Temporary happiness

Rainy Season

Taeyeon’s POV

 

I looked at the reflection of myself in the mirror and voiced out quietly “Why are you so sad? Your life is perfect, I wish I were you.” Turning my body to the busy street outside, taking a deep breath and swallowing back the tears that were threatening to fall.

My name is Kim Taeyeon. My dad is the most famous neurosurgeon in America. Together he and my mother built the best and most expensive hospital in the country. According to this little background, there is no surprise that I as the only child of them would become a neurosurgeon too. Indeed I am, spending almost all of my life pursing and fighting through everything to get my parents’ acknowledgment by becoming the only thing they were hoping to build me into. In my own hospital, I was nicknamed as heartless by everyone behind my back of course. However, that doesn’t affect me for I am heartless not by chance, my parents made me this way. I’m not sure about the reason why my father loves being a neurosurgeon so much so that after doing it for more than 40 years, he still in love with it. One thing I’m sure of is that being a neurosurgeon is the right path for him because if he has to treat everything else other than brains, he may have been warmer to me. Instead he turned me into a cold hearted person today. Don’t get me wrong, my parents love me, since I was a child, I don’t have to work a day in my life. I spent most of my time in my dad’s study and read every books in his possession. My mother despite being a housewife, never made an effort to change me to anything else other than a bookworm, introverted and quiet person. I was pampered with everything from toys, cars, money, luxuries, I can have everything in the world. However, my whole life, I have always knew that there is missing from this paradise and what missing was happiness.

 

I have been spending my life trying to fill the whole inside me but have given up a long time ago. I have been living my life doing the job that I thought I was put on this Earth to do. I looked through hundreds of patient profiles, diagnosing and treating them each day. I never once think that saving them means more to me than just an obligation and a punishment on my part. Not until I met her…

 

Author’s POV

Flashback

 

It was a rainy night. The rain was so heavy that storm can be a possibility at this moment.

“Doctor! Doctor! Please get me a doctor.” A man seemed to be in his 30s who got soaked from head to feet rushed into the hospital while carrying a lady in this arms. He screamed frantically left and right trying to spot a person in white coat on the busy day.

“Calm down Mister. Please put her down on this bed and tell us what happens.” A nurse rushed to him and ushered him to a nearby hospital bed.

“No I don’t think there is time. Doctor please check on her. I can’t take any responsible for this.” He rushed to the first doctor he saw since he set his foot inside the building, still not putting the girl down, he gripped on doctor’s arm.

Taeyeon who was in a white coat was busy checking on the patients nearby when an unknown man covered in sweat gipping on her with his dirty hand. She spared a glance at the girl in his arm and turned back to her previous patient. The nurse was sweating hard, no one should ever bother Taeyeon when she was working.

“What is this commotion about?” Asked a voice that made the nurse sweat even more than Taeyeon’s. The voice belonged to none other than Taeyeon’s dad, Dr. Kim. The man let go of Taeyeon’s coat and rushed to the old man.

“Please help me” He said

“Put her on the bed.” He said sternly, the man finally calmed himself down and put the lady on the bed. Dr. Kim started examining her and after he was done, he turned back to the man.

“Describe what happened.” He said

“I’m a taxi driver and I normally drive passengers from the airport to various places. This lady is my client, she arrived in America around 5pm. She was doing okay and seemed to be fine but I found her to be a little pale. She asked me to take her to various places. She said it doesn’t matter how much it will be and told me to just drive. During the ride, she was just sitting there and keeping quiet. But after about 2 hours of driving, she asked me to take her back to her hotel. But before we could even arrived at the hotel, she dropped down and became unconscious. I’m really worry, this has to nothing to do with me right?”

“Well for now, she is not in critical condition yet and yes it is not your fault.”

“So what should I do now?”

“You can leave but she has to stay here. We need to keep a close eyes and monitor on her condition. Since you are not related to her, you don’t need to complete any form.” Dr. Kim said and gestured the guy to leave.

“But I haven’t got pain yet.” The man insisted on staying. The nurse looked at him in sympathy, even though it seems ridiculous but it was his job, he deserved to get paid but there is a pair of eyes who was staring a hole in the guy’s head.

“Here this should be enough. You can leave, we don’t need you here.” Taeyeon who was finally done with her patient, said as she handed 500$ to the taxi driver.

“Taeyeon” Dr. Kim said sternly before the gesturing her to follow him.

“Get the girl a room.” He said before taking off.

 

Dr. Kim’s Office

“How many time have I told you to stop acting like a complete jerk?” Dr. Kim said as he seated himself comfortably on his office chair.

“He was acting like a cheap bastard and you call me a jerk?” Taeyeon said looking at her dad like he was going insane.

“That was his job and he deserved to get paid. He was responsible and sympathetic enough to take her to the hospital.”

“Still it was ridiculous, the girl is in critical condition. How could he still think about money?” Dr. Kim turned his attention back to all the patients’ profiles on his deck, tired of listening to his daughter. Taeyeon looked at her dad, there he goes again, only care about things that doesn’t matter.

“Since you learn to care enough finally to find his action ridiculous, then you take charge of her case.”

“What? I have enough patient as it is. There are more than a hundred doctors in this hospital, why do I need to take her?”

“Because you care about her.” Dr. Kim said as he put the files down.

“She is not even a brain damage patient.” Taeyeon protested.

“She does show signs of it.” He said, finally she was going mum. He was right, she did showed signs of it.

“I take that as a Yes then.” He smiled and patted her on the back before making his way to his next patient.

 

End of flashback

 

Teayeon’s POV

 

Unknowingly she became my happiness. The happiness that can be taken away from me at any seconds. The happiness that permanently owned by Kwon Yuri.