Farewell

Rainy Season

3 months later

 

Yuri’s POV

 

Just like how I’ve been living for the past five years, here I am at the same place doing the same thing. I looked at the empty glass in my hand … sighed… how many bottle of alcohol had I been consuming? I don’t even know anymore. I looked at the burning cigarette in my other hand and wondered, is this the second one? Putting it into my mouth and taking a long puff, ah this is life. The new life without her.

 

“Hey Kwon, how long have you been here? Already long gone before us?” I put my cigarette down before turning my head to the intruder. They were my friends, my new friends in my new life.

“Hey Choi, why are you so late?” I asked as Minho and his group sat down opposite of me.

“Well it’s not my fault, it was hers.” Playing with the glass in front of him as if it was something else other than a boring transparent thing. I scanned them from one to one but none of them was female, so I decided to bring the obvious question.

“Who…?”

“Oppa!” But before I could even finish the question, a girl got through the door and jumped on my laps. What the? Aish I glared at my so called friend, annoyed. Why did you tell her I’m here? I mouthed at him only to be ignored.

“I’m not an Oppa, get off my laps before I throw you off like last time.” I said sternly before bringing my hand up warning her. She is going to go through the same thing when I reached three. She looked and me pouting her lips. I couldn’t care less.

“You’re so mean.” She said while getting off of me. Finally…

“Why are you even here?” I asked getting my attention to the puffing stick between my hand.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m here for you but as usual you don’t care.”

“Well good that you know your place.” I asked as I looked at the other guy sitting in front of us obviously annoyed with the scene playing in front of him. How can he get girl with that attitude?

“It is not good for a girl like you to be out so late, Hayoung. You should go home.” I said trying to play cupid.

“Really? Would you take me?” She said clinging to my arm, why is this girl so touchy freely?

“No but I guess Sehun can take you, right Sehun?” I said grabbing the jealous guy’s attention. He got startled but managed to compose himself before answering.

“Of course I can.” He answered excitedly as he fished out his adorable smile. What a cute kid.

“No, I want you to take me.” Everyone put down their glasses and looked at her clearly surprise. Me? I was kind of embarrassed for her…

“I…I mean…I want you to take me home.” She said while looking down. Her face was as red as the red wine that we were drinking. Still she was not letting go of my arm. The cutest. Out of the girls I have been playing with, Hayoung was the cutest. The only reason that I can’t never get into bed with her was because of Sehun. The young man has been crushing on her for god know how long. His loyalty was the only reason that brought us to this club called 50 Shades of Pink. As the daughter of the club owner, Hayoung came to the club occasionally and that was how she became close to us. However, no matter how much he tried, she never landed her eyes on him. If the person that she was attracted to was not me, I wouldn’t even care to meddle in.

“Well I’m not interest in going anywhere with you, so you either go with Sehun or go by yourself.” The other guys looked at us like this was the most entertaining scene of the year. Really guys? I think is much more entertaining than this.

“Don’t you worry that someone would kidnap me if I go alone?” I turned to face her before taking her hands of my arm.

“Why would I be worry? I don’t even give a about you right now.” I turned back to my glasses after saying goodbye to her. Well that was my goodbye. I looked up from my glass when I heard door closing. Sehun was leaving with her. I know it was harsh but I meant it when I said I don’t care. After what happened five years ago, I don’t even want my heart to go through anything like that ever again.

 

Author’s POV

 

Balloons hanging on the wall, the dull color of the hospital wall were decorated by the colorful vase full of flowers that were standing beside them. The bland, healthy and boring food were replaced by pizza, spaghetti and unhealthy drink like coke. At least for once, the patients who can, should enjoy this freedom of the outside world. For once, the doctors, the nurses and the patients should enjoy the feeling of familiarity. For once, they should feel like the same human species living in the same world. Dr. Kim walked into Jessica’s room with a while color vase filled with white roses.

“How are you feeling?” He asked the girl sitting on her bed as he place the vase beside her.

“Excited.” Jessica replied

“You really are excited. I never see you smile so wide before.” He said as he started checking her condition with the nurse beside him recorded everything he called out.

 

“Are you not going to say goodbye to her?” The nurse asked Taeyeon. She couldn’t help it. The doctor had been sitting in desk all day since she came in this morning.

“She doesn’t need my farewell.” Taeyeon replied back without looking up from the many patient profiles under her hands.

“Enemies are closer than friends. Your goodbye may mean more to her than your hello.” The nurse replied. Taeyeon sighed, why can’t she act like everyone else who scare of her to dead to even try to intrude in her private life like this?

“I have never said hello to her!” She argued like a small child, well consider her height maybe she is still a child after all.

“That is why you should say goodbye to her.” The nurse replied and bowed at the annoyed doctor before taking her leave.

“She got me again.” Taeyeon said under her breath, but did not object to the sense that the nurse had made. She put down her pen in its holder and arranged her messy files. She walked up to the hanger and put on her white coat.

“Maybe I should say goodbye.”

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I walked out of my office into the hall that was well decorated. Today my father decided to throw a farewell party for Jessica. This is our tradition. We throw party every time a patient got discharged from the hospital. Why, you may ask? ‘Well because of our hospital’s specialize field, every patient who survived deserves a party to celebrate their new life’ those were my father’s words. Before I met Jessica, this party doesn’t mean anything to me. Patient comes and goes, it never matters to me whether they left on their feet or inside the casket. However, for Jessica, this party is the only thing that I hate to see today. I was glad to see she survive but I hate to see her leaving this place. I hate to see her leaving me. I stopped in front of her room to see my father still doing her last check-up. She looked happy, I have never seen that smile before.

“We are all done. Enjoy your party today. No matter how excited you are, you should sleep well today.” She nodded her head excitedly like a small child who just got a permission to play.

“Taeyeon, why are you here?” I bowed at my dad as he walked out of her room.

“You said you were too busy to give your patient her last check-up. Looks like you have done with your work. Jessica, enjoy your party with your doctor.” My dad continued. He enjoyed roasting me as usual.

“Thank dad!” I said, yes thank you for getting the unwanted attention. He patted my back and walked away. Just how much did he know about my privacy. I walked into the room and stood beside her bed.

“How are you feeling?” Jessica was still smiling. I wished she smile like that to me at least once.

“Your dad had just asked me the same thing.” She said as she brought her hand up to the white flower on her lap. My dad must have given it to her.

“Who know? Maybe you answer it differently.” I really hope she answer differently.

“I’m excited, Taeyeon.” But she didn’t.

“Good for you.”

“Thank you”

“What is your plan after this place?” I asked, maybe just maybe knowing how she will be living from now on, assure my worry heart a little bit.

“You know the answer to that question will only make us fight again.” She said it like we were married couple. I would love that anyway.

“You’re right, we shouldn’t spend your last day here arguing. Enjoy your party.” I said as I took my leave. In the end I could never say my goodbye to her.

 

Author’s POV

 

“Why are you even following me out here?” Hayoung said annoyingly, still she got in the car as Sehun opened the door for her.

“You shouldn’t go home alone. It is not safe.” He said before putting on her seatbelt. She threw her handbag on the car’s dashboard and sighed angrily.

“If you like her that much, you shouldn’t get angry when thing doesn’t go your way.” Sehun said looking at his longtime crush.

“We’ve known each other for a long time already. She plays with all those girls but why is she only being mean to me?” She said putting her attention on him.

“Is that what you want? For her to play with you like how she plays with all those girls?” He asked as he started his car.

“Of course not. It’s just so frustrating. What do I lack? I’m pretty, rich and popular, anyone would be lucky to have me.”

“But you are not Jessica.” Hayoung looked at the one time chauffeur, curious that he brought up the name even after all these years.

“Of course I’m not her, I would never hurt Yuri like that.”

“It was more than that.”

“What do you mean?”

“What that girl did to Yuri was more than hurting her. What she did was making Yuri living like she is dying. Yuri gave to Jessica more than love. She loves her enough to give the world to her if she can.” Sehun said, Hayoung looked at him like she was ready to kill someone.

“Sehun, do you love me as much as Yuri love Jessica?” Sehun stopped the car and looked directly at the girl in front of him. Had she known about his feeling all along?

“Y..yes I do.” He stuttered

“Then would you hurt that girl for me?”

“W…who?”

“Jessica”