viii. conceited pain

Mated Love

밤을 새워 버렸어 (I stayed up all night)
차갑게 식은 머리도 (My cooled down head)
너의 태도가 이해 (Can’t understand your attitude)
이젠 조금씩 지쳐 가네 (Now I’m just getting a bit tired) - MAMAMOO

Chapter 8

Vampires were very hot-tempered. They had jealousy issues, were obsessive, protective, overbearing – but most of all, always had a certain bloodlust. Some craved blood from humans at night, some in day, some from the pampered if they had an expensive taste. It was interesting what one could do if they forgot to drink a few days.

y/n’s pov

School had never been more horrid.

It was miserable with Chanyeol already, but Jennie seemed to instigate it more and more. I was washing my hair more, covering bruises, crying at night. I’m in a luxurious room, a door with a look and a widow with a beautiful view of the ground. Maids come to my aid even when I say no and guards look out for me when I leave this… I don’t even know what to call this place. Was it a palace? A mansion? A humble abode? Nothing seemed to fit more than the word… prison.

Yet I was more than thankful that I’d been taken away from Hell – my Hell.

Maybe I need some fresh air, I chided in my head, the depressing solitude I’m used to has only grown.

It was growing warmer by the day. Vampires were drinking bag after bag, their skin not handling the harsh abuse of the burning sun. Vampires were likely to visit covens and ask witches for protection charms. That being said, they wouldn’t go to the fairies as the spell usually required sacrifice, human sacrifice. Therefore, the streets were more likely cleaner of any criminals, considering they probably evade the blood tax.

They could pay for their crimes…

“Where are you going, Miss Kang?” I frowned, barely passing the gates of the Kim’s. Can’t I catch a break around here? With a sigh, I turned to the guard behind me. He was big, wearing a tight all black suit as he walked up to me. I could see his silver stubble starting to grow around his chin, even though the hair on his head was jet black. I didn’t understand what these guards were yet.

“I wanted to… uh... go to the record store?” Good save…

“I’ve been ordered that weekend outings should be monitored.” I frowned, I really didn’t want a guy in an all-black suit following me through town. How dodgy that would look, let alone the questions the townspeople would raise. What’s that submissive gotten herself into? She’s a part of the underworld, isn’t she? How shameful.

I didn’t actually know what the underworld was, but you hear things when walking the streets. I’d heard the name underworld, but I was too bothered by the bullying from the day. Plus, it sounded too creepy to be something nice. You’d think of the underworld as Hell, not Valenteux.

“By who?” “By my Lady.” Why would Jennie make a guard-

“I was also tasked with informing you that questioning her will result in treason.” I watched the guard grimace befo- wait treason?!

“Questioning her rule is an act of defiance – a criminal activity the rebellion is familiar with. You’ll be suspected of any affiliations and be exiled from the town and pack of-” “Okay! I get it! Just… please don’t be too close…”

He didn’t say anything. Just like the other monotonous guards guarding me, ignoring me like a child till I shut up when I get a piece of candy. But I’m not a child. I’m a werewolf, and I knew Valenteux better than he did. They’d only moved in weeks ago.

Oh. My. God.

I’d met Jennie only weeks ago when she moved in and look at me now – she won’t control my free time. If I want to roam the streets, then I’ll roam the streets till I huff my last puff. I’m a wolf for gods sake. She hates me, so can she leave me be for once?

When I reached the town, I could already feel eyes on me. Whether it be of the grumpy man following my every step or the fact that I’d been seen out here. Every day after school, I was too run down to walk the long route through the shops. It’s not like I ever go to the shops though – before Jennie came, dad’s bruises were too harsh to carry through the day.

I was physically drained before, emotionally drained now.

When I entered record store, I heard the bell ring as I swung the glass door open. Instantly, I was greeted by the musty scent of cardboard and old wood. The shelves were covered in years of dust, barely lit by a hanging light that seemed to buzz till it flickered. Why did I choose this rank old place? I bet nobody has come here since the 80’s.

Behind the counter was a raven-haired fairy with bangs and pigtails who looked like she was in first-world boredom. She blew a bubble from the stiff gum in , before it popped and she swiped through the pages of the fashion magazine she stared sleepily at. The lightly dusted pink glitter across her nose and cheeks seemed to be the only bright thing in the store.

But when she looked at me, it all seemed to change. The aura around the store seemed to glow as a deadly grin crawled upon her face. Her hands glowed a light pink, matching her glitter, before the store was filled with thick pink clouds. When they cleared, the jumpy pop music could be heard in the air, the lights were repaired and much brighter before and the shelves looked a lot more modern. And the smell… it remained though there was a hint of something familiar – bubblegum.

“Welcome to the album store,” As she stepped closer, I could see the glimmer of sharp hazel eyes that contrasted the soft pink. Her golden hoops hung to her jawline, which seemed to bring out the more unseen sultry side of a fairy. She was hot. “Have anything in mind?”

‘Well go on… say something, or are you mute on top of being a mutt.’

Oh not you again.

“Hello?” She took a step forward – but before she could reach, a gruff voice from behind interrupted her and pulled me back. “Do not touch her.” The fairys’ eyebrow raised before looking to me again, that same grin daring to oppose him. She looked back at the guard, looking him up and down.

“Aren’t you too old to be with a wolf like her?” I held back a laugh, watching the guards’ ears turn red. So, they do feel besides anger. “She’s a resident of the High Vampires. I do not wish to participate in any relation with her besides her guard.” I rolled my eyes, but the fairy didn’t notice and stood stiffer. Guess they affect everyone differently.

“I wouldn’t lay a hand on a beautiful wolf like her,” the guard scoffed but the girl continued, “And anyways, I have a life I’d like to live.” The guard glanced around the store briefly, turning to me as I pleaded with my eyes before he said I could go. Thank god.

“Thank you…” I don’t even know her name. “Joohyun Bae, or Irene. I own this down aged store.” I smiled, testing the name on my lips before scratching my head. “y/n Kang, thanks for saving me there. I can’t go anywhere without him following me.” She snickered, looking towards the guard who passed out on a leather loveseat.

“Even in the restroom?” I could feel my cheeks warm before looking down. I didn’t mean it like that… “So, you haven’t had any time today?” I frowned, shaking my head before looking to the fairy. There was something about her eyes that make you wanna keep staring… Maybe it’s the olive-hazel green that shine with a glint of gold… It’s compelling!

‘Focus on Jennie. You should make Jennie your mate, not this shining trickster.’

I’d rather live fake every day than be a blood bank. No thank you.

‘A bloody disgrace.’

At least I won’t be a bloody mess.

“y/n? You okay?” I focused back on Irene. “Y-yeah… I mean no, I haven’t.” She pondered for a bit, walking through the aisles before we were at the back of the shop. An emergency exit sign was glowing at the top of a door, no doubt leading outside. Why were we here? “Well then, wanna have some fun?” I giggled and nodded, not knowing what her ‘fun’ was – but knew it would be better than this place.

As long as I’m away from the guard and outta here… and if Irene doesn’t kill me.

She giggled along, and I swear it was the cutest thing I’d ever heard. You could play it all day like a ringtone and I couldn’t care less. “But once I leave, the guard will know you’re gone.” I pouted, and when she smiled with her teeth, the sight did something to my heart – beating faster and faster each breath I took. How could I say no to a fairy! Especially with those eyes… And that smile!

‘Easy. Say no, go back home and tell Jennie to be mates.’

The nerve…

“Well then…” I gave a coy smile, grabbing her hand – which was extremely soft, before speaking again. “Isn’t that the whole point?” She smirked, squeezing my hand tight before pulling me out the door without a word. We ran around the store before running into a park, hearing the obnoxious guard call my name before there was utter silence. When we stopped, we crashed into each other – me falling atop of her as we caught our breath.

Though I could feel her chest move up and down – trying to catch her breath, I felt no will to move. My nose was tucked underneath her chin, tickled by her bright hair as I could smell her strawberry shampoo. Or is that how fairies smell? I could recall the different flowery smells in school, no doubt belonging to the sparkly mythics that were invested with nature. But she was different, which reminds me…

“Irene?” Instead of my usual clear voice, it was much raspier due to my tired lungs. Better yet, it was muffled as I watched goosebumps rise every breath I took. “How come I’ve never seen you in school?”  She tensed, but before I say sorry, she rolls me off her body and places her arm under my head. We’re practically nose to nose, close enough to smell her bubblegum – which was strangely enticing considering I’d just met her. Was she meant to be a friend? Or something more?

The pink glitter on her nose glimmers a lot more than before, no doubt the sun reflecting itself and her cheeks flushed from the running. Or was it from how close we are? Because I can feel my cheeks warm up again. “I’m not from around here. I’m… on the run at the moment.” I frowned, not catching on. She smiles, though this time it’s not as genuine. It’s… awkward.

“My friend, she drained me of my blood… and magic.” I didn’t like where this was going… “It was fine at the time, we were both drunk and high – but she needed a drink. I could see it. The black veins, permanent fangs, reckless ways… The signs were all there.Never knew what the signs were but okay… Good to know! I noticed when she was sad, her eyes had softened to a soft brown – a duality of the sorts. Her cheeks weren’t as pink and sparkly but matched her the rest of her skin tone. Interesting.

“She must’ve gone too far because two seconds later I woke up in a hospital room. I didn’t bother going back to school, because I’d be known as the drained fairy… so before I left, I made sure she forgot who I was left the next night. She broke the blood law anyways.”

Ah yes, the blood law…

The blood law tax was the safest way for humans and vampires to keep peace. Humans would donate to their local hospitals and vampires wouldn’t prey – some protect the human, but that’s if they’re mates. Ugh… But if you didn’t donate for a while, you’d get a warning till you weren’t protected anymore. So you’d either have to pay and start donating again, or it’s goodnight.

Some humans can’t donate though. Patients with records of cancer, tumors, or medical reasons. Children can’t donate, the tax affects 18 and above.

And depending on the mythic, some were illegal. Sirens, witches, fairies, merfolk – anyone with magic in their system. Irene was obviously a fairy, so the night must’ve been woozy for the vampire anyways, and with the fact that she was hungry.

Scary…

“So she doesn’t know it was you?” I asked, just to clarify. “She knows she bit someone like me,” meaning a mythic of magic. “But she doesn’t know who or what I look like… It’s for the best anyways.” She trailed off, playing with the strands of hair that slid down my face.

“I’m sure you’ve got a less depressing life than me though, right?” She jokes, though her small smile changes when I don’t react. “Was that sarcastic or did you actually think I did with what I am?” I snap back, hurt from the joke. The clueless look she gave back only enraged me. She really can’t be serious, can she?

To think she could’ve been my friend… stupid music store, stupid smile, stupid strawberry smelling shampoo, stupid pretty face! Why’d she have to be so pretty as well?!

I sit up, shoving her hand away from my face before standing and storming away. I get that people hate me for being a submissive and shove it in my face, but I’d rather that then someone ignore a part of me. I need a ing balance and-

“Hey wait!” A hand takes mine, turning me around till I’m face to face with the pretty fairy, Irene. “I didn’t mean that…” she looks away, biting her lip as her foot twists around on the grass. She’s nervous. “I’ve heard some things about a submissive, nasty things, and I thought if I reminded you then us being friends wouldn’t work but… it looks like I made it worse…”

I smiled, appreciating her thoughtfulness. “It’s ok, Irene… We can still be friends.”

no pov

Jennie paced around her room, pulling the sleeves of her sweatshirt till they’d stretched permanently. Her tongue played around with the fangs that continued to grow from her gums. She hadn’t touched the O negative blood bag sitting on her desk since morning, leaving her the slight burning sensation across the face. Half her room, a queen bed swamped in a barrage of clothes, was letting the sun in.

She couldn’t care less though.

The sun was setting soon, and she was yet to hear from y/n. The guard she’d sent along had returned home empty-handed, claiming she ran away with a pink cloud. She wasn’t sure what that meant, but she knew the guard failed his job. The guard was now on clean up duty and would listen to the maids when required. The guards and maids all roared with laughter at the punishment, better than what the Queen would do.

Her pale skin had undertones of red as faint grey veins were starting to rise. She felt like her stomach was eating itself from the inside, just like the thought of y/n being alone in town. She wasn’t lying when she told the guard she saw dark figures near the school. Guards were told and made plans in case an attack was to happen. She was ready to be tied to a chair and held ransom, not dress all black so soon to a werewolf who does things to her and-

Jennie stills when she hears the faint sound of a door closing. y/n? She thinks and hopes before walking out. She’s too weak to do anything considering her lack of appetite.

y/n pov

My day with Irene was fun. We ended up going to an arcade and playing lots of games. She won most of them, if I’m being honest, but I did beat her at the claw machine. I gave her the Ice Bear plush because I figured it wouldn’t suit a place like this. Especially if Jennie saw it, speaking of which… where is she?

As I walked through the hallway, I could hear loud laughter coming from the kitchen – which was weird cos the house was always silent. Unless Jennie was marching around the house and screaming at the guards, but that wasn’t even happening today. Strange.

I opened my room, as quiet as I could, aware that Jennie could march in and scream at me too. I did run away from her guard and commit an act of treason, but it was ridiculous to think that-

I jumped when I felt cold hands on my arms, tight but not enough to make a bruise. My back meets the door, closing it as my head collides with the wood – though my eyes gouge from the sight in front of me.

Just like Irene described – black veins, fangs were out, and she was starting to squeeze my arms tighter! Her eyes were bright red, but there was no anger, instead she almost looked relieved or shocked – surprising to know.

“Jennie?”

“Where were you?!” My mouth opened but not a single word left. Conflicted by my silence, she speaks again. “That guard was with you for a reason, y/n! What if you got hurt? Or-or someone saw you and took you and-” This was getting ridiculous.

“I was with a friend.” I quipped, “A friend? You can’t believe I’d think you were with a friend all day in town, would you?” She asks incredulously, but I focus on the black veins that continue to darken. Her fangs now dig into her bottom lip, but she pays no heed as she leans closer, and closer, and closer.

 “J-Jennie...?” I call out, instead she focuses below my eyes to the bottom of my neck. The sudden intimacy gives me a chance to notice the pink across her face, as though she’d been lying under the sun a whole day. “Why are you… pink?” She stops, as though the cogs in her head run the right way as she blinks, muttering a curse before moving back. Her bruising hands no longer grip me as she pushes me to the side gently and leaves the room.

What was that about?


owo i updated??? happy valentines day peeps! i havent updated in a while cos school started and i literally forgot i had a story till now, but i had a tiny writers block anyways so thats ok. i didnt really edit this so sorry if stuff doesn't sound as nice, im like half dead right now, but i'll edit tomorrow if i can. for now, meow out