Shouldn't two people who love each other be together?

Rainy Season

 

“Yuri, this case is very important for our team. If we solve it before the other team does, all of us will get promoted. You’ve been working here for two years now. Don’t you want to be a team leader?” Team leader Kim was right, it had been a while since Yuri had been working her off for the team, all of them should get promoted but this is no simple case. The person they were trying to catch was the one of the most powerful mafia boss in Korea, there are a lot of evident exposing his crime but none of his victims were alive nor had the gut to go against him.
“The victim wishes to keep her identity hidden and had asked someone else to meet us on her behalf. That person had agreed to meet with us but she requested for you and you only, nobody else can go. So dress nicely and work out your charm, we must speak to the victim at all cost.” That was all her team leader said before she was pushed out of the van, she can’t help but wonders who would that person be, is it a she or a he? Why did the only female police officer on the team be requested alone, now that she thinks of it, that person sounded like weirdo or even worse ert. She strengthened her clothes and fixed her hair with the help of her reflection that coming out of the restaurant door. Taking a deep breath and praying in her head that whoever she was meeting wasn’t some erted person, she wouldn’t want to arrest him or her before she could get to the victim.
“Hello, I’m Kwon Yuri, the officer that is working on Ms. Jung Sooyeon’s case.” Her eyes widen simply because in front of her was no old middle age lady who stayed single over enormous ego but a very pretty young lady in her formal attire. She stood up from her chair and shook the officer’s hand and flashed her a small smile.
“Hi, my name is Jessica, Ms. Jung Sooyeon’s lawyer.”

 

“That was how we met, me and Jessica.” The bearded man nodded his head at Yuri but his eyes didn’t leave the food that he was eating, she smiled at the satisfaction on his face when he got a spoon full of Kimchi Soup in his mouth. She was sure that the old man was not going to remember her anyway and to him, she may be just a stranger who chose to bother him in the middle of the park and that made it a lot easier for her to tell him just about everything she wanted to.
“You know I always think that nothing in this world happened by chances. I’m sure that I was meant to be a police officer, I was meant to get fired and maybe getting back on the force wasn’t an accident either. I really don’t mind any of those difficulty that I went through and I quite thankful toward them but I find it so unfair that I ended up meeting her on the job and I find it unfair that I fell in love with her.” She paused for a while to opened a can of hot beverage for the old man, the weather had become colder lately, consider him being outside all day he may ended up being sick.
“But now that she suddenly comes back, I don’t even know what to think. I thought I had moved on but my heart doesn’t feel so good after seeing her again. What worse is I start to think that maybe she didn’t break my heart willingly, maybe her being blind wasn’t a coincident. Maybe just maybe-” The tan girl stopped for a while when tears started falling down her cheek, she didn’t know what made her cry but she knows for sure that her heart didn’t go far away from the ex-lawyer. “Maybe she broke up with you because she was going blind.” The old man continued her sentence as if he was reading words from a paper or something, as emotionless as his voice sounded the tan girl was hoping that what he said was true. Maybe Jessica wasn’t that heartless after all but who was she kidding? It had been five years, if she really did love her, wouldn’t she be coming back sooner?


“You’d better get home before midnight or else I’m going to make your life a living hell.” Tiffany dropped her body down on the sofa after sending the text to her cousin. She couldn’t believe the tan girl would leave Jessica in the apartment alone, she couldn’t wait ten minutes for her to get home first. She turned her attention to the kitchen and looked at the two used plates that were sitting in the sink, at least Yuri kept her promise on feeding Jessica. That is a positive step right? Maybe it is better this way, keeping these two near each other for a while. Maybe soon they will warm up to each other like two stranger cats but who is she kidding? Even for cats, sometime they won’t get along with each other no matter how long it takes which is understandable for they were complete strangers. What about two people who had so much tragic history between them? What are the chance of her fixing this broken relationship? Even if the chance is high, would both of them wanted it to be fixed?

“Oh my god Jessica, what happened?” The shop owner screamed when she arrived in her bedroom and witnessed the scene in front of her, Jessica sat on the floor with pieces of broken cup beside her. Her left foot and hands were bleeding evidently from stepping on it and picking it up after. Poor girl
“I just wanted to drink some water. I’m so sorry Tiffany. I’ll clean it up.” Jessica said slightly panicking but that wasn’t the thing that concerned Tiffany, the blind girl’s eyes looked puffy, it seemed like she was crying. Did anything happened between the two of them when she was gone? But that was not the time to interrogate her.
“No, you are injured. Let me take you back to the bed.” The younger girl said as she guided the older girl up despite her protest. She let her sit safely on the bed before putting her injured leg up a little to not let the wound rubbed against anything accidently.
“This seemed familiar huh?” Jessica nodded her head at the younger girl’s sentence not really sure if she saw it since she could hear Tiffany went in and out of the room probably to clean the broken cup and to bring the first aid kit. She was right, it was familiar. Tiffany used to make jokes about how she should be a doctor or a nurse instead of a florist since she took care of Jessica and Yuri far so often that she finally mastered the craft.

“Oh my god, what happened?” Tiffany screamed out when she opened the door only to see Yuri with an unknown girl passing out on her back. Yuri had a cut on her lips, cheeks, arms and possibly everywhere else much like the other girl.
“Let me in, would you?” The taller girl said without waiting for her younger sister to process what was going on, she walked past her into the living room and placed the girl on her back softly on to the sofa. Tiffany sighed and closed the door, she couldn’t say that the scenario in front of her wasn’t something that had happened before but she was sure Yuri had never brought anyone over to her place before especially not in this state. She walked into the bathroom and got the first aid kit, when she came back she noticed that the tan girl had removed hers and the girl on the sofa’s outer clothes.
“Her name is Jessica. She is someone that is very important to me.” Those were the only words that Yuri managed to say. It had been ten months since they met and even though she still didn’t meet Jung Sooyeon, she had gotten to know Jessica really well. They spent every day and night together trying to find him and when they finally did, they were almost got killed by his men in the car chase.

"You love her, don’t you?” Her younger sister asked. It was not a surprise to Yuri that Tiffany could tell that easily. After all, they had always been very close since they only have each other in this world. The younger girl smiled when Yuri nodded her head saying yes to her question, she was glad that the taller girl finally found someone, although she didn’t know how did they ended up in this state, she wished they never left each other’s sides.

Jessica used to feel so bad about crushing in Tiffany’s apartment and leaving right after without a proper goodbye but now she feels even worse to rely on her like this.
“How are you feeling now? Better?” Tiffany asked after all of Jessica’s wounds were . She looked proudly at the wound dressings that she made, even after all these years she still possesses the skill.
“Yes, thank you so much. Thank you for taking care of me and letting me staying here like this. I will make sure to get out as soon as possible.” The older girl said feeling like crying again, why is the place that used to be so familiar feel so unwelcomed now?
“Hey don’t you ever say that to me again. Please stay here as long as you want, okay? Don’t worry about Yuri.” The younger girl paused for a while that Jessica started to wonder if she changed her mind and tried to figure how she could take those words back but for as long as she remembered Tiffany was not that type of person. “To be honest, I really think the two of you should talk and clear out all the misunderstandings. You shouldn’t keep my sister in the dark like that. I’m rooting for the two of you to be together again.” Jessica sighed internally, even though she was glad the younger girl didn’t change her mind, she was sure that Yuri would never want to be back together and she wasn’t sure she would want to be a burden for her for the rest of her life either.
“Hey no pressure. Don’t worry about what I just said, I was just being silly. You guys are adults, you have a lot of things to think about so take your time, okay? By the way, I’ll make us dinner so that you can rest after we eat. Just call my name when you want something.” Tiffany got up from her sitting position and started organizing the first aid kit box but Jessica placed her hand on hers stopped her from leaving. She looked at the injured who was biting her lips as if she was thinking hard on whether or not her question would be appropriate to ask. The younger girl smiled, Jessica didn’t change at all. The way she got nervous every time she asked a personal question, the way she pondered hard before doing something and the way she acted so awkwardly around Tiffany. The florist placed her hand on the blind girl’s and encouraged her to say what was on her mind.
“Why did you want me to get back with Yuri? Isn’t she already in a relationship right now?” Jessica voiced out the question without taking a single breath, she kept silent and waited for the younger girl’s answer not really sure if she wanted to know the real answer. If Yuri is indeed in a relationship, should she be happy for her or sad for herself? After all, it was what she wishes for, right? She wished for Yuri to move on and find someone who isn’t going to spend their whole life burdening her, who had a proper career and who can take care of Yuri the way Yuri used to take care of her. Yes, those were her wishes and she still wants only the best for her past lover but why does her heart feel like it is being ripped out of her chest?
“What are you talking about? What relationship?” Tiffany asked grabbing the older girl’s attention, knowing her, she would be giving her a confuse face right now but Jessica was more confused about the situation.
“Her name is Hayoung, right?” Saying the older girl was confused before was an understatement because she is even more confused right now when Tiffany started laughing her off and judging by how hard her body moved, Jessica could sense that she might end up felling off of the bed. She sat patiently waiting for the laugher to die down and for the younger girl to clear up for her but her heart was impatiently wanting to hear that Yuri was single. It was selfish but don’t we all do the same if we still have feeling for our exes?
“That girl is not her girlfriend. She may be hanging on to her like a koala but I don’t think her sister would want to do anything with her and even if she wants to, I won’t allow it.” Jessica couldn’t help but smiled upon hearing Tiffany’s words. She was a bit worry that the younger would see it and thought that she was some weirdo but her lips just curled up and she didn’t how to bring them back down. Suddenly being near the taller girl again didn’t sound so bad after all, she wouldn’t wish for Yuri to still love her but she just wishes that the tan girl would let her stay by her side a little longer.