Freedom Play

The Last Sonata

“Thank you for the hard work!!” JaeHyun, along with his other NCT members greeted all the staff and fellow groups around as they successfully completed their performance. It has been an incredibly long and exhausting day.  JaeHyun has been up since 6am in the morning, going for his training with s and rehearsing for the performance they just had. It is a relief to him that he does not have his radio program for that day. He could finally take a small break from all his schedule.

 

Beating the rest of the members to the showers the moment they reached their dorm, JaeHyun decided to go to one of his favourite hangout for a short while. After all, it has been awhile since he has went there.

 

“Hyung, where are you going?” Mark asked as he returned from the showers.

 

“Just going to Freedom Play ! I won’t be long!” JaeHyun pulled on his hoodie, grabbed his wallet and phone and went off.

 

The place was just a 10 minutes walk away from their dorm, available for those who could not afford the luxury to purchase a piano for themselves. Anyone could go there and use the pianos as long as they liked. JaeHyun always liked to go to Freedom Play  after his schedule. Nearing midnight, there were hardly anybody there and he could stay as long as he liked without being chased away. Jaehyun also liked how he just had to scan his ID and insert a small fee at a machine to obtain the key to a piano room there. He did not have to be afraid of being recognised at all. He did not have to be JaeHyun the idol.

Jaehyun sat down at the piano and started playing the songs that came into his mind. It was relieving to just go along the flow and lose himself in his playing. He was so engrossed that he had not realised nearly an hour had passed. Jaehyun’s phone chimed and he realised that Taeyong had sent him a message to come home soon. Jaehyun felt so reluctant to leave but there was a schedule in the morning. With a sigh, he got up and close the piano.

Suddenly, Jaehyun detected the soft sound of another piano playing.

“Who would be here playing at night?” Jaehyun found it weird that anyone would be here playing the piano at midnight. Most people were not crazy enough to be here so late. He strained his ears and realised with a start that Moonlight Sonata was being played. This was one of his favourite piano piece by Beethovan. JaeHyun didn’t think the person playing was a professional but he or she was trying their best to play it well. Even though it didn’t sound perfect, Jaehyun felt strangely drawn to the playing. He could feel raw emotions in the playing, and he wanted to listen to it all.

 

This was not possible, however, as the playing adruptly stopped. Jaehyun quickly ran out of the room but there was no one at all when he reached the entrance. Jaehyun felt so disappointed as he realised that the person must have left very quickly.

 

“Will I ever find out who was that person who played?”