Call me... Yeonwoo.

Reply 1430
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We'll miss you." Hyebin sniffed.

  

It was early in the morning, and Dabin was saying farewell to her family.

 

"Hyebin ah, lead our sisters well, okay?" Dabin instructed. "I know this'll be hard for you, but I have to go."

 

"Go then, before I really cry out loud." Hyebin whispered.

 

"Jooe, try not to be so crazy, okay?" Dabin ruffled her sister's hair.

 

"Mmm." Jooe agreed.

 

"Ahin na, try to only eat three meals a day. It's good for your digestion."

 

"I'll miss you." Ahin threw her arms around Dabin, slipping something into her pocket. Dabin decided not to look at what it was.

 

"So will I." Dabin murmured. "But enough of this." She turned to her father the Emperor.

 

"I am dead now."

 

"Yes." Sejong agreed. "You died of sickness."

 

"I shall see Your Majesty next spring, when I enter the Exams."

 

"Very well." Sejong nodded.

 

He watched Dabin saddle her horse, then he wiped a tear away from his eye, as her silhouette became farther and farther.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dabin rode faster and faster, out of the capital, and onto the roads towards the other provinces. She wanted to explore, and she decided to go to the seaside.

 

The Ganghwa Island Garrison would do, she reasoned, as it was one of the largest trading sea route docks. It was high noon by the time she had arrived.

 

She admired the business of the trade, fishermen rushing about with nets, foreigners selling their jade and silver. It was busy, and there certainly would be something for her to explore.

 

She rode down the slope, and looked at the trading ships. They were so huge and majestic, they captured Dabin's attention. She didn't even notice the girl in front of her.

 

"Hey! Stop!" A voice piped up.

 

Dabin looked. She was this close to trampling the poor girl. "I'm sorry."

 

"You should be! Who are you?" The girl pointed a delicate finger at Dabin.

 

"I'm... well..." Dabin couldn't say her own name, therefore she opted to choose an alias. "My name is Yeonwoo. Yours?"

 

"I'm Nancy." The girl replied.

 

"Nancy. You're not from here, are you?" Yeonwoo asked.

 

"No. My father's family originate  from Europe, while my mother's family is from Joseon." She wrinkled her brow. "Why am I telling you this?"

 

"Because I generally have that effect on people." Yeonwoo said.

 

"Hmm." 

 

"Why're you here? Are you trading with your father?" Yeonwoo asked.

 

"Yes." Nancy said. "My father is a great person."

 

Something fell with a plunk, and Yeonwoo turned. It was her book, with the title 'Joseon'.

 

"Hey! My father wrote that book." Nancy said. 

 

"Did he?" Yeonwoo asked. This book was absolute rubbish, but she kept silent.

 

"Nancy! Come back here and help!" A voice yelled. "They aren't unloading themselves!"

 

"Coming!" She yelled back. "D' you want to help unload our stock? We can talk."

 

"Okay." Yeonwoo shrugged. "Just give me a roof to stay under, and I'll be fine."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter