3. Familiar

Perks Of Dating Byun Baekhyun

Haeun has been friends with Baekhyun since she moved from Guam to South Korea when she was 11 years old. He first met this tanned girl who only spoke English and got bullied by the kids at the playground. Like the gentleman he is, Baekhyun protected her and chased them away. She was shivering in fear and wrapped her arms around her tiny body. 

"A-Are you okay?" Hearing his accented English, she peeked slightly and nodded her head. He offered his hand to her with a wide smile. She gingerly took his hand and got up from the sandy ground. 

She dusted her dress and winced as she noticed the blood trickling down her knees. 

"You're hurt! Come on1 I'll bring you to my house to get it treated!" She looked confused at him as he bends down in front of her. He patted his back, and she wrapped her arms around his neck and got onto his back. 

He held onto her securely so that she does not fall from his back. 

"My name is Byun Baekhyun. Baek-Hyun." He introduced himself to the little girl on his back. 

"Bacon. Bacon? Why is your name Bacon?" She frowns but he could only just laughed at her attempts trying to pronounce his name, but it all came out sounding like 'Bacon'. 

And that is how Baekhyun became Bacon. 

 

He performs first-aid on Haeun while his mother calls her parents. Her big doe eyes stare at him while he gently cleans her wounds and placed a pooh plaster over her wound. 

"Your mother is coming over to pick you up. Do you want some snacks while waiting?" Haeun's stomach answered for her as it growls loudly. She hid her face in embarrassment. 

Baekhyun got up and went to his snack stash and passed her a choco pie.

"Choco-pie. Chocolate." He tried to describe in his limited English vocabulary. She tore off the packaging and took a small bite out of the delicious chocolate snack. Her eyes lit up and took another bite. Baekhyun was relieved when he saw her enjoying the snack. 

"Hyun-ah, her mother just arrived." His mother informed the two of them. He helped her up and guided her to the front door. Her mother was a beauty like her. Her mother was shocked at her injuries but thanked both Baekhyun and his mother for taking care of Haeun.

Before she left with her mother, she leaned forward and planted a kiss on his cheek. He held the cheek that she just kissed in shock and waved at her. Maybe it was a custom that she learned from the country she grew up in, but that just sent his heart racing. 

The only time that he has been kissed by another female other than his mother was in kindergarten. Seeing her son's reaction, she sure hopes that beautiful foreign girl comes again. 

 

Ten years down the road, they are school mates but not together as a couple. Haeun distanced herself after Baekhyun got a girlfriend and took care of herself more. 

Baekhyun still remembered the first time that he saw her and had to rescue her from the neighbourhood bullies. Now, they could not even hold a five-minute conversation. Her pink diary sits on his table idly. 

He sits in front of the table and opens the first page. 

Hey Pinky! I saw Baekhyun today, but I'm afraid to approach him. He became more handsome after the holidays, and I still look the same... I wish I would be the one holding his hand and going out for lunch dates. Pinky, did you know, I have like Baekhyun for ten years? Like or love? I'm not really sure, but he sure does have a special place in my heart. I wanted to confess, but the timing doesn't seem right... 

Pinky!!! I talked to Baekhyun today! I sound so silly, don't I? A university student still fangirling about her crush at this age? But this is the only way that I can talk about my feelings. Seeing all the couples in school makes me so lonely T_T  I wonder how does it feel about going out with a boyfriend? Is it as romantic as mama says? If Baekhyun was my boyfriend, I want to go and have Tteokbokki by the street stall during winter! After that, I want to walk around the park and fool around! Well, that is a dream...

I want to give up. Pinky, I am out of his league. I just found out that he is going out with Miss Perfect, Kim Junhee. Should I move on? I am just going to drown my feelings in food now. 

Hyunsu told me not to give up, but I already am. I came to Yonsei because Baekhyun was coming here too. I rejected my MIT scholarship for Yonsei. I know it's kind of stupid to give up my dream to go to my dream university, but I don't regret it. At least, this will be my last four years with Baekhyun. After university, I'm leaving for France for further studies and maybe work there? I know my love for Baekhyun will remain unrequited, so I am just going to make full use of my remaining time here to admire him. 

It hurts to know that I am not the one that he loves. I wish I could have the courage to tell him my true feelings, but I'm a coward. 

Baekhyun drops the diary in shock. Haeun has feelings for him? He has already broken up with Junhee, but she kept on wanting to rekindle their love, but he fell out of love with her. Or was it love in the first place? 

He knew that Haeun was hiding something when asked about her university plans. How could she sacrifice her dream and followed after him? It was cute at first at how she has a crush on him, but then she accepted the fact that she has no chance with him. Baekhyun let out a sigh and pinched his nose in distress. 

Who could he go for when he needs some advice with dealing with Haeun? 

Hyunsu. 

 

"Why did you call me out so late? What's wrong?" Hyunsu sat beside him in front of the convenience store. 

"Haeun...She has a crush on me?" Baekhyun asked him. Hyunsu paused for a moment and nodded his head.

"Noona, she loves you. Even though she did have a few boyfriends in junior high and high school, she still loves you. She and Mama had a huge fight over her not wanting to go MIT. Until now, the two are now not on speaking terms. She did choose Yonsei because of you, but noona did not regret attending Yonsei at all." Hyunsu revealed to him. Her relationship with her mother was that bad? 

Baekhyun was now processing all this information. How could he be so blind that one of his closest friends has feelings for him and sacrifice a lot for him? 

"By the way, did something happened to you and Junhee? She caused the injury on Haeun's leg." Baekhyun stood up from his seat. He needs to do something about Junhee. 

"We broke up already. Thanks for coming out. Got to go now!"


Hey! HEY! HEY!

I'm finally done with another chapter!!! 

This is kind of like a filler chapter and a brief revelation of Haeun's and Baekhyun's history! 

Hope you guys enjoyed this update! 

Also, if there are any new readers, hello! Welcome! 

Enjoy! Do comment to show support for this story! I love reading comments!

Stay safe and healthy! 

With love, 

Rosalie:)