ii. to attain exposure

Mated Love

Wish I had no expectations,
I wish that I could get it through your head.
With no confrontation,
I really wish we could talk about it instead. – Lauren Jauregui

Chapter 2

Vampires, demons, humans, nymph- the list is endless. What do all these lifeforms have universally? They all have a life they may live- whether they choose to suffer or cherish it, it’s up to them. They just don’t know it.

But a cruel way to live is all alone in a place you can’t call home- because nothing makes it so.

Loners have their reasons- fear, expectations and experiences that lead to the end of a thesis they haven’t trialed yet. They all have excuses- viable­, but they’re the reason they suffer.

Questions turn to procrastination; to distractions; to excuses they tell themselves that it’s okay to have nobody. They overlook the signs, accepting the consequence of ‘no-social-life’ and rise towards a goal that’ll have no meaning within few years.

Not all are ignorant- peeling their eyes away from their ‘passion’ to find a new one only metres away. These are anomalies. Driving away from their norm, they create a new lifestyle surrounding their friend, family or lover- more the last one.

Lover- or shall I say mate? The one, or more, person to circulate life around when believing they are the ‘one’. I don’t mean to say that you meet the ‘one’ straight away- it’s just a matter of trial and error. You don’t say ‘I love you’ to somebody you’d only met. You slowly ease your way into their life safely as they do with you- accustom them to your presence; affection; love; until you’re not inconsistent. Few are lucky enough to already know who their mate is with a single look- soulmates. Don’t expect smiles and laughter straightaway though.

With all the time in the world, this seems easy.
But everybody has an end- you just don’t know when you’ll reach yours.

y/n’s pov

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

The crooked white clock in the hallways teased me, a drop of sweat rolling down my powdered cheek. I was waiting second after second; minute after minute; hour after hour; the precise day after yesterday.

The hallways were dormant, yet it felt more alive than ever.

I would run through them if I could, enjoy the lasting freedom I have with the silence- except I couldn’t. The joint of my pelvic and thigh bone had been bruised- least the skin was. I could barely walk, let alone run. I was stuck leaning against the cold steel, my padlock prodding my arm softly.

I was lucky enough to still be on school grounds considering yesterday.

flashback: yesterday

I was standing at my locker, playing jenga with my books as I sorted what stayed at school and what to take home. The clicking of shoes made me tense- nobody should even be here. It’s been an hour since school ended- I only stick around after school because I don’t get to study much at home.

Perhaps the janitor is early, I calmly thought.

“y/n Kang… you humiliated me today.” Or not.

My locker echoed as I slammed the door shut, securing my padlock before turning to Chanyeol.

“How? You humiliated me like usual, Chanyeol.” I sneered, watching him come close till he was a few metres away. “If it weren’t for your inferior , I wouldn’t have to. Now my dad saw me ‘abuse and humiliate one of the pack’, which is bull. You don’t even belong with us- you’re just the stigma we’re sympathetic to.”

My eyes burned at his words- he spoke the truth. I don’t know why mythics dislike submissives, the pack kept me even though they hated me.

“I don’t care Chanyeol,” my voice trembled. “What the hell do you want?”

He simply smirked, nodded, and suddenly two hands grabbed my shoulders tight. I tried to run, but they only pulled me back, the three boys’ chuckles filling the empty hallway.

On my left, Sehun stared in ire. He was a vampire I accidentally made fail his chemistry exam by… spilling his own coffee over his study notes in the library. He never cared about me when we sat at the same table there- maybe he didn’t know I was a submissive, because he hated me from that day on. I think he was ready to squeeze my throat with how red his eyes had gone.

On my right, a human boy I’d actually never seen or met but apparently goes to the same school as me considering the uniform.

“I have a small offer, y/n. Either you don’t come to school for a very long time, or we’ll make you. Think about this carefully.” I knew what this was about, the conversation between Chanyeol and the Alpha. The Princess was coming tomorrow. He made threats I knew weren’t empty- but I still refused.

“No.” I half-regret it, but I needed school to escape dad.

“Alright boys, you know what to do.” Without a word, they started to drag me out. Chanyeol loosely followed, taunting me with his words. “You’re scum, y/n. And what do we do with scum? We throw it away and hope to never see it again.”

It wasn’t long till I was thrown in a dumpster filled with empty blood bags and thrown food- rotten or not.

It was dark, smelly of course, and I wanted out. The bin lid was duct-taped down so I couldn’t leave easily, considering my weaker strength. This wasn’t going to be fun.

flashback: end

I eventually escaped through the kind school nurse who I befriended. Jessica was her name, she made sure my scrapes and all were clean and covered.

I was still jumpy. I said ‘no’ to Chanyeol yesterday and I had the nerve to show myself at school today and-

“OH MY GOD IT’S HER!” “I’M SUCH A BIG FAN!” “SHE’S SO PRETTY! YOU’RE PRETTY, MISS!” “SIGN MY FACE!”

The constant sound of footsteps and screams, it sounded like a live concert was nearby. But that was impossible, Valenteux doesn’t hold anything of the sorts because of how dangerous it could get. So why would everybody be screaming and- oh… the Princess.

Jennie’s pov

The sound of screams and squeals trilled through my ears, but I couldn’t do anything- I had an image to uphold, as mother would say. No more fooling around if I wanted to stay here- but why stay if I can’t have fun?

Instead of my stoic face, I let my smile out. My fangs were showing, but they weren’t completely out- resting for a bite. The girls squealed louder, the boys cheered louder, and I took more and more gifts and flowers that my amazing followers gave.

Slowly it quietened down- the path in front was visible as the crowd parted. A werewolf, tall and charming, brown hair parted casually with a smile on his face. He held not just flowers, but a crown of the sorts. He walked towards me, kneeling in front and held the crown to present to me.

Cute crown, I thought. I could use some proper form of respect I guess.

“My lady, I am Chanyeol, the coming Alpha. I present to you this flower crown as I’d been told that your original one is kept at home for safekeeping.” I nodded, taking the crown between my fingers and studying it. It had small white roses that seemed stained with blue. Reminds me of the flowers mother wanted yesterday.

“Thanks Chanyeol, it’s cute. I’ll keep it.” I wore the crown, relishing the awed looks everybody gave me. This school is too easy.

“Oh, and everyone?” They watched with anticipation. Too easy. “Call me Jennie. After all, I’m here to be one of you.” I walked off with Chanyeol, seeing how he was the one to lead me to the office.

I analysed Chanyeol as I walked beside him. In all honestly, he seemed coy. He was one to rouse trouble yet be the star pupil- I mean, he is the coming Alpha. He’ll be a great asset whenever, just like his father.

The school was interesting as well, not the students but the actual structure. It seemed too easy to leave during class. Nobody seemed to though. They all seem too good to be true. I noticed all the hallways had few students except for one. It was deserted, except for somebody I could barely see against their locker.

My feet planted themselves in that direction. I want to go there- scratch that, really want to go there. I was going to go there whether anybody liked it or not and-

“Jennie? Where are you going?” I froze, looking to Chanyeol who was standing in front of the hallway. “I want to go there.” Etched with confusion on him, I nodded towards the hall he blocked. “But the office is that way, Jennie. We’ll be late if we don’t get your timetable now.”

Is he crazy? It’s a hallway, nothing wrong with looking at it.

My jaw clenched at his defiance, eyes burning as I glared at him with flaming anger.

“Move out,” I stepped forward, “the bloody,” He visibly gulped and leaned back, “Way.” He moved to the side straightaway- too late­, it seemed. As I stood in the middle of it, I no longer held desire for it. I stood alone in the hallway- looking for something, I didn’t know what. Chanyeol just stared, unsure whether to talk in fear of me.

“I-I… Jennie?” I sighed, it seemed I was irrational. Chanyeol was the lucid one here.

I walked back, apologising and told him to take me to the office. He didn’t seem shaken, which was surprising. Most guards- my mothers’ finest, were afraid of my presence. He was different- a great asset indeed.

 When he brought my timetable out for me, he seemed happy- he was happy­.

“Hey, we got Maths first together!” Here we go.

y/n’s pov

I collapsed, my body shaking as my legs burned with contempt. The aftershock of my hip suddenly surged, a small cry leaving me as I tried to refrain myself from screaming. Considering I ran from one end of the school to the other in small time, I did well.

I wasn’t unreasonable though- I panicked.

I saw a girl I hadn’t seen- staring at me. She was squinting, as if her eyesight wasn’t on her side. Then I heard Chanyeol- and ran my heart out. I was delaying the inevitable, considering we’re in the same Maths class.

‘Hey! Go back there!’ The voice spoke, but I shoved it to the back of my mind- ignoring its crazy talk.

Soon homeroom was over and the students flowed out the classrooms. They flooded the small hallways, an ocean of students draining into their first class as the waves continued to drive me back.

I went to the back of the classroom, sitting in my usual spot behind Sehun. He glowered when he noticed me enter the room- not expecting me to be back in school the next day. I simply ignored him, dumping my bag down and taking my book and pens out. The teacher was already here so he couldn’t do anything.

Teachers are an interesting thing in school. They must be human, but if they're a mythic then they have to prove resistance. For example, a vampire has to resist biting people- students tend to have an ‘irresistible’ taste. Of course, it’s easy if you don’t feed off human blood. That’s just the rule towards all mythics, humans alike. Don’t take advantage or abuse your power.

“What the hell are you doing here, y/n?” I didn’t look up, opening my book and finishing the homework from yesterday. “I’m here to learn, Sehun. Why?” He scoffed- I could feel his gaze yet he said nothing.

“It’s not like I come for the pejorative ways you are towards me.”  He sighed. I continued to work on the homework- though it was proving rather troublesome.

“The last one… it’s 3x2-6x.”

“I… thanks.” Sehun was confusing, I thought precariously.

“Ah! Miss, you're here! Attention students! We have a special young lady here! The Princess is now a part of this school as you’ve heard, and also this Maths class.!”

Looking to the front, I noticed Chanyeol and the teacher with a familiar girl. It seemed like I knew her, but I’d yet to talk to her, let alone know her. Chanyeol seemed ecstatic, along with the teacher who could barely let his smile rest.

The girl- the Princess it seems, wore a flower crown on her straight brunette hair. She wore sallow skin like any vampire would, yet it complimented the likes of her. Lipstick as red as blood had painted her dreary lips- curved in a sick smile that made her eyes crinkle. Her innocuous look was tainted by the tenure of her detrimental fangs that would kill in a bite.

I continued to observe- admire her, appreciating the way she treated the teacher with respect. She wasn’t a snob royal. The name Jennie left her lips- and I had never been fonder of a females’ name before.

It was all smiles and laughter till we locked eyes- and I was terrified. I’d never been more afraid yet entranced by a person before.  ‘Mate! She’s your mate! Become mates and never leave her side forever! Keep her safe and vow your life to hers!’

It seems I wasn’t the only one receiving the signals. Jennie wasn’t smiling anymore, furrowing her eyebrows as she tilted her head. She started to squint, as if analysing me on the spot whereas I started to have a panic frenzy in my mind.

Why was I being told to become mates with the Vampire Princess of all people? I asked myself.

I was starting to grow dizzy from this mess of a day.


owo enjoy :p

meow out.