ix. her clemency

Mated Love

Sometimes, you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory. – Up

Chapter 9

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t help it. A small cry left my lips, not long before wails rippled through every inch of my body. Was this really it? I was too young to lose him, a happy man who only cared for his wife and child. Maybe too young, I used to think. But not anymore, as I watched his ashes spread through the wind.

My black coat and dress, ‘appropriate for the occasion’ as my mother said, stuck to my pale skin as I fell to my knees – aware of the judgmental glare my mother was giving. She’d complain about the fine material I’d ruined, the embarrassment, and the utter shame I’d bring as I didn’t stand tall.

I never knew the world was full of such cruel people – not my mother, but mythics, that would take away my own father. Who takes away their own kind? These… they aren’t mythics… they aren’t the same people that settled their differences and fought for rights. No… these were monsters, like mother said.

And monsters should be put down.

A king was assassinated, but more importantly, a father was taken away. My own father. Yet mother hadn’t spared a single glance to the urn that sits on the dining table. I’d brought it as a form of reconnection, that he’d always be with us. The few specks of dust inside held his presence, but nothing would bring back my mother’s smile.

“Jennie,” Ouch. “When you go to school, don’t look pathetic. Make friends, make enemies, but remember to gain power. That’s something your father could never do.”

She seemed unphased as she spoke whilst I struggled to sip a glass of blood. She’d said it so casually, like he hadn’t passed almost a week before.

So emotionless, it was almost beautiful yet so broken.

y/n’s pov

“Hope you like the new colour!”

I stared at the dirty reflection of myself through the grimy school mirror, drips of coral pink running down my cheek. The 4 giggling girls left as I wiped my face, noticing the glimmering stain it left behind. Within a second, the splattered dye colour seemed to spread from the roots to the ends of my hair.

Lovely.

‘Wasn’t that hustler joining you today? Tell her to fix it.’

I smiled at the mention of Irene, ignoring the crude nickname.

 flashback: yesterday

I was walking home when I got a text from Irene, telling me to meet near home. Yes, I eventually called my escape from Hell, home. I gave her my number the second time we met since she asked too kindly. She ended up in my contacts as Joohyunie whilst I was put as y/n/n in hers. We had nicknames for each other within days of knowing each other – I wasn’t complaining though.

 She soon came to know who Chanyeol and Jennie were to me once she noticed a small bruise on my forehead, then said something I didn’t think she’d say.

“Right, that’s it.” She looked around briefly before facing me, booping my nose as I scrunched it in response. “I was always sent letters to join your school again, but I didn’t want to go back because of last time.” She sighs, holding a breath while I stared unknowingly.

“So, starting from tomorrow I will be a student at Valenteux High School.”

flashback: end  

We didn’t go much into details. Only that she’d go in as Joohyun, not Irene. That meant I would have to call her ‘Joohyunie’ since the school system can’t find out about Irene Bae. Not that I don’t mind, it was rather cute.

But I’m here looking like a clown on acid, and the fairy wouldn’t be here till-

Ping!

My phone flashed with a message from Irene, meaning she was probably walking through the hallways this very moment. With a grin, I tied my bright hair into a bun, brushing the loose hair behind my ears and left the bathroom. Hopefully she knows something that’ll-

Ping! Ping! Ping!

I chuckled as I read the messages, knowing it would be much easier to finder her now.

Joohyunie: I’m hereeeeee

Joohyunie: Y/N/N HELP ME

Joohyunie: EVERYONE KEEPS TALKING TO ME

Joohyunie: OH YOU OWE ME FOR THIS!

It wasn’t long till I found her – except to my luck, Chanyeol, Jennie and Sehun had found their way first. Probably off to recruit her, pfft. Sehun was there for once, though.

no pov

While Jennie simply stared at the fairy, Irene seemed to send serrated knives through her sharp glare – aiming right in the middle of her eyes. Bullseye. She could feel her body burning with a long desire to just bash her stupid face into these lockers and then I’ll-

Jennie could easily see the anger, the rage pent up in the fairy’s eyes. She wasn’t sure why, but she found it humorous. Sehun held no regard for the fairy, instead staring dead straight at the bright orange hair in the back of the crowd. He didn’t know who it was, but it made him smile. Chanyeol was the epitome of a dog staring at its treat, practically drooling at the sight of Irene.

y/n remained in the back, observing to not draw attention. She knew the second she stepped through the crowd, they’d all burst into tears of laughter. She could already see it, A3 posters stuck in the hallways of her with this ridiculous hair colour.

Once Jennie nudged Chanyeol with her elbow, he was quick to take a step forward in his ‘initiation’. He started with a wolf-whistle, eyeing up Irene who was clearly uncomfortable, then gave a grin that flashed his canines. “What a pretty fairy, you wouldn’t mind joining us would you?” Irene cocked a brow up, egging him on.

“Well I am the next Alpha, and Jennie of course is the High Princess. Sehun here is a trusted vampire that’ll make sure nobody messes with you.” y/n knows that’s not true, and so does Sehun, who rolls his eyes at the last statement.

Jeez, where’s y/n/n when I need her?

Irene gave her best, sickly faux smile before she returns with a bored expression, scoffing before pushing Chanyeol who’s a little too close for comfort. “Yeah, not happening. I’ve already got a friend here, and she’s better than prissy princess, an egotistical puppy, and a ‘macho’ vampire who seems too dazed for his own good.” She always hated people like this. Sehun seemed neutral in her eyes for now, considering how he didn’t care for the comment.

“Oh yeah? Well, where is she?” Jennie asks, unaware of who the ‘friend’ may be. But from the way y/n was shaking, she knew how she’d react. “One sec, lemme call her.” And so, the trio and the crowd watched Irene call y/n.

y/n. Whose phone started to ring from the back of the student body.

Suddenly a parting was made as the students stepped back, staring at the submissive. Only her phone rings cut through the awkward silence before she steps forward. It’s not long till murmurs grow into chuckles, and then everyone is laughing at the werewolf. Chanyeol is practically howling before throwing a thumbs up towards the front. Of course, who else would it be? y/n sarcastically thinks.

Irene practically pales as she watches her newfound friend humiliated within school, remembering y/n’s experiences in school. Sehuns’ smile towards the bright hair leaves once he realises it’s y/n, storming off and away. Jennies’ eyes seem to glow once, twice, and brighten each step y/n takes closer. But she takes a deep breath before shaking her head – this was all her fault anyways.

Jennie’s pov

“There’s some mail for you, Lady J!”

Without a thought, I quickly made my way towards the door. Mail was such a strange thing to receive in a household like mine, especially when most of it belonged to my mother. They came in scrolls, parcels, enchanted envelopes only to be open by the receivers’ drop of blood. I don’t really understand how the last one works, but I suppose magic is magic.

Instead, all I was given was a large yellow envelope. No stickers, lettering or mark of any kind besides a stamp in the corner with the letter ‘J’. I suppose that’s how she figured it was mine. I’m glad she didn’t let mother see it first. Considering how she’d only arrived during school; she’d only pestered me on and on for news on that stupid submissive that I bet is spilling all our secrets. I didn’t trust her, but I didn’t trust anyone else either.

It was obvious there was nothing much inside the envelope, perhaps a single cardboard – considering how tense yet thin it seemed. Though opening it up surprised me. Then raged me. Then consumed with a fear of confirmation that I’d been right all along. I hadn’t been seeing things.

Three photographs, all A3 but what surprised me was y/n’s hair colour. In each photo, her hair progressed from full coral, to light peach, then restored to her original hair. Someone had deliberately timed these photos, or better yet, stood guard and watched her while that stupid fairy was massaging(?) her head. May I call you a , mystery photographer?

The way they sat, just y/n laying her head comfortably across Joohyun’s lap. She looked so happy, all laugh and lax while the fairy smiled back. The way Joohyun smiles back like she wasn’t a submissive who everyone knew were greedy. The way she touched her, so intimately, like they’re a-

No! That can’t be… she called her a FRIEND this morning. That’s all they are… friends. It’s not like she likes anyone, right? The only people she knows are Chanyeol, Sehun, fairy girl and me. She hates Chanyeol so there’s no way it would be him. Sehun is nice to her, maybe a little too nice. He gets on my nerve sometimes in class, but he says he doesn’t care. Puh-lease! Fairy girl is a friend, confirmed as of today, and then there’s… me.

But y/n wouldn’t like me, she should hate me by now. Considering how I’d almost her dry the other day, she wouldn’t dare think of me like that. Every step I made had her trembling, but she’d never move out my sight. It’s like she knows I want her there. Even when I say go.

But it’s changed now, since I know somebody’s watching and waiting for her every move. And she won’t listen anymore, even when her life is on the line. Why couldn’t I do that…

y/n can’t be let outside, but she doesn’t want to be anywhere near me.

This is all my fault.

When the moon shone high, I ended up in front of my mothers’ room. I know she’s already sitting on her desk, filing through her papers of who knows what! She sits there too much, making back up plans for plans she hasn’t even made yet. The only times she ever left were when I’d knock, as I was always told to ‘toughen up’, figuratively. When I’d knock, she knows I’d given up and rendered soft.

I haven’t knocked in a while.

Also, my fault.

I knocked once, twice, before I heard a faint “Come in.” from behind the door. She had a glass of blood- no, wine within her hand as she sat by her study. It was blanketed in a mess of papers, with a dim lamp to brighten the room. Nothing uncommon, though it worried me that she’d drink the night she’d come back home.

“Are you alright, mother?” I asked, stepping within the cold room. Though my skin was cold, I could feel the hairs on my neck rise from the chills that swam through the room. She glanced once, before returning to the papers, though she replied. “I’m quite fine, Jennie. Do tell me why you’re exploiting the guards?” I closed the door behind me, wondering what she was going on about.

“Exploiting? What-?”

“The head guard had delivered his report, including the recent updates…” She’d ditched the papers, walking very slowly towards me. “Does treason for questioning you sound familiar, Jennie?” Crap.

“Okay, mother I can explain-” In a fit, she’d rushed in front of me whilst I leaned back, afraid of the vampire in front of me. “Explain what, Jennie?!” Her eyes glowed a distant red, something I hadn’t seen in a while. “That you’d take everything for granted whilst I clean your mess? I’m the queen of the entire vampire race. Your blood belongs to the first vampire line! Something that people want to wipe out – the monsters they are!”

Monsters.

There were times mother used the word, and I wasn’t sure who she meant. She could’ve meant vampires, the rebellion, or the entire mythic world. Because what are we exactly? We were a curse that spread like a virus, infecting every poor soul we came in contact with. Humans are plagued with the burden of being food with weapons to destroy us all. Werewolves are plagued with a monthly curse that forces their bones to break and mould into a beast. Vampires are plagued with the burden of a thirst that nothing but guilt and regret can replenish. So in turn, everyone’s a monster to each other.

Even y/n.

“Well I can’t help that somebody is watching us! Following us whilst you were having fun at a wedding!” There’s a pause, and her glare softens from the new information, urging me to continue. “I’ve been through town once or twice in the week, and I’d always see a blur. I believed it was simply a vampire, but then it continued every time I turned my head. I didn’t think of it as any coincidence so I stayed precautious.” My voice grew softer through the end, watching as mother sped back to the seat of her desk.

“Continue. And tell me everything.

y/n’s pov

“Have you ever danced, y/n/n?” I giggle as Irene clicks her fingers, Put Your head on My Shoulder by Paul Anka playing through her record store. She sways in front of me, her pink dusted cheeks gently sparkling as the scent of bubble gum strengthens. It’s almost comforting, until she grabs my hands and starts to sway me with her.

“I can’t dance Joohyunie! I’ll step on your toes before you can say tango and-” Her hazel eyes roll in playful annoyance before she cuts me off. “And nothing! It’s just a step forward, step back. C’mon, here.” I don’t get a chance to retort before she pulls me close, her arms around my waist as she guides mine around her neck. I blush from the proximity, my head under her chin as we move back and forth.

“Thank you.” I say, realising how grateful I am towards the fairy. “What for?” She asks, she asks as if she hadn’t made my day 100x times better. But she wouldn’t know that. She knows only of the unholy trinity, and witnessed how they are. But not to me. She hasn’t met my father. She’s seen the defensive wolf who whines about two bratty mythics. This wasn’t me.

“For fixing my hair, for going to school with me, for this.” I say, referring to the fun time we were having here. “Well technically I dragged you here because of what I had to endure at the start of the day. Did you know half the fairies there have no aura. Jeez, what is their colony teaching them here?”

‘Probably how to fertilise like the birds and the bees, you hustler.’

I silently laughed, not knowing how funny the voice in my head could be sometimes. “Hey, what’re you laughing at? It’s a very serious issue, y/n/n!” She jokingly pressed on, but it only made me laugh harder. “It’s just that, when you asked what the colonies are teaching them,” I moved back so she could see me, hazel eyes glimmering with curiosity.

Irene and I stayed in the store for the rest of the day – we laughed and smiled as we realised how ridiculous our school actually was. But then it ended as the sun came down, streaking the skies with a pink hue similar to Irene’s cheeks. I think they’re my favourite colour now.

She walked me home, her hands remained glowing as a source of light before we made it to the gate. Her face held a sly grin as she leaned towards me. “Why did today feel so much like a date?” I giggled before facing her, not realising how true it’d been till now. “Well then, can’t let you go without a kiss, right?”

Her eyes brightened, turning her head to show her cheek whilst I held a devilish grin. In the grossest way possible, I gave her the sloppiest kiss that made her push me away. “Ew y/n/n! I thought only wolves do that!” I laughed before slipping through the gates, waving to Irene before leaving.

She was too much of a friend to lose for now – thank you for granting me such a gift.

I don’t know who I thanked, but I hoped they heard.


uhh hi? i know i've been dead for quite a while but this chapter literally had nothing to go with so it was hard to made something so uhh... sorry? but goissssssss irene making a move on y/n, yay or nay? shall i make somehting fuel within jennie, or should i do something else? your choice!