Living, breathing hell

Rainy Season

Five years later

A women dressed in a white gown walked into the hospital’s kitchen. She smiled at the people inside. Despite their activities of running around busily preparing dinner for all the patients, none of them were acting grumpy toward her. Instead one of them brought a box and gave it to her.

“ Here for the cake? ” She gave the woman a smile and took hold of the box.

“ How are you holding up? ”

“ I’m okay, I’m still trying. I will get going, have a nice day everyone. ” She waved goodbye to them and went away. The woman looked at her in sympathy. She can’t understand why everything has to be this hard for the young girl.

“ Poor kid. It’s been 5 years and she’s still trying. ” One of her coworkers put down her knife and looked at her.

“ Hey she’s still breathing and walking, that’s good enough. Let’s get back to work. ”

 

The girl walked into a white room and sit herself on her bed. A nurse had come in to help her. She stared blankly in front of her and tear started streaming down her face. What happened? How did it come to this? The nurse walked up to her and put a phone in her hand.

“ It’s already pass December 5th in South Korea. ” She wiped up her own tear and clutched to the phone in her hand.

“ Can you lit the candles for me? ” The nurse smiled and started putting up the small colorful candles that she had brought with her.

“ Do you want to make a wish? ”

“ No, she wouldn’t want that. ”

“ How come? ”

“ Because I was the one who destroyed her life. ” The nurse looked at the woman as she broke down in tear again. She thanked for the heaven that the phone started ringing, the woman shouldn’t be so sad. It’s not good for her health.

“ Do you want me to answer it for you? ” The nurse took the shook head as a sign for her to go. She took the cake and walked out of the room. Fire would be unsafe for the patient like her.

“ Hello ” Hearing her hoarse voice, the person at the other line knew that she had been crying.

“ Jessica, how are you? ” Jessica leaned back on her bed. Even though she knew that the question will only hurt her, she had to ask.

“ Did she have a great party? ” The other person sighed as she had expected the question that had been asking over and over for 5 years.

“ Jessica please ”

“ I want to know ”

“ It will only end up hurting you. ”

“ Tiffany please… tell me ”

“ She had a party, came home drunk with three girls. She is still sleeping right now. ”

“ Does she still hate me? ”

“ Jessica stop, you’re only going to hurt yourself. ”

“ So she still does. ” Tiffany could only sigh.

“ Is she still… ” She couldn’t even voice out the word.

“ Smoke and drink? Yes ” Her heart sank. Jessica took a deep breath trying not to cry more. Unknown to her another pair of sad eyes looking at her from the small ajar of the hospital door. The person turned her head to nurse that was responsible for the annoying phone call.

“ I told you not to give the phone to her. ”

“ How am I supposed to do that? She’s dying to see her. ” The nurse was trying to voice out a reason that won’t fuel her boss’s anger any longer.

“ Isn’t that a clear reason not to give it to her? ” Wrong reason

“ Today is 5th December, it’s Yuri’s birthday. ” Even more wrong.

" Ridiculous, you’re not only ignoring my order to put the phone away but you celebrate that person’s birthday with her too? ” She was beyond pissed.

“ Taeyeon please… ” Before the nurse could fuel her anger more, the voice inside stopped her.

“ Does she still wish for me to be dead? ” That’s it, how ridiculous. Before Tiffany got a chance to reply, Taeyeon walked in and yanked the phone from Jessica’s hand and threw it to the wall breaking it into pieces in a split second.

“ What are you doing??? ” Jessica screamed on top of her lung upon hearing the smashing sound.

“ What am I doing? What are you doing? Are you out of your mind? It’s been 5 years Jessica. 5 years, she was almost die but didn’t neither did you. Things happen, just accept it and go on. Why do you have to live so pathetically? ”

“ Because I don’t deserve to, I deserve to be like this after everything I’ve done to her. ”

“ I can’t believe this. Look at you right now, if she actually in love with you, she would be here. Why are you so naïve? Do you think love is everything? ”

“ Don’t talk as if someone like you actually know what love is. ” Jessica replied without even turning her head to Taeyeon’s direction. It was like Taeyeon didn’t exist in front of her and that angered Taeyeon even more. The nurse stood aside not knowing how to interfere. It was as if the room was divided into two sides between Taeyeon and Jessica. The two had always been different since the first time Jessica came to America to stay at the hospital. As someone who was specialize in the field of Jessica’s health problem, Taeyeon was aside to treat her. The two hated each other at first glance. As someone who had known Taeyeon since a little kid, the nurse knew that Taeyeon has a kind heart, she just didn’t put value in love matter. While Jessica who came out of nowhere with a broken heart that didn’t seem possible to fix. They just don’t understand each other.

“ More like someone like me doesn’t give a damn about petty little thing like that. ”

“ If you’re going to act like this, just get out. ” Jessica said in disinterest. She pulled her comfort up trying to block Taeyeon out.

“ How long are you planning on keeping this up? ”

“ For the rest my life. ”

“ Why? ”

“ Because that’s just how much I owe her.”

“ You know what? As long as you’re here, I’m forbidding you from this nonsense. ”

“ Who are you to control my life??? ”

“ This is my hospital and you’re my patient. I have every right to stop you from screwing yourself up for some stupid bitc… ” Taeyeon stopped herself in the middle of her sentence when Jessica started crying. The nurse smiled, Taeyeon really does have a heart and that heart may not be far away.

“ There are only three months left. You can do whatever you want after you leave this place because I have no right over you after that. ” Taeyeon looked at Jessica one last time before making her way out of the room.

 

Tiffany looked at the phone in her hand to see if Jessica planning on calling her back. She sighed for the nth time today. She walked into Yuri’s bedroom to check on the previously drunk girl. Her bed was such a mess obviously from all the so called fun she had last night. She walked up to the cigarette packs on top of the nightstand and took half of them out. How long is she going to keep living like this? After the accident that happened on a rainy day, Yuri although was lucky to be alive, had changed into a completely different person. She couldn’t even recognize her as a kind heart, responsible person anymore. She spent every night clubbing, drinking, smoking and sleeping around. Tiffany had to be a responsible adult and came into her life to take care of her. She hopes that one day Jessica and Yuri would be able to be together again but how long can her hope go? She took a sit on the bed beside the sleeping girl and caressing her hair just how she like.

“ Yuri ah, you know that Jessica never mean to break up with you right? You know how much she loves you right? Both of you could have been happy instead of living in hell like this. ” Tiffany thought, she wishes she never had to hide anything from Yuri but this is for the best.