v. duplicitous notions

Mated Love

People don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed. – Friedrich Nietzsche

Chapter 5

Have you ever been in denial?

It’s the gut-wrenching taste when you’re so obsessed with your aspect that you forget other people can see. They see the delusional path you’ve stepped on, ready to catch when they push you away from the fiery pit at the end. Or maybe they don’t catch us – leaving us in a limbo of fallacy.

Do we look around to see what they fear? Or do we stand back up, wipe off their dusty words and continue to stride towards something that’ll hurt us in the end?

It’s unfortunate when we’re so sensitive – involved, that we tend to lose the ones we love around us. You're selfish and determined, ready to crack when you know you’re in the wrong. It’s depressing to watch the toll of your actions unfold, because that’s how much trust you’ve put into someone.

None.

You don’t deserve a person who pulls you back to reality when you’d pushed them so far.

But that doesn’t mean you don’t cherish the person when you have them. You’re a blessed person to have someone like this – arms open when you’re ready to fall. Don’t use or abuse – better yet, play somebody like that. If you do that to someone who cares about you,

You’re toxic.

no pov

Jennie left y/ns’ house with more questions rather than answers. She started to scratch at her thigh when she finally sat down, desperate to peel the skin off her pale thigh. Her fangs bared in frustration when the sensation only grew, not an ounce of satisfaction when she dug harder.

Instead – she asked herself.

Why the hell did I let him touch me? Disgusting man, no way noble enough to breathe the same air as me and yet – he let erse ideas run through his mind at the honour. I should cut his hands off when I get back home.

But she also knew – without the single touch, he wouldn’t be on the floor screaming his lungs. She gave a firm punishment, leaving him mentally crippled if he weren’t strong enough – but he deserved more.

Her dainty fingers gently pried her skirt pocket open, pulling out the strong red gauze that seemed to fuel a fire within Jennie. The gauze was still damp – her fingertips slightly sticky as she carefully fought a theory in her head.

One side complied with the idea of y/ns’ dad abusing his only daughter, a submissive one.

The other rebelled – an idea like that was stupid as wolves don’t harm their own, especially when they’re of the same blood.

She thought that Chanyeol would never do such a thing – considering he is the coming Alpha. The current Alpha respected all, even those that don’t deserve it. Yes, to confirm, she was one to find it delusional that her mother had placed a submissive in the V.I.P. section of the hospital.

She thought about the submissive. She looked so innocent – the colour red would never suit her in such a way. Unless… the thought was left incomplete when she told herself about how ridiculous it sounded.

But it was already bizarre to Jennie that she craved the girls’ blood. She wanted nothing to do with the girl – yet in a single day she’d learnt so much. It consumed her so – she’d grown obsessed in less than an hours’ presence of the girl, now watching her sleep in her bed.

She froze – hearing the sheets ruffle before she tucked the gauze back in her pocket.

y/n’s pov

I had a nightmare.

It was about my dad – who would rampage through the hospital and drag me out by the foot. He wouldn’t care if people stepped on me, or if the concrete outside would scrape my arms – it just kept going on and on! I wanted him to stop – begged him to but he just kept going.

It’s amazing how my dad, a man that I knew I could trust with my life – is now a man who wants to get rid of it. He was a Gamma, an average wolf who worked in an office. He got regular pay, regular hours and a regular lifestyle. It’s like the second he learns what I am, he suddenly crashes hard in life.

He became one with his addiction – alcohol. I don’t know how he became obsessed with the wretched drink – he would barely step near the beer aisle in shops and now? It’s all he ever buys. Somewhere amidst his hungover state, he buys a meagre amount of groceries due to how much he wastes on drinks. And it was in these moments that I would always wonder – what’s wrong with me?

What did I do to my dad that he became like this? How do I fix him? What happens if I don’t?

The day I’d met the fate of my fathers’ hand, I knew there was nothing I could do that would bring him back. So what did I do from that point on? Nothing – I let him use his hands till I pass out, washed the blood off when I woke and let the day repeat. I suppose that’s when I gave up on myself too.

Noticing the lack of light, I looked towards the window – only to get the biggest fright of my life, dare I say, scarier than my dad.

“y/n Kang, submissive werewolf of Valenteux.” She says, head tilting slightly just like in class. She slips off the seat, her eyes flashing red slightly as she stands over me.

“Your dads’ a deadbeat bastard – an alcoholic must I add,” As she leans down – closer, my hands tighten over the blanket that I’m slowly edging towards my face. “And you’re a target at school, as I’ve heard… So what on earth,” She comes much closer again, our noses inches away as I feel her corpselike hand atop of mine. “Makes you so damn special?” Her eyes slowly phase back into a bright red – blinding yet hypnotic. She’s stalking me like her prey, just waiting to make a fault.

“You’re a submissive – a weak wolf who’s probably never seen her own wolf. You’re your own who’ll force herself to listen to my every whim. I’m right… aren’t I?”

I say nothing – the beeps of the monitor escalating as my chest starts to burn.

“Answer me, mutt!” I shake under her – her fangs bearing as I freeze. Something manages to pass my trembling lips while I lay there. “Y-yes.” It’s barely there, but it satisfies Jennie. It’s not till she stands straight that I remember to breathe.

“You’re already scared – so there’s no point playing with you.” Play with me?

“You’re disgusting yet somehow, useful. But you make me weak – so you better stay the hell away from me!” She snarls out – leaving the room in the blink of an eye. She’d just left me on this bed, all alone like everybody else. Because I know that no matter what – even if the Queen has shown her kindness, nobody will care afterwards.

So I ask myself something.

Why did it hurt so much when Jennie said it? Why did it hurt when Jennie told me to stay away? She’s dangerous, could snap me in two before I say ‘no’. I’ve been called disgusting before – it lives around my label as a submissive, yet I wish Jennie never said it.

Of course, my doleful thoughts are ruined by a single yet intolerable voice.

‘You’re a fool – a dim-witted child who doesn’t even know what the feeling of love feels like. She’s your mate! Go after her! No matter your stupid physical form that restrains you to this bed, she’s your only chance of being useful. She called you useful herself.’

Though I despise this voice, it speaks partial truth. Perhaps I don’t understand the feeling of love. Perhaps Jennie is my mate, my soulmate. Perhaps I am of use in this world – despite my shunned title. Do I go after the undead Princess, or do I heed her own words and ‘stay the hell away’ from her?

There are so many questions – with answers that come by with patience. Ignorance is bliss, and so I choose to lie in this bed…

For now.

Jennie’s pov

The second I left the hospital room, a deep breath had left my lungs. I crashed gently on a wall, heaving as my hand clawed at my chest – but each with different reasons.

Being so close to her, it made me dizzy! If it weren’t for the way she shivered under me, I wouldn’t have been able to stand. My eyes were bright enough that it reflected off y/ns’ cheek back into my eyes, I just couldn’t control myself.

A hand on my cheek makes me flinch – I would’ve tripped if the same hand hadn’t grabbed my wrist in time.  Looking up, I notice it’s my mother who’d pulled me up. She was worried, enough to give me a warm hug I hadn’t felt in quite a while. I had to admit. I missed her hugging me – so much that I just held on to her. What I’d do if I never got a parents’ love? I pity y/n for not having such a feeling.

“Jennie, baby, what happened?” Wow, she’s going all out by calling me her ‘baby’ again.

I pulled away from the hug, looking down. I couldn’t tell her what happened – she’s already too invested in y/n. I don’t get why she is anyways. The Queen, of all people, is helping a submissive – the lowest grade you could ever be. It was confusing, perhaps disappointing, that my mother was doing such a thing. The girl was manipulating her, just like she did me – and I can’t do anything because it’s so euphoric.

“I… it doesn’t matter, mother. You were gone for a while – I was going to look for you. Where did you go?” I said, unsure what else to say. She nodded, opening the black bag that hung on her forearm. My mother took out a folded piece of paper, handing it to me to read.

Hospital Chargesy/n Kang. She was paying for her?

“You’re paying for her?!” I asked, a little distraught at the idea. Imagine if the press heard about this, ‘Royal Vampiric Family pays for Lowly Submissive.’ I could practically read the headlines of the paper right now.

My mother simply grimaced, snatching the paper away from me before speaking, “Of course I am, Jennie. If you didn’t know – that guard in there is the reason why she’s here in the first place!” Oh, now that makes more sense. Maybe she felt at fault for her broken whatever, so she decided to help. Wait… y/n came by the house?!

“And besides, it’s rather a special service to help her – I don’t remember the last time I ever felt so… empowering.And my mother continues to fail me… never mind.

I simply roll my eyes, letting out a grunt as I mumble. “Whatever.

“But Jennie, now that I really look at you – have you done a facial?” I look to my mother – bewildered by the question. Vampires didn’t need facials, we were already blessed with radiant skin the second we’re vampires. I’ve had mine since birth because I already had vampire venom running through me – though it hasn’t activated as of yet.

It’s funny how birthed vampires work – because it makes none yet complete sense. I’m born like a human, but I’m dead. Doctors have no idea whether a vampiric baby is undead until they come out crying, so it’s rather risky for the mother – that is, because they could be holding a dead vampire and nobody would know.

When a vampire is birthed undead, they’re obliged to drink blood the second they’re born. I mean – I can eat other foods as well but blood is just so… addictive. It’s like candy or chocolates for humans, it’s a craving you have and doesn’t satiate for a while.

But if I’m ready to live in a specific ‘body age’, I bite myself with my own venom. It’s the reason why my mother only looks 35 when in fact she’s centuries old. She waited till she found the right mate -  both mother and father bit themselves when they promised each other they’d stay together forever.

Why’d you break your promise, father? Can’t you tell that mother changed a lot without you? Can’t you see how I’ve changed? Nothing is the same without you. I hope you know that well and regret it.

“Jennie! Snap out of it, you’re a royal!” I flinched when my mother snapped her fingers in front of my eyes, shaking my head to refocus.

“I asked you, Jennie. Why are you glowing so much? I mean, I know you normally had lovely skin but now… it’s truly zealous. Have you met somebody, Jennie Kim? And you dare not tell me?” Though it sounded harsh, I could hear the playful tone in my mothers’ voice. She was truly going delusional though.

The small curl in the corner of her lips annoyed me so.

“Met someone? Mother, it’s only been 12 hours since I started school – and you think I met somebody? I don’t know where you’re coming up with these things but it’s gotta stop. My skin has clearly always been… well clear. And if I’d met someone, I wouldn’t even be here.”

I walked away, hearing my mother mumble something that only pissed me off.

It’s a wonder you’re even here.

y/n’s pov

It had been about 5 hours since Jennie was here – according to the clock on the wall. It read 12:36, a time everybody sleeps at. Nobody should technically be awake except for me and few doctors that do routine check-ups on their patients. My doctor came about 2 hours ago then said she’d check on me tomorrow. Sadly she won’t be seeing anymore of me now that I’m escaping.

‘What do you think you’re doing, running away like this?’

Oh no, not now.

‘Yes, now. You have the opportunity to not seem dumb to your mate – yet you continue to embarrass yourself.’

Just. SHUT UP.

‘No. I need to tell you how stupid you are and-’

Why? You’re a part of me – you're making a fool of yourself to ME by saying these things. Why don’t you just shut up for once and just let me NOT get us killed?

For once, the voice in my head that drove me crazy had fallen quiet to my request. I held slight regret remembering I was lonely now, but I also knew it was for the better.

I slowly pulled out the needle that pierced my forearm, the IV liquid dripping on the sheets as I stepped out of bed. My heart monitor continued to beep, though it hastened from my anxiety spiking. I still had my own thoughts discouraging me into thinking this was a bad idea – because it was, but I was risking dads’ punishment when I got back home. Either pain, or torture. I shook away my thoughts, turning the heart monitor off from the socket on the wall. I knew the lack of a heart rate triggered the machine, so why not get rid of the machine itself?

The ticklish clothing was loose on me – the hospital gown would be a burden while running. I had no choice though – my clothes were in possession of the hospital somewhere. No matter, because I was tiptoeing in the hallways seconds later. The cold marble of the V.I.P. floor bugged me – I was starting to regret leaving the complimentary slippers behind. But then again, the noise wasn’t appreciated.

The lift made a loud ‘Ding’ noise, the awkward elevator music inside as I pressed the ground Level. I was soon in the hallways again – more cold floors but I could also hear the echoes of footsteps. I had to move quickly.

I could see the sliding doors, the exit to this hospital as I noticed the dark sky outside. It looked so beautiful, especially the crescent of the moon I could make out behind the clouds. It was ethereal. I’d never seen anything like it in a while – considering how I’m beaten up after each and every night.

I was almost there.

Key word: Almost. Blaring red lights flashed through the hall as the hospital doors I’d almost reached were barricaded by metal gates. My feet still ran towards the doors, slamming on the metal I’d now recognised as silver.

It burned each time my hands collided with the gate – my consciousness slowly slipping as my vision started to turn sideways. My head met the cold ground as rapid footsteps slowly came louder. I was suddenly hauled over a large shoulder and the familiar sound of my doctors’ voice rung through my ears.

Well .

Jennie’s pov

I watched my mother scream at the guard who kept his head down – afraid to look her in the eyes. He should be. He failed my mother in his duty – which was to keep y/n safe. Instead, looking through the window to her room, she was shaking and trying to kick the hands that held her down.

I winced when the doctor stabbed a needle into y/ns’ neck – her flailing arms slowing down till she fell limp on the bed. It pissed me off. The new doctor held no regard for her comfort – scolding the doctor we met for not locking the door. It felt ridiculous – having to lock somebody in their room just because of a title.

Why did it give so much power?

I cursed myself, knowing I was being hypocritical.

Soon both doctors came out the room. The one I now disliked left the room in annoyance, a bald human who most likely believed submissives were worthless. The previous doctor left the room quietly – making sure not to disturb y/n who would definitely be asleep considering the drugs they’d blatantly stabbed her with.

I surprisingly walked up to the doctor, asking a few questions.

“Hey Doc… how is she?” She looked concerned, which worried me for some reason.

“Well, we had to give her some anaesthetic because she wasn’t cooperating – and her hands are wrapped in bandages because she wouldn’t stop with the silver doors. Considering she’s a submissive though, she may be knocked out a little more than expected because her blood is ‘weaker’, as we call it. She’ll be okay though, don’t worry.”

She leaves me be, giving me two pats on the shoulder before I turn around.

“Can I see her? I mean – go in?” She thinks about it before nodding. Perfect.

Within a second, I’m sitting on the chair next to y/ns’ bed. If it weren’t for the heart monitor, I would’ve thought she was dead with how still she was. Her chest was barely moving – yet somehow she was getting enough oxygen.

“Nngh.” I hear her groan slightly before she started to tremble.

But that’s weird… she’s not meant to wake up till tomorrow at least. Unless…

Curious, I gently place my hand on her arm – trying not to wake the werewolf up.

Pfft, why do I even care? She’s been controlling how I act, and it’s only been a day. What the hell is wrong with me? She’s a submissive.

I shake my head to myself, unknowingly entering y/ns’ dream when my eyes stung and was sent into another world – though I would call it Hell.

Visions of y/n being kicked, being dragged through the school hallways, even being trapped in what seemed like a dumpster – it was horrific. I didn’t know what to do, but I could feel y/ns’ arm start to tremble a little more as more flashes of her father comes.

He’s got that glint in his eyes, a brown that seemed too reddish to seem werewolf. He was blinded by his anger – letting his arms and legs go free of his will as he continued to hit y/n. The small submissive couldn’t do anything except lay on the floor, already helpless while trying to block his attacks.

There was a chance that it was a nightmare – but it just seemed too real.

Was this a memory? But that wouldn’t make sense, I can’t delve into memories – my powers aren’t like that. Was this a trauma nightmare? Did she go through this a lot? Where are her marks though? She doesn’t heal as fast as a normal werewolf. It’s impossible for a submissive.

Suddenly a loud cry is heard when I watch y/ns’ dad smash his heel onto her hip – is it coincidental that y/n was in pain from bumping the same hip on the desk?

Not wanting to watch more, I let my hand go of y/ns’ arm. I didn’t know what to think – did y/n deserve it? She is a submissive, one of the most selfish and pathetic kinds in the world – but did she deserve the pain? It confused me so, recalling my thoughts from this morning.

I remembered loving the way y/n feared me – it was satisfying to watch. I wanted more, just like the smell of her blood. Intoxicating, to say the least. She was also the reason why I’d been having weird thoughts – she was practically in almost all of them. Maybe she deserved humiliation for making me like this – but I would never hurt her.

I think.

For now, I just watched her. A small smile ghosted my lips, but I would never laugh watching somebody suffer something they shouldn’t. I wasn’t completely sure whether she actually deserved it yet. I didn’t want her anywhere near me, but I didn’t want her near anybody else either. She made my thoughts cross, making me go crazy thinking what I should do.

She was nothing my mother thought of though. She wasn’t some sort of ‘honour’, and she wasn’t ‘somebody I’d met’. She was somebody I would have to deal with and get rid of – but I just don’t know how.

no pov

The Queen watched Jennie and y/n through the window. She was going to enter – but she knew not to ruin the moment. She saw Jennie hold a smile she’d never seen before, her cheeks glow like none other and wondered if it had to do with the injured girl in the bed.

She knew Jennie wasn’t one to find peace in a girl sleeping – she knew that from what happened before they moved to Valenteux. She was also glad she omitted to y/n, not wanting to damage whatever bond the two girls. But it reminded her of what she’d told y/n that afternoon – about soulmates.

Were Jennie and y/n meant to be? Were they truly soulmates?

If she truly was, she knew y/n would make Jennie weak when she becomes Queen. y/n would become a duty. The Queen had to make sure Jennie held no liabilities that people could use when she was at her best. She wanted what’s best for her daughter, and would do anything to make sure she was happy.

The Queen held no chances, calling the one person who knew would make this work.

“Alpha Park? I need a favour regarding y/n Kang of your pack, you may remember her as the submissive.”


I didn't say everything would be the same, you guys ;)

meow out.