works out now huh? I know I felt her arm flexed when I held it while standing up. She brought her hands to her face and blushed when she thought about having her hands on Byulyi’s stomach.

I wonder if she has abs.

“Morning unnie.”

 Yongsun let out a surprised shriek and turned around to see the maknae staring at her amusedly.

“Oh Hyejin you scared me.”

Their youngest chuckled clearly used to her unnie by now. She started opening the cupboards and taking out ingredients to start cooking breakfast. Despite being the youngest out of them, Hyejin is the only one who can cook and so she was given free lane when it comes to their food.

As she watched Hyejin prepare breakfast she thought of how the events from last night went and it brought a smile to her face. Like Byulyi mentioned before she did came out to the other two about her uality and said that she wouldn’t take it against them if they were uncomfortable with it. She was even willing to talk to their company about living in another dorm but before she could throw another idea out the two girls hugged her.

The unexpected hug stopped Byulyi’s rambling and as the two let go they assured her that they don’t have problems with her being gay.

“We don’t care about that unnie. You’re still our Byulyi unnie no matter who you chose to love.”

“That’s right! Nothing will change that and I know we just met today but if anyone tries to bully you because of who you are then I’ll send Hyejin to kick their assess!”

Yongsun could see how surprised Byul was from the reactions she got which made Yongsun think of what the other girl went through after they separated ways. What kind of reaction was she used to that had her speechless just by being accepted right away by people who she just met.

It made her want to get close to Byul even more and she hopes that one of these days she’ll be able to call Byulyi her friend again.

Then the dreaded topic came when they were about ready for bed. Wheein asked where she was from and Yongun held her breath.

“I was born in Gangseo-gu but my family moved to Bucheon when I was fourteen. I stayed there until I graduated before coming here.”

“Yongsun unnie is from Gangseo-gu! You have the same hometown.”

“Small world right unnie?”  

“Uhmm yeah, small world.”

Yongsun got even more anxious when the girls found out Byul and her attended the same school. Fortunately for her the two believed their lie about the school being so big that they never met throughout their stay.

It was a good thing that the topic was dropped after that and they all went to bed a few minutes later.

“Unnie do you know if Byulyi unnie likes pancakes?”

“Pancakes sounds good.”

Before Yongsun could answer Byulyi entered the kitchen wearing dark pants and a simple white vneck shirt. She sat opposite to Yongsun while smiling at their maknae.

“Unnie your awake! Good morning!”

The silver haired girl greeted her in reply and the two chatted while Yongsun sat in silence, observing them. To say that she was a bit jealous of their growing bond was an understatement.  Every time Byul smiled to any of the girls Yongsun was wishing she would get a smile too but she knows it won’t happen, at least not now.

When Wheein joined them in the kitchen Hyejin had just finished making pancakes and so they had their first breakfast together. All the members were eating quite well but Yongsun noticed Byul wasn’t eating much and was only able to finish one serving.

Maybe she doesn’t eat much during breakfast, yeah some people do that.

 

 

An hour later the four girls got to their dance studio to start practicing. They already have a set prepared for their monthly evaluation but having a fourth member added to the group, Yongsun knows they have to adjust it and add Byul's part somehow.

"Alright so since this will be the first time you'll be joining the practice session, I need to know what range you can sing so we can incorporate it to our set. You can sing any song you want." 

"I don't sing." 

Yongson was setting up the sound system when Byul's reply stopped her movements. She must be messing with me, why join an idol group if you don't sing? Plus I know you can sing so why are you being stubborn Byul-ah. 

Turning around she questioned the said girl. "What do you mean you don't sing?" 

"I'm a rapper not a vocalist. I rap. CEO Kim mentioned it yesterday." 

He did? Crap I really need to start paying attention from now on. 

"Oh well, uhm that's great but we don't have any rap parts in the set though."

"What song did you choose for the evaluation? I usually write my own raps so if I know what song your using I can write lyrics that would match it."

While Yongsun was gathering her thoughts about Byulyi and rapping, the maknaes were latching onto Byul like a bunch of fangirls.

"Wow unnie you write your own stuff too? That is so cool!" Hyejin was looking at Byul fondly which stirred something in Yongsun that almost feels like irritation.

"Can we hear you rap? Please unnie?" Wheein begged cutely while tilting her head slightly which made her looked like a little puppy. 

Byulyi was clearly enjoying the company of the two and laughed at their antics. 

"Of course you'll hear me rap. After all I'm the rapper and dancer in the group." She said while patting Wheein's head.

While the other three were clearly getting along well, Yongsun was left starring at the side. She couldn't help but feel left out somehow but she shrugged it off. Focusing instead on getting their set ready, she cleared and got their attention.

"Well if that's the case then how about we start with the dance first, then you can write your rap verse after you get the moves down."

They all nodded and started showing Byulyi the choreography. Yongsun, Wheein and Hyejin got into positions and started doing the whole dance while Byul watched. Yongsun let the music take control of her body and concentrated on the performance. She knows she's not the best dancer, infact out of the three of them she was the one who always makes mistakes when learning a new dance and it takes her a lot longer to get it perfect. Something about having to concentrate on the dance while singing always gets her confused and it ends up with her missing the beat but she manages it by working hard.

"So that's what we'll be performing in the evaluation. Wheein will be teaching you the dance," she gestured for the girl and she ran straight to Byul. "Don't worry if you don't get it right away since some of the moves are a bit complicated. Just go as far as you can and we'll take it from there, besides we still have vocal trainings and your rap verse this afternoon to focus on." 

Byul nodded and the two went off to the center and practiced. Yongsun was quietly watching them when Hyejin sat beside her.

"You know you're a bad actress unnie." She stated while drinking from her water bottle. Yongsun looked lost for a moment which made her laugh a bit. "I'm talking about you and Byulyi unnie." 

"What? what about me and Byul-ah? I have no idea what your talking about Hyejin-ah." 

Yongsun tried to sound nonchalant but looking at Hyejin's face she knows she didn't do a good job. She let out a sigh and went back in watching the two dancers on the floor.

"I don't know what you want me to say Hyejin." 

"Judging by your awkwardness around Byul unnie since yesterday I take it that you two know each other before, right unnie?" she asked softly.

Yongsun kept quiet, not daring to look at her dongsaeng's face. It was foolish of her to think that no one would notice her behavior since she knows how insightful the girls can be despite their playful persona. Specially Hyejin. 

She felt Hyejin laid her head on her shoulder and hugged her as much as she can in their current position. 

"It's alright unnie. If you don't want to let us know I understand," Yongsun felt like crying at the moment but she held it in. "Just know that I'm always here if you need me." 

Yongsun didn't know what to say to that and so she tightened her hug hoping to get her feelings across. 

"Thank you Hyejin-ah." 

==========================================

It was clear that Byul can dance, like really dance. She already had the dance memorized in under 20 minutes and was already dancing with Wheein effortlessly. They even came up with new dance moves that complemented well with their concept. 

It became even more apparent to Yongsun why their CEO personally talked Byul into being a trainee in the company during their vocal practice. Not only can the girl dance but she's an amazing lyricist too. While the other three were perfecting their vocals Byul was busy writing her rap verse and before practice for that day came to an end, they were able to hear her voice for the first time.

It was nothing like Yongsun has heard of before. She knew Byul could sing, she was one of the few people the girl was comfortable singing to, but rapping? This was knew to her. Her flow was smooth and matched well with the words. Her rhythm was perfect combined with a natural charm to it that left all three of them in awe. 

After finishing she was met with applause  and praises from all her members. 

"Wow Byul-ah that was amazing!" Yongsun was so ecstatic that she immediately went in to hug the rapper. 

Byul went rigged and Yongsun knew she messed up but before she could pull out from the hug she felt her hugging her back albeit not as tight. When she did let go though Yongsun saw Byul had a smile on her face and an expression that could only be described as bashful. It was the first time that Byul smiled at her in years and it made Yongsun hopeful about rekindling their friendship. 

"Uh - sure, I'm glad you liked it." 

The moment was short lived though and Byulyi averted her eyes. It felt like she had a default setting when it came to Yongsun since she doesn't act cold towards Wheein or Hyejin. 

They finished up for the day and agreed to continue working on their routine in the morning. They were on their way out of the dance studio when Wheein asked Hyejin to carry her but the other one refused since she was also tired from dancing all day and that's when Byulyi offered to carry her down which got Wheein excitedly jumping on her back. 

Yongsun thought that the younger girl was just happy to have another unnie around and would be less clingy with Byul after a while. She thought wrong. It's been a week since Byul joined their group but Wheein was still glued to her and it was starting to get on Yongsun's nerve. 

No matter if they were in the dorm, their dance studio, even when they went grocery shopping Wheein was always besides Byul. She would often ask for a piggy back ride which the other girl would gladly do without complaints or hide behind her if she was hiding from Hyejin when she took the said girls chocolate. 

Don't get her wrong. She was glad that Byul was getting along with them but she just can't stop feeling annoyed. Specially when she sees them sharing a hug or even holding hands while Yongsun herself was still walking on egg shells around the girl.

And one day Yongsun snaps.

"Would you two cut it out!" 

All movements seized at her shout and she was glaring hard at Wheein who looked at her surprised. They were taking their lunch break and were all sitting on the floor except Wheein who was sitting on Byulyi's lap while eating. 

Yongsun could feel her anger coming out looking at how comfortable they look and she doesn't know why but she's not liking it one bit. Byulyi carefully moved Wheein off her lap and stood up facing Yongsun with a glare of her own. 

"What's your problem now." She asked calmly but her eyes says otherwise.

Either it was her being bothered about the blatant display of the two or the fact that Byul still only talks to her regarding their schedule and group activities is not clear to Yongsun. All she knows right now is she's mad, irritated and confused all at the same time. 

"You! You're my problem!" she yelled, "Why is it so easy for you to be so clingy to them. You're constantly touching them all the time and it's just..."

"Just what? Disgusting?" Byul cut her off, "Is that what your gonna say?" 

"Of course not! Stop putting words in my mouth."

Both of them were shouting now and Yongsun knew that their voices might be heard outside but she couldn't bring herself to care. They were standing face to face, looking like they could go off at any provocation. 

"Then why the hell are you so bothered? I'm just making friends with them or is that too much for you?!" 

"Making friends? Oh is that what you call it now? If you like her just admit it. Like I said before it's alright with me just stop showing your PDA twenty four seven, specially not during work!"

"Is that what you think is happening here? If so then you're delusional Yongsun! Nothing is..."

"Alright stop!" It was Hyejin's voice that got them to shut up momentarily. "I don't know what's going on between you two but clearly you need to talk it out yourselves." 

Hyejin then took Wheein's hand and headed for the door when Yongsun stopped them.

"Where do you think your going? We're not done for the day yet!"

"We'll be staying outside while you clear whatever it is you need to clear with each other. And I'm taking my best friend with me before you bring her into whatever mess you two have with each other!" 

At that Yongsun glanced at Wheein. She was hiding behind Hyejin trying not to be seen while clinging on to her arm. She couldn't see Wheein's face since she was looking down on the floor but her posture made her looked like a little kid and it made Yongsun feel terrible. 

Before she could approach the girl though Hyejin already pulled her out of the room slamming the door behind them. Which left her and Byulyi alone.

"Why do you always do this Yongsun?" she turned around and stared at Byul.

"Excuse me? What did I do?" 

"I knew this wouldn't work out," Byul then started packing her things in her duffel bag. "I'll speak with the CEO, I'll leave the group."