Regret

Rainy Season

“So who will be welcoming you at the airport when you’re arrived in Korea?” Taeyeon asked after informing the taxi driver about their destination. She looked at the woman sitting straight up at the back of her seat. She looked nervous. Should she really let her boarding the plane alone?

“No one. I will go to the hospital as soon as I land.” Taeyeon looked at her in worry. Was she not feeling well? Should they go back to the hospital? A part of her was worrying about her crush’s health but another was being happy that maybe she won’t have to go after all.

“If you’re not feeling well, we should delay the discharge until you are.” To her surprise her ex patient laughed which only confused her even more.

“No silly, I’m only going to visit an aunt. She was the sweetest person in the world. When I had no one, she was like a mother to me. I had promised myself that I have to go back to her no matter what.” What Jessica said brought a smile to the doctor’s face. She does have someone else who is more important than Kwon Yuri. She took a swift glance at the woman before clearing trying to contain the happiness from showing in her voice.

“That is great.” Jessica smiled at Taeyeon’s words. It seemed impossible but still it worked. It took them five years to be able to talk to each other without arguing finally.

 

Ding Dong

 

The sound of bell ringing broke the sad moment between the two cousins who was hugging each other. Yuri broke their hug first as Tiffany was still sobbing. She put her hand on her face before gently wiping her tears away. The younger cousin gestured her to get the doorbell before walking into the toilet trying to calm herself down. Yuri looked into the camera surprise to see the visitor but still opened the door for the person anyway.

“Hello sir, please come in.” She greeted and invited the middle age man in as soon as he stepped through the door. He changed his shoes before making his way toward the living room and sit himself on the sofa. He looked at the stack of brown envelop on the coffee table before putting his on top of them.

“Hello Yuri, how are you?” Yuri walked up to the man and sit in front of him. She turned her attention toward the wall clock behind the television and sighed. As always he didn’t care.

“I’m doing fine, sir. I hate to be rude but why are you here? It is already midnight.” The man didn’t reply her instead he picked up his brown envelop and took out a white paper, a gun and a police batch before handing them to Yuri.

“Sir, we’ve been over this. I’m not going back to the team.” Tiffany walked out of the bathroom as soon as she heard the commotion. She looked at the familiar man in front of her, Chief Kim. As much as she wanted Yuri to get a job, she never wanted to get back into such a dangerous career consider how she got out in the first place. Chief Kim looked at the younger cousin’s face and clearly knew that his intention had been declined by them but as usual he didn’t give damn.

“Yuri, I understand the pain that you went through. All you wanted to do was to protect her but look it had been years, no one will remember it. No one is searching for her anymore. That guy is still in jail. The higher up is already over this, they won’t be grilling you about her identity in the future. You’re the best police officer in our team, letting you go was the worse decision for us.” Yuri took the batch from the man’s hand and examine it. It was still new with her name written clearly on it. She remembered the day that she got it. The day that she successfully put him in jail after 3 years of trying. The day that she got fired for protecting the one who she ended up falling in love with. Even after everything she went through, she had never regretted throwing away everything to save her life. To be honest, she did miss her job for she had been training for it her entire life. After being let off, she walked random jobs to just escape from boredom but honestly those simple jobs did a better job on keeping the people she loved on the safe side.

“I will think about it. You can go, sir.” Tiffany waited until the Chief Officer left before deciding to ask for her cousin’s opinion on the matter.

“Yuri, please tell me you still consider to take this job.” Seeing her quiet cousin looking at the batch and gun that were still on the coffee table, she knew exactly what she was thinking.

“Do you not remember what they did to you? You risked your life for them but they let you off just because you decided to keep the witness’s identity to yourself. Yuri, Jessica…” She was fighting within herself about whether or not she should mention her name but screw it if she didn’t throw some senses at Yuri, she will not stop.

“Jessica didn’t know about this. If you go back, don’t you think there are chance that she will know and she will get hurt?” Yuri laughed bitterly at her cousin finding ridiculous to talk about the person who was longer present.

“Why do I actually care what she thinks? I still pray everyday for her to drop dead. Oh before you ask, yes I regretted doing those stuffs for her. If I could turn back time, I would gladly tell them her name and keep my job.” Tiffany looked at her older cousin’s turn back disappeared behind her bedroom door. She knew that she didn’t mean those words. She knew that no matter how much Yuri hated Jessica, she would never regret saving her life ten years ago.

 

“Hayoung, what are you doing back here? I thought you already went home.” Hayoung walked pass the bartender without answering his question. She walked straight to her sister sitting on the VIP lounge and sit in front of her.

“Is my guest here yet?” She picked up a glass of red wine and sipped it into . She liked the smell and the feeling that came from alcohol. Owning a club isn’t bad after all. She looked at the VIP room in front of her which her sister gestured her that her guest was in. She put the glass back down on the table, and walked into the not so well lit room.

“Hey, the lady boss is here.” She looked disinterested at the man in front of her, still she needed him. She took a sit beside him as he put her arm on her shoulder. She looked at him in disgust but let him be anyway.

“So what do you need help with?” It seemed like he also knew her intention because otherwise why would she call him? She took a picture of a woman and handed it to him. He picked it up and gestured his gang members to open the light so he could see.

“What do you want me to do? Kill her? Sent her to the brothel?” Hayoung looked at the guy as if he was insane. She looked at the picture of the beautiful lady. Hey maybe his suggestion wasn’t bad after all.

“Do whatever you want with her. Her name is Jessica. Make sure she won’t show up in front of my face.” The man looked at her and smiled. That was what he excels in.

“So what are you going to give me in return?” He replied as he ran his hand through her hair. She turned to face him and slapped his hand off before putting an envelope on the table.

“If you get the job done well, maybe my father will have more jobs for your wash out gang.” Hayoung stood up as soon as she finished her sentence. She didn’t understand why she had to step down as low as this. She looked at the man who was clearly angry at her last remark. What did he expect? With its leader in jail, did he expect his gang to not be called a failure. He should be happy that she even gave him her time of day just because his gang had crossed path with Yuri before.

 

“I will say goodbye from here. Since I won’t be coming out after checking in.” Jessica said after thanking Taeyeon for carrying her luggage for her. The short girl looked left and right, there were still pretty crowed here. She really didn’t want Jessica to board the plane alone but what else can she do?

"Goodbye. Have a safe flight.” She said before sending her off. With a heavy step and a heavy heart, she walked out of the airport. Should she really do this? Letting someone so fragile going alone on that very far journey? She took off her bag and opened it. She took out her passport and her wallet. She knew she had promised Jessica that she won’t be boarding the plane with her but right now her heart wavered.