Movement 8

The Last Sonata

Jaehyun knew it was impossible to simply stroll into a university and ask around for the whereabouts of a girl. Firstly, the school was huge. There were thousands of students registered and at least 5 must be called Yoojin. Secondly, he was an idol. No matter what happens, he had an image to uphold. Walking into a school asking for a girl was definitely not one of them. It was time to enlist some help. 

" Noona-ah. You're studying at Hanyang right?" Jaehyun had called his cousin, Dayeon. 

"Hi Jaehyun! You were so good-looking on stage! I'm so proud of you. And yes, I am. What do you need me to help you with?" Dayeon knew that her cousin must have needed some help. 

"I'm looking for this girl called Yoojin. I picked up something that belongs to her, but I haven't been able to contact her at all. Would you mind helping me to ask around and get her to contact me?" Jaehyun pleaded. 

"Don't worry too much, Jae. I'll find her and ask her to contact you. Wait for my good news!" 

A week later

Jaehyun wiped his perspiration and plopped down on the floor of their training room. He had been practicing non-stop for 4 hours for the upcoming Seoul concert. The training for the past week had taken his complete attention and he was glad for it. He was really getting distracted. He heard a slight vibration coming from the chair at the other end of the room. Mark, who was right next to the chair, located the source of the vibration. 

"who's yoojin, hyung?" Mark asked teasingly, unaware of the significance of the appearance of this name. Hearing that, Jaehyun quickly got up and took his phone. 

"Hi Jaehyun, I saw your cousin. She told me you were looking for me and seemed worried. I'm sorry for ignoring your messages and making you worry. I just felt really bad for not telling you the truth earlier, and things had happened. Shall we meet at Freedom Play when you're free?"

"Let's meet tonight." Jaehyun replied. 

--------

Jaehyun took a deep breath at the entrance of Freedom Play, and followed his way using the choppy sounds of the piano being played. It was obvious that Yoojin was playing, there was always a unique kind of feeling that comes with her playing- pure and simple, even though there was now a tinge of sadness mingled with that. He knocked on the door gently and heard the adrupt stop of the playing, followed by the shuffling of feet, before the door opened to reveal Yoojin. Jaehyun was slightly taken aback by her appearance. Yoojin had obviously been crying for a while. Her eyes were puffy and she looked listless. She stepped back and went back to sit on the piano chair. 

Jaehyun gingerly sat down next to her, and placed the photo on the score stand. Yoojin stared at the photo and she could feel her chest tightening almost immediately. At the least, she no longer cry just at the thought of him. 

"Thank you for taking your precious time out of your busy schedule to find and return this photo to me. I was being a jerk and ignoring your messages when you were just being so thoughtful towards me. I'm so sorry." YooJin apologised.

"No.. it's fine. I wanted to return it... What happened to him?" Jaehyun replied tentatively, afraid that he was being too intrusive, "It's fine if you don't want to say anything to me!" 

"No. You deserve an explanation for my awful behaviour. Daejoon was my boyfriend. We knew each other since we were 8 and even if he was not my partner, I never imagined a life without him by my side. We realised our feelings for each other when we were 17, that our feelings were more than just being best friends. He understood me more than I understood myself. I always liked the sound and the sight of him playing the piano. Moonlight Sonata was his favourite piece and he never failed to play it for me every time. Sometimes he tried to teach me, but I would always give excuses, saying that I could not read notes, that I had him to play it for me. I was blissed."

"But, 1 year ago, Daejoon got diagnosed with leukemia. He was optimistic that he would recover, as long as he treated his condition regularly. But, it just got worst. I saw him getting weaker and weaker, slowly being unable to carry out his daily routines. And I could see that he was devestated, even though he tried hard not to show me that he was. So, I thought I could lift up his spirits, motivate him to carry on fighting. I wanted to fulfil the one thing he always wanted me to do. I wanted to learn the song for him." 

"And then I met you, and you were so generous. You were willing to teach me even though I was a stranger. I lied because I was afraid you would not teach me if you knew that I could already play some parts. I could sense your interest in me afterwards, but I needed to learn from you. So I used your feelings even though I knew I was never going to return them. I should have told you the truth. I realised now that I was being selfish." 

"3 weeks ago, he lost the battle. He fought so hard but succumbed to the illness. I was so close to mastering the song, but I was too late. I hate to play this piece right now." 

"I'm so sorry." Jaehyun felt a tinge of wetness on his cheeks, and realised that he was crying. He felt so much sadness for the lack of fate of two lovers and the loss of a young promising life. He knew there was nothing he could say to make Yoojin feel better. However, he knew he wanted to do something for her. 

"Thank you for listening to me. I feel much better after telling you what happened. I appreciate everything you have done for me and I hope you will continue to shine bright. Thank you for treating me like a friend even though I don't deserve it." YooJin concluded, standing up to leave.

"What are you talking about. You are my friend and you will still be my friend." Jaehyun looked at her incredulously. "Do you really think I'm that petty to stop being friends with you over such a reason. I would be a real jerk if I did."

Yoojin felt tears forming at her eyes over Jaehyun's words and she felt a overwelming sense of gratefulness that she got to meet such a wonderful person.

"Thank you thank you thank you. I don't know how to repay your kindness." 

"You don't have to do anything, just promise me you will come for my upcoming concert. It would mean a lot if you did." 

"I promise."