003

Facade

Minji falls asleep in the class and Taehyung just chuckles seeing his friend sleeping like a kid. He caresses her hair as he knows that Minji is exhausted with all the works yesterday. Sir Jeon somehow arrives early and he regrets for coming early. ‘Why do I need to see this?’ He questioned himself as he saw Taehyung smiling looking at Minji.

He coughs a bit, making Taehyung realise his existence. “What are you doing here? It’s not your class today.” Taehyung says as he frowns looking at Sir Jeon in their class very early in the morning. “I know but I’m replacing a lecturer for today.” He nods and mined his own business. Jungkook takes a swift glance at Minji, who’s still sleeping. “Why is she sleeping?”

“She didn’t get enough rest after her work last night.” Taehyung says as he now focus back on his phone. ‘Work?’ He frowns and wonder there’s so many things she hides from him. It’s been a week since their family meeting and Jungkook just can’t forget the moment. “Isn’t she from a rich family?”

Now Taehyung totally focus on his lecturer. “How do you know that?”

“Well, as a lecturer I should know that.” He answers spontaneously.

And that makes Taehyung frowns. “But nobody knows about this except me.” Jungkook definitely doesn’t expect that. “I’m just guessing.” He tries to make himself busy as he doesn’t want to make eye contact with the best friend.

“No. How do you know that?”

Fortunately, luck is on Jungkook’s side. The rest of classmates enter one by one, saving him from critical moment. But Taehyung just wouldn’t let his lecturer go. ‘How does he knows that?’ That question keeps lingering in his mind.

 

This time as class ended, Jungkook didn’t call Minji and that’s a relief to her. Minji saw the way Taehyung looks at Jungkook. “Why are you looking at him like that?”

“Like what?”

“Like you want to murder him. What happened when I asleep?” Taehyung tells her that he’ll tell later once they eat. Somehow, Minji can’t help but to wonder why Jungkook didn’t call on her. ‘That’s good then.’ She shrugs as she follows Taehyung to the canteen.

 

After a very tiring day, Minji finally returns home. Taehyung has left early due to something personal. She bows to her boss and other staffs for their hard working. She sighs as she steps out of the fast food restaurant. Today was hectic, there’s so many people wants to eat. Nevertheless she feels proud that she managed it.

She stretches her body while breathe in the air. ‘Tomorrow’s weekend.’ She feels glad that she doesn’t need to meet her lecturer and have enough rest. Then, all of sudden a car screeched and stops in front of her. ‘What the-‘

A face that she hopes she wouldn’t see. “Hey.” Jungkook calls him with a small smile plastered on his face. “What are you doing here, Sir Jeon?” She raises her eyebrows with her hands inside her hoodie’s pocket. “It’s Jungkook.”

“What do you want, Jungkook?” He bites his lips and need to spill it. “Your dad is in hospital so your mom asked me to get you.” Minji gasps, almost scold her lecturer but stops right away and get onto his car. “What are you doing, Jeon? Get in the car.” Jungkook just doesn’t know how to react with that but a smile appears.

 

During drive, they somehow become awkward and Jungkook starts to ask her questions first. “Why are you working?”

“Because I want to show that I can be independent.” Minji says, looking outside the car. They become silent back but another question comes from Jungkook. “You really didn’t remember anything when we were child?” That question makes Minji stares at Jungkook. “I don’t know when I said such thing. I was like three, I guess.”

“You were 5 and I was 6. Of course you can remember those memory.” Minji somehow feels annoyed with him, crossed her arms, opposing his statement. “Well, I remember those situation but I can’t remember what I said and to whom.” Jungkook just chuckles. ‘Same old you.’

“But seriously, marrying you is what I said? That’s really bull.” Jungkook side glance her and bite his inner cheek. “Language please.” Minji rolled her eyes seeing how Jungkook still in his lecturer’s mode. “You really have bad memory. That’s what you said and you didn’t even let other girls play with me.” Minji widened her eyes and look back at Jungkook. “I did?” She mutters, steal a glance at Jungkook.

He nods mischievously and try to look at her reaction. “You were the one who made the promise. Saying I’m the one who should marry you and you don’t want to marry anyone else.” She blushed and think it’s absurd. How can a child think such way?

 

“I thought we’re going to hospital.” She says, trying to change the topic. Jungkook is caught off guard. “Well, t-that was just a statement.” Minji looks at Jungkook and squints her eyes. “What do you mean?” She pinches his side and Jungkook whines. “I didn’t meant to say that but your parents asked me to, knowing you wouldn’t go out with me.” Minji pinches his right arm. “Ah… stop it. I’m driving.”

“That’s what you get for lying to me.” She huffs and look aside. “I just finished my work and I thought I can have rest but here I am, with you.”

“Isn’t this what you want?” Jungkook smirks and he receives another smack. “Okay, I’m sorry.” He slightly raised his voice and Minji just glares at him. ‘Lucky you’re my fiancé or else I’m gonna kill you.’

They become silent again. Jungkook takes a glance on Minji’s hand. “Where’s your ring?” Minji looks bewildered and look at Jungkook. She saw Jungkook’s wearing a band of ring on his ring finger. “Our engagement ring.” Minji finally realise what’s Jungkook talking about. “Oh, I wear it with my necklace. I make it as a pendant.”

“Why?”

“I don’t really like wearing ring. I thought it was from mom although she knows I don’t like ring.” Minji stares at the ring that he’s wearing. “It’s actually from you.” Jungkook chuckles and hum. “Aunt wants something that can tie us together, so I get us pair of rings.”

Somehow the sudden talk make them realise that they actually miss each other. From the way Jungkook talks to Minji and from how she changed from being wild to gentle. They actually always have each other but what makes them apart? Well, of course studies and works.

They finally arrive in front of Minji’s house after drive through the city. Minji unbuckles her seatbelt and thanking Jungkook for sending her home. But before she can steps out of the car, Jungkook speaks. “Can I have one request?”

Minji heart starts pounding. ‘Is he gonna kiss me just like those movies or something else?’ She shuts her eyes for a while and turn back to look at Jungkook. “What?” She says impassively, not trying to show any emotion as what he’ll say.

 

“Can you please wear the ring so no one can bother you.”