Shock

Rainy Season

Taeyeon’s POV

 

“Sorry dad, please just take this as my first vacation after working my off for all of these years. I can’t go back to the hospital at the moment, I don’t think I can stay there without Jessica. I know, goodbye dad. See you at the end of this trip.” I put my phone back in my pocket as soon as the call ended. I smiled at the woman in front of me and handed her my passport. She took it politely and asked for my destination. I looked at flight schedules that were flashing on the electronic board behind me. The next flight to Korea will leave in 30 minutes. I took out my wallet and handed her my credit card.

“To Austria please.” I decided to keep my promise to my ex patient, I’m not getting on the flight with her. If destiny is on my side, we will meet again in a better circumstance. However, if the destiny is really on Yuri’s side, I will not hesitate to fight for Jessica.

 

End POV

 

“What? Did they tell you where?” Jessica stood in front of the convenience store of her old apartment building. Even though she tried to be positive, things were not doing good for me. After a ‘15 hours’ flight from America to Korea, she didn’t take a single rest and came straight to her aunt’s house. But as if fate is playing with her, her neighbor told her that her aunt’s family moved away from this place a long time ago. Don’t get her wrong, the fact that they moved was not what upset her but the fact that her children told her nothing about it even though she had been keeping in touch with them. She thanked the middle age lady before taking out her phone and started calling her aunt’s son. After many unsuccessful calls, she decided to just give up and went inside the store to at least get something to drink for the meantime. Unknown to her, as if fate really is not making it easy for her, Hayoung’s spy had already found her.

 

“Boss, she’s here.” A man dressed in blue jeans and black T shirt talked on the phone with a creepy smile on his face. Oh their poor gang is going to get a big reward today.

“Great, bring the van. You better make this quick. We can’t attract more attention. The polices are still monitoring us.”

 

Tiffany was in the shop preparing flowers for her customers when her phone rang. She put down the red rose carefully on the table as some of its thorn are still presented and she did not plan on getting injured this early in the afternoon. She walked up to the counter table that she put her bag on and picked up the vibrating gadget without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello” She picked up the cup of coffee that she brewed not too long ago and started sipping the not so hot beverage.

“I made up my mind.” She swallowed the liquid inside without taking the time to let enjoy its bittersweet taste. She had known Yuri long enough to get what she meant without even have to wait for her to finish her sentence.

“Yuri, I tell you already that this is not a really good idea. Sweetie, I’m happy and proud than anyone else in this world to hear that you decided to get up from your bed and go back to work but this job is not the best that you can find.” Tiffany said putting down her coffee mug on the table before handing the flowers catalog to the customers that had just walked in.

“I know but being a police officer was a big part of my life. I love it before and my feeling toward the profession hasn’t changed.”

“Yuri please listen to me”

“No Tiff, you listen to me. I too used to think that I’m over it. I will never go to that place and meet those people ever again. But yesterday when Chief Kim gave me the badge and the gun, Tiffany I have no idea how much I have been missing them until I see them right in front of me. How regretful I was when I have to let them go as soon as I got them. Tiffany I don’t think this opportunity will come to me again if I let it go this time.”

“But Jess…”

“Please stop. I’m not calling to argue with you. I’m calling to let you know because you are my sister and I want no one else but you to be proud of me. Maybe we can celebrate tonight. Don’t call me again if what you’re just going to stop me.” Tiffany sighed as the call had already ended. She wanted to stop Yuri but maybe this is for the best. She is a big girl, maybe letting her run for a while is okay. Maybe she will learn after she got hurt.

She was lost in her thought forgetting her customer until the third times that the customer tried to get her attention.

“Oh I’m sorry sir, have you found what you’re looking for.” The man shook his head and pointed his finger toward a beautifully arranged flower in the catalog.

“I want it done at 6pm sharp today.” The man said not so politely as he pointed out how busy he is as a businessman and she just wasted 10 minutes of his precious time. Tiffany politely smiled back and told the man to wait for just 5 more minutes for her to get his receipt. Maybe Yuri being a police officer isn’t so bad, she can call her to show the rude customers some manners. She bid goodbye to the man who walked out without even looked at her face as he snatched the receipt from her hand and made his way out. She sighed, this is not a really good day for her. She got her coffee mug back in her hand and started drinking it slowly, maybe she gets to enjoy the taste this time. But before she could, her phone started ringing again. Hmm she really can’t catch a simple break today. For the second times today she picked up her phone without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello” But it was not that important because this time even if she did look, she wouldn’t be able to recognize the number anyway.

“Hello Tiffany, this is Jessica.”

 

Yuri stood in front of the building in front of her, viewing all the scenario that happened years ago in her head. The row of police cars that she was once drove. She looked at the car plate of one of the car that parked among the other old one. The car had obviously been polished, the scars of battle even though were concealed still feel fresh to her. The bullets that were fired on the car, the worn out tires that were driving too fast and Jessica’s voice trying to wake her up after their car fell upside down the hill from being run over by his gang.

 

She did not disagree with what Tiffany said. Yuri remembered everything that she had been through. She remembers waking up with her body full of bruise. She remembers those narrow escapes that if she reacted for a second late, she may end up on dead bed. She remembers having to lie to Jessica about all of those wounds that she got every time she went on a date with her. That was why the decision to accept this job was not easy for her but if she has to start a new life. If she has to wake up from her lonely and depressed bed. If she lets go of so many things in her life. If she has to live without Jessica, can she at least keep this job. Can she start over as a police officer and lives as if she didn’t meet Jessica on that rainy day?

“Hey Yuri, I’m really glad to see you here. You have made the right choice.” Chief Kim smiled as his mission has completed. One of his best player is back on his team. He looked at the tall girl standing inside his office with the badge with her name on it and a gun and fully loaded.

“Yes chief, I…” But before Yuri could finish what she was there for, her phone started ringing. She took out the phone from her pocket and recognized it as Tiffany’s number. Even though she didn’t plan on accepting her nagging today, upon seeing another officer walked into the office with documents for Chief Kim, she excused herself to hear what her cousin was planning to say.

“Tiff, it’s too late okay? I’m already at the police station. I’m not backing out.” Yuri stared throwing rejection after rejection as soon as she answered and expected her cousin to yell at her. What she really didn’t expect was Tiffany’s panic voice.

“Yuri please come outside. I’m in front of the police station.” And she hung up. Yuri looked at her phone and the chief. The job was important but Tiffany was obviously shaking. Therefore, without a second thought, she ran out. Upon spotting Tiffany seated in waiting room, she ran up to her and got engulfed in a really tight hug. Tiffany was really shaking and panicking. She hugged her back and started petting the girl’s head.

“I’m here, don’t worry you are safe. Now tell me what happened?” Yuri asked trying not to sound panic and shaky herself. The last time Tiffany panic this much, was when Jessica got shot in the leg when the two of them went out to the amusement park but that is the story for another day.

“Jessica got kidnapped.” Yuri was shocked. She herself wasn’t sure why she was. Probably because she didn’t know Jessica was in Korea or probably because she didn’t know Tiffany kept in touch with Jessica. But one thing for sure is she is not going to care nor going to save her again.

“Why are you panicking? You’re at a police station. File a kidnapping report and let the police does their work.” Yuri replied as cold blood as she could manage to sound like.

“I know who kidnapped her. It was his men. He will kill her. He must have found out about her identity. If you don’t save, she’ll die.” Tiffany replied trying to hold on to the tall girl as she felt he cousin was trying to let go of her.

“That makes it even easier for those block head. You know who is the kidnapper, those policemen will find them by tomorrow. Don’t worry too much, alright?” Yuri replied back as she successfully got out of her cousin’s hug. She bid her goodbye and told her where she should go to make the report and to go back to her shop after she is done.

“I’m going back to Chief Kim’s office. Please don’t bother me with that girl’s nonsense ever again.”

“Yuri, Jessica is blind.” Maybe the other reasons for shock were unclear, this one definitely was crystal clear. Yuri was shock.